Fab Melo to Grizzlies?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

Re: Fab Melo to Grizzlies?

So what?

We have plenty of bigs and ten first round picks in the next few years.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from scash2013. Show scash2013's posts

Just another exmple why I laugh when people say the KG/Perce trade was a  good idea because we will be getting a bunch of number ones.

The problem is, Ainge's draft record is miserable. This wil be compounded by the fact that these are going to be mid to late round picks. I looked at last year's All Star team. There were ony four players on either roster that were picked after 15. There was Kobe and Nash at 16 and 17. Back in the 90s- when drafts were probably deeper Then there was Marc Gasol and Rondo further down. I forget the actual numbers, but it was something crazy like 70-80% were top ten picks. And 60% or so were top 5.

I have never gotten the impression, since Ainge got here, that he has the ability to see the big picture. And I don't think he ever has a long term plan. He just reacts in the momemt. Like the idiotic Perk trade.

I know it wont happen. But I wish the Celtics would replace him with a real GM. It's going to be nearly impossible to rebuild with him running the show. Even worse, I fear he is going to set us into a really deep hole that will take many years to crawl out of.

What if he trades Rondo? This is a star driven league. Stars want to play with other stars. If Rondo is gone, what's our drawing card? Jeff Green? Please, there are 100 Jeff Greens in this league. Almost every team has a player comparable to JG. It's freezing here. And fair or not, Boston has a rep as a racist city.

I have a bad feeling about this.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

I believe that Danny did get Cash in the transaction.

Regardless, the draft is a crap shoot, especially after the lottery picks (and even then).  Danny hit a home run with Sully, Rondo and probably Oly.  Johnson and Melo were busts.  Alot of late first round picks are busts.  Overall, I think his draft record is very good.  Even Bill Belichick selects some high draft busts (Butler, Chung and probably Ras I and Tavon Wilson). 

and Don't so quickly forget the absolutely brilliant SD and Brooklyn trades that Danny made.

I have renewed respect for Danny. The Melo experiment was a minor blip on a deeper radar.

I believe Danny gave cash instead of getting cash, which makes sense if the Celtics are getting a contract that they can dump to get under the cap.  Memphis is already under the luxury tax so they probably would have carried Donte Green on the roster anyway.  Memphis gets some spare change and one year to see if Melo can develop for Donte who they probably burried deep at the end of the bench.  And Celtics probably have a net saving even with the money that they sent to Memphis.

This speaks loudly that Danny really gave up on Melo, and they would not even want to carry him for minimal amount of money.

And Sully and Oly are already homeruns?  That is a little bit of a stretch, I give you Rondo is a good pick in the 20s but Danny had a lot of really bad late rounds as many as other GMs in the league.  He seems average to me compared to the rest.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

Danny's picks...Rondo, Powe, Big Al, Glen Davis, Sullinger, Olynyk, Jeff Green, Tony Allen, Delonte West, Randy Foye, Avery Bradley, etc....

Not bad considering we usually drafted late.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from guesmem2011. Show guesmem2011's posts

In other news, the Memphis Grizzlies have posted in trade magazines for carpenters who specialize in raising door headers......

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

Danny Ainge is an above average GM. I just wish he would gamble less.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from debrit. Show debrit's posts

In response to Mployee8's comment:

In response to jtkl's comment:

Melo was a good pick by Danny.All the guya drafted after Melo,are not doing much better than Melo.Good lucky Fabio.Lets try another Brazilian,Faverani.Maybe Green will surprise.Go Celtics

In response to R9R's comment:

A salary dump?

I don't understand why we can't keep Melo just for the 10% chance he develops into an NBA player in the next three years.

If we're looking for a straight dump. why can't we dump Crawford? Why can't Danny get a Humphries deal done? I know Denver is interested in Courtney Lee as they don't have any SGs ... why can't that happen instead?

C'mon R9R, You really think Danny dumped Randolph to keep Melo?  Danny had to find a taker for Melo to save face and he's been trying to get something for Crawford all summer. Wouldn't be surprised if we resigned Randolph now that Melo is gone or another PG.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4706435/report-grizzlies-eyeing-fab-melo

He was trying to get under the salary cap do we didn't get the repeater luxury tax. This may have been his only way to do it. Also not sure what Danny has to save face for. It's not like young Michael Jordan was the pick after melo. 

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4706435/report-grizzlies-eyeing-fab-melo

In moving Melo after just one season, the Celtics are acknowledging they misfired while using the No. 22 pick to secure the Syracuse product last summer. Boston had two first-round picks in that 2012 draft and snagged Jared Sullinger one pick earlier, then rolled the dice on Melo, an insanely raw Brazilian big man who toiled in the D-League for much of his rookie campaign.

But I was wrong saying Danny saved face anyway ... had he gotten cash or even a 2nd rd pick for Melo that would have saved "some" face but swapping for a scrub that was picked up by Memphis in April who's toiled back and forth from the NBA to the NBADL after being selected #28 in 2008 is an admittance of failure with the #22 pick by Danny in 2012. Just has I predicted ... a wasted, degenerate gambler pick by Ainge after taking a risk on Sully. Danny should be held accountable for such stupidity and I'm one of his supporters ... I hope he's learned from this!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from debrit. Show debrit's posts

Melo was a good pick in a very weak draft.Maybe the other Brazilian,Faverani will stick around.All the guys drafted after Melo,are not doing very well neither.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjetssuc. Show nyjetssuc's posts

In response to R9R's comment:

Despite what ya'll are saying, mark my words, Celtics are going to regret this transaction. Melo hasn't even had a full year to develop. In a world where DeAndre Jordan make 10M and rock-brain Mgee is a starting Center for a contending team .. Melo has a place. 

Can't teach 7'. It may take 5 years, but someone is going to see the fruits of Melo's hard work. Fab will be a decent backup big, rim protector and have at least one good contract in the NBA.

Sorry R9R, Melo bites the proverbial B-O-N-E...he's made no strides except cornering the market on giving himself concussions, he's an all-pro in that department....he is no loss...and it sounds like Green  might be even worse...one gone, one on his way out...good move by DA!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjetssuc. Show nyjetssuc's posts

In response to guesmem2011's comment:

In other news, the Memphis Grizzlies have posted in trade magazines for carpenters who specialize in raising door headers......

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

Jeff will be dissapointing if he draws the best defender every night based on his past performance. Maybe he is a different guy. Odds are he's still not as aggressive a player as he needs to be.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

I'm sure Danny and  Mike Taylor carefully monitored Melo's lack of progress with the Red Claws and determined that he just doesn't have the tools to become a productive NBA player no matter how much development.  

I also read on another blog that Stevens hired one of his recent ex Baylor players as an assistant last month with a specific directive to work with Melo.  Maybe Melo's did not cooperate or his attitude was not acceptable?  

In either case, Melo looked absolutely aweful every time I watched him play. So maybe that first round draft pick was a high-risk high-reward swing and a miss for Danny boy.  

Be interesting if Colton Iverson comes back from Turkey, but I think he signed a two year deal with a one year commitment.  

He looked absolutely awful because he was absolutely awful... he moved like Frankenstein on valium... what Danny saw in him is beyond me.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

Greene has a non-guaranteed contract for $1MM and can be waived before the season starts to get under the tax line and/or create another roster spot.

exactly!!

hello Greene

goodbye Greene...we hardly knew you!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjetssuc. Show nyjetssuc's posts

Melo is just a tall kid from Brazil who got a chance to come to the US to play hoops at Syracuse...he should have stayed in school two more years if he wanted to work diligently at his profession...don't cry for Melo...he'll go back to Brazil when this current contract is up or when he gets cut, whichever comes first, and live like a king in his home country on the proceeds of his contract...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjetssuc. Show nyjetssuc's posts

AN ODE TO FAB MELO

Poor old Fab,

He just had to go,

His head was too high,

And the doors were too low.

The kid couldn't run ,

The kid couldn't shot,

And in the f#c*ing end,

He had to get the boot.

Fear not for Mr. Fab,

He's got a lot of dough,

He'll soon be fillpin' burgers,

That's all you need to know.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

[QUOTE]

Greene has a non-guaranteed contract for $1MM and can be waived before the season starts to get under the tax line and/or create another roster spot.

Now you believe me that the Celts will not be repeater tax payers if they stay below the tax line in 2014 and 2015?

[/QUOTE]

Actually I give him a lot of credit for consistently posting the Fab Melo will be a bust and that there were better options available for Danny.  That is more relevant to this thread.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from poopsteo. Show poopsteo's posts

In response to DaCeltics' comment:

Danny Ainge is an above average GM. I just wish he would gamble less.

The jet signing was a head scratcher, 3 years when the big two came off the books after 2014. Taking Fab when T Wroten was still on the board. Not getting 2013 first rounders with pp and RR trades before last season when they had more value. I wish he gambled more... Now we are a year behind the rebuild with are greatest asset on the mend. Doc would have had no leverage to coach a contender and force his way out. Passive Danny sucks!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to fbombfury's comment:

Poor BCSP!!  His protege(Melo) is gone....traded! LMAO Let's remember he was touting this kid all last season.  Didn't matter if Melo caused himself a concussion walking through a doorway, he still touted him as the next KG!  Poor BCSP Sad Face

Nothing poor about me my friend : ) DA took a shot and it did not work out. I wish Fab well in future endeavors! 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In response to DaCeltics' comment:

Jeff will be dissapointing if he draws the best defender every night based on his past performance. Maybe he is a different guy. Odds are he's still not as aggressive a player as he needs to be.

The bad predictions on Jeff happened all summer before last year and into the early season.   He proved the doubters wrong.  Don't think he'll be an all star, but I think he will be aggressive and effective, especially once Rondo is back.   Jeff is a quality player and while not at superstar status, he's darned good.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBigTicket05. Show TheBigTicket05's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

In response to Celtsfan4life's comment:

[QUOTE]

The bad predictions on Jeff happened all summer before last year and into the early season.   He proved the doubters wrong.  Don't think he'll be an all star, but I think he will be aggressive and effective, especially once Rondo is back.   Jeff is a quality player and while not at superstar status, he's darned good.

I think Jeff Green has the potential to be an All-Star.

He can do everything on offense and he's good on defense too.

Maybe he won't reach superstar status, but an All-Star appearance in the near future is a strong possibility.

[/QUOTE]

agree!

Sections
Shortcuts