Evaluating our bench

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Evaluating our bench

Ok we got a chance to see our bench play extended minutes. I think we win that game if West played last night, but he's injured AGAIN.

Overall a decent JV game but boy has our bench dropped off from the likes of Nate, Erden and Luke. I know it's only one game but that's all we have to go on.

Wafer - The guy doesn't know who he is. He thinks he's one player when he should be trying to be a RA type. He's unpredictable and inconsistent.

Murf - Just looks done. No aggressiveness, no desire, just roaming around.

JON - Has no lift anymore. He should've had 4 dunks but a double-double and some blocks is nice to see. Hopefully he can play tomorrow.

Green - Still doesn't have the killer instinct but quietly gets numbers. He doesn't do anything that makes you say WOW. The guy gets up and down the court and Doc or Rondo need to recognize his speed and use it.

Arroyo - May be called upon to play major minutes if West is out. Arroyo had a chance to throw one good bounce pass as time is running out to end the game and just totally botched it. He's crafty but doesn't have a consistent shot but can help as a backup.

BBD - Came alive in the 2nd half. He's just too small to be a full time starting PF. He does good things in a defined role and really made Blatche look bad all night.

Krstic - Seems like he's digressing and not sure how much he will give us in the playoffs. Good to have a big body though.

Pavs and Bradley aren't even worth mentioning. Let's see how they bounce back tomorrow.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Re: Evaluating our bench

Wafer looked ok for a guy working his way back.  He is not Ray Allen, so I disagree that he should be playing like him.  JON gets 6 blocks, yet you say he has no lift?  Pretty hard on the bench arent you?  If they can almost pull out a W on their own,...im sure they'll do just fine when put back into their reserve roles.  I actually saw a lot of positives last night.  Not sure what you were expecting, but obivously a little too much.  Why even mention guys like Bradley, Pav, even Arroyo...who all wont be playing much anyway next week.  Even if West is out, Rondo will play 40 plus minutes after having a weeks rest and will run circles around Billups, so Arroyo may play 5 minutes.  Stop worrying B.L.   we are fine....trust me.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from terrrapin. Show terrrapin's posts

In Response to Evaluating our bench:
    [QUOTE]Ok we got a chance to see our bench play extended minutes. I think we win that game if West played last night, but he's injured AGAIN. Overall a decent JV game but boy has our bench dropped off from the likes of Nate, Erden and Luke. I know it's only one game but that's all we have to go on. Wafer - The guy doesn't know who he is. He thinks he's one player when he should be trying to be a RA type. He's unpredictable and inconsistent. Murf - Just looks done. No aggressiveness, no desire, just roaming around. JON - Has no lift anymore. He should've had 4 dunks but a double-double and some blocks is nice to see. Hopefully he can play tomorrow. Green - Still doesn't have the killer instinct but quietly gets numbers. He doesn't do anything that makes you say WOW. The guy gets up and down the court and Doc or Rondo need to recognize his speed and use it. Arroyo - May be called upon to play major minutes if West is out. Arroyo had a chance to throw one good bounce pass as time is running out to end the game and just totally botched it. He's crafty but doesn't have a consistent shot but can help as a backup. BBD - Came alive in the 2nd half. He's just too small to be a full time starting PF. He does good things in a defined role and really made Blatche look bad all night. Krstic - Seems like he's digressing and not sure how much he will give us in the playoffs. Good to have a big body though. Pavs and Bradley aren't even worth mentioning. Let's see how they bounce back tomorrow.
    Posted by BiasLewis[/QUOTE]

This years bench with a healthy Shaq is better than last year. I will take West, Green, O'Neal, Krstic, BBD as opposed to Sheed, Daniels, Robinson, Allen and BBD. Of course, as usual, it's just my opinion.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

i liked what i saw from the group for the most part. JO, green, BBD and west all looked good. i thought wafer played well and i like the way he and green are aggressive to the rim. we NEED that. no one else can do what they do. i even liked what i saw from arroyo for the most part. he can and will be called on in the playoffs. no reason for murphy or pavlovic to even make the playoff roster. neither adds anything to this team. murphy is a joke. i didn't know anything about him, but was expecting a lot more the way some people lobbied for signing him like he was some great player.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Poor bench guys taking the heat cuz the starters didnt play.  The bench probably played a lot better then if the big 4 had played.  They are notorius for playing down to their competition.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Murphy was very good last year and his whole career, so you cant blame some like myself for getting excited about him, esp. since we had a need for him.  That being said, he hasnt played all year and Doc doesnt exaclty leave him out there to get a rythm.  I think he has shown flashes, and if called upon for some minutes can get by.  Maybe not look like an all star, but he is a decent reserve is given the chance...still not giving up on him...but hopefully he is not needed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

I don't think I'm being too hard. If we're trying to win a championship we're going to need players that can perform in high pressure situations. Playing against the Wiz isn't the same as playing  in a playoff game where every possession is crucial.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

But, it was similar as they traded baskets in the end back and forth and there was pressure to win.  Just saying....you cant duplicate playoff intensity......The wiz are an NBA team and were playing hard, and for career backups, I thought most faired well.  Not concerned too much, cuz the big 4 carry this team if they are healthy and rested.  Wafer will be fine, as well as Fishsticks, JON, etc...if not , Doc shortens the bench and we wear out quick...1st round, easy squeasy...

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

so of the top 3 east teams....who has the best bench?

i think its the heat, most especially if haslem comes back

thoughts?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from terrrapin. Show terrrapin's posts

In Response to Re: Evaluating our bench:
    [QUOTE]so of the top 3 east teams....who has the best bench? i think its the heat, most especially if haslem comes back thoughts?
    Posted by Jimmy42Jack0[/QUOTE]

I have to disagree. The Heat's bench is terrible. I mean Kyle Korver, Mario Chalmers? They had career games the other day. Lets see them handle it in playoffs.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaPrince77. Show DaPrince77's posts

First and foremost, when judging a bench come playoff time players 10-12. usually become irrelevant. That being said, the Celtics' bench could/should be a source of strength come playoff time. Let's face it, this injury to West hurts, if he can't make it back quickly.
    As Doc has said manty times he'll basicallly shorten his bench, using an 8-9 man rotation. So the three main guys off the bench will be Glen Davis, Jeff Green, and Jermaine O'Neal and ideally Delonte West as the back-up 1-2, if not, it will be Carlos Arrojo.
    As we've witnessed many times, Glen "Big-Baby" Davis is one of those guys who seems to play his best when the "lights are on." Jeff Green is finally getting comfortable and should help if he elevates his intensity, and plays better defense which he should.
    The bottom line is there will always be atleast 3 starters out there with the bench-players at all times, so if they step-up their play,(the starters) it will help the Celtics' reserves tremendously.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

The Bulls have the best bench in my opinion.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

The problem with the bench is that guys are new and haven't figured out their roles yet. They haven't figured out where they should be on the floor either. This affects our starters too, because they now have to stop playing and play teacher.

Let's hope the practices we get in before the playoffs can solve some of this.  When Shaq gets back,  I think he played enough games and his style of play is such that he will integrate quickly.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

In Response to Re: Evaluating our bench:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Evaluating our bench : I have to disagree. The Heat's bench is terrible. I mean Kyle Korver, Mario Chalmers? They had career games the other day. Lets see them handle it in playoffs.
    Posted by terrrapin[/QUOTE]
    um...korver plays for the bulls and mario chalmers is a fine back up poing guard...but to discount miller, haslem(if back), james jones(3 pt champ), big Z/dampier/magloire? seems like you are selling them short because they play with 3 superstars

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

In Response to Evaluating our bench:
    [QUOTE]Ok we got a chance to see our bench play extended minutes. I think we win that game if West played last night, but he's injured AGAIN. Overall a decent JV game but boy has our bench dropped off from the likes of Nate, Erden and Luke. I know it's only one game but that's all we have to go on. Wafer - The guy doesn't know who he is. He thinks he's one player when he should be trying to be a RA type. He's unpredictable and inconsistent. Murf - Just looks done. No aggressiveness, no desire, just roaming around. JON - Has no lift anymore. He should've had 4 dunks but a double-double and some blocks is nice to see. Hopefully he can play tomorrow. Green - Still doesn't have the killer instinct but quietly gets numbers. He doesn't do anything that makes you say WOW. The guy gets up and down the court and Doc or Rondo need to recognize his speed and use it. Arroyo - May be called upon to play major minutes if West is out. Arroyo had a chance to throw one good bounce pass as time is running out to end the game and just totally botched it. He's crafty but doesn't have a consistent shot but can help as a backup. BBD - Came alive in the 2nd half. He's just too small to be a full time starting PF. He does good things in a defined role and really made Blatche look bad all night. Krstic - Seems like he's digressing and not sure how much he will give us in the playoffs. Good to have a big body though. Pavs and Bradley aren't even worth mentioning. Let's see how they bounce back tomorrow.
    Posted by BiasLewis[/QUOTE]
    Good post and I agree on all but Pavs who has some size and stentgth and appears to be holding back, I just think in the back of my mind, that if we play the Heat he just might become aggressive and stick the prince with a few hard fouls.  I have been intrigued by his play and think if Doc would turn him loose , he and Green might help with defending the bigger guards like the prince.  West will be a huge loss if he is not 90%.  Davis seems to play big in big games.  The center position will be a group effort and might hold its own if one of the O'Neals can give numerous minutes.  Still depends on Paul, KG, and Ray.

Sections
Shortcuts