Favorite Teams... since a kid... be honest

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Re: Favorite Teams... since a kid... be honest

In Response to Re: Favorite Teams... since a kid... be honest:
    [QUOTE]Karl, I loved those LA Ram teams.....and yes, Gabe was a great qb......so many fond (and bitter) memories.....that team from the late '60's through the late '80's should've made multiple trips to the SB.....damn Vikes, Cowboys, and later 'Niners...as for Deacon, what a guy....I remember the show you are talking about..if you want a great read, get "Headslap"....the Deacon Jones story.....also "Blood" ......the Jack Youngblood story.... there are so many great Celtic players.....along with the few I noted, I loved Cowans and Silas on those '70's teams....and Max on the '80's teams (hugely underrated player in my opinion)....I have been fortunate enough to have become friends with JoJo White....through him I got to meet and hang with Max, Sam Jones, and Tommy.....
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

Wow Duke, thats so cool hanging with Celtics..tell us some stories once in a while..

I miss those days in the old NFL (guess everything seemed better as a kid) with Ray Scott announcing with Whitaker & the rest... favorite all time othough is Curt Gowdy doing the AFL games with Al DeRogotis & Kyle Rote & Charlie Jones

Heres a typical Deacon remark... Ladies, please dont get offended, Im just the messenger...  a lady once gave birth to me, yah know

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm2l0pxYw-4

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

I'm with you Karl....seems like the old days were the best......imagine this scenario today....

Baseball....one game in black & white every Saturday afternoon.....that's it for your baseball fix...."The Game of the Week" with Dizzy Dean and his old partner Pee Wee Reese

Football coverage in Upstate NY......two games every Sunday (black & white)...we got the Giants and the Browns on our two channels (imagine only two channels...?)
    When they played each other the game was on both channels

Basketball.....very little coverage......started getting games with Chris Schenkel & Bob Cousy after Cous retired...

I learned about Duke Snider when I was 4 or 5...my older brother (9 years) introduced me to the Brooklyn Dodgers on tv....but back in the day there was virtually no media coverage...and I was too young to read the newspaper....it took me until 3rd grade (1958) until I could begin following sports....

I have a couple of Celtic stories....but I only got to hang with Max and Sam during one weekend...JoJo, on the other hand I saw all the time....his wife Debbie worked for me far a couple of years....met at each others houses a few times...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I moved to MA as a kid in the '80s.  So:

Football: Pats (but first game I ever watched was the Raiders vs. Eagles in the Superbowl, so I've always like the Eagles)

Baseball: Sox (learned the game an became insterested after watching the Sox lose to the Mets in the WS)

Hockey: Bruins (but have family in Ottawa so I like the Senators too). 

Basketball: Celtics

The "real" football: Hibernian (grew up in Edinburgh) and West Ham United (mom is from West Ham, moved to Boston as a girl)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

[QUOTE]NBA - Celtics since I found out Cousy and Heinsohn went to my Alma Mater - or before 1970 whicever came first...liked the Spurs in the 90's, when we were terrible, just to see Duncan (who should have been ours) Baseball - Sox always - or whatever team other than the Yankees were in the World Series.  Really like the George Brett Royals, except when they played us. Hockey - Bobby Orr still play?????? Football - Pats.........okay I liked the Staubach Cowboys but have hated them since Jimmy Johnson took over....followed the Raiders a bit because I went to high school with Howie Long!
    Posted by hedleylamarr[/QUOTE] Being a Redskin fan, Roger Staubach was by far the most feared player, that any of my favorite teams faced, he would always find some way to beat the Skins. I think he is one of the most under rated QB's of all time!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

Baseball- Red Sox '67
    Football- Patriots '68
    Basketball-Celtics'69
    Hockey- Bruins '69
    College football- BC

Being born and raised ni the great commonwealth of MA, stuck with the teams through thick and thin. Hurt to see the Celtics lose to the Lakers last year and even more in '86 when the Sox blew the WS to the Mets. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]
    Bsketball - I wanted to be Steve Kerr and you know MJ was in the equation Baseball - Honestly Sox, but my least favorite sport next to hockey.  (But I loved the bash brothers, and Kenn Jr. as well)
    Hockey - Bruins
    Football - Detriot as I loved Barry Sanders, but as soon as drew was drafted that chnaged fast. Always loved my New England teams, but when they were irrelevant, I had my "other" teams. 

But now the definition of a die hard Pats fan. 

Posted by Getzo[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from caesarthecat. Show caesarthecat's posts

nice question... i'm italian ! in soccer ("calcio" in italian) my team has always been "Torino" which is the 2nd team of Turin city ; then I played bball and in the 80s I was an adolescent and NBA was broadcasted in italy for the 1st time, guys of my generation in italy were and still are bird-or-magic... i was a bird and i still (my 33 celtics jersey bought by correspondence in 1984 is still ok, i can still wear it at 41 !
    so :
    calcio = torino, since ever and forever
    bball = celtics, as above

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

NBA-Celtics since 1980 despite growing up in Los Angeles

NFL-Los Angeles(STL) RAMS since 1979/80ish

NHL-dont watch

MLB-Dont care either way-Dont like Dodgers or Angeles

NCAAMB-Long Beach State(my alma mater) and any mid major going up against a BCS school.

I hate the PATS...SB in 02 makes me sick to my stomach

I hate the Fakers more than any team in sports...That hook shot by Magic still hurts watching it in 87.

I dont like USC/UCLA in any sports....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Karl....I loved Ray Scott......remember he never used alot of words to describe the action.....it was always something like "Dowler...............Touchdown!!

Al DeRogotis always called Charlie Sanders "Charley Saunders"....that drove me nuts!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

In Response to Favorite Teams... since a kid... be honest:
    [QUOTE]Hard to say it but since you can remember being a sports fan, what were your favorite teams in the 4 major sports and how have they changed?? Basketball... Celtics.. since the beginning Football... Oakland Raiders since the 60's ...but first couple years was the Packers Hockey... Rangers... but first 5 or so years was the Bruins Baseball... Mets... but first few years was Red Sox Cant explain how so many Boston teams caught my attention as a youngin...never lived in the area.  In order of importance to me...Id rank my 4 favorite teams from each sport in the following manner (taking into consideration the joy/stress over the years): First Place tie:  Celtics/Raiders Third Place: Mets Fourth Place: Rangers
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]

Basketball - Celtics every step of the way
    Baseball - Red Sox, then adopted Mariners as #2 when I came to Seattle
    Football - Bills, then adopted Seahawks in the same fashion as the Mariners
    Hockey - Sabres (condolences please!)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from walk2run. Show walk2run's posts

NBA - C's
    MLB - Red Sox
    NFL - Steelers
    NCAAB - UConn
    NCAAF - Oklahoma
    Soccer - who cares
    NHL - Bruin (casual fan)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from calvinator. Show calvinator's posts

NBA-Celtics
    NFL- Patriots
    MLB-Red Sox
    NHL-Bruins

Always rooted for all of the teams in the area I grew up in. Was disappointed in fair weather fans who lived in Mass and rooted for Dolphins,Cowboys, Vikings, and Redskins becaue the Pat's were horrible every year. I dislike the Cowboys more than anyone than Yanks and Lakers. Pretty obvious I a homer all of the way.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from truth-torpedo34. Show truth-torpedo34's posts

Celts since we drafted Paul
    Sox
    Pats
    Uconn bball

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbrann. Show mbrann's posts

Grew up in Baltimore so got to see great Orioles teams of the late 60's and early 70's. The field was just covered with great players...Brooks Robinson, Mark Belanger, Booooog Powell at 1B, Jim Palmer on the mound...it was a great introduction to sports. Then moved up to Boston in 1974 and adopted Red Sox and Celtics.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Ms Lithium.....sounds like you were an Upstate New York girl(?)........if so, you probably would've been too young to remember the Buffalo Braves before they moved....I'm from that area myself.....just moved to Maine last summer....were you a New York native at one point....?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

[QUOTE]Ms Lithium.....sounds like you were an Upstate New York girl(?)........if so, you probably would've been too young to remember the Buffalo Braves before they moved....I'm from that area myself.....just moved to Maine last summer....were you a New York native at one point....?
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

Duke, you are absolutely correct!  I grew up in Buffalo and my whole immediate family is still based there.  My dad's side of the family is from Massachusetts, so I inherited a bunch of Boston loyalties right away, even before I moved there for college.  He told me about the Braves... I was a baby when they were still here.  Wasn't there some game in '74 where Jo Jo White stole an inbounds pass from Bob McAdoo and won the series for the Celtics?  It's known here as one of the greatest games ever played in Buffalo even though the Braves were on the short end.  I read about it in '84 the day after the Celtics won the championship!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

well then sweetie, we were neighbors of sorts.....I was raised in Rochester....went to the old "Rock pile" in the early days to watch the Bills....also sat courtside at the Brave's games in the old "Aud".....great memories....the Celts/Braves rivalry was great....while it lasted!!!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Favorite Teams... since a kid... be honest : Duke, you are absolutely correct!  I grew up in Buffalo and my whole immediate family is still based there.  My dad's side of the family is from Massachusetts, so I inherited a bunch of Boston loyalties right away, even before I moved there for college.  He told me about the Braves... I was a baby when they were still here.  Wasn't there some game in '74 where Jo Jo White stole an inbounds pass from Bob McAdoo and won the series for the Celtics?  It's known here as one of the greatest games ever played in Buffalo even though the Braves were on the short end.  I read about it in '84 the day after the Celtics won the championship!
    Posted by MsLithium21[/QUOTE]

McAdoo was unreal on those Buffalo Braves teams... and Randy Smith in the backcourt... arguably the fastest player in NBA history.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]I'm with you Karl....seems like the old days were the best......imagine this scenario today.... Baseball....one game in black & white every Saturday afternoon.....that's it for your baseball fix...."The Game of the Week" with Dizzy Dean and his old partner Pee Wee Reese Football coverage in Upstate NY......two games every Sunday (black & white)...we got the Giants and the Browns on our two channels (imagine only two channels...?) When they played each other the game was on both channels Basketball.....very little coverage......started getting games with Chris Schenkel & Bob Cousy after Cous retired... I learned about Duke Snider when I was 4 or 5...my older brother (9 years) introduced me to the Brooklyn Dodgers on tv....but back in the day there was virtually no media coverage...and I was too young to read the newspaper....it took me until 3rd grade (1958) until I could begin following sports.... I have a couple of Celtic stories....but I only got to hang with Max and Sam during one weekend...JoJo, on the other hand I saw all the time....his wife Debbie worked for me far a couple of years....met at each others houses a few times...
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

Duke, in the NYC area we'd get double headers with the Giants on CBS and the Jets on NBA...  usually the 4 o'clock NBC game was the Raiders against the CHiefs or Chargers... since they always had good teams.  Man do I miss that.

Then we started to get blackouts.... so the Raider-Jet AFL title game (the year the Jets upset the Colts in SB#) was blacked out locally... if you can imagine...

One year my brother & his friend drive me to Philly, rented a motel room so we could see the Jets/Chiefs playoff game... all black & white too..

But even in black & white... weren't the Chiefs uniforms just the coolest?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In Response to Favorite Teams... since a kid... be honest:
    [QUOTE]Hard to say it but since you can remember being a sports fan, what were your favorite teams in the 4 major sports and how have they changed?? Basketball... Celtics.. since the beginning Football... Oakland Raiders since the 60's ...but first couple years was the Packers Hockey... Rangers... but first 5 or so years was the Bruins Baseball... Mets... but first few years was Red Sox Cant explain how so many Boston teams caught my attention as a youngin...never lived in the area.  In order of importance to me...Id rank my 4 favorite teams from each sport in the following manner (taking into consideration the joy/stress over the years): First Place tie:  Celtics/Raiders Third Place: Mets Fourth Place: Rangers
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]

I knew there was a reason I liked you, Karl!!

In order of importance:

1. BY FAR, my favorite team in the WORLD.......Celtics (fan since I could understand basketball - my Dad raised me on Bill Russell and i've loved them ever since).

2. I started out liking the Packers but eventually became a Raiders fan.  I loved the rebels and the "just win, baby!" approach.  Tough, tough, tough guys.

3. Grew up on San Fran Giants and Oakland As (spent some time as a kid in California), then eventually became a Yankee fan when Reggie went to the Yankees.  Kind of loved the Mets from the Gooden, Cone, Strawberry days.  I know, Boston fans will hate me for this but I never lived in Boston - I just love the C's.  So, as a Yankee fan, I have tremendous respect for the Sox, but I hate to see them win.   The Sox in the past 10 years are the ONLY franchise to challenge the Yankees so I respect them.

4. Hockey - no love for any teams.  not my sport.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Favorite Teams... since a kid... be honest : I knew there was a reason I liked you, Karl!! In order of importance: 1. BY FAR, my favorite team in the WORLD....... Celtics (fan since I could understand basketball - my Dad raised me on Bill Russell and i've loved them ever since). 2. I started out liking the Packers but eventually became a Raiders fan.  I loved the rebels and the "just win, baby!" approach.  Tough, tough, tough guys. 3. Grew up on San Fran Giants and Oakland As (spent some time as a kid in California), then eventually became a Yankee fan when Reggie went to the Yankees.  Kind of loved the Mets from the Gooden, Cone, Strawberry days.  I know, Boston fans will hate me for this but I never lived in Boston - I just love the C's.  So, as a Yankee fan, I have tremendous respect for the Sox, but I hate to see them win.   The Sox in the past 10 years are the ONLY franchise to challenge the Yankees so I respect them. 4. Hockey - no love for any teams.  not my sport.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

Oops, how can I forget.....BIG Georgetown Hoya basketball fan.  And as much as I like them, I HATE Duke.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Yes, those uni's were great....but even better were their predecessors' uni's.....the Dallas Texans of Abner Haynes and Curtis McClinton.....I remember the AFL Championship game in 1962....going into overtime Haynes was told to defend a certain side of the field if they won the toss (weather conditions)....they won the toss but he said..."we'll kick" and the Oilers not only got the kickoff but were able to defend the goal that Dallas wanted... in the end though, the Texans won the championship....I was stunned to hear that they were moving to KC the following year....then, in a pre season game, a young kid named Stone Johnson broke his neck during a kickoff return....Abner Haynes was his friend and it literally broke his spirit...he was never the same and retired a few years later...I loved that team....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Favorite Teams... since a kid... be honest : Oops, how can I forget.....BIG Georgetown Hoya basketball fan.  And as much as I like them, I HATE Duke.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

You had me smiling ear to ear until you mentioned the Hoyas... lol

In the previous era, when the Big East was a power before recently... I was bigtime St Johns fan.. Louie Carneseca, Chris Mullen, Wennington, Berry etc.. Man did I hate Gtown & John Thompson...

Hate to bring this up (not really) but that was some finals vs Villanova...  We all know when, on that rare occassion, a pitcher pitches a perfect game... well, Villanova may have played the perfect game against the Hoyas that night... and they needed to in order to beat that team..

ps/ Celtics & Raiders... now thats class...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

[QUOTE]Karl....I loved Ray Scott......remember he never used alot of words to describe the action.....it was always something like "Dowler...............Touchdown!! Al DeRogotis always called Charlie Sanders "Charley Saunders"....that drove me nuts!!
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]
    I don't know how old you are but do you remember Super Bowl 2 and Ray Scott's famous call??  "Intecepted..............Herb Adderly................touchdown"

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

I left new england after college and have lived in 4 states since then and now on the west coast for 20 years.

Basketball: Celtics
    Baseball: Red Sox
    Football: Patriots
    Hockey: Bruins

My favorite Celtic team of all time is - Russell, KC, Sam, Satch and

My favorite professional team of all team in any sport of all time is the 1970 NY Knicks with: Willis, Frazier, Bradley, Cazzie Russell, Debusshere, Stallworth... 

Sections
Shortcuts