Fab Melo is Becoming More Consistent!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Fab Melo is Becoming More Consistent!

We want Fab! We want Fab! 

Fab Melo Is Becoming More Consistent! 

By CelticD on Jan 19, 9:41p +

The Maine Red Claws have reeled off 4 straight victories, and  Fab Melo produced another solid game. He finished the night with 13 points, 11 rebounds (4 offensively), and 4 blocks, shooting 45% from the field, and 75% from the free throw line in close to 33 minutes.

Ever since Fab Melo had that monster triple double against the Erie Bayhawks on December 22nd, where he logged 15 points, 16 rebounds, and 14 blocks, Melo has turned his D-League season around.

Prior to that game, Melo was averaging 7.1 points, 5.2 rebounds, and 2 blocks a game shooting 49% from the field.

After that game, Melo has been averaging 16.6 points, 8.1 rebounds, and 4.4 blocks, shooting 56% from the field.

If the Boston Celtics drafted Melo from Syracuse while he was averaging over 16 points, 8 boards, and 4 blocks, he would be playing as a Boston Celtic right? The fact that he's doing it in the D-League, (which I feel is more competitive than college basketball), makes those stats that much more impressive.

It seems as if that triple-double game increased Melo's confidence, and it was a good call to have him stay with the Red Claws instead of scooping him up after that game.

There's no telling when the Celtics will call up Fab, but I believe he'll be a lot more confident as opposed to how uncomfortable and frail he looked in his limited minutes of Summer League, and preseason. In the D-League, Melo will continue to grow, and get his confidence up, and once he goes back to Boston, he'll have Kevin Garnett as a mentor.

I'm expecting BIG things from Fab Melo, whether it comes this season or the next.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Re: Fab Melo is Becoming More Consistent!

I am guessing DA is getting many calls a day, from other teams, asking about the availability of  Fab Melo! 

Great pick!! 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

What I also like about Melo is he can make those 16-foot jumpers and he's good at the FT line.  

The announcer in last nights game stated, Melo participated in a "lengthy" work out just before the game! The fact last nights game was the second game of a back to back, tells you this kid wants it real bad!! 

Skill + Work ethic + Desire to get better = Success (in many cases)!! 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

I think some people mix age with experience. Melo might be (by rookie standards) old, but he is so new to basketball that it seems he is improving faster than other players at his age. Let us all hope this continues.

And Fierce is right on spot, that his shooting touch is very promising.

Unfortunately, this years RS or postseason will be most likely to early for him.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

I think some people mix age with experience. Melo might be (by rookie standards) old, but he is so new to basketball that it seems he is improving faster than other players at his age. Let us all hope this continues.

And Fierce is right on spot, that his shooting touch is very promising.

Unfortunately, this years RS or postseason will be most likely to early for him.  

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Speculation on my part: Melo will be back with the team by no later than March 15th! 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

let's hope so...if not sooner....I still say hang on to Sully and Melo.....!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

He's a project for sure..........if DA wanted two guys who would have contributed right away, he would have taken PJIII or Moultrie.  I was not in the Festus camp......but I am now.  He is playing and playing well.

It is apparent that DA drafted this guy for the future.  I don't see him playing much this year, if at all!

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Last night,  Festus started, played 30 mins, had 13 points and 8 rebounds!

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:

38 games played and last night was the first time he scored in double figures.

Also, in 38 games, Ezeli only has 1 game where he ended up in double figures in rebounds.

Fab Melo has more potential, he can become like Mutombo on defense.

Melo wiil be Mutumobo in the new era.  We are still in the old era and we need some band aids.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Also, in 38 games, Ezeli only has 1 game where he ended up in double figures in rebounds.

That's what I said, he was drafted for the future.  I also said if DA wanted someone who could play NOW he would have gone in another direction.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Could be why we haven't made a trade yet.  Maybe DA refuses to give him up, and keeps exploring other avenues!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

not sure he'll be able to contribute much by the playoffs this year, but it will be valuable for him to be with the big club by March something or other regardless.  Next year will be exciting to watch him go for the next step.  He could be a diamond in the ruff in a couple more years.  75% from the line is nice for a rookie 7 footer.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

"Contributing" can mean a number of things.  All players have six fouls in the bank at the start of the games, and those fouls can become highly tactical in certain games.  Maybe, the plan is for this year's playoff run, but at the same time, would we be that surprised if Melo was used to bring in a better and needed "now" player?  Some teams looking at blow-up situations might be thinking of how to build for the future and make a high-caliber (higher paid) guy available for a legit big (Melo's "big" is legit, we still have to wait for the develpment to continue).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

And some say the Celtics should have drafted Moultrie, Ezeli, or PJ3. HAHAHA

Little early to be passing judgement on the careers of PJ3 and Moultrie as well as the career of Melo.  Melo's development is encouraging, but it is still the D League.  When Melo was out, his backup put up some decent numbers as well, so, it's difficult to judge.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

In response to teejaytee70's comment:

And some say the Celtics should have drafted Moultrie, Ezeli, or PJ3. HAHAHA

Little early to be passing judgement on the careers of PJ3 and Moultrie as well as the career of Melo.  Melo's development is encouraging, but it is still the D League.  When Melo was out, his backup put up some decent numbers as well, so, it's difficult to judge.

I agree, though.  I love the fact he can make free throws.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Melo's coach weighs in:

Rookie center Fab Melo had a double-double with 13 points and 11 rebounds. He also blocked four shots.

"The big thing is we see the progress in Fab," Taylor said. "We're really excited about his consistency. That's the most difficult thing for a young player."

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

i would be happy if he turns into a copy of that kid (sanders)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

He will make people say we stole one in the perk trade.