Fab Melo

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from docc. Show docc's posts

Fab Melo

Is Fab ready to play ball?   Anthony Davis is playing.   Drummond is playing for Detroit.   Myers Leonard and Tyler Zeller are playing.   Personally, if Fab is headed to the D-League, then it is a wasted pick.   Cs shoulda resigned Steimsma.   Then they coulda drafted Jeff Taylor of Vanderbilt.   In the long run they are gonna need a sf who can play D.   Someone to replace Petrius of last yr.   PP is older.   JG can't play D.   Taylor can hit standstill 3s (? will he play like Bruce Bowen or Michael Cooper).   I don't know how smart Taylor is (sports IQ) like those two.   He tested high athletically in the predraft camps.   In the summer leagues he didn't seem that athletic, but played pretty good position defense (and that is what defense is mostly about).   Now, this is not new for me.   I said the C's shoulda drafted 2 of the three of Andrew Nicholson or Sully and Taylor in that order.   Gave the Cs benefit of doubt cause I didn't remember Melo's game (got suspended) and Cs need a big man.   But, word to GMs:   Never draft a big man only cause he's big!!   Some of the most wasted draft choices in history.   Only time will tell, but, if Melo isn't ready now, then he'll never be ready for the big time.   And, it will have been a wasted draft choice and DA will have blown it...again.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

Re: Fab Melo

I really liked the Steemer...he blocked shots, hustled and had a decent j..but got pushed around too much..I thought he was improving given the short season...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Fab Melo is not going to help with the big man problem in 2012-13 sadly.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

wow...the #1 pick in the draft is playing and melo isnt. DA stinks at drafting

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Melo is a work in progress and everyone knows it.....when you have two #1's AND have Sullinger fall to your team it is ok to draft a 7 footer who is athletic and still learning the game.....Red gambled and drafted Bird...#1 Red knew Bird couldn't help him that season....and #2, there was no assurance that Bird would sign after the following year in school....sometimes you have to roll the dice....not saying Melo has anywhere near the talent...just saying that sometimes it's worth the gamble....and drafting him where they did....why not...?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Lets see who were the teams that those guys were playing for?  New Orleans, Cleveland, and Detroit.  Stands to reason they would play.  With that said,  Melo sure has a long way to go. Just have to hope DA knows something about Melo we haven't seen yet.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

I think Fab Melo was a perfect waste of a first round pick.  He won't help the C's this year.  He  won't help the C's for the next 3 years.  He is a classic allcaps boldfaced PROJECT, and  if you could make bigger fonts  on this new board, I'd throw that  in  too. Feel free to remind me of this comment anytime over the next 3 years.  Giving a pass to JG and Celtic D because we're 1 freakin game into the season and it's a nobrainer to wait a while (like a few months or until AB comes back).

But Melo?  Have they purchased his ticket to Maine  yet?  Keep me posted.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to Fiercest34's comment:

In response to concord27's comment:

Fab Melo is not going to help with the big man problem in 2012-13 sadly.

+1

Agree that he won't help the team this year.  He was a very good college player, but still has some developing to do until he becomes a good NBA player. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Melo will be brought along slowly, much like KP was brought along slowly during his developmental years with the Cs.

Trust in DA and Doc!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

agree with you.....he is taller, quicker, and more athletic than Perk ever was.....just learn to rebound, block some shots, and dunk....as a lifelong Celtic fan I don't mind waiting a year or two..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DFURY13. Show DFURY13's posts

Perk took a few years to groom and this guy has more gifts than Perk. I don't mind waiting.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Fab Melo only played like four years orgnizated BB.   He barely played at Cuse due to suspension twice in his first two years there.  Cuse never play man to man defense as well he is like a forth to fifth option guy on the offense.

Give him some time to learn these defense sheme as well he need more time to learn how to play more offensively!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

Has Fab left the building?  Is he already eating lobster in Maine?  I didn't see  him listed in the box score against the Bucks.  Not even a DNP?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from docc. Show docc's posts

Duke.   Bird was THE BEST player in the country (allright maybe Magic) in his Jr year.   I'd wait for the best anytime.   Are you comparing Melo to Larry?   I know you're not.   Cs are an old team.   You can't waste picks.   Can't waste your time w/ centers nowadays.   Better to obtain a free agent center.   So few good ones that they're not even given a position for all-star balloting.   Centers tho usually are tradeable.   But, if you expect Fab to lead to a 'ship', then keep waiting.   I'm not saying the Cs are gonna be all that this yr, but, if we had any hope, then they needed all the better players they could get.   Not another Thabeet

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Here's a newsflash for the OP: unless you have a top three draft pick, your only hope to have a good big in the NBA is to draft 'em unpolished and develop them. That's it. 

Bigs don't matter as much as they used to: see Miami Heat, NBA champs, but they still have impact and using a draft pick on a big (especially after drafting a potentially productive player this year like Sully) makes total sense. 

In sum, you will NEVER get a big who can produce right away without a top three draft pick or a rare trade...

Maybe they should have resigned Steamer as well, though he looks best from a distance, but that has nothing to do with Fab Melo as a pick. You can't really evaluate Fab Melo for about three years. 

The Celts having a layup drill defense is more than just a big. 

That said if you don't like the defense from a big man standpoint you can ask yourself if Jeff Green might have been worth Kendrick Perkins.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

Here's a newsflash for the OP: unless you have a top three draft pick, your only hope to have a good big in the NBA is to draft 'em unpolished and develop them. That's it. 

Bigs don't matter as much as they used to: see Miami Heat, NBA champs, but they still have impact and using a draft pick on a big (especially after drafting a potentially productive player this year like Sully) makes total sense. 

In sum, you will NEVER get a big who can produce right away without a top three draft pick or a rare trade...

Maybe they should have resigned Steamer as well, though he looks best from a distance, but that has nothing to do with Fab Melo as a pick. You can't really evaluate Fab Melo for about three years. 

That said if you don't like the defense from a big man standpoint you can ask yourself if Jeff Green might have been worth Kendrick Perkins.

We would be in much better shape if that trade was never made.  Perkins at least was tough in the paint and players were leary of just running to the hope. If defense wins then its a really bad trade.   Green is soft and can't play D or rebound.  Bad trade.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

In todays nba you need a rim protector, cuz with no hand checking guys can pretty much get into the lane at will. We lost that without perk.  Fab melo, may end up being a decent backup (i have my doubts) but one thing he is not is an intimidator. Fab melo is the least scary player in the league. See his clip of sitting on a chair and it broke. GOOFBALL.  I think I can legit beat up fab melo. I would not want to fk with perk tho. Thats it in a nutshell, if a guy aint scared he will attack if he is he'll take a 20 ft contested jumper.  (much like jgreen does, another on my list of least scary guys). Posey, perk, pj brown, ta, powe those guyz had ballz. Thats what you need. Thats y I cant wait for bradley to come back. Kid plays with no fear, he attacks u relentlessly on both ends with his full court pressure and cuts to the hoop.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

My guess is that if Melo does not show improvement by pre-season next year he'll be traded for a 2nd round pick and everyone will be saying how brilliant Ainge is despite how deep the draft was and how many very good players were passed up to get Melo. I would have loved this pick if Boston still had Clifford Ray on the payroll. He has the physical talent to be a great pick. I am hopeful that reaches his potential.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

to tell you the truth..i don't think fab melo will do crap in the NBA...i think it was a bad choice...he's raw and a project..thats all he is...we could have done better...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to Mchampion's comment:

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

We would be in much better shape if that trade was never made.  Perkins at least was tough in the paint and players were leary of just running to the hope. If defense wins then its a really bad trade.   Green is soft and can't play D or rebound.  Bad trade.  

i liked the trade...we need to play defense as a team...sure green may be soft on D? i can't tell by two games? but everybody has to help each other...and about the trade..if we still had nenad krstic it would be so much better..the guy could shoot the ball...not that good on D but hitting his shots helped.

Sections
Shortcuts