Explain Rondo Deterrence

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

Re: Explain Rondo Deterrence

In response to Mployee8's comment:

It's called "rewarding your big for running the floor." If you don't feed a big guy for running a break why will he continue to run?   We have a PG more concerned with motivating his fellow players, not running up his own assist total. Why wouldn't he benefit from scoring more often and increasing his triple double total if that were the case?

And regarding his free throws and shooting %, some people here need to do some research and see how his stats have improved tremendously over the last year from his previous years when he really was a poor shooter. It's fairly obvious that he's put a lot of effort/work into improving that part of his game and with the loss of KG and PP there's a good chance that he'll feel more compelled to score more and improve those shooting stats again cause he knows that all eyes are on him.  JMO but if you can't see that then you are only focusing on the negativity.

Rondo has been mercurial.  He can be great and he can be bad.  He is mostly very good.

Thus people here fall in two camps.  Those that are inclined to believe that Rondo is inherently bad and was reigned in by the two hall of famers: The Rondo Realists.  Then there are those who believe that Rondo challenges authority and loves challenges and hence will do well with the two hall of famers gone: The Rondo Realists.

And then there is a unique human specimen, the Master Misanthrope: Pud.  Pud choses to believe in the basest form of humanity and believes that Rondo will end up in rehab.

Hope that completes the classification.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:

In response to R9R's comment:

I need someone to please explain to me what Rondo impeding the rebuilding process and intentions of our new coach will look like. If you're going to hate our Star player and condemn him to ruining our team, butting heads with Stevens, and forcing Danny to trade him away, tell me how that will show to transpire.

Because right now Danny, Stevens ("there's no bigger fan"), Doc, and our Players (Sully: "We still have Rondo, he's a champion") are saying positive things about Rondo. I've heard positive things from people who've talked with Rondo (Max), his Agent, and from himself. The only negative is comig from rumors and speculation in the meda. Forget the past. Tell me exactly what a Rondo team destruction will look like.

I'll make this easy for you. With 2-HOF-ers on the team for his last 8-games played for the Celtics  Rondo "lead" a team who you say "loved him" to an 0-8 record. That's a group who loved playing with him and think he is the greatest PG in the league, according to your assessment. He tears his ACL and that same team, despite losing the greatest PG in the league and the Celtics best player, again your assessment, run off an 8-0 streak....WITHOUT THEIR "BEST PLAYER", as you call him. That doesn't happen before and after LaBron, Larry, MJ, Kobe, Dr J, Karreem, etc. etc. etc go down! NEVER HAS, NEVER WILL AGAIN! .......Come on Kid. Its clear as day. They are trying to maintain as much value for a trade as they can by staying positive about him. Believe what you see with your eyes, not what you hear from the hype. THAT IS ALL IT IS. STOP MAKING EXCUSES for RR just because you are in love with who YOU think he is. Peace!

RallyC read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sample_size_determination before you ever, cite the 0-8 sample again. That should keep you from embarassing yourself again.

Also the 93 bulls won 55 games when Jordan retired including 10 straight games in December.  They never had a 10-0 record with Jordan the previous year. Obviously if one were to incorrectly use a sample size of ten games or even eight one would have to conclude the bulls were better without Jordan. Luckily no one does that. 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to jtkl's comment:

I need someone to please explain to me what Rondo impeding the rebuilding process and intentions of our new coach will look like. If you're going to hate our Star player and condemn him to ruining our team, butting heads with Stevens, and forcing Danny to trade him away, tell me how that will show to transpire.

Because right now Danny, Stevens ("there's no bigger fan"), Doc, and our Players (Sully: "We still have Rondo, he's a champion") are saying positive things about Rondo. I've heard positive things from people who've talked with Rondo (Max), his Agent, and from himself. The only negative is comig from rumors and speculation in the meda. Forget the past. Tell me exactly what a Rondo team destruction will look like.

I'll make this easy for you. With 2-HOF-ers on the team for his last 8-games played for the Celtics  Rondo "lead" a team who you say "loved him" to an 0-8 record. That's a group who loved playing with him and think he is the greatest PG in the league, according to your assessment. He tears his ACL and that same team, despite losing the greatest PG in the league and the Celtics best player, again your assessment, run off an 8-0 streak....WITHOUT THEIR "BEST PLAYER", as you call him. That doesn't happen before and after LaBron, Larry, MJ, Kobe, Dr J, Karreem, etc. etc. etc go down! NEVER HAS, NEVER WILL AGAIN! .......Come on Kid. Its clear as day. They are trying to maintain as much value for a trade as they can by staying positive about him. Believe what you see with your eyes, not what you hear from the hype. THAT IS ALL IT IS. STOP MAKING EXCUSES for RR just because you are in love with who YOU think he is. Peace!

RallyC read this  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sample_size_determination before you ever, cite the 0-8 sample again. That should keep you from embarassing yourself again.

Also the 93 bulls won 55 games when Jordan retired including 10 straight games in December.  They never had a 10-0 record with Jordan the previous year. Obviously if one were to incorrectly use a sample size of ten games or even eight one would have to conclude the bulls were better without Jordan. Luckily no one does that. 

irrelevant to the example i sight. 0-8 to 8-0. 16 CONSECUTIVE. AND YOU SHOE YOUR TRUE IGNORANCE by actually trying to compare MJs influence to this little rodent, RR. Please kid, go to bed. Youre deleriois. Period. Nite nite. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

RallyC read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sample_size_determination before you ever, cite the 0-8 sample again. That should keep you from embarassing yourself again.

irrelevant to the example i sight. 0-8 to 8-0. Period. Nite nite. 

Uhm, actually it is relevant. See that's why you should read the wikipedia page. until you understand the error you keep making you will keep makiing yourself look uneducated. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

RallyC read this  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sample_size_determination before you ever, cite the 0-8 sample again. That should keep you from embarassing yourself again.

Uhm, actually it is relevant. See that's why you should read the wikipedia page. until you understand the error you keep making you will keep makiing yourself look uneducated. 

Kid, when u finish high school, let me ""UHM" know. I know what i saw and know exactly why it happened. Dont need anybody else to validate that. When you grow up and become a man, you too will trust your own eyes and wont need some kid's or anybody else's validation. Smoke=fire. ease do t question my Boston Celtic knowledge base. It obvious to all here that yours is only a few years deep. See, i grew up in the era of truly great Celtic basketball. Youve only been around for a sliver of it from an underachieving team on which Rondo was a bit player On top of it all. Now go to bed Before mommy catches you. Rondo is a cancer and YOU cant change that. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomobo. Show tomobo's posts

In response to prakash's comment:

It's called "rewarding your big for running the floor." If you don't feed a big guy for running a break why will he continue to run?   We have a PG more concerned with motivating his fellow players, not running up his own assist total. Why wouldn't he benefit from scoring more often and increasing his triple double total if that were the case?

And regarding his free throws and shooting %, some people here need to do some research and see how his stats have improved tremendously over the last year from his previous years when he really was a poor shooter. It's fairly obvious that he's put a lot of effort/work into improving that part of his game and with the loss of KG and PP there's a good chance that he'll feel more compelled to score more and improve those shooting stats again cause he knows that all eyes are on him.  JMO but if you can't see that then you are only focusing on the negativity.

Rondo has been mercurial.  He can be great and he can be bad.  He is mostly very good.

Thus people here fall in two camps.  Those that are inclined to believe that Rondo is inherently bad and was reigned in by the two hall of famers: The Rondo Realists.  Then there are those who believe that Rondo challenges authority and loves challenges and hence will do well with the two hall of famers gone: The Rondo Realists.

And then there is a unique human specimen, the Master Misanthrope: Pud.  Pud choses to believe in the basest form of humanity and believes that Rondo will end up in rehab.

I'm fairly certain that Pud meant he would give less than 100% in the rehabilitation of his knee, Einstein. Please for once, put the CUP down. It's more ruinous than any pipe.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Listen,

This isn't a redundant thread. I want to know from a Rondo-hater what it'll look like to see Rondo detroy our team. You guys are predicting it, tell me what to expect. Citing straw men arguments is not sufficient. The media keeps saying that the Celtics are going to offer Rondo a peace treaty, one last chance, and he's going to spit on it. What the heck does that look like? I want simple, concrete answers like,

"Rondo will initiate a physical conflict with a teammate"

or

"Rondo will ignore Stevens and his plays"

or

"Rondo will demand to be traded to Detroit to play with Smith by the dead-line"

If you trolls can't do that, you have no basis whatsoever to your argument.

Disclaimer: I don't have "allies" or "agendas" on this time-sink of a cite. Other than occasionally calling Karl an idiot because he's not an illiterati troll, I do not get in to personal things. I just ellicit ideas and submit my own. Take it or leave it. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Laughing  Too perfect

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

Laughing  Too perfect

R9R and JTKL BFFs! Better get your boxes of Kleenex ready! Exchange numbers boys. You'll both need someone to cry to soon enough. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticelmo. Show celticelmo's posts

Above all, I am a Celtic Fan and if Rondo can straighten himself out, then great. But I think R9R is asking for negatives that Rondo brings. None of us really know if RR is Cyble type character but reports seem to lead one to believe he a bit nuts. Here are the negatives that I see with RR:

1.it seems that he has not made it a priority to become a better shooter both from the floor and especially the line. Lebron came in tossing bricks all over the place but it meant enough to him to make it a priority to become a better shooter.

2. He tosses a water bottle through a big screen tv in a meeting. Not sure this is what a young team needs in a leader.

3. It was obvious the ball started hopping around after he left making it much harder to defense all 5 guys on the court.

4. He plays matador defense most nights and again, not sure we want young guys following that lead

5. And what is the scariest thing is the statement made by his agent that "he is not sure that the players are ready to be challenged the way he will challenge them". I think a Team Leader must lead first by example and then by mouth "if needed". Not real sure we want this guy leading by mouth and for sure we do not want him teaching the youngsters to take nights off and getting a record (assist record) is more important than winning and getting everyone involved. If he can lead by example, that might be good but to this point the negatves far outway the positives.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to tomobo's comment:

In response to prakash's comment:

I'm fairly certain that Pud meant he would give less than 100% in the rehabilitation of his knee, Einstein. Please for once, put the CUP down. It's more ruinous than any pipe.

Ah, now that I read it again yes.  Pud probably meant flub the rehab of his knee.  Still does not change my opinion of Master Misanthrope.  Perhaps we can discuss him some time over a cup?  Or would you prefer a pipe?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

All i can say is watch....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In response to Karllost's comment:

Its really a mystery how some can watch Rondo routinely not put the effort in to guard his man... not even try to fight through a screen or pick.... always going under. Too much effort and no statistical glory fighting thru..

Tell me whats going thru the mind of a player with a breakaway layup.. pausing and throwing a pass to a teammate behind the play, whos in a much more difficult position to score? Rondo led the league in assists, gets lots of pub from it too... is he trying to be selfless and involve his teammates... giving up a sure, easy 2 points so a huslting big man can get the bucket?  Nah, because its a dumb play to give away an easy, uncontested  layup for a more difficult, defended shot...

Only thing I can come up with is Rondo wants that assist and is willing to sacrifice the team to get it.

You dont think Rondo cares about such things?? Didnt DOc allow Rondo to keepo his assist streak going by keeping him in a blowout and force feeding his team Rondo passes until he got his??

I perfectly understand rewarding your big for running the floor.  Happens often when theres a 2 on 0 break away and the little guy gives up the easy layup and feeds his hustling big. I already addressed that in my previous post.

The point Im making is when our PG is all alone on a breakaway, refuses the easy layup and back passes to his hustling big, who happens to have brought company with him in the form of a defender thereby making his layup attempt a contended one. 

Thats not smart ball, its dumb. In fact its so dumb it forces one to speculate the motivation behind it. What could it be??

1. Rondo knows he'll miss the layup?

2. Rondo wants to erase a sure 2 pts for his team so a teammate has a 70% chance of getting it for himself?

3. Rondo is secretly sabotaging the Celtics?

4. Rondos willing to risk the 2 for the chance of picking up an assist....

Maybe there are more selections to this list but I feel #4 is clearly the correct and most logical answer.

Especially when we saw Rondo stay in a blow out game and DOc forced the team to take Rondo passes and shoot so he'd keep his assist record going. Rondo led the league in assists, sounds like something he's more concerned with than anything else.

I think ROndo led the NBA in steals too once... is it a wonder why he routinely backs off his opponent and gives up the lane so freely wreaking havoc on our defense... so he can attmept one of his rarely successful swipes from behind for a steal?? If you watch the games, youd know it kills us, yet theres no getting thru to Rondo..

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from chetgnat. Show chetgnat's posts

the quote i just saw from his agent is one of the more embarrassing i've seen. Rondo's gotta go. he's not a leader, but he thinks he is, and when he doesn't get his way he pouts. he wants to be a leader that others fear, and he doesn't realize that that will never, ever happen. he needs a shrink and years of therapy to get past his "issues", but that ship has probably already sailed, and so it's time for Rondo to go.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

In response to celtic213's comment:

Rondo deserves and will get a chance to run this team. We'll see what he does with it. I'm not a Rondo lover or hater. I'm a Celtics fan, and all this Rondo talk is pointless because theres no facts proving he can or cannot run a team. You can love Rondo because he has had a lot of great moments. You can dislike Rondo because hes had a bad moments. But eventually we will see.

+1..I agree..and this coming from a Rondo "hater" which I am not!!..we cant afford to let Rondo go as of now..and this team as is right now, would be interesting to watch with Rondo "carrying" them..He, according to his agent, has embraced the fact that they are giving him the leadership role.. he is anxious but ready to run the team and you cant ask for more..Bring a young backup PG..and call it a day..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

Kid, when u finish high school, let me ""UHM" know. I know what i saw and know exactly why it happened. Dont need anybody else to validate that. When you grow up and become a man, you too will trust your own eyes and wont need some kid's or anybody else's validation. Smoke=fire. ease do t question my Boston Celtic knowledge base. It obvious to all here that yours is only a few years deep. See, i grew up in the era of truly great Celtic basketball. Youve only been around for a sliver of it from an underachieving team on which Rondo was a bit player On top of it all. Now go to bed Before mommy catches you. Rondo is a cancer and YOU cant change that. 

See I can use, "Uhm", because I'm smart enough to understand basic statistics. I'm also not the kind of idiot who persists with their error like "u" are.  Luckily the Celtics are a statistics based team. They understand how to use them and don't make moronic conclusions based on sample sizes that are meaningless. 

But hey, if you'd rather look like an idiot than learn a basic concept like, sample size because it might make you change your mind that is your problem.  You can lead a person to knowledge, you can't make them learn it. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

Actualy just so we are keeping things real. It was 7-0 they went with out Rondo not 8-0, and that was followed by going 2-4 after that, and 14-17 total after the 7-0 win streak

So basically the Celtics played above their heads without their best pleayer then regressed to the mean(another statistics term don't worry about that. over your head)

Homophobic comment from Rally in 3...2...1

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

In response to MelWitt's comment:

Actualy just so we are keeping things real. It was 7-0 they went with out Rondo not 8-0, and that was followed by going 2-4 after that, and 14-17 total after the 7-0 win streak

So basically the Celtics played above their heads without their best pleayer then regressed to the mean(another statistics term don't worry about that. over your head)

So they regressed to their "average"...that's not really "regressing", it's more like settling out to where they should play based on a fairly good sample size (anything over 50 observations is typically a pretty decent sample to yield dependable results). What would your null hypothesis be for the case where the C's lost, what, 8 in a row with Rondo, then won the next 7 without him...just putting that in statistics terms, of course.....statistical anomaly, and if so, what tests would you run to determine the efficacy of your null hypothesis?... educate me Dr. Stats....

it is if you take it out of context. If I look at Shaq making 8 straight free throws and conclude he is a great free throw shooter then he misses the next 8 he has regressed to the mean. 

As the celtics did.  

The null hypothesis would of course be the opposite to my Hypothesis which is the loss of Rondo did not really improve play last year and the 15 game stretch really doesn't account for much. 

In Statiscs in order to prove your Hypothesis. You have to refute the null hypothesis.

As evidence of that I would use The very similar records with and without Rondo last year (using the entire year)  and point out that their were many winning and losing streaks throughout the year. The evidence would point to a basically streaky team.

50 games is a large sample I supose, but better would be to use Rondo's entire career (if we are focusing on win loss with and without Rondo) We have that data. It is certainly idiotic to use 15 games of data only and cherry picked as Rally did when you have so much more the entire season and career of Rondo to draw upon. 

Again using the shaq anaology you wouldn't focus on one streak in the middle of the season where he was hitting his free throws and conclude he is good at that. 

Feel educated yet my friend? 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

All the negative things that are said about Rondo are from people outside the organization. The whole Rondo is tough to coach has no basis, there have been many successful teams that had regular fights,run ins and confrontations. Other criticisms from non admirerers have been he only plays when he wants to,which I find totally baseless, 4 All Star times doesn't usually accompany player that play only when they want to. All players have better days and worse days sometimes it isn't all about whether they wanted to or not. His shooting, both FTs and outside are equally criticisms are equally overblown his 3 pt shots Rondo isn't that great 24% but he shoots less than 1 a game. He is an meh FT but he was shooting better last year. All in all he's an excellent PG and say what ever you want about CP3,D-Will,Rose or Westbrook he has done something they haven't, win his last game of the season. I think Rondo is a almost perfect guy for this young team. Rondo is young enough to relate to our younger players and has the recent success to comand their respect. We really can't make any moves until 7/12 but, I would be really suprised if Rondo wasn't one of the main pieces on our team that will be better than most expect.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

So they regressed to their "average"...that's not really "regressing", it's more like settling out to where they should play based on a fairly good sample size (anything over 50 observations is typically a pretty decent sample to yield dependable results). What would your null hypothesis be for the case where the C's lost, what, 8 in a row with Rondo, then won the next 7 without him...just putting that in statistics terms, of course.....statistical anomaly, and if so, what tests would you run to determine the efficacy of your null hypothesis?... educate me Dr. Stats....

it is if you take it out of context. If I look at Shaq making 8 straight free throws and conclude he is a great free throw shooter then he misses the next 8 he has regressed to the mean. 

As the celtics did.  

The null hypothesis would of course be the opposite to my Hypothesis which is the loss of Rondo did not really improve play last year and the 15 game stretch really doesn't account for much. 

In Statiscs in order to prove your Hypothesis. You have to refute the null hypothesis.

As evidence of that I would use The very similar records with and without Rondo last year (using the entire year)  and point out that their were many winning and losing streaks throughout the year. The evidence would point to a basically streaky team.

50 games is a large sample I supose, but better would be to use Rondo's entire career (if we are focusing on win loss with and without Rondo) We have that data. It is certainly idiotic to use 15 games of data only and cherry picked as Rally did when you have so much more the entire season and career of Rondo to draw upon. 

Again using the shaq anaology you wouldn't focus on one streak in the middle of the season where he was hitting his free throws and conclude he is good at that. 

Feel educated yet my friend? 

Not in the least....too many variable in the entire career sampole, not the least of which would be the cast of characters he played with...maybe a controlling factor could be the creation of some sort of algorithim to take into account for differneces in relative number of minutes played with the lead one way or the other, or number of minutes played with other specific members of the team (ie, Ray, KG and PP, for example)...then of course you'd have to include the entire sample of all games played in that case, which would lead to more reliable results...my question would then be, how would you control for the possible presence of multicollinearity within the actual test? C'mon Dr. Watson, I can play this game all day long....

Nor have you addressed the varibles in the 15 games  e.g. Role of Sullinger and others.  and since the orginal hypothesis is yours. (Celtics better without Rondo look at the 15 games) the burden is on you to account for those varibles if you are going to use that statistic as Rally and your side does. 

An algorithim,  could certainly be created to account for the differences of varibles of players etc.. Although modeling that would certainly be a lot of work. of course you wil need to do that if you are to cite the idiotic 8-0 stat again. Because that is the evidence to suport your sides hypothesis.  Ludckyily I'm confident the Celtics have done such and that is why Rondo is still on the team.  But again the orginal hypothesis is yours so that burden is on you.

You can do that, once you create an acceptable Sample size of course which you still haven't addresed nor created. 

I can play this game all day too and I'll win it. 

Sections
Shortcuts