Erden

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Erden

Please, give this kid a chance to play and see what we have....off the top of my head....young International bigs that got to play early on 

Divac
    Radja
    Gasol

2 out of 3 ain't bad (Meatloaf).......

why not play him over JON?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Re: Erden

In Response to Erden:
    [QUOTE]Please, give this kid a chance to play and see what we have....off the top of my head....young International bigs that got to play early on  Divac Radja Gasol 2 out of 3 ain't bad (Meatloaf)....... why not play him over JON?
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

Playing Erden over JO will hurt the Celtics even more. JO needs to learn the system, how can he do that by not playing?

Worst case scenario JO gets traded in February. A lot of teams are in need of a big man, there will be a lot of interest in JO if he does not fit in with the Celtics. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

P34, who do you think the C's could get for JON?  What position, maybe SF?  Just asking who you think may be available.  I personally think that you can't have too much depth with Perk coming off injury, Shaq being 38 and KG 34-35, Erden playing for th first time in the NBA, etc.  This team was a bench guy like JON away from a potential championship last year.   

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

In Response to Erden:
    [QUOTE]Please, give this kid a chance to play and see what we have....off the top of my head....young International bigs that got to play early on  Divac Radja Gasol 2 out of 3 ain't bad (Meatloaf)....... why not play him over JON?
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

Duke

I hope they play Erden too, but if he is anywhere near the talent of the 3 guys you mentioned I would be SHOCKED.  I thinking we should be ecstatic if he turns out to be something along the line of Jorge Garbajosa, Marcin Gortat, Darko Milicic (except with a pulse), or his countryman Ersan Ilyasova. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Good point......and I really love Gortat!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

P34, I don't think playing Erden will hurt the Celtics even more.  It may delay JON's development with the system but it won't hurt the Celtics.  It's a long season and if Erden brings some defense and rebounding with his youth and energy, then I think that helps the Celtics at the center position.

I think getting quality minutes and energy from Erden will be even more helpful to the Celtics.  He moves so much better than JON and would be a great backup if he were to develop.  JON will still be fine as he has that experience.  He will still get time and be able to get comfortable.  And it will also give Shaq some rest too.

Erden looks like he possesses the tools and now all he needs is playing time.  It's early and the Celtics are still trying to find their way.  Now is as good a time as any to work these things out.  Let's face it, Shaq and JON will need time off and Erden will be called upon at some point.  We know that so let's get him some time now.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Petey62, I agree give this kid a chance. JON needs to get more aggressive and lock down a spot before Perk gets healthy or he could be the odd man out.

It's early but I hope Doc starts to find a good rotation. No way the starters should get worn out this year, back to backs or not. Doc just has to have better timely substitutions instead of just going by a substitute book.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

In Response to Re: Erden:
    [QUOTE]Petey62, I agree give this kid a chance. JON needs to get more aggressive and lock down a spot before Perk gets healthy or he could be the odd man out. It's early but I hope Doc starts to find a good rotation. No way the starters should get worn out this year, back to backs or not. Doc just has to have better timely substitutions instead of just going by a substitute book.
    Posted by BiasLewis[/QUOTE]

But do we have any reason to believe that Doc will substitute any differently than last season?  I fear it will be another season of the kids getting no significant PT.   I hope I am wrong.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from saraswatinamah. Show saraswatinamah's posts

He looked pretty good in preseason games. I heard he had a hurt sholder.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

joel49, the depth we have HAS GOT to be the reason that Doc will substitute differently this season.  Right?  Doc just has to play these guys and not feel compelled to re-insert a starter when a bench player makes a couple bad plays or struggles some.

Just using the last game here but if re-inserting PP, Ray and KG doesn't provide enough of a spark to close out the game, why not leave Nate and Quis in?  I remember only ONE TIME when Doc LEFT the bench players in to essentially close out the game and that was in last year's Finals.  Even then, all of the starters were at the scorer's table ready to substitute back into the game.  Even then, Doc did not trust them enough to let them close out the game that one time.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Give-in-to-it. Show Give-in-to-it's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Erden : Playing Erden over JO will hurt the Celtics even more. JO needs to learn the system, how can he do that by not playing? Worst case scenario JO gets traded in February. A lot of teams are in need of a big man, there will be a lot of interest in JO if he does not fit in with the Celtics. 
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]

Either Jermaine O'neal gets it together and plays well enough so that the Celtics wont have a desire to trade him, or he wont. If he doesn't, his value will be somewhere between a six pack and a bag of Doritos. Nobody is going to pay a guy 5 to 6 million a year if he can't play anymore. 

I think he will contribute serviceable playing time on a match-up to match-up basis before it is all said and done.  I don't think he is as good as some here thought he was going to be, but he isn't going to be as bad as he has come out of the gate either. Y'all need to chill, it is way too early to start squawking.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Erden looks limited to me in his play. JO is either damaged goods or a player that can help in big games.  If he is not hurt now you have to play him and see what you have.  What is really odd is that four years ago the guy was a real finesse player around the basket and now looks like he can't shoot it in the ocean.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

In Response to Erden:
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

Dino was a 20-10 guy and he smoked cigarettes

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

If JON continues to rack-up the injuries, Doc will eventually have to give Erden some playing time. Shaq's only good for 20 - 24 minutes a game and probably won't be available for every game, as he suffers from bruised hips, sore knees, etc. from time to time. Perk is practically gone for this season. It's wishful thinking to expect that he will be anywhere near his old self by the time playoffs come around. (Remember KG and Leon Powe.) Of course, the Celts have the option of trading for a more experienced center in February. Question is, do they have the luxury of waiting that long?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]If JON continues to rack-up the injuries, Doc will eventually have to give Erden some playing time. Shaq's only good for 20 - 24 minutes a game and probably won't be available for every game, as he suffers from bruised hips, sore knees, etc. from time to time. Perk is practically gone for this season. It's wishful thinking to expect that he will be anywhere near his old self by the time playoffs come around. (Remember KG and Leon Powe.) Of course, the Celts have the option of trading for a more experienced center in February. Question is, do they have the luxury of waiting that long?
    Posted by edcap99[/QUOTE]

KG is old, that's why his recovery took so long. Perkins is only 25 years old.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GetYourSoxOn. Show GetYourSoxOn's posts

Semih supposedly has rotator cuff issues.  If that wasn't the case, he certainly would have gotten playing time against the Cav's. 

Now he may have to play out of necessity, injured or not. 

For all those who think the Celtics are so deep at the 4/5 spot that we should trade Davis, JO or Perk at the deadline (I've seen all of these), here is the reality.  They will be in and out of the lineup all season long.  All we can hope is that they are all well enough come June.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Get your Sox on,
    How do you include Davis in that group.  He is not injured and is clearly the most solid player on the team. The Celtics would be 0 for 3 without him. Big Baby may be an all star this year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]Get your Sox on, How do you include Davis in that group.  He is not injured and is clearly the most solid player on the team. The Celtics would be 0 for 3 without him. Big Baby may be an all star this year.
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

I think the reason why Big Baby's name came up is because there are fans here who want Davis traded then replace him with Anthony Tolliver. Guess GYSO read about it. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from existentialparquet. Show existentialparquet's posts

[QUOTE]Erden is better than JO.
    Posted by Kirk6[/QUOTE]

I am not sure that is entirely fair, but it is closer than I am sure JO would want.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GetYourSoxOn. Show GetYourSoxOn's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Erden : I think the reason why Big Baby's name came up is because there are fans here who want Davis traded then replace him with Anthony Tolliver. Guess GYSO read about it. 
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]

Yes, that is it.  I have read here and elsewhere that Glen Davis is trade bait due to his expiring contract, etc.  I also didn't mean to suggest that Davis would be one of the bigs that would be in and out of the roster due to injury or just needing rest.

Glen is more likely to not need to sit.  The O'Neals, Erden and KG on the other hand, may need to sit.  I am surprised by Erden's injury, I hope it is just a temporary setback.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Erden : KG is old, that's why his recovery took so long. Perkins is only 25 years old.
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE] I agree that KG is a lot older (in sports years) than Perkins. Perkins though is a much heavier man at 280 pounds or so, and that means more stress on his surgically repaired knee. I don't doubt that he wlll be able to suit up come January or February. The real concern is how much of a help he is going to be to the team in the playoffs. The development of Erden during the season could at least guarantee that the team will have a serviceable back-up center when playoffs time comes. Like KG, Shaq and JON are old and more susceptible to injuries and heal slower. There's also no guarantee that, if required, the Celts can pick up a good veteran center before the trade deadline in February. Note also that Leon Powe was 26 when he sustained his latest knee injury. He was back in a Cavs uniform during the playoffs last season but was hardly in his best playing shape.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Erden : I agree that KG is a lot older (in sports years) than Perkins. Perkins though is a much heavier man at 280 pounds or so, and that means more stress on his surgically repaired knee. I don't doubt that he wlll be able to suit up come January or February. The real concern is how much of a help he is going to be to the team in the playoffs. The development of Erden during the season could at least guarantee that the team will have a serviceable back-up center when playoffs time comes. Like KG, Shaq and JON are old and more susceptible to injuries and heal slower. There's also no guarantee that, if required, the Celts can pick up a good veteran center before the trade deadline in February. Note also that Leon Powe was 26 when he sustained his latest knee injury. He was back in a Cavs uniform during the playoffs last season but was hardly in his best playing shape.
    Posted by edcap99[/QUOTE]

Perk is down to 271 lbs. 

Sections
Shortcuts