Favorite Teams... since a kid... be honest

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Favorite Teams... since a kid... be honest

Hard to say it but since you can remember being a sports fan, what were your favorite teams in the 4 major sports and how have they changed??

Basketball... Celtics.. since the beginning

Football... Oakland Raiders since the 60's ...but first couple years was the Packers

Hockey... Rangers... but first 5 or so years was the Bruins

Baseball... Mets... but first few years was Red Sox

Cant explain how so many Boston teams caught my attention as a youngin...never lived in the area. 

In order of importance to me...Id rank my 4 favorite teams from each sport in the following manner (taking into consideration the joy/stress over the years):

First Place tie:  Celtics/Raiders

Third Place: Mets

Fourth Place: Rangers

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cshashaty. Show cshashaty's posts

Re: Favorite Teams... since a kid... be honest

I grew up in Miami (before the Heat and Marlins existed), but my mom and uncle are from West Roxbury so I gravitated to the Red Sox and Celtics (childhood heroes were Yaz/Rice and Hondo/Cowens, respectively). When it comes to football, I am Dolphins fan all the way. We didn't care much for hockey, and I still don't.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dhajra. Show dhajra's posts

I grew up in Maine -- where we had no "big" teams -- so it was always Boston, and I especially loved the Celtics.  This dates me, but I remember watching Russell play!  And then all the years of Bird, McHale, Chief, etc.  Ah, those were the days.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Celtics, Redskins and Brooklyn Dodgers... since longer than  I care to remember.

Pud

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wade3. Show Wade3's posts

1.There was no marlins so i liked the yankees.

2.The dolphins always.

3.There was no heat so i rooted for the bulls and celtics......

PS. Favorite players pippen jordan bird and parish

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Dodgers since '59.....added Red Sox in '67......they are #1A and #1B in MLB

Lakers in '59 (long story)....Celtics since '62....began the Laker hatred in '80

Rams since '59......began the Patriot hatred after the '02 SB....refs gave it away

Favorite players....

Duke Snider
    Bill Russell
    Larry Bird
    Deacon Jones (Fearsome Foursome were the greatest in my opinion)
    Kurt Warner

Cannot stand...

Kobe
    Wilt
    Brady

50+ years and still a diehard sports fan....(my wife hates playoff time at our house)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Favorite Teams... since a kid... be honest:
    [QUOTE]I grew up in Maine -- where we had no "big" teams -- so it was always Boston, and I especially loved the Celtics.  This dates me, but I remember watching Russell play!  And then all the years of Bird, McHale, Chief, etc.  Ah, those were the days.
    Posted by dhajra[/QUOTE]

Many Celtics fans wish they had the opportunity to watch Bill Russell.  I am very envious of fans who had the opportunity to watch him and those championship teams.   Their will never be another team in any sport that was so dominant for all of those years.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Oh, almost forgot......add the Yankees to the "hate list"....they are public enemy #1 right up there with the Lakers and Pats....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Karl, you asked about the 4 major sports....I've never been a huge hockey fan but I've been to several Bruins games, so I guess my roots are in New England.....and I have a newfound interest in the Canucks...a new friend turned me on to them....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wade3. Show Wade3's posts

[QUOTE]Oh, almost forgot......add the Yankees to the "hate list"....they are public enemy #1 right up there with the Lakers and Pats....
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

LOL.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]Dodgers since '59.....added Red Sox in '67......they are #1A and #1B in MLB Lakers in '59 (long story)....Celtics since '62....began the Laker hatred in '80 Rams since '59......began the Patriot hatred after the '02 SB....refs gave it away Favorite players.... Duke Snider Bill Russell Larry Bird Deacon Jones (Fearsome Foursome were the greatest in my opinion) Kurt Warner Cannot stand... Kobe Wilt Brady 50+ years and still a diehard sports fan....(my wife hates playoff time at our house)
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

Hey Duke, nice to see someone that goes back a little further than myself

Deacon Jones & the Fearsome Foursome were great... I also liked Roman Gabriel at qb..

There used to be a tv show years ago... usually on in the middle of the night.. it was a roundtable of former NFL players and Deacon was one of them..

Well, just about every show deferred to Deacon & his stories.. hes a great story teller and could make you laugh the way he talked about quarterbacks and how he played the game.  The guy should have had his own show..

Ive had so many favorite players but in nba  its Russell, Cowens, Hondo & Larry

NFL is Lamonica, Stabler, Peyton, Earl Campbell, Butkus, Ted Hendricks, Mike Haynes

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Favorite Teams... since a kid... be honest : Hey Duke, nice to see someone that goes back a little further than myself Deacon Jones & the Fearsome Foursome were great... I also liked Roman Gabriel at qb.. There used to be a tv show years ago... usually on in the middle of the night.. it was a roundtable of former NFL players and Deacon was one of them.. Well, just about every show deferred to Deacon & his stories.. hes a great story teller and could make you laugh the way he talked about quarterbacks and how he played the game.  The guy should have had his own show.. Ive had so many favorite players but in nba  its Russell, Cowens, Hondo & Larry NFL is Lamonica, Stabler, Peyton, Earl Campbell, Butkus, Ted Hendricks, Mike Haynes
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]

by Peyton I mean Walter Peyton

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from terrrapin. Show terrrapin's posts

Celtics - Basketball
    Alabama - College Football
    Maryland - College Basketball
    Pittsburgh Penguins - Hockey
    Baltimore Colts - before they left Baltimore now no one
    Baltimore Orioles - Baseball

I know I'll get a lot of love with these picks in Boston. Laughing

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

In Response to Favorite Teams... since a kid... be honest:
    [QUOTE]Hard to say it but since you can remember being a sports fan, what were your favorite teams in the 4 major sports and how have they changed?? Basketball... Celtics.. since the beginning Football... Oakland Raiders since the 60's ...but first couple years was the Packers Hockey... Rangers... but first 5 or so years was the Bruins Baseball... Mets... but first few years was Red Sox Cant explain how so many Boston teams caught my attention as a youngin...never lived in the area.  In order of importance to me...Id rank my 4 favorite teams from each sport in the following manner (taking into consideration the joy/stress over the years): First Place tie:  Celtics/Raiders Third Place: Mets Fourth Place: Rangers
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]
    How did you go from the Bruins to the Rangers?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ojmega. Show ojmega's posts

CELTICS, I HAD A THING FOR THE 96 BULLS THEY WERE SO DOMINANT, I WAS AN AWE BY THEM.
    PATRIOTS, SEAHAWKS.
    BRUINS ALL DAY
    RED SOX 4 LIFE
    NCAA BASKETBALL NORTH CAROLINA TARHEELS
    NCAA FOOTBALL ?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Baseball- Red Sox ALWAYS
    Basketball- Celtics
    Hockey-Bruins
    Football- Giants as a kid were my NFL team Pats-AFL/AFC team Live in Philly now so the Eagles are my NFC team, Pats still my AFC team.
    College Basketball- Providence and BC as a kid. St. Josephs Pa. now. I also root for the other Philly Big Five teams also
    College Football-Notre Dame and BC since my dad went to BC
    College Hockey-BC
    At one time or another while living in Philly I may have wavered once and rooted against a Boston team. Ex. Sixers-Celtics in 77,I really thought the Sixers had a better chance of going all the way. Super Bowl 39 Eagles-Pats. That was tough. But I have never wavered on the Sox. OK I'm lying. Late Sept. 1980 the O's and Sox played and the Sox were out of it so my hatred for the Yanks was too great so I wanted the Sox to lose so the O's could win the division.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

[QUOTE]Celtics - Basketball Alabama - College Football Maryland - College Basketball Pittsburgh Penguins - Hockey Baltimore Colts - before they left Baltimore now no one Baltimore Orioles - Baseball I know I'll get a lot of love with these picks in Boston.
    Posted by terrrapin[/QUOTE]

Why aren't you a Capitals fan? And why not a Maryland football fan? Or an Alabama basketball fan?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Karl, I loved those LA Ram teams.....and yes, Gabe was a great qb......so many fond (and bitter) memories.....that team from the late '60's through the late '80's should've made multiple trips to the SB.....damn Vikes, Cowboys, and later 'Niners...as for Deacon, what a guy....I remember the show you are talking about..if you want a great read, get "Headslap"....the Deacon Jones story.....also "Blood" ......the Jack Youngblood story....

there are so many great Celtic players.....along with the few I noted, I loved Cowans and Silas on those '70's teams....and Max on the '80's teams (hugely underrated player in my opinion)....I have been fortunate enough to have become friends with JoJo White....through him I got to meet and hang with Max, Sam Jones, and Tommy.....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Celtic's, St. Louis Cardinals, Washington Redskins, Don't watch Hockey. My college Basketball team is the Louisville Cardinals, in spite of Pitino. It would be impossible to choose between the Celtic's and the Cardinals, as to what team would be my number 1 of all time!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ironceltic33. Show ironceltic33's posts

NBA-Celtics
    NHL Bruins
    MLB Red Sox
    NFL- Bears
    Hate Tom Brady.
    Soccer Celtic FC and Chivas Guadalajara.
    My number 1 is the Celtics and always will be

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

Celtics always.
    Red Sox always.
    Any American League team in the World Series, except San Francisco (which never got there in their heydey, anyway).  Yanks were pretty inconsequential in my youth.
    Never liked hockey.
    Followed Patriots, but not really into football.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I grew up in Southwestern Virginia, so we had no professional sports in the area. That said ...

Football: Cowboys. This is obviously embarrassing, but I'll say I became a fan the 1970 season (when the lost to the Colts in Super Bowl V, on my birthday no less). Wouldn't say I'm still a fan, but I kinda still root for them. Kind of like a cocaine habit.

Baseball: Pirates. Fell in love with Clemente during the '71 season and then the World Series, where he was amazing. Still my favorite player ever. In '78, I really enjoyed watching Dwight Evans (right fielder, strong arm, etc.) so I drifted to the Sox. (Wouldn't you know, that's the year the blow the 15-game lead). Been with them ever since.

Basketball: Knicks. Loved Walt Frazier. Became a Celtics fan the year they drafted Bird and have been with them since.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

NBA - Celtics since I found out Cousy and Heinsohn went to my Alma Mater - or before 1970 whicever came first...liked the Spurs in the 90's, when we were terrible, just to see Duncan (who should have been ours)

Baseball - Sox always - or whatever team other than the Yankees were in the World Series.  Really like the George Brett Royals, except when they played us.

Hockey - Bobby Orr still play??????

Football - Pats.........okay I liked the Staubach Cowboys but have hated them since Jimmy Johnson took over....followed the Raiders a bit because I went to high school with Howie Long!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

my first favorite baseball team was the mets...err...as a marlins fan now...that makes me shudder

then i watched the dolphins dominate and win nothing through the 80's, the canes dominate and win everything(almost always)

and then the heat started in 89 and i didnt play basketball before then(as i was in germany) but glen rice was my first favorite player ever(i have alot of family in michigan) and when he was drafted by the heat...it all fell together for me...and then riles traded rice for Zo' and the rest is history

going to a couple of panthers games definitely got me into hockey...now i always catch their 2 games a year at the garden and take quite a bit of sh** for my wearing a panther's jersey

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Favorite Teams... since a kid... be honest : How did you go from the Bruins to the Rangers?
    Posted by jaytf25[/QUOTE]

Loved Bruins uniform, then Bobby Orr & Espo.... but turned to the Rangers (remember Im from NY area) in the years of Eddie Giacomin, Ratelle, Hatfield, Park etc when they'd have all out wars against the Bruins & Derek Sanderson (most hated all time? lol)

Truth is since 94, when the Rangers finally won the F***** Stanley Cup, I dont watch them much. That was such a satisying season & the playoffs & finals so electric.... I just couldnt expect it to ever recreate itself again.

The NYC area was in a frenzy over the Rangers cause all the krap we always got from never winning the Cup for 200 years or w/e.. we were jinxed... but in 94... thats all you read, heard or talked about during the playoffs & finals...The Rnagers! .... and for hockey in NY, thats pretty big stuff.