Doom and Gloom

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConnectingRod. Show ConnectingRod's posts

Doom and Gloom

Billy Hunter's scare tactic is to tell NBA fans that there will be no NBA season this year.

As if the players are still going to get their saries if there is no NBA season. The players will be unemployed Mr. Hunter. What that means is no income!

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/6832574/billy-hunter-expects-entire-nba-season-canceled

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dirty52. Show dirty52's posts

Re: Doom and Gloom

In Response to Doom and Gloom:
    [QUOTE]Billy Hunter's scare tactic is to tell NBA fans that there will be no NBA season this year. As if the players are still going to get their saries if there is no NBA season. The players will be unemployed Mr. Hunter. What that means is no income! http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/6832574/billy-hunter-expects-entire-nba-season-canceled
    Posted by ConnectingRod[/QUOTE]

The NBA could always bring in replacement players

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: Doom and Gloom:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Doom and Gloom : The NBA could always bring in replacement players
    Posted by dirty52[/QUOTE]

There is NO chance of this happening - many owners have said they don't care if the season is cancelled!  Why would they do this, is makes no sense?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

The players responded to the NBA's move nearly four hours after it was released with the following statement:

"The litigation tactics of the NBA today are just another example of their bad faith bargaining and we will seek the complete dismissal of the actions as they are totally without merit. The NBA Players Association has not made any decision to disclaim its role as the collective bargaining representative of the players and has been engaged in good faith bargaining with the NBA for over two years. We urge the NBA to engage with us at the bargaining table and to use more productively the short time we have left before the 2011-12 season is seriously jeopardized."

The players don't sound very confident to me..and are gambling that the owners will cave in...not sure if this is the best tactic...its in their best interest to give in some and get back to the negotiating table and hammer our something before it becomes a long affair, in which everybody loses...

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/sam_amick/08/02/labor/index.html#ixzz1U4lK5cDr

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

www.boston.com/business/markets/articles/2011/08/04/stocks_slump_as_economic_europe_worries_continue/?p1=News_links">Dow average plunges 513,
    its worst drop since 2008

Stocks

News

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

In Response to Re: Doom and Gloom:
    [QUOTE]...........when an athlete such as Payton Manning is being paid If I spent over my budget who is going to give me some money to help me out...... I say professional sports is just a microcosm of what is wrong with the world today........whatever happened to an honest pay for an honest days work.....
    Posted by damfuno[/QUOTE]

Manning's contract now pays him what Tom Brady's gives him.  Are athletes worth that much money?  "In terms of what?" is the question.  Looking at the obscene amounts of money most NFL teams are taking in and understanding that the success of the franchise is due directly to the success of the players, then the players should share in that pot of dough.  If one compares what a professional athlete does and what a medical doctor does, then no, they are grossly overpaid, especially because no one's life or death depends on their performance.  You and I live in a different world and on a different philosophical plane.  Athletes are products of the "esteem" curse that has diminished the value of work and replaced it with self-aggrandizing and inflated egos that outweigh the sense of quiet humility that typified the athletes we used to admire.  Players were wont to publically embarrass an opponent by trash-talking, overt displays of taunting, or chest-beating (sorry KG).  But I wouldn't jump to the owners' side automatically.  They are the enablers, the ones who have paid enormous sums for marginal talent.  In baseball, the weak hitting, average fielding second baseman now demands a significant raise and new contract (what's wrong with the one signed a year or two ago?) for hitting .230 (or less) and three homers.  Someone will foolishly pay that player a salary that's not reflective of his contribution to the team, but it's the owners who have inflated salaries - no one held guns to their heads.  This is the case against league expansion whereby mediocre players who might not be in the bigs in the days of fewer teams is paid on a scale that belies his abilities.  So, an "honest day's work" in sports and the one we know doesn't equate in the context of our lives just like their "honest day's pay" to ours.  It's why most fans can't identify their lives with those of their "heros", and why LaQueen can't appreciate the daily struggles of the fans.  But, I'm not telling you something you don't already know - you're right and I agree, except for extending support to the owners by default.  Sometimes, neither party is admirable.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

Agreed, the owners created this iflated income scenario....i can'tr blame the players for trying to get the best deal...who honestly would not do the same???
    at the same time, if they want to jeapardise the season, its a gamble that they may regrett...the heck with it...
    im ready for for the WNBA???  Not really..NFL...yes,,,,,i wont't have to sign up for the NBA channel.