Duke gets a beat down!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Laker-Nation32. Show Laker-Nation32's posts

Duke gets a beat down!

Duke challenged me when I stated that in the early 60 (1960-65) boston did not have to play a playoff series, they went straight to their conference finals (called a division final). I provided evidence...

http://www.nbauniverse.com/yearbyyear/1959_1960_playoffs_brackets.htm
    http://www.nbauniverse.com/yearbyyear/1960_1961_playoffs_brackets.htm
    http://www.nbauniverse.com/yearbyyear/1962_1963_playoffs_brackets.htm
    http://www.nbauniverse.com/yearbyyear/1963_1964_playoffs_brackets.htm
    http://www.nbauniverse.com/yearbyyear/1964_1965_playoffs_brackets.htm

I also stated that only 4 players were bigger than 6-8 when Wilt entered the league and gave more evidence....

http://www.411mania.com/sports/nba/48122/The-Death-of-the-NBA-Big-Man-Part-1.htm

Duke has now gone missing! Difficult for someone to get shown up so badly, guess he'll have to get another handle! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Re: Duke gets a beat down!

Gotta go with Duke on this one.  The article posted by troll man says Russ was drafted THIRD in 1956.  As any Celtics fan knows, Russ was picked SECOND in that draft:

In the 1956 NBA Draft, Boston Celtics coach Red Auerbach had set his sights on Russell, thinking his defensive toughness and rebounding prowess were the missing pieces the Celtics needed.[1] In perspective, Auerbach’s thoughts were unorthodox. In that period, centers and forwards were defined by their offensive output, and their ability to play defense was secondary.[18] However, Boston's chances of getting Russell seemed slim. Because the Celtics had finished second in the previous season and the worst teams had the highest draft picks, the Celtics had slipped too low in the draft order to pick Russell. In addition, Auerbach had already used his territorial pick to acquire talented forward Tom Heinsohn. But Auerbach knew that the Rochester Royals, who owned the first draft pick, already had a skilled rebounder in Maurice Stokes, were looking for an outside shooting guard and were unwilling to pay Russell the $25,000 signing bonus he requested.[19] The St. Louis Hawks, who owned the second pick, originally drafted Russell, but were vying for Celtics center Ed Macauley, a six-time All-Star who had roots in St. Louis. Auerbach agreed to trade Macauley, who had previously asked to be traded to St. Louis in order to be with his sick son, if the Hawks gave up Russell. However the owner of St Louis called Auerbach later and demanded more in the trade. Not only did he want Macauley, who was the Celtics premier player at the time, he wanted Cliff Hagan, who had been serving in the military for three years and had not yet played for the Celtics. After much debate, Auerbach agreed to give up Hagan, and the Hawks made the trade.[20] During that same draft, Boston also claimed guard K.C. Jones, Russell's former USF teammate. Thus, in one night, the Celtics managed to draft three future Hall of Famers: Russell, K.C. Jones and Heinsohn.[1] The Russell draft-day trade was later called one of the most important trades in the history of North American sports.[19]

- from Wiki, but every Celtics fan knows that.  Can't believe a tainted and wrong article, troll - so YOU have now been schooled!
    Bye!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Laker-Nation32. Show Laker-Nation32's posts

Dukey....awww don't be offended. After all, no one really watched the NBA in those days and no doubt you got confused!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

First off......I believe your post said the Finals.....my bad if I read it incorrectly...

Now as far as 4 players over 6-8......per Basketball Reference.com....the following names are on the '59/'60 rosters:

Phil Jordan
    Hub Reed
    Ray Felix
    Larry Foust
    Chuck Share
    Walter Dukes
    Gary Alcorn
    Clyde Lovellette
    Bob Pettit
    Bill Russell
    John Richter
    Wilt Chamberlain
    Joe Ruklick
    Connie Dierking
    Johnny "Red" Kerr
    Kenny Sears

I count 16 not 4.........and more entered each year.....starting with Rookie of the Year Walt Bellamy....ok...now you are back on ignore...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Laker-Nation32. Show Laker-Nation32's posts

In Response to Re: Duke gets a beat down!:
    Gotta go with Duke on this one.  The article posted by troll man says Russ was drafted THIRD in 1956.  As any Celtics fan knows, Russ was picked SECOND in that draft: In the 1956 NBA Draft, Boston Celtics coach Red Auerbach had set his sights on Russell, thinking his defensive toughness and rebounding prowess were the missing pieces the Celtics needed. [ 1 ] In perspective, Auerbach’s thoughts were unorthodox. In that period, centers and forwards were defined by their offensive output, and their ability to play defense was secondary. [ 18 ] However, Boston's chances of getting Russell seemed slim. Because the Celtics had finished second in the previous season and the worst teams had the highest draft picks, the Celtics had slipped too low in the draft order to pick Russell. In addition, Auerbach had already used his territorial pick to acquire talented forward Tom Heinsohn . But Auerbach knew that the Rochester Royals , who owned the first draft pick, already had a skilled rebounder in Maurice Stokes , were looking for an outside shooting guard and were unwilling to pay Russell the $25,000 signing bonus he requested. [ 19 ] The St. Louis Hawks , who owned the second pick, originally drafted Russell, but were vying for Celtics center Ed Macauley , a six-time All-Star who had roots in St. Louis . Auerbach agreed to trade Macauley, who had previously asked to be traded to St. Louis in order to be with his sick son, if the Hawks gave up Russell. However the owner of St Louis called Auerbach later and demanded more in the trade. Not only did he want Macauley, who was the Celtics premier player at the time, he wanted Cliff Hagan , who had been serving in the military for three years and had not yet played for the Celtics. After much debate, Auerbach agreed to give up Hagan, and the Hawks made the trade. [ 20 ] During that same draft, Boston also claimed guard K.C. Jones , Russell's former USF teammate. Thus, in one night, the Celtics managed to draft three future Hall of Famers : Russell, K.C. Jones and Heinsohn. [ 1 ] The Russell draft-day trade was later called one of the most important trades in the history of North American sports. [ 19 ]  - from Wiki, but every Celtics fan knows that.  Can't believe a tainted and wrong article, troll - so YOU have now been schooled! Bye!
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1956_NBA_Draft

Easy to explain....Heinsohn was a 'territorial' pick and is listed first. So, the argument about the 60s playoffs being a beast?????

Muahahahahahaha, SCHOOLED!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

hey......for almost 70 years MLB had the two league champs meet in the world series....it certainly worked just fine for decades....but expansion led to the need to, first add playoff rounds then, later on, increase them....as with today's NBA, MLB is also a watered down product that is in need of contraction....had to take you off ignore to point that out.....ok....back on....    ...oh..."Dukey"......?    how old are you?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DFURY13. Show DFURY13's posts

I don't know what he's getting at. When there are less teams winning is much harder because you could find 7 or 8 all start type players on each roster. There are guys back then that were 6-9 men that would start if thay had 30 teams back then. Winning all of those titles back then was an accomplishment, very tough to do back then and with caps and a watered down product even more impossible now. The guys an idiot. All he knows is Kobe and Gasol and had to wikipedia the NBA to learn anything.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Bill Russell from the University of San Francisco was selected second overall by the St. Louis Hawks and immediately traded to the Boston Celtics for Ed Macauley and Cliff Hagan.[2]

Troll man just schooled himself.  Your article said Russ was taken THIRD.  The one you used to counter my argument says SECOND.

Give it up, son, you're out of your league on this one!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

yep......a year or two before my time but wasn't that game televised to showcase Russ...?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from koberulz. Show koberulz's posts

In Response to Duke gets a beat down!:
    Duke challenged me when I stated that in the early 60 (1960-65) boston did not have to play a playoff series, they went straight to their conference finals (called a division final). I provided evidence... http://www.nbauniverse.com/yearbyyear/1959_1960_playoffs_brackets.htm http://www.nbauniverse.com/yearbyyear/1960_1961_playoffs_brackets.htm http://www.nbauniverse.com/yearbyyear/1962_1963_playoffs_brackets.htm http://www.nbauniverse.com/yearbyyear/1963_1964_playoffs_brackets.htm http://www.nbauniverse.com/yearbyyear/1964_1965_playoffs_brackets.htm I also stated that only 4 players were bigger than 6-8 when Wilt entered the league and gave more evidence.... http://www.411mania.com/sports/nba/48122/The-Death-of-the-NBA-Big-Man-Part-1.htm Duke has now gone missing! Difficult for someone to get shown up so badly, guess he'll have to get another handle! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Posted by Laker-Nation32

Laker fans just have a higher intelligence level than any other fan. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MajicMVP. Show MajicMVP's posts

I don't know what he's getting at. When there are less teams winning is much harder because you could find 7 or 8 all start type players on each roster. There are guys back then that were 6-9 men that would start if thay had 30 teams back then. Winning all of those titles back then was an accomplishment, very tough to do back then and with caps and a watered down product even more impossible now. The guys an idiot. All he knows is Kobe and Gasol and had to wikipedia the NBA to learn anything.
    Posted by DFURY13

When there are fewer teams, all stars are cheap.

When the league roster is 100, 24% of them are all-stars, 10% of them are all-NBA.

When the league roster is 360, what's the percentage of them are all-stars? all-NBA?

But fewer players really mean they are the best 100 talents in basketball? Same issue again: in the modern era, ~80% of the jobs are held by African Americans. Where were they during the 8-team era?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

I thought the Fakers got the real beat down.  Sweep city, game 4 blow out.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RicoLakerfan. Show RicoLakerfan's posts

In Response to Re: Duke gets a beat down! : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1956_NBA_Draft Easy to explain....Heinsohn was a 'territorial' pick and is listed first. So, the argument about the 60s playoffs being a beast????? Muahahahahahaha, SCHOOLED!
    Posted by Laker-Nation32

As a fellow lakaer fan I feel your pain with only 8 or so teams in the league we couldn't buy a championship, we kept running intoand getting whooped by the Celtics. They beat us red-headed step children. 

We were always their sonny to Cher, their Scottie to Michael, we were the Agassi to Sampras. We were second best. Just sayin'

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from koberulz. Show koberulz's posts

Duke was watching the Celtics when milk cost a nickle. Laughing

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RicoLakerfan. Show RicoLakerfan's posts

Duke was watching the Celtics when milk cost a nickle.
    Posted by koberulz

As was I. I lived through the many beatdowns the Celtics gave us. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

you're right kid.....and I remember gas at .29 per gallon too........it was during the decade of what we thought of as the "annual Laker beatdown"...gas did raise in prices...but the Celts kept on winning.....Lakers finally came through against us...it only took 27 years.....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Laker-Nation32. Show Laker-Nation32's posts

For the 16 games the Mavs wom in the playoffs this season, that would have been good enough for two titles in the 60s lmao!

Such was the 'NBA' in those days. HA HA HA HA HA

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from truth-torpedo34. Show truth-torpedo34's posts

The beloved Laker Lew Alcindor just stated recently that he believed the NBA was better in the 60's because the league's talent pool wasn't watered down with lesser talent that fills the extra spots on the expansion teams. If a Laker said it, you guys can't disagree with him.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MajicMVP. Show MajicMVP's posts

Modern era = shot clock All educated people agree on this!
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11

Modern era = ABA/NBA merger. You know it but your denial is understandable...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MajicMVP. Show MajicMVP's posts

you're right kid.....and I remember gas at .29 per gallon too........it was during the decade of what we thought of as the "annual Laker beatdown"...gas did raise in prices...but the Celts kept on winning.....Lakers finally came through against us...it only took 27 years.....
    Posted by Duke4

Ironic, isn't it?

It has been 27 years starting with the Lakers 1st win over the Celtics.

Counting that first win, the tally is 8-19 vs 2-25. Once the Laker broke the ice, the luck of the two franchises had headed in different directions....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MajicMVP. Show MajicMVP's posts

Modern era = invention of the shot clock! ALL educated people agree on this!
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11

Modern era = NBA/ABA merger. You know it but your denial is understandable.

Let's do this. Let's keep repeating this and see how long before our posts get deleted.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MajicMVP. Show MajicMVP's posts

No thanks, my father always told me not to waste my time arguing with an idiot. IGNORE!!
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11

It's not an argument. I am trying to educate you but obviously it's a lost cause...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

Modern era = invention of the shot clock! ALL educated people agree on this!
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11

And the 60's generation was superceeded by the Black dominated teams of the 80's to the present, which have taken the skill level of the game to the heights.  The slow footed, nailed to the floor white Americans,that played key roles in the 60's are now just about extinct in the nba. And you called that modern era basketball! But you are right about the shot clock. It did lift the game out of the dark ages and bring a much greater level of skill to the 60's. Without the shot clock the game might not have survived.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Good point Seems.......the game changed and for the better......eras in sports...

basketball....shot clock......Russ brings defense......Wilt redefines offense....the black explosion......the merger......Bird/Magic.....MJ......

baseball....the dead ball era....1920 and the live ball.......New York's dynasty beginnings......Jackie Robinson.....pitching dominates the '60's and they lower the mound....the ball gets juiced.....the players do the same shortly thereafter....

so many huge changes and yet, the games basically remain the same game....

whatever......loved sports back in the day.....love it today.....there is no changing that...

Sections
Shortcuts