Encouraging or discouraging loss today?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Re: Encouraging or discouraging loss today?

In response to OneOnOne's comment:

In response to rameakap's comment:

Green was culprit #1... huge national tv game at his old team and he produces as lethergic 8/2.

Yes KG also has to shoot 9-19, not 5-19, but we still lose by 4 if he does that. Green needed at least the 14/4 we are used to and a game changing block or dunk

When the game was still winnable,  Avery had a shot blocked on a layup that very well could/should have been a foul with 2 free throws,  the trip to the other end was a block by Avery on Westbrook that was called goal tending.  Two bad calls that could have had us there right at the end.  Not saying we win,  but the possibilty was a lot higher.

You bring up a good point.  And it brings up another question we often don't get calls at key junctures.  Of course I could be a homer here but the Celtics due to a less aggressive offense don't get calls and the OKC's and the Heat always do.  A fact that probably is not going to change.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to concord27's comment:

In response to OneOnOne's comment:

In response to rameakap's comment:

Green was culprit #1... huge national tv game at his old team and he produces as lethergic 8/2.

Yes KG also has to shoot 9-19, not 5-19, but we still lose by 4 if he does that. Green needed at least the 14/4 we are used to and a game changing block or dunk

When the game was still winnable,  Avery had a shot blocked on a layup that very well could/should have been a foul with 2 free throws,  the trip to the other end was a block by Avery on Westbrook that was called goal tending.  Two bad calls that could have had us there right at the end.  Not saying we win,  but the possibilty was a lot higher.

You bring up a good point.  And it brings up another question we often don't get calls at key junctures.  Of course I could be a homer here but the Celtics due to a less aggressive offense don't get calls and the OKC's and the Heat always do.  A fact that probably is not going to change.

I agree big time.  We don't get calls at crucial times like other teams.  That Chicago game where the refs swallowed their whistles when Tibbs was hollering to foul Pierce.  That no call was a gift game to the Bulls.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

How can we get calls when KG keeps taking outside shots. 

If the outside shots are not falling then attack the basket!

That's what Paul Pierce does!

Yesterday KG had ZERO FT attempts. 

So why would the refs bail out the Celts?

I was not talking about KG or free throws in general. I was simply talking about calls late in games overall.  

The reason OKC shot so many free throws yesterday is because they attack the rim relentlessly.  They do that every game.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

It was a wasted opportunity. 

I can understand uncle Jeff struggling, but KG looked so weak!

But he has an excuse, right?

HE'S OLD!

HAHAHA

You say that like your happy.  He is old but still productive.  Why rag on him when every team in the league would be happy to have him?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

KG looked very old yesterday.  We don't get calls because we settle for outside jump shots and officials are not going to bail out a player who wants to stand outside and throw up jumpers.  Green had Fisher posted up down low and instead of attacking the rim, he passed it out to a guard.  On another occasion, Green literally stood with the ball for about 10 seconds while everyone moved to the weak side.  He backed his guy down with two dribbles and then passed it out.  He did all that for 10 seconds and we got nothing out of it.

I think OKC looked terrible yesterday.  They played an awfully bad game and that was a factor that isn't being acknowledged.  Fierce, you're right, it was a "wasted opportunity".  If KD and Westbrook don't have sub-par shooting games and if Ibaka is more involved, this isn't even a game.

We played a very under-performing OKC team to a close 3 quarters and could not finish in the 4th when it counted in spite of the fact that THEY were not that much better even in the 4th quarter.

If OKC gets out and runs more, we get blown out.  We made 10 FGs in the second half and, believe me, it was not because of the OKC defense.  To me, very discouraging loss.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

The reason we haven't shot many free throws the entire year is because we have no inside game and settle for outside shots.  Been that way for at least a couple years now.  Nothing new there.  Not sure where this bailing out discussion got going but I never insinuated that we should have gotten bailed out on jumpers.

Again I say there were positives taken from the game and the reason OKC didn't play well was our defense and not some mystery about a early game.  Plain and simple our defense is getting better and better.  Turnovers and offensive execution were the reason we lost yesterday.  Both can be cleaned up.  And yes OKC can play defense when they put their mind to it.  The reason OKC couldn't run yesterday was us getting back on defense and our rebounding being OK.

Hubie pointed out why Ibaka was not a factor. He isn't used to shooting over people and thats exactly what KG made him do.

I acknowledge OKC didn't play a good game,  but others here fail to acknowledge the Celtics were a big part of the reason they didn't play their game.

When you hold down Westbrook and Durant then the Thunder will struggle to score.  Anyone that doesn't think Bradley had something to do with Westbrooks struggles just aren't watching the games.  Pierce played Durant as well as he can be played as well. Durant in my opinion is the best offensive player in the game.  The Thunder are considered a home team in my area and I see them quite often.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Even though we had guys who didn't play well, and even though we held this team to 90 points, I am NEVER encouraged by a loss.  It's just another loss.

"You show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser" - Red Auerbach

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:

Even though we had guys who didn't play well, and even though we held this team to 90 points, I am NEVER encouraged by a loss.  It's just another loss.

+1

OKC had guys who didn't play well and OKC held Boston to 79 points.  I agree, nothing encouraging about that.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Well I guess we can say OKC didn't play well,  but it had nothing to do with us not playing well either.  

The reason for it not being a bad loss is pretty clear.  We have been dismissed by the media, and many posters around here that we couldn't do anything with Rondo or Sully.  I beg to differ.  We played the second best team in the conference and played well defensively and held them below 100 pts.  We split the season with the. And to top it off  WE didn't play well against them either.

Let me fill you in,  the Thunder are a very good team and have a total of 4 losses at home.  Let me repeat 4 losses at home.   

I guess some are right,  they aren't that impressive.

As for the Fakers-  too bad they couldn't get any encouraging losses.  They just get losses. Only a Faker fan would be invisible for weeks only to come back when they get to 500 just to talk trash.  Very classy.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Speaking of KG, is it me or is he passing up alot of open shots only to put the ball down, make one dribble to his left and THEN hoist up a more difficult (oftentimes contested) shot?  He seems to be doing that way too much lately instead of just going up in rhythm with the open shot.

I found myself yesterday screaming at him to take the open look when it's there.  Making that one dribble and then resetting only allows defenders to contest it more.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Any loss is discouraging, when all you can score is 79 points. OKC was begging to get beat, and they still won by 12. Pierce played well, Bradley played decent, he should really start trying to score a lot more, i can see him getting 15 or more every game if he puts his mind to it. Bass was alright, he rebounded better than usual.  KG, Terry and Green gave us nothing.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

AB cannot just "score more" cause he cannot create for himself. His handle is to bad to score from dribbling and he is to small to post up anyone.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

Man, you guys are tough. That was a tough game because of the turnovers. I think we matched up well but we couldn't get any flow to our offense and we had 19 turnovers which 8-10 of them were unforced.

It was a bad game, it happens.

We played good defense and played Durant and Westbrook well. We held the leading scoring team in the league to 14 points under their average. Reggie Jackson hits 2 shots that were prayers, Fisher hits a prayer shot. We were right there and KG and Green didn't even play well.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:

I felt the same way, we should have won and that was frustrating

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

"cELTICS got doze of reality" Boston.com made it more discouraging

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to BirdLewsBias' comment:

Man, you guys are tough. That was a tough game because of the turnovers. I think we matched up well but we couldn't get any flow to our offense and we had 19 turnovers which 8-10 of them were unforced.

It was a bad game, it happens.

We played good defense and played Durant and Westbrook well. We held the leading scoring team in the league to 14 points under their average. Reggie Jackson hits 2 shots that were prayers, Fisher hits a prayer shot. We were right there and KG and Green didn't even play well.

+10

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from KG-LB-KM. Show KG-LB-KM's posts

A loss is never encouraging; however, we can take possitive things away from the game. The game was close even though both KG and Green had terrible offensive days. This almost never happens. In addition, this was a road game against a very good Thunder team. 

If KG is having a tough night offensively, he usually trys to do all of the other things to help the team. After all, his shooting percentage is greater than 50% for the season. I always have to smile when players like Kobe get their 20 points with 30% shooting. That is what the other team wants. That is what the Celtics want when we play against them. 

All players have bad games, but is rare for both KG and Green to have such bad days at the same time.

Also, we split the series this year against OKC. It is always dangerous to draw strong conclusions from a single game.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

A loss is never encouraging; however, we can take possitive things away from the game. The game was close even though both KG and Green had terrible offensive days. This almost never happens. In addition, this was a road game against a very good Thunder team. 

Sounds pretty encouraging to me.

When you don't know where you stack up against the top teams and know it could have been a win,  yes I would say that is encouraging.

Each to their own opinion.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts