Donny Marshal MUST GO

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticelmo. Show celticelmo's posts

Donny Marshal MUST GO

Am I the only one who is sick and tired of listening to Donny Marshal? This guy talks like he was Bill Russell and he was a sub par Pro. Never a Celtic, was he? I remember him saying earlier this year ON AIR when asked why he did not go with Ray Allen to Miami that " Ray would not put him on the payroll, so HE HAD TO STAY HERE". I am also tire of hearing him debate Tommy Heinsohn who has forgot more Basketball than he will ever know. Maybe I am off base here but anyone else feel the same?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DFURY13. Show DFURY13's posts

Re: Donny Marshal MUST GO

I agree the Uconn connection he had is now in Miami. Scalabrini has way more personality and he was a celtic. I think it's time to ditch Donny. It happens to all of them at some point. Look at Coach Willie May. He was a respected sideline guy and now he is a cartoonish hype guy.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

I can't belive anyone would complain about donny marshall when one of the worst announcers to ever work in pro sports continues to broadcast television games and fans are forced to endure his consistently awful work. heinson is completely out of touch with the nba game, does abslutely no research, makes horrible jokes, conistently leaves off in midsentence when trying to make a point known only to him, mis-identifies players, loses his train of thought often, gets calls wrong, and continuously misunderstands what's going on in the game. the worst is when he corrects and/or makes fun of the very good mike gorman, and mike bites just bites his tongue, ven though tommy is almost always wrong. heinson may have been a quality player, and a decent coach, but he was never a good broadcaster, and he should have retired at least a decade ago. if he wasn't an all time celtic and firing him wouldn't come with a PR issue he would have been gone long ago. Coudy was three times the broadcaster toomy is, and personally i'll take donny marshall OR scalabrine any day of the week over tommy. poor mike gorman. don't know how he's put up with that buffoon for all these years. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to Kirk6's comment:

Tommy Heinson is awesome.

He is smarter than most of the guys coaching in the NBA.

And Mike Gorman is the best announcer in sports today.

Donny Marshall is awful, just awful. He never shuts up.

i agree 100%

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

I like Tommy.  Its definitely not because he is a good announcer.  He does make lots of mistakes, and yes he is a real homer.  Big time.    Yes i guess he was a good coach.   Could he get a announcing job anywhere but Beantown?   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DFURY13. Show DFURY13's posts

Tommy used to do the National Broadcast back in the day. Nobody is a bigger homer than that a**hole for the yankees. Tommy is a homer, but outof touch? No. Tommy is a colorful guy and the contrast in style between he and Mike Gorman is what makes the television broadcast so great. I am always entertained by that tandem. Donny Marshall knows the game and was a player, but A. He is too bland B. He is very smug and thinks he's the smartest guy in the room C. He needs to learn that less is more and to shut up. Scal get's all that stuff and has personality. I actually enjoy Scal when he's on.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticelmo. Show celticelmo's posts

In response to DFURY13's comment:

Tommy used to do the National Broadcast back in the day. Nobody is a bigger homer than that a**hole for the yankees. Tommy is a homer, but outof touch? No. Tommy is a colorful guy and the contrast in style between he and Mike Gorman is what makes the television broadcast so great. I am always entertained by that tandem. Donny Marshall knows the game and was a player, but A. He is too bland B. He is very smug and thinks he's the smartest guy in the room C. He needs to learn that less is more and to shut up. Scal get's all that stuff and has personality. I actually enjoy Scal when he's on.

And a major plus....Scal WAS A CELTIC. I would rather listen to Max bang on The Bird than listent DM. The guy thinks he was Bill Russell and I cannot listen to him say "back when I played" anymore. Rather he should say "Back when I had a front row seat on the bench". Bet he is not even a real Celtic Fan. Go back to Seattle and BRING IN SCAL!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jhol. Show jhol's posts

he never shuts up!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

while his rooting for the celtics during broadcasts has been a national joke for years it's not the worst aspect of tommy's game performance. the cries about fouls and the celtics being cheated have been beyond tiresome for several decades (realize it's part of an act he thinks works), but it's the lack of dedication to the job that's the problem - not knowing players, failing to follow the college game or euro leagues. it's astounding he gets away with it - this is his JOB. to whit, if you don't think tommy heinson is out of touch with today's nba game you don't know it either. I don't disagree with the posters complaining about donny marshall - I'm just saying in relation to heinson the guy is a relief (yes, despite the way overboard self-referencing). and i'll take bland over incompetence any day of the week. I guess people do find henson entertaining - that must be it. I don't and never have. johnny most was a ridiculous homer - so much so that he became a kind of cartoon character by the end of his career. Now he was entertaining. But he was also a great broadcaster. in the same way bill russell was awful, and cedric maxwell (the charter member of the larry bird bashing club) is not much better, Heinson is just a bad basketball color guy and almost impossible to listen to if you want to truly follow the game and/or learn anything about basketball. if you listened to brian scalabrine offering insight into nba defenses and player thought; giving run downs on some of the euro guys, it was simply a reminder of how lacking heinson is. mike gorman is a quality play by play guy who, had he chose a different oath, probably could have been big nationally. my thought is he could probably do a much better job on his own. just listen to the next broadcast - heinson continually pauses in mid-sentence, half-articulating ill thought out "points". He continually make noises or says things like"oh boy" or "jeez" or "you gotta be kidding me". He hardly ever gets specific about anything - instead making innocuous generalized points like "the celtics haven't run like this in years" or "I like sullinger" or "jeff green is really gonna help this team". even after all these years he leaves gorman speechless as he exhorts another bad joke or goes on some tirade about something he mistakenly thinks happened on the court. sorry, i love the celtics, and I respect tommy's long time association with the team, but I won't pretend he's something that he isn't. he's 78 years old and shouldn't be there. bob cousy was twice the analyst heinson ever was and he knew when it was time to leave. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stackgtr. Show stackgtr's posts

Im not surprised by all the hate on Donny Marshall... I for one enjoy what he has to say and look forward to when Tommy retires and DM takes over.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DFURY13. Show DFURY13's posts

I hope Tommy is there until he's dead.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to stackgtr's comment:

Im not surprised by all the hate on Donny Marshall... I for one enjoy what he has to say and look forward to when Tommy retires and DM takes over.

I can't stand Donny.  Now that Ray is gone he should be gone as well.  He offers next to nothing now that his contact Ray to the team is gone.  Scalabrini is light years of ahead of him. Rock headed Gary  Tanguay seems to be friends with him and hopefully that will not complicate his departure when his contract runs out.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stackgtr. Show stackgtr's posts

So Donny should leave because Ray is gone?? Where is the logic??

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DFURY13. Show DFURY13's posts

Gary Tanguay should go to. When the C's were lousy he and that clown that works the sideline wouldn't talk about the team at half time. Didn't even show highlights. Nothing. They covered spring training and or the patriots on the Celtics halftime show. Those two and Donny Marshall are the biggest phonies/hanger oner know nothings ever. Let Scal do the in studio half time stuff and let him do color on longer road trips and ger a guy who knows basketball to do it with him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to stackgtr's comment:

So Donny should leave because Ray is gone?? Where is the logic??

The logic is he is not knowledgeable.  He brings little in the way of insights and without Ray has zero inside information.  He stinks.  

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Tommy is like the rest of us - a die hard celtics fan.   Donny Marshall is like a movie critic:   over-analyzes and spends all of his time criticizing so we can't just enjoy the team.   

Someone said Tommy forgot more basketball that Donny will ever know.  So true!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

This convo is a little sloppy. 

For one thing Scal has almost no experience yet, he's still getting his feet wet. He's off to a promising start and he's signed for the year, there's not much more you can ask, he's not ready to replace anybody - yet. 

Max is the guy with more experience that in theory could replace Donny. 

But remember, Donny plays a couple of different roles - he's on the pre and post game and sometimes does road games when Tommy isn't there. 

I happen to think Donny is pretty good in the studio, I think he's smart without being a total homer. 

On the other hand I don't think he's as good as Tommy on the actual game calls. 

I'd rather see Max go in for Tommy when Tommy is not at the games. However, that opens up another problem which is that Max is great on the radio games and already has a gig there. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In response to bt33's comment:

. bob cousy was twice the analyst heinson ever was and he knew when it was time to leave

Indeed Couz did know when it was time to leave. His contract was not renewed.

He was ingloriously dumped.

Pud

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

This convo is a little sloppy. 

For one thing Scal has almost no experience yet, he's still getting his feet wet. He's off to a promising start and he's signed for the year, there's not much more you can ask, he's not ready to replace anybody - yet. 

Max is the guy with more experience that in theory could replace Donny. 

But remember, Donny plays a couple of different roles - he's on the pre and post game and sometimes does road games when Tommy isn't there. 

I happen to think Donny is pretty good in the studio, I think he's smart without being a total homer. 

On the other hand I don't think he's as good as Tommy on the actual game calls. 

I'd rather see Max go in for Tommy when Tommy is not at the games. However, that opens up another problem which is that Max is great on the radio games and already has a gig there. 

I agree Max is someone I'd rather than see than Scal.....but the question of whether Donny should go is undisputed - PLEASE GO AWAY DONNY!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

In response to puddinpuddin's comment:

. bob cousy was twice the analyst heinson ever was and he knew when it was time to leave

Pud

true, it was not neccessarily his decision to go (though he handled his departure with class and said he was fine with it), however, it doesn't change the fact that he was always much better than heinson.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Pud

true, it was not neccessarily his decision to go (though he handled his departure with class and said he was fine with it), however, it doesn't change the fact that he was always much better than heinson.  

Cousy was very cerebral, thoughtful and candid. Maybe a bit too candid for management's liking.

A man of few words,  he rarely pulled his punches. A joy to listen to.  I would swap Couz for Tommy in a skinny minute... and keep Gorman. 

Pud

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Pud

Cousy was very cerebral, thoughtful and candid. Maybe a bit too candid for management's liking.

A man of few words,  he rarely pulled his punches. A joy to listen to.  I would swap Couz for Tommy in a skinny minute... and keep Gorman. 

Pud

Cooz had quite a speech impediment.  There was a story that in the the sixties ABC wanted him to be the color guy on national broadcasts.  He did an interview and all seemed going in the right direction when as he got up to say goodbye to Roone Arledge the head of ABC sports "Cooz said "Goodbye Woone"and that was it for the job.

Sections
Shortcuts