Fab Melo to Grizzlies?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxCsBruins. Show SoxCsBruins's posts

Fab Melo to Grizzlies?

It seems that Danny has finally given up on Fab...

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2013/08/grizzlies-celtics-talking-fab-melo-donte-greene.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Re: Fab Melo to Grizzlies?

A salary dump?

I don't understand why we can't keep Melo just for the 10% chance he develops into an NBA player in the next three years.

If we're looking for a straight dump. why can't we dump Crawford? Why can't Danny get a Humphries deal done? I know Denver is interested in Courtney Lee as they don't have any SGs ... why can't that happen instead?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

The only thing fab about Fab is his name.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

You obviously didn't watch the RedsArmy video posted this morning.

Fab is working really REALLY  hard on tapping the ball off the glass!

http://redsarmy.com/2013/08/15/your-morning-dump-where-fab-melo-is-really-good-at-tapping-the-ball-off-the-glass/

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Next week Fab is moving on to Rim pull-ups. He's also been working hard on his bench sitting technique  (after that disasterous early season incident)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

I'm sure Danny and  Mike Taylor carefully monitored Melo's lack of progress with the Red Claws and determined that he just doesn't have the tools to become a productive NBA player no matter how much development.  

I also read on another blog that Stevens hired one of his recent ex Baylor players as an assistant last month with a specific directive to work with Melo.  Maybe Melo's did not cooperate or his attitude was not acceptable?  

In either case, Melo looked absolutely aweful every time I watched him play. So maybe that first round draft pick was a high-risk high-reward swing and a miss for Danny boy.  

Be interesting if Colton Iverson comes back from Turkey, but I think he signed a two year deal with a one year commitment.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

And the jury is still out on the guys drafted after Melo. PJ3, Moultrie, Ezeli, Green, ... not sure if any of these guys will becomes steals this year. Melo was a good risk to take.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Trade's Official. Bye bye Fab :(

The Boston Celtics announced today that they have acquired forward Donte Greene from Memphis in exchange for center Fab Melo and cash considerations.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Despite what ya'll are saying, mark my words, Celtics are going to regret this transaction. Melo hasn't even had a full year to develop. In a world where DeAndre Jordan make 10M and rock-brain Mgee is a starting Center for a contending team .. Melo has a place. 

Can't teach 7'. It may take 5 years, but someone is going to see the fruits of Melo's hard work. Fab will be a decent backup big, rim protector and have at least one good contract in the NBA.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

In response to Mployee8's comment:

In response to R9R's comment:

A salary dump?

I don't understand why we can't keep Melo just for the 10% chance he develops into an NBA player in the next three years.

If we're looking for a straight dump. why can't we dump Crawford? Why can't Danny get a Humphries deal done? I know Denver is interested in Courtney Lee as they don't have any SGs ... why can't that happen instead?

C'mon R9R, You really think Danny dumped Randolph to keep Melo?  Danny had to find a taker for Melo to save face and he's been trying to get something for Crawford all summer. Wouldn't be surprised if we resigned Randolph now that Melo is gone or another PG.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4706435/report-grizzlies-eyeing-fab-melo

He was trying to get under the salary cap do we didn't get the repeater luxury tax. This may have been his only way to do it. Also not sure what Danny has to save face for. It's not like young Michael Jordan was the pick after melo. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

You all realize that this RUINS our sure-thing tank-job in the race to Wiggins sweepstakes.

Stevens & Danny could have LEGITIMATELY played Melo 20mpg to get him NBA experience, and that would have assured a lot of losses. Not "tanking" but tanking through roster decisions.

Melo was the perfect Center for this year's Celtics. Cry

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

Wow!! that was quick. I figured they'd at least keep him till the end of the season and then decide on his team option. Guess this was the only way to get under tax.

Melo's lack of improvment in this years summer league was very discouraging. He is just too far away from being even a decent backup. I hear other people talking about development and saying hes a 3-5 year project. Ok fine, but what does he project to be after all that development and patience? A 3rd string center or backup at best. U dont need to invest all that time and effort into developing a rotational big u can just sign one as a free agent.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GregCelts. Show GregCelts's posts

Bad draft pick by the Celts.

Crowder, Ezeli, Plumlee, Teague...all these guys are decent NBA players. 

Sullinger was a great pick, and Fab was a bust!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

Melo still won't see any playing time in Memphis unless Gasol and Randolph go down.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

You all realize that this RUINS our sure-thing tank-job in the race to Wiggins sweepstakes.

Stevens & Danny could have LEGITIMATELY played Melo 20mpg to get him NBA experience, and that would have assured a lot of losses. Not "tanking" but tanking through roster decisions.

Melo was the perfect Center for this year's Celtics. Cry

LOL.  Fear not, Fav won't be much better...

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

Wasted draft pick , Perry Jones III was sitting there.....

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Despite what ya'll are saying, mark my words, Celtics are going to regret this transaction. Melo hasn't even had a full year to develop. In a world where DeAndre Jordan make 10M and rock-brain Mgee is a starting Center for a contending team .. Melo has a place. 

Can't teach 7'. It may take 5 years, but someone is going to see the fruits of Melo's hard work. Fab will be a decent backup big, rim protector and have at least one good contract in the NBA.

Maybe, but he seems to have the (lack of) work ethic of Patrick O'Bryant but less skill. Not a good combination; he'll probably be toiling in the Puerto Rican league next year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from fbombfury. Show fbombfury's posts

Poor BCSP!!  His protege(Melo) is gone....traded! LMAO Let's remember he was touting this kid all last season.  Didn't matter if Melo caused himself a concussion walking through a doorway, he still touted him as the next KG!  Poor BCSP Sad Face

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

A salary dump?

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4706435/report-grizzlies-eyeing-fab-melo

But I was wrong saying Danny saved face anyway ... had he gotten cash or even a 2nd rd pick for Melo that would have saved "some" face... Just has I predicted ... a wasted, degenerate gambler pick by Ainge after taking a risk on Sully. Danny should be held accountable for such stupidity and I'm one of his supporters ... I hope he's learned from this!

[/QUOTE]

I believe that Danny did get Cash in the transaction.

Regardless, the draft is a crap shoot, especially after the lottery picks (and even then).  Danny hit a home run with Sully, Rondo and probably Oly.  Johnson and Melo were busts.  Alot of late first round picks are busts.  Overall, I think his draft record is very good.  Even Bill Belichick selects some high draft busts (Butler, Chung and probably Ras I and Tavon Wilson). 

and Don't so quickly forget the absolutely brilliant SD and Brooklyn trades that Danny made.

I have renewed respect for Danny. The Melo experiment was a minor blip on a deeper radar.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

HALLELUJAH!!!!!

Maybe Ainge took the gamble because he wanted a star or nothing at all because of the salary cap and rebuilding plans. Personally I think he just messed up. Ezeli is a solid role player.

Sections
Shortcuts