END OF THE SCAL ERA...Does this now tilt the POWER to chicago?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN. Show KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN's posts

END OF THE SCAL ERA...Does this now tilt the POWER to chicago?

the unforgettable legend that was brian scalabrine just signed with the bulls, effectively ending all speculation about a possible return to beantown. the things he things he did were so intangible. there will never be another. he and thibodeau now get to plot strategies!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

Re: END OF THE SCAL ERA...Does this now tilt the POWER to chicago?

Good for Scal. I'm happy for him that he's still in the NBA. Scal was talking about going to Europe to play a month or so ago.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

i have never really understood why so many people have blasted this guy during his tenure in boston.  i don't think that he ever lost even one game all by himself.

he was not the most talented or skilled player ever to wear green, but he always seemed to give all he had all the time.  he never complained about playing time or even when he did not dress for games. he was active in the community, never was spoken badly about by his teammates or coaches, etc, etc.

what more can you ask of him?

he didn't turn out to be (if he ever was even thought to be) a star of any kind, but the team never paid him "star money" either.  sure, he made more than most of us ever did or will, but he was on an NBA team and we weren't.

best of luck to this guy as he moves on from boston.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

In Response to Re: END OF THE SCAL ERA...Does this now tilt the POWER to chicago?:
    i have never really understood why so many people have blasted this guy during his tenure in boston.  i don't think that he ever lost even one game all by himself. he was not the most talented or skilled player ever to wear green, but he always seemed to give all he had all the time.  he never complained about playing time or even when he did not dress for games. he was active in the community, never was spoken badly about by his teammates or coaches, etc, etc. what more can you ask of him? he didn't turn out to be (if he ever was even thought to be) a star of any kind, but the team never paid him "star money" either.  sure, he made more than most of us ever did or will, but he was on an NBA team and we weren't. best of luck to this guy as he moves on from boston.
    Posted by charliedarling

He made too much money for his production.  He gets the same hatred that JD Drew gets or Adalius Thomas got (plus Thomas had an attitude).  Among the worst sins in Boston fandom is for a player to be paid beyond his statistical value to the team. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: END OF THE SCAL ERA...Does this now tilt the POWER to chicago?:
    In Response to Re: END OF THE SCAL ERA...Does this now tilt the POWER to chicago? : He made too much money for his production.  He gets the same hatred that JD Drew gets or Adalius Thomas got (plus Thomas had an attitude).  Among the worst sins in Boston fandom is for a player to be paid beyond his statistical value to the team. 
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn

I agree with you that more Scal was overpaid.  Fans would have thought differently of him, if he was making less.  He was one of my least favorite Celtics players of the past several years. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

When the C's signed him for 5 years, 15 million back in 2005, it sure seemed like star money to me.

The team stank at the time and Scal's signing seemed to be a major acquisition to me, considering the success he enjoyed at NJ in the previous year's playoffs hitting some big, BIG shots. 

He didn't turn out to be anything close to a major addition... or even a mid level addition... but he was a good citizen on and off the court and played hard when he had the chance.

He certainly was the punchline for a whole lot of UGLY jokes.

Good luck to Scal.

Pud

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

i have never really understood why so many people have blasted this guy during his tenure in boston.  i don't think that he ever lost even one game all by himself. he was not the most talented or skilled player ever to wear green, but he always seemed to give all he had all the time.  he never complained about playing time or even when he did not dress for games. he was active in the community, never was spoken badly about by his teammates or coaches, etc, etc. what more can you ask of him? he didn't turn out to be (if he ever was even thought to be) a star of any kind, but the team never paid him "star money" either.  sure, he made more than most of us ever did or will, but he was on an NBA team and we weren't. best of luck to this guy as he moves on from boston.
    Posted by charliedarling

Oh stop the sweet nothing. You can't use emotion as the scapegoat in a professional basketball player. You paid to play and showcase your skill. If you don't have skill and can't contribute, go somewhere else where your skill fits you.
    After all, you paid by millions....what else do we expect? Altar boys need not to apply.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GregoBoston. Show GregoBoston's posts

He was serviceable when our big men were injured.  At $3M per season, he was way overpaid.  With all the trades that Danny did during that time, nobody wanted to touch his contract.  The money could have been better spent elsewhere. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

i will agree that he was probably paid too much for what he accomplished, but was it his fault that he signed the contract that he was offered?

my guess is that the rest of us would gladly sign such a contract if it were offered to us.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

It wasn't Scal's fault that he was paid too much to be an underused role player.  I remember scratching my head at the time he was signed, but thought that Danny probably knew a whole lot more than me about player personnel.

I think when he played he was effective in short spurts.  If he made a lot less money he would have been more universally liked. 

The #1 targets in Boston sports discussions are the guys who make big money, or more money than they're perceived to be worht, and probably rightly so.   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Luke Harangody, the next Scal? 

HAHAHA!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobheckler. Show bobheckler's posts

Interestingly, many people on this board were always lauding Thib over Doc (Thib was a defensive genius while the offense wasn't explosive and that was Doc's doing) and denigrating Scal and using him as evidence of how Doc didn't like rookies and played kiss butt veterans, blah, blah, blah.

As it turns out, it appears Scal was Thib's boy. 

Maybe there were more "little things" that Scal did, especially in Thib's defense, that those posters didn't see?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Bulls should be heavily favored to win it all...

GO SCAL...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

Scal played good defense, and he could shoot well when not guarded.

That is why Tibs wants him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

-

But who's gonna spread the floor, now?  Who's gonna provide that great basketball IQ off the bench?

The balance of power definitely shifted to Chi-town with Scal's signing.

I'm honestly gonna miss the big red-head.  It was always a thrill when he hit a three.  Not that is wasn't equally thrilling to watch him "spread the floor".

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

His salary and value aside, he conducted himself more professionally than most and always comported himself as a great teammate and as a gentleman.  Not being Larry Bird was never his fault, but many in Boston seemed to hold that against him.  He has size, a great attitude, and a work ethic, three attributes not always found together in these NBA days.  Who could wish him anything but the best?  

17. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts