East and West

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BRADinLA. Show BRADinLA's posts

East and West

So, at the beginning of the season I really thought that the Celtics were going to have a much harder time getting through the East than the Lakers would have getting through the West.  But with the Spurs' victory over Orlando tonight, an 11 game winning streak and only one loss it looks like the Lakeshow might be facing a true threat in the conference finals for once in the past few years.  Then there's the Hornets, the Jazz and a 10-4 Thunder team with young legs.  Even the first and second rounds could be exhausting.

As of right now, in the East, it looks like Miami doesn't have a prayer at beating a healthy C's team.  When Perkins returns, Shaq comes off the bench with a unit led by Delonte and possibly JO'Neal as a third option it looks like the Magic won't be able to topple the green either.

So, if the Lakers have a tougher challenge in the West is it worse or better for them?  I think the C's are hardened and experienced enough that a soft playoffs in the East would be nothing but a good thing for old legs.  Will the challenge in the West galvanize the Lakers or break them down for a rested and hungry for revenge Celtics team?  Of course it's early in the season, but humor me.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Re: East and West

The two conferences remind me of the '80's.....with a role reversal.....ok by me....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from showtime32. Show showtime32's posts

The west has been an infinitely harder conference since at least 2000 and that hasn't stopped the west from winning most of the Finals in that time.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from beatles4eva. Show beatles4eva's posts

In Response to Re: East and West:
    The west has been an infinitely harder conference since at least 2000 and that hasn't stopped the west from winning most of the Finals in that time.
    Posted by showtime32

Harder, or boring?  Same team wins the West every year, usually without much of a challenge.  That's great if you're a lakers fan!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bilalkazmi. Show bilalkazmi's posts

Posted by showtime32

The last 2-3 years the East has definitely been the harder conference in the playoffs.  To remind you, championships are won in the playoffs and not in the regular season.

Last year, if the Celtics didn't have to face Wade in the 1st round, Lebron in the 2nd round and Howard in the 3rd round, they might have had some gas left in tank in games 6 & 7 of the finals to win it all.

Who even came close to challenging the Lakers in the Western conference playoffs over the past 3 seasons?  Apart from OKC Thunder.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from showtime32. Show showtime32's posts

In Response to Re: East and West : The last 2-3 years the East has definitely been the harder conference in the playoffs.  To remind you, championships are won in the playoffs and not in the regular season. Last year, if the Celtics didn't have to face Wade in the 1st round, Lebron in the 2nd round and Howard in the 3rd round, they might have had some gas left in tank in games 6 & 7 of the finals to win it all. Who even came close to challenging the Lakers in the Western conference playoffs over the past 3 seasons?  Apart from OKC Thunder.
    Posted by bilalkazmi

You base you're opinion around if's. I'll stick to the facts as I already mentioned.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bilalkazmi. Show bilalkazmi's posts

In Response to Re: East and West : You base you're opinion around if's. I'll stick to the facts as I already mentioned.
    Posted by showtime32

Yeah, I like your facts:

"The west in INFINITELY harder than the east."

Thats a pretty well accepted statement in the NBA.  The qualifier of "INFINITELY" makes it easy for everyone to accept.  All statistics point to the fact that the West isn't twice or three times or four times, but INFINITELY harder than the east.

Please share more wisdom with us.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BRADinLA. Show BRADinLA's posts

Look, all I'm saying is that unlike last year, the Lakers may have a really tough time getting through the west, the Western Conference playoffs may actually be exciting to watch this year, and that it's possible that the Celtics will have a relative cakewalk in the east and could be more rested when they meet the Lakeshow in the finals.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bilalkazmi. Show bilalkazmi's posts

Look, all I'm saying is that unlike last year, the Lakers may have a really tough time getting through the west, the Western Conference playoffs may actually be exciting to watch this year, and that it's possible that the Celtics will have a relative cakewalk in the east and could be more rested when they meet the Lakeshow in the finals.
    Posted by BRADinLA

I agree with you for this year.  Cleveland Cavaliers are gone.  Atlanta has lost some of their umpfh.  Magic may have learned from the last two playoffs that they lack one or two pieces to really win it all and they might have gotten with the program.

In the west, Jazz will be much better with Al Jefferson.  Spurs are better with a healthy Manu.  And Thunder are going up.  Suns and Dallas will give a good fight in the playoffs as well.

So I do agree with you.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jofc. Show jofc's posts

You're right about it being early in the season.  I don't think Miami's going to continue their mediocre level of play.  Right now I see Boston coming out of the east.

The west is tough.  With OKC, NOH and SAS all significantly improving this year (albeit early), the Lakers are in for a rough post season.  

The lakers are a very tough team though.  Don't forget about mental toughness.  They may not throw people around and body up like some of the 'tougher' teams, but they don't back down.  They beat the toughest team the East could send to the Finals last year, and adding Barnes to the mix only helps their chances of doing it again. 

With the unparalleled competitiveness of Kobe, the experience and competence of Jackson, the brilliance of Gasol, and a new and improved bench, I like LA's chances.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Good post my friend......nice to see you around the boards again!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

I'm startnig to agree with Bill Simmons, that Chicago might be the biggest threat to Boston (I still think we'll beat them) They played us tough early in the year, and played the Lakers tough last night, all without Boozer. Thibs obviously knows our weaknesses, and they have a great point guard who can wreck havock on our team (as do we of course on theirs.)

I don't anticipate mutch trouble with the Magic and I think unless something drastic changes in Miami we should beat them. Other than that, who else is a worry in the East?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BRADinLA. Show BRADinLA's posts

If the playoffs started today, here's my predictions...

Eastern Conference playoffs:

Boston
    Orlando
    Chicago
    Miami
    Indiana
    Atlanta
    New York
    Cleveland

1st round:

Boston vs. Cleveland (5 games)

2nd Round:

Boston vs. Miami (6 games)

3rd Round:

Boston vs. Orlando (6 games)

All of this is assuming we're healthy and ready to rock.  Cleveland is whatever, 5 games at the most... Miami could be tough but I say we beat 'em in 6. Orlando will be a bit sore from last year and I wouldn't underestimate Dwight Howard, but even if we didn't have home court advantage, with Perk back, Shaq and a possibly healthy JO, our front court, Rondo and Kevin Garnett would be way too much for Dwight Howard, Jameer Nelson and a swiftly dwindling Rashard Lewis.  WITH home court it's a slam dunk and I say we take them out in 6 as well.

Western Conference playoffs:

1. San Antonio

2. Los Angeles

3. New Orleans

4. Oklahoma City

5. Dallas

6. Utah

7. Portland

8. Denver

1st Round:

Lakers vs. Portland (5 games)

2nd Round:

Lakers vs. New Orleans (7 games)

3rd Round:

Lakers vs. San Antonio (7 games and win/loss)

Portland is hurting right now but it's always been tough for the Lakers to win in the Rose Garden so I say that Portland wins at least one game there to make it somewhat respectable.  New Orleans is a much different story and I could see them winning every game on their home court, thus pushing the Lakers to a final, close game in Los Angeles.

Now, the Spurs, which I think sort of changes everything.  The Lakers MUST respect a healthy Spurs team.  They're champions.  Unlike the other Western teams the Spurs are like the Celtics, experienced winners/veterans looking for one last bit of glory.  They're healthier this year and seem to be firing on all cylinders and because of all this they're physically and mentally tough.  They're also very well coached.  Lakes are not much bigger physically but they got true 7 footers where it counts in Gasol and Bynum, provided he stays healthy.  If the Spurs are truly as good as they look (they've had a harder schedule than LA so far) then I think they could easily push the Lakeshow to 7, and if they have home court advantage over LA then it should be an upset.

With all that said, I think unlike last year the Western Conference is the one to watch and that unlike previous years the Lakers aren't exactly a lock to go to the finals, especially considering they may not even have the number one seeding.  Of course, Spurs might pull a Celtics and slow things down to rest their veterans and New Orleans probably won't get the top spot, so I could easily see LA taking the number one seed after all.  But, I am excited that things look a little harder for the Lakers than they have been in the past few years and that may just help the Celtics win it all this year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BRADinLA. Show BRADinLA's posts

Good post my friend......nice to see you around the boards again!
    Posted by Duke4

Not sure if that was directed at me, but thanks! (hopefully it was or this is really awkward) Sort of took the summer off from posting here but now that the C's are back, I'm back!

Sections
Shortcuts