Earth to Rondo!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Re: Earth to Rondo!!!

In Response to Re: Earth to Rondo!!!:
    In Response to Re: Earth to Rondo!!! : Smile.....you're right man - let's go Celtics!!!  We need to keep it up and get home court advantage against everyone we can. And to OneonOne.....I don't think its a knee jerk reaction. I know why you say that but this is a game thread.  Comments are being made all throughout the game on things going on at that specific time.  I said in one of my comments that while we made some mistakes, we'd come back strong in the second half.  So, many of us still had faith.  BUT, one cannot deny that in that second quarter, Rondo sort of disappeared.  Doesn't mean we don't love him, but we'd like him to step up at a point where we needed him....and he did!  Even the coach reacts during the game to players or things that need to improve. So, we're allowed our knee jerk reactions.  But you're also right that we need to keep the faith even when things are ugly.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life

Cfan you are right to a extent.  But the game is 4 quarters, not one.  Heck PP probably didn't score but 4 pts in the 4th quarter, does that mean he played a bad game. It seems like everyone thinks we walk on the floor and should dominate from the opening minute.  It just doesn't happen like that.  The C's are kind of like a meat grinder, slow but they flat wear you down.  You can tell the way the game looks.  i could tell during the first quarter of Phoenix that we didn't have it. I could also tell during the first quarter against the Lakers we were focused. We might or might not win but you could tell we came to play.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

Rondo seems to be saving his energy since he is playing point for both units, Koby is playing center field and practicing for what he will do in the playoffs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In Response to Re: Earth to Rondo!!! : Cfan you are right to a extent.  But the game is 4 quarters, not one.  Heck PP probably didn't score but 4 pts in the 4th quarter, does that mean he played a bad game. It seems like everyone thinks we walk on the floor and should dominate from the opening minute.  It just doesn't happen like that.  The C's are kind of like a meat grinder, slow but they flat wear you down.  You can tell the way the game looks.  i could tell during the first quarter of Phoenix that we didn't have it. I could also tell during the first quarter against the Lakers we were focused. We might or might not win but you could tell we came to play.
    Posted by OneOnOne

Agreed.  If I implied by my second quarter comments that I don't understand there are ups and downs in a game, I would be wrong.  I do understand that there are ups and downs all game long.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrleftfoot. Show jrleftfoot's posts

In Response to Re: Earth to Rondo!!! : it's all relative.  if 15 in each half would have set the table better for a decisive win rather than red-faced grunting out another close game late in the fourth then what's better?  i'd personally like to see rondo play all 48 (or whatever he's in there for) because i want the best for the team.  if he does that tonight then we're looking at extended garbage time and no starters on the floor for over 30 minutes.  right? and, no, i'm not talking about doubling his assists to 32.  i'm talking about being tuned in and aggressive all the time.  and i think that's what a lot of other people are talking about.  inevitably the team is better with a full time point guard who will de-construct flakes and fogies like steve blake and fisher like the point guard rubble that they are, if he can command the attention to get a point guard to guard him, and not kobe. there's a lot to be contemplated here.  we got burned BIG TIME last year in the playoffs vs. the lakers with kobe sagging off of rondo.  i never want to see that happen again.  do i feel comfortable right now that it won't?  not at all. hence the running commentary on rondo.  he's got to prove himself capable of being an all around threat compared to the mouse we saw in games 3-7 vs. the lakers.  that all starts by taking games seriously and playing whole games.  it's not like he's magic or some other living legend at this point in his career and can coast, not that even magic coasted. but what we are seeing this year is a half on, a half off from rondo.  not a good practice by any player.  he's still a mouse for 1/3 to 1/2 of any given regular season game in terms of aggressiveness.  so what does that turn into come playoff time?  can we afford to lose out on the opportunities lost with rondo's passivity during parts of the game?  why can't he just tune himself in and play consistently? are these dumb or ungrateful questions?
    Posted by aciemvp

Nobody`s perfect all the time except keyboard prognosticators.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrleftfoot. Show jrleftfoot's posts

Can guys just have a bad first half and a good second half without reading too much into it? Of course you have to question his bad first half, that is a given. You also have to acknowledge his good second half. My point is maybe it was a simple adjustment. Who knows? I just think there are times when we try to over analyze a situation. Maybe Rondo was hungry and ate a Snickers at half time.
    Posted by OneNation

Thank you. Everytime somebody performs poorly, whether for a game, a quarter or a minute, people on this board start questioning their effort. If sports were only about effort, all these posters would be in the NBA, giving 1000% and every game would be a tie, lasting into infinity.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KGLove. Show KGLove's posts

It should be Earth to Shaq!!! wt f happened with him... smh .... Rondo 15 assists in th 2nd half, he's there when we need him!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

I think Rivers is playing a head game with Rondo. Today it was Dr. Rondo and Mr. Hyde. Mr Hyde in the first half, Dr. Rondo in the second.
    Posted by Kirk6

After this performance by our Jekyll/Hyde PG, I think I understand why Doc is wanting to retire.

This was absurd theatre... and then to top it off, daddy Doc covers for Rondo by praising the quality of the "game" Rondo allegedly called.

Someone hit Rondo with a defibrillator at half time to get a pulse.

Pud

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icon11. Show Icon11's posts

In Response to Re: Earth to Rondo!!! : After this performance by our Jekyll/Hyde PG, I think I understand why Doc is wanting to retire. This was absurd theatre... and then to top it off, daddy Doc covers for Rondo by praising the quality of the "game" Rondo allegedly called. Someone hit Rondo with a defibrillator at half time to get a pulse. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin

So The Celtics go into LA and win by a ton and Rondo has 16 assists and you seem to be upset about something.  

it was a good day to be a Celtics fan brother man.  Relax a bit.  Enjoy yourself.  Good game by all tonight huh?  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

Rondo seems to be saving his energy since he is playing point for both units, Koby is playing center field and practicing for what he will do in the playoffs.
    Posted by maryngary

this team can't withstand another series of kobes playing sagman.  we're all a year older, can't have the lanes clogged like that for personnel movement.  fatal error.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

Geez Rondo was a non-factor the 1st half and people criticize you for questioning his effort just because he had a good 2nd half. Obviously Doc or someone talked to him and told him to pick it up. Good but let's not act like we're wrong for criticizing him. We've seen the flip side happen too....great 1st half and no show the 2nd half. He desrved the criticism the 1st half.
    Posted by BiasLewis

I think that is incorrect. He didn't have a good first half but the effort was there. sometimes no matter ho hard you are playing it takes a while to get in a rythem. Some nights you never get in a rythem. 

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

I agree with damfuno. All I'm saying is where were the fast break points in the first half? If Kobe is covering him in halfcourt sets it's much harder for him to have an impact on the game. If he's pushing the ball against a big team they cannot keep up.

I think he gets real hesitant to go in the paint because of the length of the Lakers. The 2nd half he was more effective because he was looking to be aggressive which opened it up for other guys and he dished it off.

Anyway I'm glad we won and Rondo at the end of the day played well. It didn't look like one of his more dominating games but to end up with 10pts and 16 assists is pretty good.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from gtown07. Show gtown07's posts

A little patience.  Rondo sliced LA apart in the 4th quarter.  I like what Van Gundy said: play tight on Rondo and you encourage him to drive.  Play off him and he sits there like a quarterback in the pocket picking out his targets.
    Posted by paulliu

This has been obvious for some time. The teams that do the best against the Celtics play him honestly and don't sag. The teams that sag get cut to pieces. Acie, Puddinhead and Duddud take note again...Rondo is different than your jump shooting model. He cut LA to pieces in the fourth quarter.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from gtown07. Show gtown07's posts

In Response to Re: Earth to Rondo!!! : it's all relative.  if 15 in each half would have set the table better for a decisive win rather than red-faced grunting out another close game late in the fourth then what's better?  i'd personally like to see rondo play all 48 (or whatever he's in there for) because i want the best for the team.  if he does that tonight then we're looking at extended garbage time and no starters on the floor for over 30 minutes.  right? and, no, i'm not talking about doubling his assists to 32.  i'm talking about being tuned in and aggressive all the time.  and i think that's what a lot of other people are talking about.  inevitably the team is better with a full time point guard who will de-construct flakes and fogies like steve blake and fisher like the point guard rubble that they are, if he can command the attention to get a point guard to guard him, and not kobe. there's a lot to be contemplated here.  we got burned BIG TIME last year in the playoffs vs. the lakers with kobe sagging off of rondo.  i never want to see that happen again.  do i feel comfortable right now that it won't?  not at all. hence the running commentary on rondo.  he's got to prove himself capable of being an all around threat compared to the mouse we saw in games 3-7 vs. the lakers.  that all starts by taking games seriously and playing whole games.  it's not like he's magic or some other living legend at this point in his career and can coast, not that even magic coasted. but what we are seeing this year is a half on, a half off from rondo.  not a good practice by any player.  he's still a mouse for 1/3 to 1/2 of any given regular season game in terms of aggressiveness.  so what does that turn into come playoff time?  can we afford to lose out on the opportunities lost with rondo's passivity during parts of the game?  why can't he just tune himself in and play consistently? are these dumb or ungrateful questions?
    Posted by aciemvp

I don't think they are dumb but they aren't very realistic and they do smack of being ungrateful. You and I are so lucky to be Celtics fans and we are doubly lucky to have a player as phenomenal to watch as Rondo. He sliced the Lakers to pieces in the 4th quarter yesterday in a way that no other point guard in the league could do. The Celtics were making the shots so that helps him look good just like the other night when he was dishing to wide open C's and they were missing wide open shots so he looked average.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from videoburns. Show videoburns's posts

To all those who's panties get all bunched up when defenders sag off RR - and swear that it marks the Celtics fatal flaw...  the sagging defender is free to clog the lane, pick off passes and double team (and block) Boston shooters.  Lets see how the strategy worked for LA's premium defender...   yes Kobe sagged off RR all game long...   and let's check the box..   I see...   38 minutes..  Zero blocks...   Zero steals...    hmmm.     oohh the C's were just shooting hot  ... anyone can play point with three superstars  hitting long range jumpers.....   lets check the shot chart...   hmmm    25 of 44 made shots  taken from 14 feet or less...  19 from 6 feet or less.                does it take a superstar to hit 6 footers?    Or does it take a floor general to create easy scoring opportunities?    

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from existentialparquet. Show existentialparquet's posts

In Response to Re: Earth to Rondo!!! : 10 points, 5 boards and 16 assists.  Lets cut him.
    Posted by Icon11

It is funny because that seems like a bad game. haha

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Earth to Rondo!!!:
    Hello, hello are you out there?? Ok Rondo MUST be hurt because he's done NOTHING the past week. He's not pushing the ball this game and he's not shooting. Our halfcourt offense is garbage right now. I think Rondo is hurt and we have no other PG to go to. The team overall looks like they are running in sand. It doesn't help when the tick tacky fouls are called for the Lakers. Frustrating game to watch so far.
    Posted by BiasLewis

It is a blessing when he is not shooting, not a problem.

He is not hurt..... he has done nothing the last week?

Last 4 losses - Rose, Brooks, Wall, Nash.....  hhmmmmm.... there are actually other players on the other teams - right?  It is not the globetrotters against the Washington Generals every night, there is no script, the outcome is not predetermined.  There are however players that are just as good if not a lot better that happened to be very bad match ups for Rondo.....I seemed to recall hearing yesterday that Rondo should not be allowing Fisher to get to the rim (wow - first team all-defense), one of the oldest most average point guards in the league.....

So as usual when Rondo scores 7, has 6 assists, and 7 turnovers like he did against Nash it is he is hurt or it is the refs.....just like everything else in life, there are external forces and a lot of times it is simply the other player.

Brooks had 24 and 9 against Rondo and Houston was missing Kevin Martin - did Rondo step up and take over the game (like a star might)?  Nope, got his assists and was basically a non-factor.

Did Rose carry the Bulls to victory without Noah?  Yes.

Did Wall hit the game winning shot?  Can you ever envision Rondo hitting a game winning shot?

Nash is Nash, enough said.

When Stockton averaged over 14 assists per game in consecutive years he also averaged 17 ppg, shooting over 50% from the field (oh and they weren't all layups), over 40% from 3 and over 80% from the line.

Perspective can be a bummer.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bilalkazmi. Show bilalkazmi's posts

In Response to Re: Earth to Rondo!!! : I agree and disagree..........the second half is why we love him.......the first half is why we are frustrated because he is so darn inconsistent and disappears at times........he is too young to be saving himself.......he had 1 assist in the first half and then 15 in the second........that just doesn't happen if you want to be considered elite.......he is perhaps one of the most frustrating players on the team.......
    Posted by damfuno

we must have been watching a different game.  even though Rondo didn't get a lot of assists in the first half, HE mostly called the best plays available which ended up with a basket and an assist for others.  As a team we had 34 assists.  In the first half other people got assists (based on plays that Rondo initiated).  And in the second half, Rondo got most of the assists.

Rondo called our plays and for the most part, he did a really good job.

It almost seems like we must have been watching a different game.  Even Bill Walton wasn't able to see this.  Sad.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Too many times Rondo is just standing at the top of the key holding the ball waiting for cutters...that gets frustrating. It seems like the Lakers are the only team I see that just don't cover him. Kobe is on him but he sloughs off so much trying to help that Rondo doesn't have anyone 3 feet in front of him. I just don't see other teams make it so obvious.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

Too many times Rondo is just standing at the top of the key holding the ball waiting for cutters...that gets frustrating. It seems like the Lakers are the only team I see that just don't cover him. Kobe is on him but he sloughs off so much trying to help that Rondo doesn't have anyone 3 feet in front of him. I just don't see other teams make it so obvious.
    Posted by BiasLewis

I am lambasted for suggesting that Rondo pounds the ball into the floor until he is virtually guaranteed of an assist.

I remember reading the other day from a poster here that they don't slack off Rondo anymore and he has "added the elbow jumper"..... one jumper per game, completely uncontested, nobody within 15 feet of him and he has "added the elbow jumper"..... avoid shooting, avoid shooting 3s, avoid going to the line, play with 4 hall of famers, and commandeer the 17th highest scoring offense....... hmmm...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In Response to Re: Earth to Rondo!!! : I am lambasted for suggesting that Rondo pounds the ball into the floor until he is virtually guaranteed of an assist. Posted by TheDUDDER

Guaranteed a assist?  That is great.   I hope he keeps pounding every game and getting his assists.  For some reason you don't put much stock in them. Well don't feel lonely a lot of people don't understand how to play the game. Did you ever play?  Doubtful.  Let me guess you didn't even watch the game.  Tell the truth now. I remember you used to post crap about games and then confess that you didn't even watch them.  You have gotten better, you don't let that get out any more.  I remember though dud. 

You are like broken record bringing up 4 games the C's lost and you throw Rondo under the bus. What about the 36 times they won?  You think they weren't against good pt guards?  You can't stand to be wrong and will never admit it.  Very Sad. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

Am I confused????  Did we win the game yesterday?  he is holding the ball...what do you want him to do?  Rondo is not the first option so he is waiting for the plays to develop.  Rondo took shots in the first half, but did make all of them.  I dont get it, we win and Rondo still can do any good.  Who cares if he had one assist in the first half? You cant be on all game long.  You guys act like other teams arent making adjustments to stop the Celtics.  God forbid any otherplaying has low stats to start and come on in the second half and we win....the world will be coming to an end.  Rondo called all the right plays all game long wether he directly or indirectly made a pass that lead to a basket.  pierce was the hot man and the ball got to him at the right moments for him to score. 

Should we have been up by 20 at the half?

Should Rondo have had a triple double by the end of the first quarter?

Dudder...all those other guards, what are their teams' records?

Its a shame folks have to nitpick like little biaaatches when we win.  If Rondo is so bad then some of you posters should start routing for another team where the point guard shots first. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

Am I confused????  Did we win the game yesterday?  he is holding the ball...what do you want him to do?  Rondo is not the first option so he is waiting for the plays to develop.  Rondo took shots in the first half, but did make all of them.  I dont get it, we win and Rondo still can do any good.  Who cares if he had one assist in the first half? You cant be on all game long.  You guys act like other teams arent making adjustments to stop the Celtics.  God forbid any otherplaying has low stats to start and come on in the second half and we win....the world will be coming to an end.  Rondo called all the right plays all game long wether he directly or indirectly made a pass that lead to a basket.  pierce was the hot man and the ball got to him at the right moments for him to score.  Should we have been up by 20 at the half? Should Rondo have had a triple double by the end of the first quarter? Dudder...all those other guards, what are their teams' records? Its a shame folks have to nitpick like little biaaatches when we win.  If Rondo is so bad then some of you posters should start routing for another team where the point guard shots first. 
    Posted by jdm894g

What do I want him to do?  Um... be like a player and shoot the ball......  one of the other teams records is 2 games worse than the Cs, the other teams don't have 4 hall of fame players to start with their point guard.

Not sure if you have noticed but pass first is a code word for completely unable to participate in the offense because they are the worst shooter in the league.  Not sure if you noticed but the shoot first point guards are generally regarded as the best point guards in the league.... probably because they are an option in the offense and have the ability to take over a game given that they are not lucky enough to play with hall of famers of every other position......

For the 10millionth time, give me any number of other point guards a preseason and Doc as the coach and the Cs are no worse off and in a lot of cases better.  Brooks goes off for 24 and 9 and his team is missing its two best players and they beat the Cs....  Rondo step up?  Nope.  Just one minor example.

There is not even a remote possibility that the Cs would be no worse off with Arron Brooks as the starting point guard.  They may give up a bit more but they would play 5 against 5 instead of 4 against 5 and everyone on the team would be an option and as was said about a dozen times in yesterday's game, nobody would be ignoring Brooks - he would be draining 3s, making jumpers from everywhere, and making 85% of his freebies - he would not be afraid to go to the rim, and so on and so forth... but of course because the Cs are winning nobody can even imagine that someone that does not currently wear green could make them better.

Sorry for being the objective person in the group.

Pierce was the hot man and the ball got to him.... and Rondo was being outplayed by a 35 year old and a complete non-factor.  When Carlos Boozer is the hot guy does Rose avoid shooting, avoid going to the hoop, avoid participating in the offense?  When Dwight Howard and Hedo are hot does Jameer Nelson run and hide in the corner choosing not to participate?

Just at least give it some sort of minor thought.......  tomorrow night they will see 2 point guards who if flipped for Rondo who leave the Cs no worse off and they both play for the same team.

But of course that is not possible because Rondo averages a dozen points (on the 17th lowest scoring team in the league) and averages a dozen assists - give either one of the guys we'll see tomorrow night 4 hall of famers and the Cs are no worse off.....

It is really good to talk about Rondo pounding the ball into the front court as the shot clock is running and he is causing 3 second violations when they win but when they are handily beaten it is completely ignored........  hhhmmmm....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Am I confused????  Did we win the game yesterday?  he is holding the ball...what do you want him to do?  Rondo is not the first option so he is waiting for the plays to develop.  Rondo took shots in the first half, but did make all of them.  I dont get it, we win and Rondo still can do any good.  Who cares if he had one assist in the first half? You cant be on all game long.  You guys act like other teams arent making adjustments to stop the Celtics.  God forbid any otherplaying has low stats to start and come on in the second half and we win....the world will be coming to an end.  Rondo called all the right plays all game long wether he directly or indirectly made a pass that lead to a basket.  pierce was the hot man and the ball got to him at the right moments for him to score.  Should we have been up by 20 at the half? Should Rondo have had a triple double by the end of the first quarter? Dudder...all those other guards, what are their teams' records? Its a shame folks have to nitpick like little biaaatches when we win.  If Rondo is so bad then some of you posters should start routing for another team where the point guard shots first. 
    Posted by jdm894g

Calm down man. I just bring it up as a discussing point. I gave hm props for turning it around the 2nd half. I'm still trying to find those 15 assists because it just didn't look like he had that many the 2nd half. LOL! I will watch the 2nd half again.

I also wasn't aware we were shooting a BLAZING 60% from the field. When you're shooting lights out like that you would expect to be up by 20. It looked like PP had 50 if you didn't see the boxscore.

It was just a weird game statistically.

Sections
Shortcuts