ESPN's Stein: Pierce/Gay/Gasol 3-way deal

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

Re: ESPN's Stein: Pierce/Gay/Gasol 3-way deal

In response to Karllost's comment:

Pierce has looked sloppy and slow for a few weeks but I tend to blame our HOF coach for that... as least to some extent.

The problem with trading Pierce is we have no scorer left on the team. We've seen the old PP during this season more than a couple of times... scored 40 one night, didnt he??? If youre too old and lost ur legs, youre not gonna score 40 in the NBA...

Pierce needs to be managed correctly..Doc hasnt a clue.

If we let PP go, then we need a go-to guy in return imo.... Ive always liked Gasol and would like him on the C's, but hes not filling the spot left by PP.... and Im not about to count on JG at this point, still an unknown thanks to Docs random, spin the wheel  rotations

Sure it would be a gamble letting PP go and new players would have to step up.  But that's what you do sometimes when your team looks clueless. 

Gasol's contract expires the next year and KG's 3rd yr is up to C's mgmt.  Might be another reason to go for it.  Regarding Doc, the longer this season goes, the less he looks like he has a handle on things.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

NBA Rumors: Lakers and Celtics Involved in Three-Way Deal

Jayne Kamin-Oncea- US PRESSWIRE

The Los Angeles Lakers may be having the worst season in franchise history, considering the expectations they had with the addition of Dwight Howard and Steve Nash. The roster was reminiscent of the 2004 season when the Lakers added Gary Payton andKarl Malone to a roster that already included Shaquille O’Neal and Kobe Bryant. However, this current team is under .500 and have no chemistry on the court.

Now Marc Stein of ESPN is reporting that the Lakers are close to completing a three-team trade that would send Gasol to the Boston CelticsPaul Pierce to the Memphis Grizzlies and Rudy Gay would join the Lakers. Stein has reported that the Grizzlies and Celtics have been in talks about Gay, but recently talks have involved the Lakers who are looking to trade Gasol since having him and Howard together doesn’t seem to be working.

The trade is an interesting one to look at and does seem like a real possibility. All three teams have been open about trading the players involved in this trade and it makes sense for two of the teams involved.

The Lakers have won two championships with Gasol and he was the key in both of those runs; however, the Lakers are set on making Howard the future of the franchise, even though he doesn’t have a contract past this season. Trading Gasol takes away one of the best advantages Los Angeles has had over the past few years and that is being the team with the best big men. Though if the Lakers could get Gay, that would provide them with two young stars, Gay and Howard, and would be a better fit for the offense they have in place now.

The trade also makes sense for the Celtics who lack in rebounding and post play from their big men. Gasol would fit right in with the team and he and Rajon Rondo would be a dangerous duo running the pick-and-roll. The Celtics still have hope of making the playoffs this season and making a run and with Gasol on the roster that would make their aspirations a real possibility.

As for the Grizzles, they currently sit fourth in the Western Conference and are contenders to make the NBA Finals this season. If this trade is complete, it would hurt Memphis in the long run losing a player like Gay, but the feeling here might be that they think they might lose him in free agency, so why not try and get the veteran Pierce for a championship run right now.

This is an interesting trade for all three teams involved, but for the Lakers it might be a move that they have to make. They are currently 11th in the west and need to make improvements to this team so Howard doesn’t walk away this offseason.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Would Paul come back next year after he is bought out? Now that would be a Red-like trade.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

I have no idea why the celtics would want Gasol.  That trade makes the Lakers a contender, it makes Memphis a championship favorite and it makes the Celtics a 44 win team.

Trade Pierce but only if something comes back to help as far as the future goes.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

I have no idea why the celtics would want Gasol.  That trade makes the Lakers a contender, it makes Memphis a championship favorite and it makes the Celtics a 44 win team.

Trade Pierce but only if something comes back to help as far as the future goes.

The future is Sully and Fab Melo. Pau Gasol and KG would just be a bridge to the future.

Also, Gasol's contract will expire at the end of next season, 2013-14. That means if it doesn't work out, he'll only be a Celtic for 1 and a half seasons. That is if the Celts do get Gasol.

Considering the problems with Pierce why don't you want Gay?  He is 26.  You have a bunch of guys on this team all about that age. You bring in a mentally wounded Gasol and you pay him 19 mil who hates Garnett and the Celtics culture.  Why not just Gay? Keep it simple.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

I am thinking DA wants to swing two trades at once, Gasol and JJ Redick! Shake things up a bit!! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Gasol will most likely come here and give us next to nothing like he is in LA.  You all really think he is going to come here and be energized and want to kick butt.  I live in LA and don't get the idea he will be anything but crushed when he comes here. Hope I am wrong.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

Considering the problems with Pierce why don't you want Gay?  He is 26.  You have a bunch of guys on this team all about that age. You bring in a mentally wounded Gasol and you pay him 19 mil who hates Garnett and the Celtics culture.  Why not just Gay? Keep it simple.

[/QUOTE]

I agree.  If Pierce ends in Memphis, why do they care where Gay goes, and why bring a third team into the mix unless cash or draft picks (Boston's 1st going to Lakers) are involved?  I don't feel good about Pierce leaving though.  He's still the best scorer they have, and with proper minutes, can continue to be a game saver.  Overuse, whether a body part or part of a team, usually results in breakdown and disappointment.  PP can start, sit, play, sit, and then be fresher toward the end; not exactly a mistery or rocket science. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Just read MEM says the story has "no legs"

hoopshype - but no link

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:

hoopshype - but no link

That's a classic FIERCE COPY AND PASTE - HE DOMINATES THE POST WITH NO SUBSTANCE!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:

hoopshype - but no link

Hope not.  It kinda smells funny, but sometimes rumors turn out to be true - Lance Armstrong never took steriods or other perfomance enhancing drugs.  He said so and sued others who said otherwise.   

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

I think that the way Gasol has been treated since they acquired Howard might give him a new vengence spirit and we could get 1-2 great years out of him. He played super in the Olympics and with brother Mark---they dominated in the post---almost beat LeBron & US stars. He and KG might be able to do the same playing together when they don't sub for eachother. Then bring in Sully, Wilcox & Melo to give KG & Gasol a break.

Would like to see PP retire in Green but business is business. Too bad we couldn't get Gay too as we'd be instant contenders. I know LA wants him but lets see if the Lakers would take Bass, Green, Lee, Terry(2 of the 4 or even 3 of the 4) or even Wilcox & offer draft choices too.

Our scoring will improve just with Gasol as Rondo now has a big pick and roll guy in addition to KG & when they are covered in the post, Rondo can then drive to the basket as does Paul, Westbrook etc. I've noticed too that Rondo's outside shooting has improved too! But without Gay we still need an outside shooter to replace PP and see if we can get Reddick somehow.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

I have a college degree in mass communication, CHE. So you can't fool me.

College degree in mass communication can do better than COPY N PASTE -- that's why you don't work - you are here 24/7 - get a real job bum

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jDub81. Show jDub81's posts

In response to teejaytee70's comment:

I can't stand Rudy Gay for 19 million a year.  He's really worth about half that.  Give Jeff Green 36 minutes a game and you have Rudy Gay.

We could give JGreen 48 minutes and we'll continue to get half a&# play From him. His sometimes  aggressive play is who he is...don't expect more.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

I think Gasol would love playing with KG and not against him. He played real well this summer and he can defend and shoot. Green May play better not being in anyones shadow. I like Reddick and Gasol I think it would give us balance..

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts