Everyone talks about center needs but

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

Everyone talks about center needs but

1.. How many , of all the nba teams have even a good or great center ??  (IMO the centers now are the worst in history).

2.  Is there any college centers that will available??

Curious as to opinions of older and younger bb fans, as older fans have seen actual centers who could play the position .

Always Right.....at least in my mind

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from romneywins. Show romneywins's posts

Re: Everyone talks about center needs but

resign Hump, pray Iverson and Fav get meaningful minutes, or hope for a trade

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

In response to romneywins' comment:

resign Hump, pray Iverson and Fav get meaningful minutes, or hope for a trade

is that your answer to the questions, or just a wish??

Always Right.....at least in my minded 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In response to mossad-did-911's comment:

colton iverson LOL i wonder how long people will be praying for him to be anything more than a guy who never made it to the league. 

[object HTMLDivElement]

Hey Tommy  - how's your brother in NH???????????

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

How many teams in the NBA have a great center?

As long as by 'great' you mean a modern age center who is 6'10"+ plays 30+ minutes and gives you around a double-double.

Here are the teams who can feel great about their center:

Washington - Gortat

Chicago - Noah

Charlotte - Big Al

Atlanta - Horford (If you call him a center)

Detroit - Drummond

Orlando - Vucevic

Toronto - Valanciunas (should make jump from 11/9 to like a 17/11 this year)

San Antonio - Duncan

Houston - Howard

Memphis - Gasol

Minnesota - Pekovic

Sacramento - Cousins

How many have a good to very good center?

Portland - Robin Lopez (great if he could score 15 a game)

Brooklyn - Brook Lopez (great if ever healthy)

Detroit - Monroe (great if was even above average on D, but def more C than PF)

Golden State - Bogut (great if ever healthy)

New Orleans - Asik (great if he could hir FT's and score 15 a game)

Dallas - Chandler (great 2-3 years ago)

Utah - Kanter

Lakers - Pau Gasol (great 2-3 years ago)

Clippers - Jordan (great if he could hit FT's and score 15 a game)

Cleveland - Varejao

Miami - Bosh (if you call him a center, was great 2-3 years ago)

Indiana - Hibbert

Denver - McGee

How many teams have a below average or still unknown situation at center?

Boston - Faverani is a backup, Olynyk can't be projected (yet) as more than a 6th man who swings between PF and C

Philly - We have yet to see Noel play and Embiid will be out a year

Milwaukee - Pachulia is like a better Fav, only on the downside of his career. Sanders can be in the good to very good group if he gets his head on straight

Oklahoma City - Perk has been in serious decline for 2-3 years but Adams should quickly bump them up into having a good/very good center, we just don't know yet. 

Phoenix - Len could be very good soon. Plumlee was actually an 8/8 guy in 24 minutes. No reason they won't be in the good/very good group this year.

Knicks - Amare sometimes plays the 5, horribly overpaid and washed up, Dalembert is old but can still defend a bit

I would trade Fav/Oly for every duo I just mentioned on the other four teams with poor center situations except for Milawaukee and New York. Therefore, the Celtics are the third worst team at the center position in the NBA. At least until the Lakers let Gasol walk.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

So in response to the first question of this thread:

40% of the teams have a great center 

40% of the team have a good center

20% of the team have below average to bad centers

Only two teams have a worse center situation than Boston. Soon to be 3 (Lakers). I don't see Bosh or Gortat switching teams. One club has TWO guys who are good-great starting centers. 

The position itself is not top heavy like it was in the 90's with Ewing, Robinson, Hakeem, Shaq and Mourning. The centers now are more hybrid PF-C types who rarely score over 20 a game. But there are still a dozen guys who are going to bring you 15/10 every game and that is all you want in the modern NBA.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to fishers5's comment:

1.. How many , of all the nba teams have even a good or great center ??  (IMO the centers now are the worst in history).

2.  Is there any college centers that will available??

Curious as to opinions of older and younger bb fans, as older fans have seen actual centers who could play the position .

Always Right.....at least in my mind

how many championships did the Celtics win with a good center? How many did they win without a center? Just saying ? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

In the '60s every team had a serviceable center:  Russell, Chamberlain, Thurmond, Beatty, Unseld, Embry, Bellamy, Reed. . . any of whom could play credibly today.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In response to Fiercy's comment:

Greg Monroe has NEVER averaged 1 block per game his entire career.

He's NOT a Center!

He's not what everyones new saying is"a rim protector" but Al Jefferson isn't either. In todays NBA i think he would be an above average center.  He could turn into a 20/10 guy, what we would need is a very athletic 4 who can be the rim protector, and that's not Sully or KO.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MitchUnderpants. Show MitchUnderpants's posts

IF the C's decide to compete next season, they can use the new Miami Heat as a barometer for what they'll be up against.  Check out this potential line-up:

PG Chalmers (or Cole/Napier if they can't afford Chalmers

SG  Wade

SF Camelo

PF LEBRON

C Bosh

My point is: With competition like this, who needs a traditional, rim-protecting, shot-blocking center?

Of course, having a Drummond or Anthony Davis, a Patrick Ewing or a Hakeem Olujawon would be great, BUT do we have to have one?

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Greg Monroe has NEVER averaged 1 block per game his entire career.

He's NOT a Center!

Ah the clueless one at it again. So you have to average 1 block to be a center? HAHAHA! Well I guess I will invest more quarters to the pennies he tosses in his ignorance. He is about to get OWNED by stats and reality and proven WRONG... again.

Monroe has started 161 games at center in his career.

He has started 106 games at power forward in his career.

The season before Andre Drummond was drafted Monroe started every single Piston's game at center, at age 21, and averaged 15.4 points, 9.7 rebounds, 2.3 assists, 1.3 steals and 0.7 blocks per game shooting 52% from the field and 74% from the line. That was in 31.5 minutes  a game. A team who signs him that needs help at center would be getting a guy who just turned 24 and should improve upon those numbers. 

At power forward this season, age 23, Monroe averaged 15.1 points, 9.3 rebounds, 2.1 assists, 0.6 blocks, 1.1 steals and shot 49% from the field and 66% from the line. This in 32.7 minutes. Clearly he regressed when moved to PF. Despite being a mediocre defender for a center he was even more uncomfortable defending quicker PF's. In the one game this year he started at center for Drummond he put up 22 points on 75% shooting with a block and 4 steals. 

He is clearly better off at center than power forward

As always stats don't lie, ESPN.com and basketball-reference.com don't lie. We'll leave the lying to clueless Fiercy. If he thinks Monroe is more PF than C he is WRONG!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Again, in 2012 Monroe started every game at center and had a PER of 22

In 2014 Monroe started all but one game at power forward and had a PER of 18

He can play both positions but is better off at center.

The stats over his entire career PROVE THIS TO BE FACT. A good team to make him an offer sheet would be San Antonio. They just have to clear a little more cap space to do it. I guarantee if Monroe was a Spur he'd be listed as a center and Tim Duncan as a PF.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

You summed it up Rame....very good !

Still believed RONDO will be traded for a big man !! I will be elated....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In response to kyceltic's comment:

He's not what everyones new saying is"a rim protector" but Al Jefferson isn't either. In todays NBA i think he would be an above average center.  He could turn into a 20/10 guy, what we would need is a very athletic 4 who can be the rim protector, and that's not Sully or KO.

The difference is Al Jefferson has a 1.3 blocks per game career average.

Remember the Detroit game, back in April, in Boston last season?

Here:

http://espn.go.com/nba/playbyplay?gameId=400490019&period=4" rel="nofollow">http://espn.go.com/nba/playbyplay?gameId=400490019&period=4

Greg Monroe was taken out with 11:41 remaining in the 4th and he never came back in even when he already had 21 points.

The Pistons then rallied to beat the Celtics.

Everyone rallied to beat the Celtics last year. I think that says more about the Celtics, than about Monroe. After all he had 21 in three quarters.  Let's say we could trade for Monroe and than trade for John Henson, monroe could be the scoring center and Henson would be the athletic shot blocking 4 we would need.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Greg Monroe would not be a good fit on this current Celtics roster. Because like I, and many here (including Fiercy in this thread) have said, this team needs a defensive anchor at center.

I have compared Olynyk to Christian Laettner MANY times. I have said we should hope he develops into a 3-point shooting Laettner who had a 6 year run of being a 16-18 point, 7-8 rebound, 2-3 assist, 1 steal, 1 block guy in 33-34 minutes at both PF-C and even made the 1997 All-Star team.

Those are the number Monroe puts up, same combined steals/blocks, with like a little worse FG% and 2-3 less boards a game and a little better FG% with a few less rebounds and a little better FT% and a few more points.

While Monroe's range doesn't extend past 18 feet like Olynyk's does, he will have similar overall impact as Kelly if he were in green putting up his 17/10 in 33-35 minutes as opposed to the 14/7 I expect from Kelly this year in 27-29 minutes.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Here:

http://espn.go.com/nba/playbyplay?gameId=400490019&period=4" rel="nofollow">http://espn.go.com/nba/playbyplay?gameId=400490019&period=4" rel="nofollow">http://espn.go.com/nba/playbyplay?gameId=400490019&period=4

Greg Monroe was taken out with 11:41 remaining in the 4th and he never came back in even when he already had 21 points.

Everyone rallied to beat the Celtics last year. I think that says more about the Celtics, than about Monroe. After all he had 21 in three quarters.  Let's say we could trade for Monroe and than trade for John Henson, monroe could be the scoring center and Henson would be the athletic shot blocking 4 we would need.

Are the Bucks rumored to be interested in moving Henson?

All i have heard is that they would want to move Sanders, which is next to impossible with his 4/44 and Ilyasova, who has let it be known he desires to play elsewhere.

Henson is a perfect example provided how you can pair an athletic/agile defensive PF with a slower/mediocre offensive center like Monroe who can put up 15-20 points and still get you 10 boards.

It is what the Bobcats are going to do with Big Al at center and Vonleh beside him. It is what the Heat do when they move Bosh, fairlyy weak for his height and easily pushed around, to the 5 and let LeBron go wild as the most athletic 260 lb PF in the game. OKC will play guys like Adams and Collison a lot at center this year. Scorers who can board but have Ibaka beside them at PF to block shots and protect the rim. 

The Celtics do not have guys like Henson and Ibaka to play beside Monroe. They have more Monroe players in Oly and Sully and need to do what teams like New Orleans and Portland did and move their best scorer out of the center position and get a rim protecting 7 footer like Asik and Robin Lopez.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to CHEisCHE's comment:

You summed it up Rame....very good !

Still believed RONDO will be traded for a big man !! I will be elated....

Thanks.

I'm not sure what the options are though. The teams rumored to be interested in Rondo are the Kings, Pistons, Rockets (if their Melo/LeBron options fail) and the Raptors (if Lowry leaves).

Of those 4 teams I can only see Rondo resigning with the Rockets and MAYBE the Pistons. Meanwhile Cousins and Drummond are not going to be moved for Rondo, he will be brought in to play WITH them. 

On paper a deal with Toronto build around Valenciunas could be considered fair value, but in my mind it would be a STEAL to get him for Rondo and the Toronto GM probably thinks so as well.

Masai Ujiri will probably not even make this trade:

Toronto -> Rondo, Olynyk (3 more rookie years before QO), Faverani

Boston --> Valenciunas (2 more rookie years before QO) and the Landry Fields/Marcus Camby expiring 12.7 million

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

Here:

http://espn.go.com/nba/playbyplay?gameId=400490019&period=4" rel="nofollow">http://espn.go.com/nba/playbyplay?gameId=400490019&period=4" rel="nofollow">http://espn.go.com/nba/playbyplay?gameId=400490019&period=4" rel="nofollow">http://espn.go.com/nba/playbyplay?gameId=400490019&period=4" rel="nofollow">http://espn.go.com/nba/playbyplay?gameId=400490019&period=4

Are the Bucks rumored to be interested in moving Henson?

All i have heard is that they would want to move Sanders, which is next to impossible with his 4/44 and Ilyasova, who has let it be known he desires to play elsewhere.

Henson is a perfect example provided how you can pair an athletic/agile defensive PF with a slower/mediocre offensive center like Monroe who can put up 15-20 points and still get you 10 boards.

It is what the Bobcats are going to do with Big Al at center and Vonleh beside him. It is what the Heat do when they move Bosh, fairlyy weak for his height and easily pushed around, to the 5 and let LeBron go wild as the most athletic 260 lb PF in the game. OKC will play guys like Adams and Collison a lot at center this year. Scorers who can board but have Ibaka beside them at PF to block shots and protect the rim. 

The Celtics do not have guys like Henson and Ibaka to play beside Monroe. They have more Monroe players in Oly and Sully and need to do what teams like New Orleans and Portland did and move their best scorer out of the center position and get a rim protecting 7 footer like Asik and Robin Lopez.

I was just using Henson as an example of the kind of 4 we would need if we had Monroe playing center. I don't know of any rumors of them wanting to trade Hensen, but you never know, a couple future picks may make them think about it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Rondo-DeRozan-Ross-Patterson-Olynyk with Vasquez-Novak-Amir Johnson-Hansborough and Hayes/Faverani off the bench would be a deep, fun and interesting team in Toronto. But hardly guaranteed to be be any better than the one that just pushed Brooklyn to the brink with Lowry and Valanciunas probably a more productive PG/C duo than Rondo/Olynyk would be for them.

The Kings? Well the big we could get back from them would probably be Jason Thompson another PF-C combo guy who is about to turn 28 and so like Green, Bass and Rondo has probably already shown us the player he will be for the rest of his prime, a 10 point, 7 rebound guy providing just over 1 combined block/steal shooting 50% from the floor and 65% from the line.

Of course the Celtics would get McLemore or Stauskas back as well as a future 1st rd pick in any Rondo to the Kings deal, but that is not the big man like a Valanciunas or DeAndre Jordan, John Henson, Derrick Favors young big we need.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Brandon Knight, John Henson, Larry Sanders and Irsan Ilyasova (24.6 million) for Rondo, Wallace, Faverani and Bass (32 million)?

Bucks have Wallace to mentor Parker at the combo SF-PF position, help out with his biggest weakness (defense) and be the classy vet we saw here last year. 

A traditional Rondo-Mayo backcourt with the Greek Freak playing both of those positions and some SF as well will be exciting. Despite being a better shooter than Rondo, Knight is nowhere near as good a PG as him. 

The Bucks don't have room for a guy like Ilyasova, who doesn't want to be there, with both Parker and Antetokounmpo playing SF and Parker, Bass and Ekpe Udoh at PF. Pachulia (a Rondo favorite!) and Udoh/Faverani can play center.

This eliminates the awful Sanders contract for them.

No way that anyone will even think Rondo considers signing a long-term deal in Milwaukee. But what if Kidd becomes their coach? What if nobody else offers him more than 4 years 70 million while the Bucks are giving him the 5/105 max? He'd be playing with two extremely talented kids in Parker and Greek Freak. The 3 of them could become a better trio than Cassell, Ray Allen and Big Dog were in the late 90's. 

Sections
Shortcuts