Does Kelly Olynyk project to be more like Detlef Shrempf than anyone else?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

Does Kelly Olynyk project to be more like Detlef Shrempf than anyone else?

Shrempf was on one of my all-time favorite teams.The Payton and Kemp Supersonics. Celtics west!

I saw them play in the Gahden once upon a time. What a thrill that team was.

If Kelly can be a post up and playmaking threat like Shrempf we'll be in good shape.

Right now Kell's moves down low are tooooooooo slow and indecisive.

Study some Detlef video Kelly!!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Re: Does Kelly Olynyk project to be more like Detlef Shrempf than anyone else?

Kelly is way bigger than shremph.  Shremph was more of a wing player as I remember, and seemed much more coordinated.  Kelly will have to work on his shot a lot.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

In response to cole-ely's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Kelly is way bigger than shremph.  Shremph was more of a wing player as I remember, and seemed much more coordinated.  Kelly will have to work on his shot a lot.

[/QUOTE]

Yes. Detlef was better than Dirk in a lot of ways. The dude doesnt get the respect he deserves. He was 6-10 ish with great guard skills and post up moves.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

I remember when he came in the league (wasn't he with indy to start?) he was labled a "poor man's Larry Bird."

I was thinking he was more like 6-7.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

[QUOTE]

I remember when he came in the league (wasn't he with indy to start?) he was labled a "poor man's Larry Bird."

I was thinking he was more like 6-7.

[/QUOTE]

You probably thought that because he was so smooth off the dribble. They always listed him as 6-10. Basketball reference now lists him at 6-9.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Good topic.  Oly has been and continues to be an enigma for me.

I'm not sure who to compare him to.  I think the C's envisioned him developing into a poor mans Dirk at PF, but thats a huge stretch, no pun intended.

AT Center:  He has intriguing strengths - good size, good shot out to 18 feet, runs the floor ok and has a good post game.  But he is a below the rim player, not a particularly good rebounder nor shot blocker and cannot defend against even decent starting centers.  He looked awful in summer league underneath imo.  He is a situational back-up player at center who might be effective against limited centers like Asik.

At Power Forward:  Unfortunately he has slow feet and lacks athleticism.  He cannot defend PFs and is not an effective offensive threat against starting NBA PFs who are more athletic and faster.  His lack of athleticism and slow feet and lateral movement prevent him from effectively covering most PF imo.     

As a defective tweener, I don't think he fits with the Celtics.  I would not be opposed to trading Oly.  IMO, He would be valuable on a team with a strong established defensive center like Houston/Howard, Cousins, Drummand

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

OLY looked like he ate Phil Pressey over the summer.  I thought he looked HUGE (in the bad way) in summer league.  I think he will be part of the rebuild, but like Dunker said, probably not a big part.  I see him as a Boris Diaw ceiling................which is great if we ever get to be good.

We need scorers, and he's a facilitator.  I do like the guy, though.

"Climb on my back, boys, and I'll take you home." - Cedric Maxwell

"You show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." - Red Auerbach

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr

If no Bynum injury, no Gasol trade - last word!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

When he first came I thought he was going to be a better shooter than he turned out to be.  It seems like he has small hands, or plays that way.  Seems uncoordinated.  I'd let him go if there was a taker. Sully a much better, more natural player.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hondorondo. Show hondorondo's posts

I thought KO was scrappier toward the end of the season (diving for more loose balls, taking charges, etc.). I think he will show significant improvement this year. Other players have used their IQ to help diminish their limited quickness. KO might just become a crafty player with some valuable tools. I could see him becoming an 18 and 8 type of guy but I think that's his ceiling.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Right now he's more like an 8 and 2 guy.  I can see him scoring 14 if he gets 30min.  But I don't see him ever averaging 8 rebounds.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

hmmm....can't edit posts...I was going to add that it wouldn't shock me if he averaged more assists than westbrook this year, however.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

[QUOTE]

hmmm....can't edit posts...I was going to add that it wouldn't shock me if he averaged more assists than westbrook this year, however.

[/QUOTE]

haha.  True.  He is an excellent distributor.   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

In response to DaCeltics' comment:

Shrempf was on one of my all-time favorite teams.The Payton and Kemp Supersonics. Celtics west!

saw them play in the Gahden once upon a time. What a thrill that team was.

If Kelly can be a post up and playmaking threat like Shrempf we'll be in good shape.

Right now Kell's moves down low are tooooooooo slow and indecisive.

Study some Detlef video Kelly!!!!

DETLEF SHREMPH ? WE CAN ONLY HOPE SO !

I do think Olynyk will turn out to be better than Christian Laettner, Tom Gugliatta, and Keith Van Horn - that's white shadow good !

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Laettner had a couple of good years with atlanta.  If kelly could rise to that level but maintain it longer, I think he would be a nice asset.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticGreenLP. Show CelticGreenLP's posts

I can't believe I am saying this but I actually somewhat agree with DA-Celts here...???  And not that Olynyk is exactly like Shrempf but that they can have a similar career arc, and overall offensive impact.

The similarities are there. Both can shoot with equally efficiency from either side of the court, have a similar range, and could/can also be "nifty" when scoring inside.  Little flip shots, up and unders, shots that make you go, "how did he not get blocked right there?" And both can run the floor and finish well in the fast break. Detlef just looks prettier doing it.

Shrempf definitely has an edge on the Klynyk in a lot of respects. The first of which is slippery quickness which allowed him to play high quality defense against SF's. Olynyk definitely doesn't have that, or Shrempf's reach. I don't know what the measurements are, but I wouldn't be surprised if Shrempf had a better standing reach then Kelly, even though he was 2-3" shorter. He was gangly! 

I also think that if Detlef played today he would definitely be a "stretch 4" like Oly. But back then he was just too skinny to play against the hulking PFs of the day.  Guys like Oakley, Barkley, Malone, Larry Johnson (circa Charlotte Hornets LJ) Mason, The Davis Brothers, ect. But Schrempf could play that position in today's NBA without a doubt, and he would probably have been better. 

Shrempf averaged 15-19 PPGs over an 11 year span during his 16 year career.  Those are lofty numbers for Kelly to achieve, but IF he dedicates himself to a Garnett-esque rigorous training regime, gets himself, and stays in his top physical condition he could get close to that kind of production for a long time. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

Whooooaaaa! CelticG  agrees with me? 

Delete this thread, it must be bunk!

Ha ha ha!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticGreenLP. Show CelticGreenLP's posts

In response to DaCeltics' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Whooooaaaa! CelticG  agrees with me? 

Delete this thread, it must be bunk!

Ha ha ha!

[/QUOTE]

Lol!!! You know I got yo' back Da! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

Detlef was de bomb! SChremp was an NBA 6'9. He had a great game, steady, could play with any body or in any system. Got to give it the Dirkster though he is to stretch 4s & 5s as Doc was to above the rim bball.

Googs in his prime was a good player.

KO shows some good stuff, but this and next season will determine the path of his career.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CeltsFanInNH. Show CeltsFanInNH's posts

[QUOTE]

Right now he's more like an 8 and 2 guy.  I can see him scoring 14 if he gets 30min.  But I don't see him ever averaging 8 rebounds.

[/QUOTE]

He averaged 8 and 5 last year. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Really, I'm shocked.  Still, my point being that I think he'll continue to morph toward the perimeter and I think it's his nature not to play rough.  If he can get out of the paint, I think he will.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

I guess there were a lot of rebounds available last year, huh?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wicksandrowe. Show wicksandrowe's posts

We, and he, should be so lucky.

Schrempf was a legit, through and through, very, very good NBA player. Made All Star games, 6th Man of Year twice. Was arguably the best player on 95 Sonics of Kemp, Payton, Perkins, etc. He shot +50% from 2 and 3. And all as a SF at 6'9" +

Schrempf was an athlete and physical enough to get his 9-10 boards when he played PF and 5-6 when he played SF. And he always could pass.

For many reasons I don't see Olynyk creating a Schrempf resume. Olynyk is physically inferior to Schrempf in nearly all ways except in height where he is a scant 2 inches taller. He loses that immediately in standing reach and wingspan. He can't run with Schrempf. He's not as physical inside. That's not to say that Schrempf was a beast, but Olynyk really has been weak amongst the trees inside. Olynyk is nearly totally floor-bound with no lift at all. Having to depend on step-backs and sneaky under the arms scoop-shots is not a good long-term strategy for an NBA PF or C.

Olynyk has some attractive qualities for a player 7' tall but unfortunately they're the qualities of a PG or SG. He's a bit of a novelty player in that regard. Great if those also came with some standard 7-footer characteristics. But his short arms, small hands, soft body, slow feet are spelling more Michael Smith for me than Detlef Schrempf or Dirk Nowitzky

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

In response to wicksandrowe's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We, and he, should be so lucky.

Schrempf was a legit, through and through, very, very good NBA player. Made All Star games, 6th Man of Year twice. Was arguably the best player on 95 Sonics of Kemp, Payton, Perkins, etc. He shot +50% from 2 and 3. And all as a SF at 6'9" +

Schrempf was an athlete and physical enough to get his 9-10 boards when he played PF and 5-6 when he played SF. And he always could pass.

For many reasons I don't see Olynyk creating a Schrempf resume. Olynyk is physically inferior to Schrempf in nearly all ways except in height where he is a scant 2 inches taller. He loses that immediately in standing reach and wingspan. He can't run with Schrempf. He's not as physical inside. That's not to say that Schrempf was a beast, but Olynyk really has been weak amongst the trees inside. Olynyk is nearly totally floor-bound with no lift at all. Having to depend on step-backs and sneaky under the arms scoop-shots is not a good long-term strategy for an NBA PF or C.

Olynyk has some attractive qualities for a player 7' tall but unfortunately they're the qualities of a PG or SG. He's a bit of a novelty player in that regard. Great if those also came with some standard 7-footer characteristics. But his short arms, small hands, soft body, slow feet are spelling more Michael Smith for me than Detlef Schrempf or Dirk Nowitzky

[/QUOTE]
    I think he will work on his body, get lean and average 17ppg/7rpg/4apg in his prime. He will develop a decent post up game eventually.

I have faith. He's smart enough, and dedicated enough. Let's hope!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]

Laettner had a couple of good years with atlanta.  If kelly could rise to that level but maintain it longer, I think he would be a nice asset.

[/QUOTE]

Christian Laettner was the comparison I made a few months back and went into it pretty extensively with stats and a lot of talk about the two players games.

I can see a little Schrempf in him, or PF's like Gugliotta, Clifford Robinson and Tom Chambers. But unlike those guys he does not have the ability to play any SF and will be at center, and hopefully not counted on to be more than a 6th-7th man, for much of his career.