Dr Buss on Lakers/Celtics

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from KB24RULZ. Show KB24RULZ's posts

Re: Dr Buss on Lakers/Celtics

Bob- you speak the truth my friend! However, the single digit IQ's here will be unable to comprehend logic and fact.

Such is life!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

ok.....I'll let it rest......having more titles and a better winning percentage doesn't count for anything......having a huge lead head to head means nothing as well....I guess Hollinger's opinion trumps history...ok...let's move on....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulliu. Show paulliu's posts

In Response to Re: Dr Buss on Lakers/Celtics:
    [QUOTE]"You might not find this embarrassing, but, hey, that's your trip." It aint no thang to Laker nation. It is to Duke and his young confused upstart, but to everyone else, it's just not that big of a deal.
    Posted by EliasB[/QUOTE]

"Ain't no thang to Laker nation"?

You speak for all Laker fans?  And you call Duke presumptuous?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulliu. Show paulliu's posts

"Tard" and "re tard" (Sic). I haven't heard these terms used since I left Boston.   Is the guy a Laker fan in Celtic country?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from EliasB. Show EliasB's posts

"You speak for all Laker fans?  And you call Duke presumptuous?"

Unlike Duke, I'm a Lakers fan being presumptuous over MY team.

Cool

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]"Tard" and "re tard" (Sic). I haven't heard these terms used since I left Boston.   Is the guy a Laker fan in Celtic country?
    Posted by paulliu[/QUOTE]

And in third grade!!  re-tahd

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulliu. Show paulliu's posts

[QUOTE]"You speak for all Laker fans?  And you call Duke presumptuous?" Unlike Duke, I'm a Lakers fan being presumptuous over MY team.
    Posted by EliasB[/QUOTE]

Oh, now I understand.  Thank you.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulliu. Show paulliu's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dr Buss on Lakers/Celtics : And in third grade!!  re-tahd
    Posted by hedleylamarr[/QUOTE]

I thought that was "Tah-doe, Tah-doe."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EliasB. Show EliasB's posts

Bottom line is the Lakers and Celtics are the two greatest franchises in the NBA. The Celtics are great because of what they were able to accomplish 40 and 50 years ago. That is why they are great. Not because of what they have been able to accomplish since but because of what they were able to accomplish back in the 1960's. The Lakers are great because of what they have been able to accomplish since the 1960's. The 70's became like the turn of the century for basketball when the sport expanded big time (and continued to expand). The 80's definded who we are today.

That said, nobody can ever take away what the Celtics accomplished 40 years ago. That is theirs to keep forever.

Cool

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulliu. Show paulliu's posts

That's kinda presumptuous, don't you think?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bobbarcker. Show Bobbarcker's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dr Buss on Lakers/Celtics : OOOHHHHH - you are one tough guy. Your kids must be proud of your tenacity as a stalker.  I certainly hope Mom is the one working with them on their vocabulary.  When you can't win an argument, you resort to name calling.  I certainly hope your kids are learning tolerance at whatever school they attend.  Do they still tar and feather Celtics fans at that school?    I heard that was just recently outlawed out here in CA.  Boston 17, LAL 11 (plus the 5 they don't acknowledge) - can't wait for my puppet to respond.   Please use different words, as it is Thursday, and I'm sure your kids have a spelling test tomorrow.  Oh, btw, you must be the product of private school education yourself?
    Posted by hedleylamarr[/QUOTE]

If I am your puppet, then you are a schizophrenic. What kind of crazy are you to snitch on your own puppet? You take ratting to a whole new level. Typical government leach behavior personified.

Do you know the difference between home schooling and private schooling, or do I need to clarify it for you?

Tolerance? Typical public educating moron speak. That is exactly why I keep them away from low character nimrods like you and your kind. I would never let my kids be influenced by the weak nut jobs in the public education screw system. You dopey failures are too busy teaching attitude, and you fail miserably at aptitude. 

Your politically correct public education trash is not welcome in my household. You people are actively functioning in a system that is intended to dumb down our population, and you are all too stupid to realize it. None of you has any idea about the Prussian social engineering program the system you are now functioning is currently rooted. Public educating teachers are a bunch of institutionalized robots on power trips, too incompetent to actually do something with themselves. 

I was just looking through the Lakers media guide, you know the one the team publishes and makes available at the games? I turned to page 80, and look what I see under Records and History. Yep, the Minneapolis records and championships in all their glory, right along with the Los Angeles history. The acknowledgment couldn't be more clear.

Game, set, match.............

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Bob, don't you think we should have individual banners for the MN years and retire the numbers of the key players from that era?

We acknowledge it now, but even back in the 90's it was almost like a forgotten period for our Lakers. It seems to be small recognition of the MN era. A banner and mention of the titles.

Does any Laker fan know what became of the MN era trophies? It's a sad and deplorable tale.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bobbarcker. Show Bobbarcker's posts

[QUOTE]Bob, don't you think we should have individual banners for the MN years and retire the numbers of the key players from that era? We acknowledge it now, but even back in the 90's it was almost like a forgotten period for our Lakers. It seems to be small recognition of the MN era. A banner and mention of the titles. Does any Laker fan know what became of the MN era trophies? It's a sad and deplorable tale.
    Posted by RUWorthy[/QUOTE]

I could really care less. If the Lakers didn't hang a banner for this last championship, I could care less. I enjoyed the moment regardless, it happened, and now we are off to the future. 

I don't know, or care about any of the trophies either. Banners and trophies are symbols of an event that happened in a moment of time. Banner or no banner, the event still happened in history. Once the historical record is written, all else is nothing but a meaningless ceremonial ritual. I don't know about you, but I never refused to acknowledge the past. But, I don't live in the past either. These Celtics fans get all melodramatic about it because it is all they have. Without that ancient history, what have they got? They have been largely irrelevant in the modern era. In my lifetime, there has been no Basketball team that has won more, or displayed consistent excellence more than the Lakers. The history before my time is nice, but what I got to witness, and live through means a whole lot more to me.  

Just look at their plight today. This team loads up and all their fans are thinking Dynasty, after they end a gigantic drought and finally get a championship. Then their worst nightmare comes to fruition, and the Lakers hang a back to back right in the middle of their party. And now, with their record being threatened, they take to denigrating the Lakers franchise like a bunch of desperate children. That, I take offense too, and will not let it stand silently. You want to get upset about the style of banners, while at the same time allow them to slander the organization, suit yourself. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsalas67m. Show rsalas67m's posts

I understand why a few Celtic fundamentalist fans are going ballistic, fearing that the Lakers may win another title. That's how preoccupied and delusional some have become in Bean town. I believe that they are a very small minority.

Anything to disparage the Laker franchise and its extraordinary success. Whether its the "tainted championship," to now trashing the L.A. organization for what some twit in Boston feels has slighted the Minneapolis years, this who discussion is a joke.

I still didn't get an adequate response for not building a statue of Bill Russell. Hypocrites! Magic got 5% owership of the Lakers from Dr. Buss. What has the Boston franchise given to Russell for his contributions?

I'm stooping myself to your petty level to show that this discussion, searching for anything to belittle the Lakers, is ridiculous, hilarious, and downright pathetic by bringing up Russell.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

I'll never see last years title being tainted. Both teams had the chance to win the game, we did and for that I remain very happy. If the Lakers were in a similar situation to the Celtics and had a lead in the last quarter and lost the game, I'd be dirty, but more dirty on the players and coach for not executing the plays. 

As to MN and Laker history. I think fans should be respectful to their teams history and accomplishments. I love banners and retired numbers. Giving the team who won a championship and their star players (or even guys who made major contributions MICHAEL COOPER) are important and build to the tapestry of a teams dynamic, history and legacy. Maybe the last two points could be the same thing? Can completely understand where you come from Bob in regards to History. I think we probably have seen the same championship eras. I'm a history nut though and I love the fact we have such a rich history. Dr Buss not fully acknowledging our history is the only blight I have on his ownership of the team. 

With Buss and Magic, it's clear that Buss always had a fondness for Magic. And owing to Magics contributions it's a great thing to have done. I don't think the Lakers had an ownership situation like that in LA. Otherwise Russell may have similarly been given part ownership of the Celtics. The Celtics haven't been blessed like the Lakers to have ownership like Dr Buss. 

I don't think the Celtics fans should be that disappointed with their plight. They have won a championship and had one other trip to the finals. If you asked any of them in 2005 if by 2010 you'd have one championship and a trip to the finals I think they'd have taken it with open arms. But they have better administration these days. Which is a good thing for them. Nothing like having both the Lakers and the Celtics strong. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Elias, thanks for the faint praise for our Celtics....but you refer to our titles won 40-50 years ago?  .....we actually won in '86 and, if not for crushing injuries and two deaths we might have been winning into the '90's....."what if"....I know.....but the team remained a contender into the '90's.....you also stated that the Lakers greatness started in the '60's (I think that was your point)....just remember that the Lakers came to LA in 1959........they won their first title in '73 (I believe)....they won their next title in '80....so they won 1 title in the first 21 years in LA...the Laker greatness started in th '80's my friend.....that is, if you define greatness as winning titles...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Bob, you actually put this whole issue in perspective......you have lived through the Laker greatness over the last 30 years....it is your history.....I have lived through the Celtics championships....that is my history.....we both cherish the great moments and memories....and we look forward to the future....this is the greatest rivalry in sports....too bad we can't agree to disagree on which franchise is more relevant...the last 2 years it has been the Lakers....the year before it was the Celtics....and as we go back through the decades both have periods of greatness....my history just goes further back than yours...."iiwii".....it is what it is....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EliasB. Show EliasB's posts

[QUOTE]Elias, thanks for the faint praise for our Celtics....but you refer to our titles won 40-50 years ago?  .....we actually won in '86 and, if not for crushing injuries and two deaths we might have been winning into the '90's....."what if"....I know.....but the team remained a contender into the '90's.....you also stated that the Lakers greatness started in the '60's (I think that was your point)....just remember that the Lakers came to LA in 1959........they won their first title in '73 (I believe)....they won their next title in '80....so they won 1 title in the first 21 years in LA...the Laker greatness started in th '80's my friend.....that is, if you define greatness as winning titles...
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

When I refer to the titles won 40, 50 years ago, I am referring to greatness. Many teams have won a championship, I'm referring to the great Lakers and Celtics teams that made each franchise an exclusive club. Winning 3 titles in the 80's is impressive but that is not what made you great, remember, San Antonio won four, Chicago six, does that make them as great as the Lakers/Celtics? No. For the Celtics, had it not been for the great run of the 1960's, you all would be like the Bulls or the Spurs. Duke, the only reason your team can be considered among the top 2 franchises in the NBA (and even that is questionable among outsiders) is because of what your team did 40+ years ago.

""You also stated that the Lakers greatness started in the 60's..."

No that is not what I said. I said "The Lakers are great because of what they have been able to accomplish since the 1960's." I could have also said, they are great because of what they have been able to accomplish since the 1970's or the 1980's, or the 1990's, or 2000. The Lakers are great because of what they have been able to do decade in decade out starting in the 1970's. They made their mark in this league in 1972 when they had a record breaking season of 69 wins, 13 losses - a record untouched for 25 years. That year they won 33 straight (a record that will never be broken) and the title. Remember Duke it wasn't until expansion later in the decade that changed everything for the NBA.

I don't define greatness by how many titles the team has won alone since after all, we might have two teams with the same number of championships in the near future (hope, hope). You know as well as I know that the talking heads in the media are going to talk endlessly about which team is the greatest. I also think you know in your heart that it will probably be a universal acknowledgement that the Lakers are head and sholders above Boston in overall acheivments. 

There are big differences between our two clubs when considering EVERY category that makes a sports franchise great.

Cool

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from EliasB. Show EliasB's posts

Why the insults? You guys don't even know each other!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from KB24RULZ. Show KB24RULZ's posts

Re: Why not focus on the last 10 years, i.e. recent history?

In Response to Why not focus on the last 10 years, i.e. recent history?:
    [QUOTE]Lakers Finals: 7 appearances, 5 titles Celtics Finals: 2 appearances, 1 title On the matter of the stupid banners, try to keep in mind some simple logic. If  someone forgets or neglects to honor an event in history, (and even that much is debatable,) that is a far cry from making a conscious effort to "erase it." That being said, I have never heard of this 'issue' outside of this Celtic message board. Its a red herring / non-event / smoke-screen.
    Posted by lakersdude[/QUOTE]

Absolutely correct. It's the fear knowing the Lakers will have more titles so raising smokescreens is the only wat to deflect the truth and with it celtic pain.

Such is life.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Elias your last response to me made sense.....for the most part. I do agree that a title or two doesn't define a great team. I won't continue the back and forth an we are just going to continue to agree to disagree.......you know this whole issue began with a Laker fan posting an article in which Hollinger ranked the teams and made the Lakers #1....that was his opinion and he seems be a Laker fan himself....if I wrote an article and it was posted on a site would that make it legitimate? I will always look at four categories:

Number of championships
    Winning percentage when reaching the finals
    Strength of conference in judging degree of difficulty in reaching the finals
    Head to head records (ala Ali/Frazier)

This is only my opinion.....everyone has one.....

Peace

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from EliasB. Show EliasB's posts

"...if I wrote an article and it was posted on a site would that make it legitimate?"

If you worked for ESPN it would.

"...you know this whole issue began with a Laker fan posting an article in which Hollinger ranked the teams and made the Lakers #1."

Duke, I was the one who posted the ESPN article about the Lakers being the number 1 ranking franchise in NBA history. If I recall, the reason I posted the article was because you said that most NBA fans outside of Boston and L.A. know that the Celtics are the greatest franchise. I gave you the ESPN article and a FOX sports blog as a couple of examples of how most people in the media think the exact opposite. I told you that your statement makes no sense when you simply go into a search engine like yahoo or google to search out what people outside of Boston or L.A. are saying. No body except Celtics fans believe the Celtics are the greatest franchise in NBA history. That claim is reserved for the Los Angeles Lakers.

Cool

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

ok my friend....we can continue to agree to disagree.....that's ok with me....there really is no correct or conclusive answer....only opinions....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bobbarcker. Show Bobbarcker's posts

[QUOTE]Bob, you actually put this whole issue in perspective......you have lived through the Laker greatness over the last 30 years....it is your history.....I have lived through the Celtics championships....that is my history.....we both cherish the great moments and memories....and we look forward to the future....this is the greatest rivalry in sports....too bad we can't agree to disagree on which franchise is more relevant...the last 2 years it has been the Lakers....the year before it was the Celtics....and as we go back through the decades both have periods of greatness....my history just goes further back than yours...."iiwii".....it is what it is....
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

When I say relevant, I am referring to the competitive exploits of a franchise in say the last thirty years. The nostalgic stuff back from the fifties and sixties hasn't even been seen by the vast majority of NBA fans. Most people know of its existence, but it isn't relevant because most NBA fans weren't around to see it, or experience it. The biggest part of the experience of being an NBA fan is riding the roller coaster of a season into and through the playoffs as it happens. Lets face it, most people who witnessed the NBA in the fifties and sixties are either dead, or attached to an oxygen bottle. In thirty years from now, what has happened in the last couple of decade will cease to be relevant to that time. A whole new flock of people will fill the NBA fan ranks, and most of them will have not been around for the 90's and 10's.  

The last thirty years has not been that kind to the Celtics. The Celtics were in the lottery 9 out of the last 30 years. They got bounced in the first round in five of the years they did make the playoffs. They got 4 titles, and seven finals appearances. The Celtics spent 13 out of the last thirty years as an irrelevant non factor. They missed the playoffs for 6 consecutive seasons in this period. They weren't terrible, you could even call them good, but....

Now compare the Lakers in the last three decades. The Lakers only fell into the lottery twice. They got bounced in first round 5 times. The Lakers spent 7 out of the last 30 years as an irrelevant non factor. You have to go back 35 years to find a Lakers team that missed the playoffs two years in a row. There is 15 trips to the Finals, with 9 titles. When you go back three decades, the team that spent half their seasons playing in the NBA finals is going to be the most relevant.

If we were having this conversation in 1970, the Boston Celtics would be the most relevant team, without any doubt. But that was then, and this is now. In the last thirty years, the NBA audience has become global and has grown exponentially. During that growth it has been the Lakers that were the most dominant force. The Lakers are the first, and biggest global brand in the NBA because of this dominance.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from KB24RULZ. Show KB24RULZ's posts

[QUOTE]"...if I wrote an article and it was posted on a site would that make it legitimate?" If you worked for ESPN it would. "...you know this whole issue began with a Laker fan posting an article in which Hollinger ranked the teams and made the Lakers #1." Duke, I was the one who posted the ESPN article about the Lakers being the number 1 ranking franchise in NBA history. If I recall, the reason I posted the article was because you said that most NBA fans outside of Boston and L.A. know that the Celtics are the greatest franchise. I gave you the ESPN article and a FOX sports blog as a couple of examples of how most people in the media think the exact opposite. I told you that your statement makes no sense when you simply go into a search engine like yahoo or google to search out what people outside of Boston or L.A. are saying. No body except Celtics fans believe the Celtics are the greatest franchise in NBA history. That claim is reserved for the Los Angeles Lakers.
    Posted by EliasB[/QUOTE]

Brilliant!! However, for the boston trolls logic makes as much sense as it would to Paris Hilton. Doh!