Fans

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Fans

OK.....just a question.....I will turn 60 in a few weeks and I have been a sports fan all my life.....I am wondering about "loyalty" when it comes to our teams...

in baseball, I was a Brooklyn Dodger fan first....when they moved to LA I was still a Dodger fan...rooted for LA

I was also a Boston Celtic fan....and remain so....I admit I also admired Elgin Baylor and the Lakers as a youngster..

My question is....how many Laker fans posting here were also fans when the team played in Minny?  .....you don't even have to be fans of the teams that won five championships....maybe there aren't too many fans that go back that far....but maybe you were a fan during Baylor's rookie season in '58-59?

I'm just wondering.....I bet the vast majority of fans posting on this board didn't become fans until the first championship in the early '70's or the Magic Lakers...or even prior to Shaq/Kobe.......if that is the case....there is no reason for all of our back and forth banter....people can only argue their history.....why all the fighting?   ....just an observation or opinion.....anyway....carry on friends...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Re: Fans

Hi Duke

Good post.

I became a Laker fan when I was around 5 years old. At the time the Lakers were a shambles. But what attracted me to the team is that they were the chief rivals of my Dad and brothers team The Celtics. 

I loved the fact that on the old videos that Kareem and James wore goggles, I thought this was cool, along with Worthy who was my favorite Laker. He was my favorite and he wore goggles! Also loved the uniforms. I liked that Fletch was a Laker fan. Silly reasons maybe but I was little! 

Dad attempted to convert me to the Celtics when I was little, but my mind was made up. Although he didn't have that nasty DVD called, what, Celtics Baby? How to brainwash your child to support your team, LOL that's the funniest thing I've seen.

Have a large collection of Lakers singlets, books and DVDs. Most bought by my parents for birthdays, Christmas etc. My dad is great because he's Celtic though and though and he's buying all this Laker stuff, especially when I was younger. And I copped it from my brothers! 

One of the highlights from years ago was seeing Magic in 95/96 playing against Seattle in Seattle. We lost, but it was just wonderful seeing Magic play in real life. Dad drove us down from Vancouver to Seattle for the game. 

I find it impossible to cheer on Bryant. It's hardest thing about being a Laker fan for me. I didn't mind Bryant before the rape case. But after that the man just repulses me. But I cheer for the uniform in his case and not the player. I think we've all had players like that in the past in our teams.

I wish I could have seen the 80's Lakers for myself and not on DVD. Was a great era for us, if not for the Celtics we'd have won another title in 1984. And I still freak out when I see that shot of Ralph Sampsons in 1986. Luckiest shot ever. 
    But I'm getting to see a golden era now. I love Shaq, Pau and Luke Walton. Derek Fisher is really cool too! Also a fan of Robert Horry. The only player who has never been a Celtic to own 7 championship rings. 

I love the fact, and I'm guessing here that a lot of the Celtic fans who post here have stuck with the team though the leanest spell in Celtic history. I think that's cool and I love people who are loyal to their teams.

I'm sure we'll have another lean period soon, but I'll stick with my team no matter what. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Question for C's fans how did you become a fan of the Celtics?

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

In Response to Re: Fans:
    [QUOTE]Hi Duke Good post. I became a Laker fan when I was around 5 years old. At the time the Lakers were a shambles. But what attracted me to the team is that they were the chief rivals of my Dad and brothers team The Celtics.  I loved the fact that on the old videos that Kareem and James wore goggles, I thought this was cool, along with Worthy who was my favorite Laker. He was my favorite and he wore goggles! Also loved the uniforms. I liked that Fletch was a Laker fan. Silly reasons maybe but I was little!  Dad attempted to convert me to the Celtics when I was little, but my mind was made up. Although he didn't have that nasty DVD called, what, Celtics Baby? How to brainwash your child to support your team, LOL that's the funniest thing I've seen. Have a large collection of Lakers singlets, books and DVDs. Most bought by my parents for birthdays, Christmas etc. My dad is great because he's Celtic though and though and he's buying all this Laker stuff, especially when I was younger. And I copped it from my brothers!  One of the highlights from years ago was seeing Magic in 95/96 playing against Seattle in Seattle. We lost, but it was just wonderful seeing Magic play in real life. Dad drove us down from Vancouver to Seattle for the game.  I find it impossible to cheer on Bryant. It's hardest thing about being a Laker fan for me. I didn't mind Bryant before the rape case. But after that the man just repulses me. But I cheer for the uniform in his case and not the player. I think we've all had players like that in the past in our teams. I wish I could have seen the 80's Lakers for myself and not on DVD. Was a great era for us, if not for the Celtics we'd have won another title in 1984. And I still freak out when I see that shot of Ralph Sampsons in 1986. Luckiest shot ever.  But I'm getting to see a golden era now. I love Shaq, Pau and Luke Walton. Derek Fisher is really cool too! Also a fan of Robert Horry. The only player who has never been a Celtic to own 7 championship rings.  I love the fact, and I'm guessing here that a lot of the Celtic fans who post here have stuck with the team though the leanest spell in Celtic history. I think that's cool and I love people who are loyal to their teams. I'm sure we'll have another lean period soon, but I'll stick with my team no matter what.   
    Posted by RUWorthy[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Great post.....I understand completely how you grabbed on and held on....I was actually a Laker fan first...going back to my 5 year old days as well, my older brother introduced me to baseball.....specifically the Brooklyn Dodgers and Duke Snider (hence, my tag, given to me as a teenager....I did play center field and I wore #4 and I even played on a Senior Little League world championship team in 1966....but that's another story)....anyway the Dodgers moved to LA and as I got into other sports I became a fan of the Lakers and Rams...after the Lakers lost to the Celtics twice I decided to check Boston out....I became hooked on the players, their style of play, Red, Johnny Most...I was hooked....I became a Celtic fan (call it bandwagon if you like....I was 10 or 11 at the time)....I still rooted for the Lakers and Baylor in particular...I turned against LA when Wilt joined the team...Russell and Wilt were rivals and I no longer could root for LA.....it got even worse when the Bird/Magic revalry got so heated....anyway, I've been a Celtic fan for almost 50 years....spent many nights at the Garden....was lucky to have had JoJo White's wife Debby work for me....we became good friends....anyway, that's my story...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

[QUOTE]Great post.....I understand completely how you grabbed on and held on....I was actually a Laker fan first...going back to my 5 year old days as well, my older brother introduced me to baseball.....specifically the Brooklyn Dodgers and Duke Snider (hence, my tag, given to me as a teenager....I did play center field and I wore #4 and I even played on a Senior Little League world championship team in 1966....but that's another story)....anyway the Dodgers moved to LA and as I got into other sports I became a fan of the Lakers and Rams...after the Lakers lost to the Celtics twice I decided to check Boston out....I became hooked on the players, their style of play, Red, Johnny Most...I was hooked....I became a Celtic fan (call it bandwagon if you like....I was 10 or 11 at the time)....I still rooted for the Lakers and Baylor in particular...I turned against LA when Wilt joined the team...Russell and Wilt were rivals and I no longer could root for LA.....it got even worse when the Bird/Magic revalry got so heated....anyway, I've been a Celtic fan for almost 50 years....spent many nights at the Garden....was lucky to have had JoJo White's wife Debby work for me....we became good friends....anyway, that's my story...
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

I didn't start watching celtics until the mid 70's...been a fan ever since

FYI..you can delete your mistake/previous post

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulliu. Show paulliu's posts

The first Celtic game I remember enjoying was when I was eight years old.  The reason I think I liked it so much was because my dad had just bought a new fangled thing called a colored TV.

I remember one team in drab green uniforms and the other in shiny gold uniforms.

It wasn't until a few years later that I realized that what I had watched was game 7 against the Lakers in 1969--Russell's and Sam Jones's last game.

By then I was hooked.  I played in an after school pee-wee league and would come home to watch Hondo, JoJo, Cowens, Chaney, Kurburski, Hambone Williams and Hank Finkel.  A small independent station out of Worcester broadcast every Celtic road game so I thought that the team only wore green uniforms.

There was one commentator who would rant and rave and yell at the refs the whole game.  Turned out it was Red Auerbach.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from c.wright. Show c.wright's posts

I am a new comer of the C's, and start watching and being a fan
    when Kevin Garnett was traded, I have always watched KG play with
    the Wolves', I like the players on the C's team PP. BBD, RR, and I
    have not missed a game in 3 yrs. I will always like the C's and wish
    them well this coming season.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

[QUOTE]Great post.....I understand completely how you grabbed on and held on....I was actually a Laker fan first...going back to my 5 year old days as well, my older brother introduced me to baseball.....specifically the Brooklyn Dodgers and Duke Snider (hence, my tag, given to me as a teenager....I did play center field and I wore #4 and I even played on a Senior Little League world championship team in 1966....but that's another story)....anyway the Dodgers moved to LA and as I got into other sports I became a fan of the Lakers and Rams...after the Lakers lost to the Celtics twice I decided to check Boston out....I became hooked on the players, their style of play, Red, Johnny Most...I was hooked....I became a Celtic fan (call it bandwagon if you like....I was 10 or 11 at the time)....I still rooted for the Lakers and Baylor in particular...I turned against LA when Wilt joined the team...Russell and Wilt were rivals and I no longer could root for LA.....it got even worse when the Bird/Magic revalry got so heated....anyway, I've been a Celtic fan for almost 50 years....spent many nights at the Garden....was lucky to have had JoJo White's wife Debby work for me....we became good friends....anyway, that's my story...
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

Wow! You're blessed to have witnessed those early Celtic teams. Certainly some basketball Nirvana there. 

I've said it in another post but I'd have loved to have seen and visited the Garden let alone seen a game there. Saw a game in Madison Square Garden which is an old arena but it's just not the same. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

My best friend was able to get tickets to the games compliments of his employer who was an NBA sponsor...we got "house seats" (usually front row on the floor directly behind the visitors bench).....we could listen to the huddles, that's how close we were to the players......my worst moment was watching Magic hit the running bank shot at the buzzer during a game in the late '80's......we went back to our hotel (Marriott Copley) and found out the the Lakers were staying there...didn't get to meet the players but we did have a moment with Riley....I also got to meet the LA Dodgers players on a trip to Pittsburgh the year I got married (74).....the team was staying at the Hilton as we were....they were a great bunch of guys...we gave them their space but they were really accommodating in the bar....great memories...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

I became a Celtics fan because my Dad was a Celtics fan.  I'm 55 and have been a fan for what it seems like my whole life (of course, I didn't really start paying attention until maybe 6 or 7 years old).   My first love was the Celtics because my Dad made me track Bill Russell who was his favorite Celtic.  He loved the Celts because they were diverse (had black and white players while other teams were still all white).  he loved Russell because he was such a winner (my Dad was a Basketball player in college and followed great players closely).

So, through the good years of Russell and Havlicek and Jo Jo and Cowens + all the bad years, I've loved the Celtics.  

As for the Lakers, typical love/hate relationship.  Gotta love how the Lakers have done so well through the years and produced such great players and teams.  Celtics/Lakers is the greatest rivalry in sports in my opinion.  I hated losing to the Lakers (my worst nightmare was the Magic hook shot over McHale and parish in the Garden)!  But, I loved beating them.  I was broken hearted when the Celts beat the Rockets with Malone and Sampson because I wanted them to beat the Lakers!

Yes, too many posters these days don't have a sense of the history.  Its hard to recognize just how good and how much heart the old teams had.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Well said my friend. The thing about Magic's "baby hook" that killed me at the time......right before the play McHale was shoved going for the rebound on the missed free throw. It should've been Celtics ball with the lead. Instead they called it out of bounds off McHale and LA was awarded the ball.....and then, of course, there was Bird's missed three pointer at the end....the whole series changed in those last few moments...we may have gone back to LA up 3-2.....although, truth be told...we had so many injuries that we may still have lost that series....ah, the memories....good and bad....what a rivalry!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Ahhhhh, the memories.  They're going to create some more this year!  can't wait for the season to start!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Right on Buddy!!  ......this season ended in disappointment but I still can't believe that this team turned it on for the playoffs and got all the way to a very close game 7 on the road.....they reminded me of the '69 Celts....only this time we came up short...still wonderful memories throughout the years...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

Growing up in Los Angeles folks always ask me how I became a Celtics fan.  In all honestly when i woke up Sunday mornings this was the only team on CBS playing besides the 76ers or Knicks.  The Celtics seem to be always winning so I said Im going to route for them. We only had one tv at the time so All i got was a good quarter or two before it was time to head to church.  I didnt get a chance to catch the afternoon games which im sure the Lakers were playing.  My mom or sister werent into basketball so there was no pressure to convert to a Lakers fan.  And by the time my uncles knew i was a Celtics fan, it was too late.  LOL!!!  In all honestly I can only remember seeing the Lakers playing when it was the Celtics. Ive been following the NBA since 1980 and will always route for the CELTICS.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawaiibob. Show hawaiibob's posts

I came on board as a young kid living in Portland, Maine watching the Celtics on Sunday. Moving to L.A. in 1965 didn't change things as I was already a diehard fan. All the kids at my new school were shocked to hear I was a Celtic fan but come spring time I was always happy to come to school the day after the most recent Celtic championship with a big smile on my face and an "I told you so" look in my eyes. Through the years I've enjoyed all the great playoff runs and championships and 2008 was one of the sweetest after so many years of misery. As someone else mentioned, Magic's mini-jr skyhook in '87 broke my heart and I could not watch it in replay for many years--actually until only just recently. The 2010 run was amazing and I really did expect them to win once they made it to the finals. It's all been hashed and rehased so I won't go there. Suffice to say, I think we're looking good for the new season and if everyone's healthy and on the same page, I really like our chances. My Celtic fan highlight was meeting the great Bill Russell after Game 1 of the 1969 Finals in the concourse level walkway well after the game was over. He was walking alone towards us while I was with my folks. I stuck out my hand and he shook it while I looked up at him and said, "Great game, Mr. Russell." He responded with a polite thank you and spoke a plesantry to my folks before walking off deep in thought, probably trying to figure out how to beat the Lakers the next game.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Bob, that is just awesome.....you know Bill wasn't a fan favorite when it came to autographs and such...he could be quite aloof (or so I've read....I've never gotten a chance to meet him)....but to meet him and shake hands.....wow!!  ......great memories huh?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

[QUOTE]I came on board as a young kid living in Portland, Maine watching the Celtics on Sunday. Moving to L.A. in 1965 didn't change things as I was already a diehard fan. All the kids at my new school were shocked to hear I was a Celtic fan but come spring time I was always happy to come to school the day after the most recent Celtic championship with a big smile on my face and an "I told you so" look in my eyes. Through the years I've enjoyed all the great playoff runs and championships and 2008 was one of the sweetest after so many years of misery. As someone else mentioned, Magic's mini-jr skyhook in '87 broke my heart and I could not watch it in replay for many years--actually until only just recently. The 2010 run was amazing and I really did expect them to win once they made it to the finals. It's all been hashed and rehased so I won't go there. Suffice to say, I think we're looking good for the new season and if everyone's healthy and on the same page, I really like our chances. My Celtic fan highlight was meeting the great Bill Russell after Game 1 of the 1969 Finals in the concourse level walkway well after the game was over. He was walking alone towards us while I was with my folks. I stuck out my hand and he shook it while I looked up at him and said, "Great game, Mr. Russell." He responded with a polite thank you and spoke a plesantry to my folks before walking off deep in thought, probably trying to figure out how to beat the Lakers the next game.
    Posted by hawaiibob[/QUOTE]

Sir, you are so lucky to have that meeting with Bill Russell. Glad he shook your hand and made a positive impression with you. I'd love to meet Russell and have a conversation, he'd be amazing to talk with. Not only from a Basketball perspective but from a life persepective. The man's book, 'Rebound' is the best sports autobiography I've ever read. He's just a one of a kind.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

[QUOTE]Question for C's fans how did you become a fan of the Celtics?
    Posted by RUWorthy[/QUOTE]

My Uncle was a friend of William Buckley we went to games several times a year. In 69 My Uncle got me in the locker room after a game I remember Bill Rusells laugh. It stood out I dont think I will ever forget it. I was 7 and I can tell you they were all so nice to me. I still have the ball with everyones autograph I think a couple team managers and towell boys signed it too. I bleed green ever since.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Well, I may be older than you.....but I will continue to root for my teams and post my opinions...I grew up in Upstate New York....there wasn't a major league team in any sport within 5 hours of my town...so there was no home team to root for...by the way, that was pretty rude on your part...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrvAlbertsBra. Show MrvAlbertsBra's posts

In Response to Fans:
    [QUOTE]OK.....just a question.....I will turn 60 in a few weeks and I have been a sports fan all my life.....I am wondering about "loyalty" when it comes to our teams... in baseball, I was a Brooklyn Dodger fan first....when they moved to LA I was still a Dodger fan...rooted for LA I was also a Boston Celtic fan....and remain so....I admit I also admired Elgin Baylor and the Lakers as a youngster.. My question is....how many Laker fans posting here were also fans when the team played in Minny?  .....you don't even have to be fans of the teams that won five championships....maybe there aren't too many fans that go back that far....but maybe you were a fan during Baylor's rookie season in '58-59? I'm just wondering.....I bet the vast majority of fans posting on this board didn't become fans until the first championship in the early '70's or the Magic Lakers...or even prior to Shaq/Kobe.......if that is the case....there is no reason for all of our back and forth banter....people can only argue their history.....why all the fighting?   ....just an observation or opinion.....anyway....carry on friends...
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

Fan since I was 5, with vague memories of the '83 Finals against the Sixers. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrvAlbertsBra. Show MrvAlbertsBra's posts

[QUOTE]The Laker trolls that are always posting here were born when Shaq signed with the Lakers in 1996. They're as old as Hannah Montana so there's really no point in replying to their posts. 
    Posted by Fierce34[/QUOTE]

It's funny that anyone who voices an opinion that is contrary to the herd menality is labeled a "troll".  Hey Smeagol, this is America, free speech.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawaiibob. Show hawaiibob's posts

[QUOTE]Bob, that is just awesome.....you know Bill wasn't a fan favorite when it came to autographs and such...he could be quite aloof (or so I've read....I've never gotten a chance to meet him)....but to meet him and shake hands.....wow!!  ......great memories huh?
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawaiibob. Show hawaiibob's posts

I had been to a couple of games in LA during the regular season or something and had known about Russ's disdain for autographs so knew not to ask for one. I remember reading somewhere about how he thought autographs were impersonal and he'd rather shake a hand and share a brief conversation instead. Anyways, at one of these other games I did get autographs from Havlicek, Sam Jones, Larry Siegfried as well as West, Baylor and even Wilt. Kept them for 20 years until one day, long after I had married and moved away, I returned to my parents' home to pick up some stuff I'd left in storage, just a couple of boxes really, only to discover, my mother! had tossed my boxes in a spring cleaning! There were no Mothers' Day cards or flowers that year, needless to say. Just kidding, but I was quite upset as you can well imagine.

Sections
Shortcuts