For chrissakes Danny, just give HOU a 2014 pick!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MitchUnderpants. Show MitchUnderpants's posts

Re: For chrissakes Danny, just give HOU a 2014 pick!

In response to fl+adam,'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to MitchUnderpants' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Petey-  Why?  Please explain.  Why are the 2014 picks more valuable to us than 2015?  If we fail to get Asik, I won’t complain..afterall he is a 56% free throw shooter.  I just want to know what your expectations are for the upcoming draft, heading into it with two crappy picks.  TWO CRAPPY PICKS NEVER EQUATE TO A LOTTERY PICK.  No one’s going to turn around and trade a player like Embiid or Smart for our 16th and 18th (at best) picks. 

[/QUOTE]

It is not quite this simple, but if Offered you a $100 bill and told you you could have it now or next week which would you choose.  Also, 2014 draft is deemed to be the best in years. It is also a matter of predictability.  They have a better idea of how good the pick will be this year then the following year.  Teams get better given enough time usually. Basketball is different than football, but in football a future pick is "worth" generall 1 round less than a pick this year.  The difference is not as extreme in basketball, but you get the idea.

[/QUOTE]

$100 now or next week, eh?  DA wants a crappy player this year instead of next year?  Yeah ok.

To me, Asik is like an old refrigerator.  You just bought a new one, and it's time to put Asik outside on the curb.  Anytime someone offers you money for something that you MUST put outside on the curb- then whatever the amount is, you should feel satisfied that you at least got something.  Of course, in this case, Asik happens to be a nice fridge, and it will be a shame if HOU doesn't get at least 50-cents-on-the-dollar in return.

I understand that the Celtics are in control here.  But NJ and ATL are both going to the playoffs this season.  And the Clips are going to the playoffs next season.  It doesn't make sense to haggle over this pick.  Obviously, each pick is just an asset (which won't help us land a top 10 draft pick, but an asset nonetheless).

I think DA is overvaluing his 2014 picks and if there were ever a right moment to trade one of them, now is the time.

But back to my refridgerator analogy, DA may be banking on the fact that HOU is bluffing and looking forward to making the deal tomorrow.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

[QUOTE]

Petey-  Why?  Please explain.  Why are the 2014 picks more valuable to us than 2015?  If we fail to get Asik, I won’t complain..afterall he is a 56% free throw shooter.  I just want to know what your expectations are for the upcoming draft, heading into it with two crappy picks.  TWO CRAPPY PICKS NEVER EQUATE TO A LOTTERY PICK.  No one’s going to turn around and trade a player like Embiid or Smart for our 16th and 18th (at best) picks. 

[/QUOTE]

fl+adam did a pretty good job explaining it.  But I'll go even further.  First off, I think this team is going to level off and eventually play the way we initially predicted.  This is really not that good of a basketball team.  It just appears that way because our conference is so horrible so far.

There is a high likelihood that teams like Chicago, Brooklyn, New York and maybe even Cleveland will turn their seasons around which would push the Celtics out of the playoffs and into "Lottery-ville" as expected.  So, those 2014 picks, especially since the draft is so deep, are much more valuable than the Clippers 2015 pick.

I also believe we lose quality depth by adding Asik and losing Lee and Bass (and eventually Hump).  We'll play many more games with Pressey and Marshon  Brooks and Oly and Fav.  That's when you'll see the Celtics level off considerably.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to Petey62's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

fl+adam did a pretty good job explaining it.  But I'll go even further.  First off, I think this team is going to level off and eventually play the way we initially predicted.  This is really not that good of a basketball team.  It just appears that way because our conference is so horrible so far.

There is a high likelihood that teams like Chicago, Brooklyn, New York and maybe even Cleveland will turn their seasons around which would push the Celtics out of the playoffs and into "Lottery-ville" as expected.  So, those 2014 picks, especially since the draft is so deep, are much more valuable than the Clippers 2015 pick.

I also believe we lose quality depth by adding Asik and losing Lee and Bass (and eventually Hump).  We'll play many more games with Pressey and Marshon  Brooks and Oly and Fav.  That's when you'll see the Celtics level off considerably.

[/QUOTE]

You don't lose any depth by losing Bass.  Sully is getting almost all his minutes at center. If asik comes then Sully moves to pf. Asik essentially gets the minutes that bass has been getting and when Rondo comes back Crawford takes the minutes lee has been getting. Take this team now, subtract Bass and Lee, add Rondo and Asik.

NO depth problem at all.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from romneywins. Show romneywins's posts

thank goodness

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MitchUnderpants. Show MitchUnderpants's posts

Petey-  FL + Adam explained that the 2014 picks are equal to the 2015 pick.  He used one hundred dollars to describe them.  He said use it now or later, right?  Now meaning June 2014 and later meaning June 2015.  DA has an opportunity to spend the money tomorrow morning.

I admit I wasn't very excited when the Celtics got brought up in the Asik trade talks.  But when I found out that we could use this trade to get rid of Bass and Lee?  That's the greatest part of the deal.  Lee has been a total disappointment.  Bass brings nothing to the table.  The only reason why either of them continues to receive playing time is in hopes of a trade.

Petey-  I agree with you.  This deal will definately happen by tomorrow.  Because Ainge wants to part ways with Bass/Lee as much a Morey wants to say adios to Asik.  And I bet that if Morey remains firm on the draft pick, Ainge will bend and tomorrow you will see BASS + LEE + 2014 BKN/ATL pick for Asik.  I guarararrarrntee it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

37Stories, you make some very valid points.  However, I don't believe Crawford will simply roll into the back up role and be as effective as he's been starting at the point.  I honestly believe that is when we'll see the inconsistent Crawford because he'll be getting limited minutes once Rondo returns.  Also, that is IF Rondo returns to his all-star level form.  We really won't have any quality perimeter defenders if Lee is traded.  Outside of Rondo and AB, we would have no backups capable or providing what Lee provides.

As for Sully, I am not so sure he can defend PFs.  Seems too many of them are more physical, more athletic or taller than him.  Guys like Henson (MIL), Bargnani (NY) and Johnson (TOR) are too long.  Guys like West (IND) and Boozer (CHI) are too physical and Milsap (ATL), Monroe (DET) and Young (PHI) are much too athletic.  Sully has not had to guard guys like that this season.  That will take alot out of him on the offensive end.

That's why I think our depth will be negatively effected.  I am just not ready to ride with Oly and Fav getting significant minutes.

I just don't think obtaining Asik will make us better right now so it's important that we keep our 2014 picks... 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to fl+adam,'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Mitch, it's like Eldunker stated earlier. This 2014 draft is the richest and deepest it's been since the turn of the century. Noone, and I mean NOONE is trading this years picks for anything less then a sure thing, if that. One report I read put it like this, take last years draft for example, top lottery picks like Noel (6th), Oladipo (2nd), and McLemore (7th) types that went early, teams will be able to find those types around picks 12-16 in this years draft. It's that deep. So these picks we could have in the mid teens, are like lottery picks in other drafts. That's what the word on the street is. No such thing as "crappy picks" in this years draft if you're picking 20th on down. Every year about 2 to 3 teams tank for a high draft pick. Because of this years draft, Sacramento, Utah, Boston, Phili, Milwaukee, Orlando, Cleveland, and Toronto have all been accused of tanking, at least to some degree. Along with some teams that have suffered injuries like Chicago might be debating it.

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned is that the value of lottery picks since the new CBA was instilled, has increased tremendously. Since the new CBA kicked in, teams are really valuing their draft picks more cause it's cheaper to build through the draft then to pay for high priced FA's. The days of the super teams have reached their end. Sure, you can have a team full of stars like N.J. and Miami, but after like the 3rd or 4th year, they get nailed with a HUGE tax. It was put in place to discourage big market teams from hording all the top level talent. So draft picks have a higher value put on them now.... Something to that degree...

Hope this shed some light on it for yah. Asik is not worth 1 of our picks in this 2014 draft. It's ridiculous that they are even asking for one. Morey..... go fish.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Houston still needs to make this trade today as they know that they are very, very unlikely to get Asik to become happy again (and contribute) in Houston if they have not yet been able to make him happy yet.  20+ games into the season and they could not  play him with Howard, and now are not even dressing him for games due to his mental state.  He is, in effect, a wasted roster spot for them.

Since Houston has to make the deal much more than the Celtics, let them come to their senses and either accept the Celtics trade proposal or let them keep Asik in his current, expensive roster eating spot.

I am not sure that I would even give them one of the Celtics first round picks unless the Rockets add in some young guy that they may have who could possibly help the Celtics build for the future.  I do not know their roster well enough to suggest who such a player would be, but you know that they do not want to have Asik at practice or a game tomorrow.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MitchUnderpants. Show MitchUnderpants's posts

I agree with Charlie-  Houston has passed the point of no return.  They MUST deal Asik today.  Asik fired his agent and hired a new one, just because he was sick and tired of waiting to be dealt.  Everyone and their grandmother realizes that Morey is bluffing and the trade will happen at some point today.

Petey62-  Courtney Lee plays 16 mins a game.  And you're worried about parting with his defense?  Please note that I'm ignoring all future posts from Petey62.  Saying you're concerned about whether or not Sully can be physical enough is like saying you're worried about Nate Robinson being able to jump high enough.

Dr. Boogiebone-  Like everyone else here, I'm monitoring the mock drafts and college player rankings.  And from what I've seen and read, the fireworks end right around the 15th around.  After round 15, the projected studs will be taken and Boston should still have two picks left.  If I'm wrong, I'd love to hear why?  Who are the players that are going to get drafted after round 15 that are so special?  Names please?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Do it for Chris if for no other reason

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

[QUOTE]

I agree with Charlie-  Houston has passed the point of no return.  They MUST deal Asik today.  Asik fired his agent and hired a new one, just because he was sick and tired of waiting to be dealt.  Everyone and their grandmother realizes that Morey is bluffing and the trade will happen at some point today.

Petey62-  Courtney Lee plays 16 mins a game.  And you're worried about parting with his defense?  Please note that I'm ignoring all future posts from Petey62.  Saying you're concerned about whether or not Sully can be physical enough is like saying you're worried about Nate Robinson being able to jump high enough.

Dr. Boogiebone-  Like everyone else here, I'm monitoring the mock drafts and college player rankings.  And from what I've seen and read, the fireworks end right around the 15th around.  After round 15, the projected studs will be taken and Boston should still have two picks left.  If I'm wrong, I'd love to hear why?  Who are the players that are going to get drafted after round 15 that are so special?  Names please?

[/QUOTE]

Well, since you said "please". It's funny, Isaiah Austin was mocked up as high as 11-18 last year before he withdrew his name. Now he's mocked up as 44th on 1 mock draft. Long 7 ft shot blocker who can also stretch the floor on offense. Willie Cauley-Stein another 7 ft shot blocker. Some have Dario Saric going in the late teens. Great passer, athletic with high BB IQ. Adreian Payne, good strong PF. And the Harrison Twins, Aaron and Andrew. One is better then the other (can't remember which). Rodney Hood, James Young, Wayne Selden, Alex Poythress is pretty good too, before Julius Randle got all the touches....

It's still hard to tell cause these mock drafts are all over the place at this stage. But this draft is more then 15 deep. Just because you may not know their names yet... March Madness will help determine alot. Besides, don't let our current standing fool you. We'll land somewhere in the 10-14 range with our pick. Unless Rondo really gives this team a huge boost.

REF: http://www.nbadraft.net/2014mock_draft

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Wayne-Selden-6473/

http://www.hoopsworld.com/full-2014-nba-mock-draft-12113

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/draft/mock-draft

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MitchUnderpants. Show MitchUnderpants's posts

In response to DrBoogiebone's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well, since you said "please". It's funny, Isaiah Austin was mocked up as high as 11-18 last year before he withdrew his name. Now he's mocked up as 44th on 1 mock draft. Long 7 ft shot blocker who can also stretch the floor on offense. Willie Cauley-Stein another 7 ft shot blocker. Some have Dario Saric going in the late teens. Great passer, athletic with high BB IQ. Adreian Payne, good strong PF. And the Harrison Twins, Aaron and Andrew. One is better then the other (can't remember which). Rodney Hood, James Young, Wayne Selden, Alex Poythress is pretty good too, before Julius Randle got all the touches....

It's still hard to tell cause these mock drafts are all over the place at this stage. But this draft is more then 15 deep. Just because you may not know their names yet... March Madness will help determine alot. Besides, don't let our current standing fool you. We'll land somewhere in the 10-14 range with our pick. Unless Rondo really gives this team a huge boost.

[/QUOTE]

Rounds 10-14 ain't happening.  If they were, then I'd agree that it's worth keeping, and agree that it's more valuable then our 2015 pick.

Asik was the backbone of the Bulls defense when it used to be airtight.  Foul shooting aside, Asik took an average team and made it a contender.

Hood and Young are studs, they won't be available to us.  The other names you listed are not worth getting excited about.  You really think fans will say, thank gawd Danny didn't trade those 2014 picks-- Now we have Dario Saric and Willey Cauley-Stein?  YAY, Go Red Claws! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Rounds 10-14 ain't happening.  If they were, then I'd agree that it's worth keeping, and agree that it's more valuable then our 2015 pick.

Asik was the backbone of the Bulls defense when it used to be airtight.  Foul shooting aside, Asik took an average team and made it a contender.

Hood and Young are studs, they won't be available to us.  The other names you listed are not worth getting excited about.  You really think fans will say, thank gawd Danny didn't trade those 2014 picks-- Now we have Dario Saric and Willey Cauley-Stein?  YAY, Go Red Claws! 

[/QUOTE]

Asik has value, but you are WAY over-hyping him.  He is a mediocre Center.  Thats it. He wasn't the "backbone" of the Chicago defense.  He didn't even start for Chicago!!  When it came time for the Bulls to make some roster/salary decisions they traded Asik instead of Gibson, so that should tell you something.

You, me and nobody knows where the Celtics 2014 picks will land.  The Celtics, Brooklyn AND Atlanta could all easily collapse into the worst 10 teams in the league.  And even if they don't, I disagree with your perspective on the draft depth. I think there are quality players up to early 20s.   

You don't think that there will be any quality players after pick 14 in one of the best drafts in decades, but you seem to ignore that Asik was drafted 35th!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MitchUnderpants. Show MitchUnderpants's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Asik has value, but you are WAY over-hyping him.  He is a mediocre Center.  Thats it. He wasn't the "backbone" of the Chicago defense.  He didn't even start for Chicago!!  When it came time for the Bulls to make some roster/salary decisions they traded Asik instead of Gibson, so that should tell you something.

You, me and nobody knows where the Celtics 2014 picks will land.  The Celtics, Brooklyn AND Atlanta could all easily collapse into the worst 10 teams in the league.  And even if they don't, I disagree with your perspective on the draft depth. I think there are quality players up to early 20s.   

You don't think that there will be any quality players after pick 14 in one of the best drafts in decades, but you seem to ignore that Asik was drafted 35th!!

[/QUOTE]

Kids-  "Best draft in decades"??  If anything, Wiggins may go down as the most over-hyped player in decades.  And insisting that there will be these above-average players in the later rounds of the draft is ludicrouos until you back it up with names and where they're projected to go.

I say we should use any opportunity we can to get rid of Bass and Lee, even if it means costing us the next Fab Melo.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Kids-  "Best draft in decades"??  If anything, Wiggins may go down as the most over-hyped player in decades.  And insisting that there will be these above-average players in the later rounds of the draft is ludicrouos until you back it up with names and where they're projected to go.

I say we should use any opportunity we can to get rid of Bass and Lee, even if it means costing us the next Fab Melo.

[/QUOTE]

At this point you're being underminding and disrespectful. Why? Cause noone agrees with your assessment/price of Asik? You aked for names, I threw some out for you. There's more then just those guys. I'ld have to agree with Eldunker on this one. You and I with just have to agree to disagree. And for arguements sake, there's no garrentee that any Draftee will become a star/solid player in the NBA. Just as there's no garrentee Asik won't cripple this team. We're ranked 6th in the league at points allowed. There's absolutely no need to overpay for a good defender/rebounder at this time. We have more pressing needs. Bass and Lee have both been solid contributors this season. Bass and Lee play both ends of the court, and isn't one-dimensional like Asik either. Give them up for possibly 1 season of Asik? Maybe. Sure why not? Oh, we want your 1st round pick in the best draft in a decade or more. Click..............

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You are the one who needs to back up your claim that their won't be value later in the draft, since you asset that opinion... contrary to all basketball analysts who do this for a living.

And your need to "get rid of Bass and Lee" is just sophmoric.  Both are quality players, valuable contributors and could be an asset for any team including the Celtics.  They are however worth trading for a starting center.

Dude, not only do you make emphatic statements about future unknowns, but you have very linited basketball knowledge.  

Sections
Shortcuts