Forget Perk, we miss Tony more!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from henryfinkel. Show henryfinkel's posts

Forget Perk, we miss Tony more!

With D-Wade, Bron, Rose, Kobe, Durant et al on the playoff menu, I have to honestly say we could sure use the defensive talents of Tony Allen. We have no one and I mean NO ONE off the bench who can guard the elite perimeter players. Green has proven to be a complete joke & Delonte is not big/strong enough. Sasha might surpise some people if given the chance, but we all know that will not happen with Doc. That means both Paul and Ray have to play extended minutes and expend a tremendous amount of energy on the defensive end. I'm sure Danny is kicking himself for letting another defensive stopper leave town (see James Posey). Penny-wise, pound-foolish.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticreuven. Show celticreuven's posts

Re: Forget Perk, we miss Tony more!

Couldn't agree more.  What was it that he wanted before he walked?

I also remember the days ( it was before KG and Ray were here and the more important offensive pieces were injured i.e. Paul and Big Al) that Allen was our leading offensive threat.  He was scoring consistently in the 20s.   He looked great when given the helm for those couple weeks.  Of course, I am not saying he is an offensive superstar, but he definitely had talent.  His two knee injuries, I believe, hindered his offensive growth at least to some degree.

BUt yes he has always been a great defensive stopper, and Ainge let this guy walked.  Such an important cog for a deep playoff run.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mac1980. Show mac1980's posts

that's a good point finkel...one of the major areas Green was supposedly going to help was with 'D'ing up those perimeter guys...his 'D' in game 1 was horrendous...just watching TA in Memphis, he still makes the occassional bonehead play but he's tough, he's got some championship swagger, and he gets in guys' jock straps---we could totally use that...but we don't have it, so we've gotta hope Green removes his head from his rectum and starts playing...honeymoon's over buddy, we're playing the Heat, could you wake up please?!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from terrrapin. Show terrrapin's posts

In Response to Re: Forget Perk, we miss Tony more!:
    that's a good point finkel...one of the major areas Green was supposedly going to help was with 'D'ing up those perimeter guys...his 'D' in game 1 was horrendous...just watching TA in Memphis, he still makes the occassional bonehead play but he's tough, he's got some championship swagger, and he gets in guys' jock straps---we could totally use that...but we don't have it, so we've gotta hope Green removes his head from his rectum and starts playing...honeymoon's over buddy, we're playing the Heat, could you wake up please?!
    Posted by mac1980

Yep......Perk, Rondo and Tony Allen. That team always provoked fear in our opponents offensively. Funny you guys always have a field day with Jeff Green. How about some time to get the scheme down. By the way........who was watching Dwayne Wade? If you are going to take shots at Green, let's put blame where it should be also. Just keeping it real......

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Couldn't agree more.  What was it that he wanted before he walked? I also remember the days ( it was before KG and Ray were here and the more important offensive pieces were injured i.e. Paul and Big Al) that Allen was our leading offensive threat.  He was scoring consistently in the 20s.   He looked great when given the helm for those couple weeks.  Of course, I am not saying he is an offensive superstar, but he definitely had talent.  His two knee injuries, I believe, hindered his offensive growth at least to some degree. BUt yes he has always been a great defensive stopper, and Ainge let this guy walked.  Such an important cog for a deep playoff run.
    Posted by celticreuven

Very good post and I agree with you about Tony Allen.   I really miss him and believe he would be a great help  if he was still with the Celtics.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Couldn't agree more.  What was it that he wanted before he walked? I also remember the days ( it was before KG and Ray were here and the more important offensive pieces were injured i.e. Paul and Big Al) that Allen was our leading offensive threat.  He was scoring consistently in the 20s.   He looked great when given the helm for those couple weeks.  Of course, I am not saying he is an offensive superstar, but he definitely had talent.  His two knee injuries, I believe, hindered his offensive growth at least to some degree. BUt yes he has always been a great defensive stopper, and Ainge let this guy walked.  Such an important cog for a deep playoff run.
    Posted by celticreuven

What year was TA consistently scoring in the 20's?

I recall just before the Big 3 got together TA was getting alot of minutes but not  putting up those type numbers that I can recall. 

Agree about the part that we could use TAs defense, hes really a beast defensively...  and adds that grit & fire to the team, defensively that is.

I think DA didnt want to give him an extra year on his contract but Im not sure... maybe mixing that up with Posey...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: Forget Perk, we miss Tony more! : What year was TA consistently scoring in the 20's? I recall just before the Big 3 got together TA was getting alot of minutes but not  putting up those type numbers that I can recall.  Agree about the part that we could use TAs defense, hes really a beast defensively...  and adds that grit & fire to the team, defensively that is. I think DA didnt want to give him an extra year on his contract but Im not sure... maybe mixing that up with Posey...
    Posted by Karllost

I think it was the year Pierce hurt his knee prior to bringing the big 3 together.  He had a stretch of a few weeks where he put up very good numbers, I think it may have been during that season with the 18 game losing streak.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from calvinator. Show calvinator's posts

Tony Allen could pretty much get to the rim whenever he wanted. The big question was always would he finish, miss, or turn the ball over when he got there.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JREwing. Show JREwing's posts

In Response to Forget Perk, we miss Tony more!:
    With D-Wade, Bron, Rose, Kobe, Durant et al on the playoff menu, I have to honestly say we could sure use the defensive talents of Tony Allen. We have no one and I mean NO ONE off the bench who can guard the elite perimeter players. Green has proven to be a complete joke & Delonte is not big/strong enough. Sasha might surpise some people if given the chance, but we all know that will not happen with Doc. That means both Paul and Ray have to play extended minutes and expend a tremendous amount of energy on the defensive end. I'm sure Danny is kicking himself for letting another defensive stopper leave town (see James Posey). Penny-wise, pound-foolish.
    Posted by henryfinkel
    I couldn't agree more. I don't know who's cheaper, Danny or Wyc-They should never have let Posey get away

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DutchCookie12. Show DutchCookie12's posts

We miss Wafer too.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

I miss neither Perk nor Allen.  What year did TA average 20 ppg? His best stat year (11.5) was '06-'07 and he only played in 33 games.  Last year he averaged a lusty 6.1 ppg. His points to turnover ratio (ave. 2.27 in his "best" offensive year) was what he will always be remembered for in addition to injuring his knee in a meaningless dunk after a play was blown dead; not the smartest guy, and a nightmare when he tried to dribble.  What would I miss?  Jumping into Billups at the end of a critical playoff game? His lock-down D earned him three DNP-CDs to start the 2008 Finals and played just 19:02 total over the final three games of the series.  He "held" Kobe to 28.7 ppg in 2010.  Memory is a funny thing, it's highly selective and can delude one into believing that almost anything actually happened.  So really, TA a "big offensive threat"?  And so was Perkins.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Tony Allen could pretty much get to the rim whenever he wanted. The big question was always would he finish, miss, or turn the ball over when he got there.
    Posted by calvinator

lol true story

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"What was it that he wanted before he walked?"

A starting job, more playing time, everything we couldn't give him. 

Perk and Tony Allen are different cases. Tony walked as a free agent, Perk was stupidly traded midseason.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Perk is not as missed as Tony Allen on this team. Consider last year's run in the playoffs Tony was a major contributor.  Tony could have been kept here I believe. Of course who knows what really went down we can only speculate.  TA was a weapon this team could really use right now.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cshashaty. Show cshashaty's posts

I'm happy that Trick or Treat is doing well in Memphis, and equally happy he is no longer a Celtic.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Perk is not as missed as Tony Allen on this team. Consider last year's run in the playoffs Tony was a major contributor.  Tony could have been kept here I believe. Of course who knows what really went down we can only speculate.  TA was a weapon this team could really use right now.
    Posted by concord27

Agree that Tony was huge for the Celtics during last year's playoffs.  I am not sure that we currently have a bench player who is the same type of defensive player that Tony was last year.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rman0909. Show rman0909's posts

So ....does anyone else miss Perk (6'10"), or did Danny do the right job getting Green (6'9") and Krstic (7'0")???...after  all the C's are still the tallest team in the NBA with five 7 footers.

Anyone??

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mac1980. Show mac1980's posts

In Response to Re: Forget Perk, we miss Tony more! : Yep......Perk, Rondo and Tony Allen. That team always provoked fear in our opponents offensively. Funny you guys always have a field day with Jeff Green. How about some time to get the scheme down. By the way........who was watching Dwayne Wade? If you are going to take shots at Green, let's put blame where it should be also. Just keeping it real......
    Posted by terrrapin

You know what tho?  Wade just simply went off...he can do that...he's the one that won a championship by playing absolutely out of his mind for 4 straight games.  There was a point in the 3rd qtr when he made a long jumper just inside the 3 point line with a guy literally right in his face and I said to myself, "Welp if he's gonna make that there just ain't nuthin you can do today."  Green gets the harsh criticism because he just gets lost out there on D.  I mean Jones was so ridiculously wide open on those 2nd qtr threes because Green helped when he should've stayed at home.  The Celtics usually have a strategy that allows a star to go off as long as the other guys are totally contained.  Jones is one of those guys you've gotta totally contain.  He scored 25 points.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

True dat!  TA is playing incredibly...I'm big TA fan but an even bigger thunder fan so I'm doubly snakebit.  Wish that guy was still in green.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from henryfinkel. Show henryfinkel's posts

Today's game proves my point. PP & Ray were struggling mightily trying to keep up with Bron & D-Wade, which also had an impact on their offense. We needed someone who could have provided some lock-down defense. I'm looking up and down that bench, but I just don't see anyone who fits that description. For all his faults (and there are many), TA provided that presence.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from KGLove. Show KGLove's posts

I miss Scal more...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from henryfinkel. Show henryfinkel's posts

To paraphrase Rick "I'm not cut out for the NBA" Pitino---I don't see KC Jones, Satch Sanders, DJ or Posey walk through that door (but boy would I love to have any of them at this point).  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from henryfinkel. Show henryfinkel's posts

forgot to add Don Chaney (a defensive stalwart during the 70's)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

To paraphrase Rick "I'm not cut out for the NBA" Pitino---I don't see KC Jones, Satch Sanders, DJ or Posey walk through that door (but boy would I love to have any of them at this point).  
    Posted by henryfinkel

Just thinking of Pitino gives me nightmares.  But I definitely agree with you about past Celtics players.  Any of them would be a great help to this team. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from henryfinkel. Show henryfinkel's posts

It's so cliche, but true---DEFENSE wins championships (which is sorely lacking with this team)

Sections
Shortcuts