Extinction of the "TRUE" PG?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

Extinction of the "TRUE" PG?

I believe that the emphasis on having a "true" PG has been fading for over a decade now. With bigger athletes becoming so adept at handling the ball, i.e. Bron, PP, Kobe, etc. and almost all of the NBA's bigger players continued evolution in higher skill level, the practice of having a primary ball handler on the team is becoming too predictable, easier to defend against, and is phasing out with the evolution of the game. No PG moves faster dribbling with the ball than when it is accurately passed/moved. The team who moves the ball best will have the most success. We are seeing it before our very own eyes. THE Bottom line: The C's are cumulatively more talented skill wise with Rondo, YES.....BUT, the C's are proving to be more efficient, more effecive, and a more successful TEAM without him...the "TRUE" PG. FACT!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

Re: Extinction of the

Lol -- last times someone said...CENTER NO LONGER NEEDED --- hmmmmm PG in extinct too? So, in that case, all players now will be in a wing assignment? Where are we heading??? POLO maybe? We need swimming pool ?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to CHEisCHE's comment:

Lol -- last times someone said...CENTER NO LONGER NEEDED --- hmmmmm PG in extinct too? So, in that case, all players now will be in a wing assignment? Where are we heading??? POLO maybe? We need swimming pool ?

Look at the last 10 NBA champs before you open your mouth. You need not look past last year, or how about the C's last one in 2008 when RR was a mere shadow of himself. Damn, think before you speak.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

i think the premise of the extinction of the point guard is pure balderdash.  every team needs one.  in the history of the game there have been a FEW point forwards.....  bird, lebron, pippen?  any others?

PIERCE CERTAINLY ISN"T ONE- it's killing his game to have to impersonate one!  so let's get us a point guard already!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to aciemvp's comment:

i think the premise of the extinction of the point guard is pure balderdash.  every team needs one.  in the history of the game there have been a FEW point forwards.....  bird, lebron, pippen?  any others?

PIERCE CERTAINLY ISN"T ONE- it's killing his game to have to impersonate one!  so let's get us a point guard already!

Yes, a PG per the position, but not this thing called a "TRUE PG". One that plays keep away for 80% of the shot clock. You see it at work with our team right now. Damn, I don't get it when you guys try to deny what you are seeing......

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

rondo was not and is not a "true PC", he was a true narcissist who guzzled down his personal time with the rock as a way to shield and shirk his obsolescence the second that he passes that ball away. 

in past years, rondo would bring the ball up the floor, swing the ball and then go spend the rest of the posession WAAAAAY in the corner trying to drag his man out of the paint to keep him from gumming up the works on ray running routes or a post play that SOMEONE ELSE WAS RUNNING at the other side of the floor (a/k/a not rondo, the point guard).

in the last two years, rondo has taken to NEVER RELINQUISHING THE BALL AND cutting away from it in the half court set- also known as dominating the ball.  hence the uber predictable swing the ball around the perimeter so we can play catch with rajon so he doesn't feel bad about having to go stand in the corner.

THAT, what i say above in that paragraph is not "being a true point guard" that's being a true nitwit that is short circuiting your team, ruining the pace and foisting all the scoring duties on KG, Pierce when there were and are other able scoring pieces here.

the team is encountering a renaissance OF THOSE OTHER SCORERS GETTING TO BE ABLE TO CARRY THE BURDEN OF SCORERS right now and KG and Pierce not having to do all of the work and receive the ball in late shot clock situations at that to "make their move"...... so the team is really "up" and juiced over how much better the offense is running.

however, that is not going to get the job done in the playoffs / against good teams for extended periods.  we need a point guard who is a TRIPLE THREAT- shoot, pass, dribble/drive.  rondo is a 1 threat point guard- pass.  very predictable and he abdicated his role of dribble driving- ESPECIALLY THIS YEAR that he decided (in a somewhat wilt-like manner) that he was going to be BETTER AT FREE THROWS by not taking as many!!!

this is all a cluster of symptoms of narcissism = i'll do what's best for me rather than what's best for the team.  the pure point guard does the opposite.  on an aged team with SEVERAL VIABLE YOUNG PIECES, up-tempo is what's best for the team!!!  also, rondo scoring 16-20 a night is what's best for the team!!  if KG and pierce only have to mule up 12 points a game each for the regular season then that's AWESOME at their age and games played.

but look at pierce.  40 or 41% field goals and obviously being overused.  that's not what's best for the team.  KG has bounced back quicker without rondo but not paul is saddled with point guard duties so he hasn't.

i hope that explains it all for ya

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

Acie, are you really Rajon Rondo? Its killing PP's "game" to the tune of 5 straight wins! Who gives a damn about his stats?  Sounds like something Rondo would say here! Thanks Rajon.....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

if you want another example of narcissism at the "point guard" position, look at russell westbrook.  year in and year out he's the OPPOSITE of rondo, but also out of ego/narcissism.  he repeatedly shoots too much, and in doing so, ball hogs too much and distributes TOO LITTLE.  another guy who is 6 years into it and doesn't get it. 

ibaka and others are emergent players who are more efficient scorers on the team yet too many times westbrook has to be the scoring man- another NOT "true point guard" and he's the reason why OKC will never win it with him at the helm.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:

Acie, are you really Rajon Rondo? Its killing PP's "game" to the tune of 5 straight wins! Who gives a damn about his stats?  Sounds like something Rondo would say here! Thanks Rajon.....

pierce's shooting is miserable during that stretch.  that's never a good thing.  2-11 in the last game.  that means he is probably over-tired and over-burdened.  41% field goals on the year thus far in the regular season is also another sign of duress......

how can't you see this???

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JG9000. Show JG9000's posts

Yes, a PG per the position, but not this thing called a "TRUE PG". One that plays keep away for 80% of the shot clock. You see it at work with our team right now. Damn, I don't get it when you guys try to deny what you are seeing......

Dennis Johnson was the gold standard for a Celtics point guard. set up plays. move the ball. great scorer. incredible defense. assist man. didn't dribble for 18 second runs. Rondo couln't carry DG's jockstrap.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

if you want another example of narcissism at the "point guard" position, look at russell westbrook.  year in and year out he's the OPPOSITE of rondo, but also out of ego/narcissism.  he repeatedly shoots too much, and in doing so, ball hogs too much and distributes TOO LITTLE.  another guy who is 6 years into it and doesn't get it. 

ibaka and others are emergent players who are more efficient scorers on the team yet too many times westbrook has to be the scoring man- another NOT "true point guard" and he's the reason why OKC will never win it with him at the helm.

Acie, we appear to be in viloent agreement with what everyone TODAY calls a "true" Point Guard. If we were talking about the Stockton, Kidd models of True PGs, then you aere absolutely correct. But the game has evolved to a PG=Primadonna Guard who has waaaay to much control of everything. Equal distribtuion is now feasible with better athletes and skill level. That is the way of the game. Look at us! Winning..... 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

pierce's shooting is miserable during that stretch.  that's never a good thing.  2-11 in the last game.  that means he is probably over-tired and over-burdened.  41% field goals on the year thus far in the regular season is also another sign of duress......

how can't you see this???

Dude, I see that. BUT He has had an aweful year shooting even when Rondo was here. How can you ignore that? Nothing has changed in his shooting during this streatch. Even if it was taking a toll on his shooting, 
    that is the price that we must pay to win games right now. Right?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertmont. Show vertmont's posts

The extinction of true positon players not a far fetched. LB once said a team of athleitc 6'7" to 6'9" players could very well be the game of the future. Basketball is not dribbling it's moving the ball with passing. As players are getting more atheletic and with more basketball I.Q. which is still under delveloped. A player with both is a true basketball player which could make a very good basketball team.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to vertmont's comment:

The extinction of true positon players not a far fetched. LB once said a team of athleitc 6'7" to 6'9" players could very well be the game of the future. Basketball is not dribbling it's moving the ball with passing. As players are getting more atheletic and with more basketball I.Q. which is still under delveloped. A player with both is a true basketball player which could make a very good basketball team.

THANK YOU!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

In response to vertmont's comment:

THANK YOU!

The celtics are playing - passing - defending - rebounding together -- that's the fact. it takes 5 to win ...  seeing the celtics winning but equating a PG extinction does not make sense. You need a PG period...but does not mean a ball hog. 

oh, what da h3ll is  "viloent agreement " with Acie?  man, we are only talking BB why violent?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

How about Rondo? I think he will be availible next year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

How about Rondo? I think he will be availible next year.

Hehehehe!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Very good post and I definitely agree with you about Westbrook.  I have watched many OKC games where they lost because of his inability to get his teammates involved.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

The "true" point guard who handles the ball way too much and is not a scoring threat is coming to an end. Look at the top point guards in the league, all good to great scorers. Pass and go stand in the corner will not get it done any more, neither will pounding the ball for 20 seconds trying for the assist will not work either!! 

Rose, Irving, Curry, Paul, Westbrook, Nash even at 39 all are good to great scorers. That's what point guards are becoming!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

So the truth comes out...lol... this is just a veiled knock on Rondo.... And by the way true (whatever that means) point guards like Rondo,Nash, CP, DWill, DRose, Kyle Irving, john wall, Tony Parker are going nowhere...they are the standard.... LeBron is a freak...PP cant handle whatsoever.....name other bigger guys who handle and run an offense?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In response to VeniceSox's comment:

So the truth comes out...lol... this is just a veiled knock on Rondo.... And by the way true (whatever that means) point guards like Rondo,Nash, CP, DWill, DRose, Kyle Irving, john wall, Tony Parker are going nowhere...they are the standard.... LeBron is a freak...PP cant handle whatsoever.....name other bigger guys who handle and run an offense?

Rondo is not like those guys, they can all get 25 anytime they want too, Rondo can't score like that!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

In response to kyceltic's comment:

Rondo is not like those guys, they can all get 25 anytime they want too, Rondo can't score like that!!

Sure he can... he just is a pass first PG the way it should be...but the point is to the post is that traditional sized pgs are not the future, that big players like LeBron and Pierce (lol) can and will run the offense.  If that were true how is it that almost no one that size does??

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

In response to kyceltic's comment:

WHAAAAT???? of course he can! he doesnt bc thats not his dna right now, but WHAAAT? Did you miss the show against the Heat last playoffs? The difference is, instead of 25 and 4, Rondo will get 22, 13 and 12.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.