FOSBERG'S facts prove the RONDO is elite+could get better...MVP perhaps?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CommyContrarianOnTwitter. Show CommyContrarianOnTwitter's posts

FOSBERG'S facts prove the RONDO is elite+could get better...MVP perhaps?

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4711859/rondo-forcing-defenses-to-change-ways

Rondo is well on his way to being ELITE! teams used to play him under to avoid him driving and to challenge his lack of a jumper. now he's in ELITE status shooting the ball (despite his recent cold 3 ball).. he's bringing it at almost 50% (ray territory) when teams go under. interestingly, before his injury when they came over, he was nailing it at a ridiculous 61%, now as he recovers from major surgery, he is slow to get his explosion back off the dribble (which is the norm the first year)and is only bringing it at a mediocre 30%. as kelly gets better and viktor returns with some pick favors, i can easily see the rondo being the BEST pg in this here Association next year. talking MVP stuff.

Danny has to bring him back and see how it goes for at least the mid-point of the year. y would an elite guy or 2 not want to play with this guy. he's only going to get BETTER as he recovers next year. took a lot of pride and humility for him to focus on his shot as he did. now his FT shooting is enhanced and no doubt will be in the 37% 3 point range next year with more upside to come. can see celties bringing back Perk just for his pick toughness and intelligence (very underrated part of his game, ask OKC).

danny must read all this stuff, how can he truly b disappointed in RR.. his defense too will be better next year, as health match up with tenacity!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Re: FOSBERG'S facts prove the RONDO is elite+could get better...MVP perhaps?

Smoke much chronic, perhaps?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Rondo MVP-like season ahead????

Well, he's in great Celtic company now.

The last time a Celtic player was bandied about as being on the verge of an MVP-like season?

As  I recall.... Antoine in 2002-3.

A year later, AWful (and his slow, slow shimmy shake) had purchased a one way bus ticket to  Dallas, TX.

Anyone hoping lightning doesn't strike twice?

Pud

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

actually, that was a two way ticket, puddinpuddin. bandied, don't cha know.

how's that rondo fatigue coming along?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomobo. Show tomobo's posts

In response to BaileyPowe's comment:
    [QUOTE]

actually, that was a two way ticket, puddinpuddin. bandied, don't cha know.

how's that rondo fatigue coming along?

[/QUOTE]

How's that rr bliss coming along?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

better all the time, tomobo. it's the purest joy!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to puddinpuddin's comment:

The last time a Celtic player was bandied about as being on the verge of an MVP-like season?

A year later, AWful (and his slow, slow shimmy shake) had purchased a one way bus ticket to  Dallas, TX.

Pud

KG - 3rd in MVP voting in 2008

Pierce - 7th in MVP voting in 2009, top 15 in '01, '02, '03, '08 

Antoine - 12th in MVP voting in 1998, never finished in the top 15 again

I didn't remember 'Toine being an MVP candidate in either '02 or '03 when the C's were playoff teams with him and Pierce co-captains. The facts backed that up.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Pud

[/QUOTE]

I didn't remember 'Toine being an MVP candidate in either '02 or '03 when the C's were playoff teams with him and Pierce co-captains. The facts backed that up.

[/QUOTE]

No... I didn't suggest that he was ever a serious MVP candidate in 2002-3.

I was talking about preseason media hype... something a hyperventilating Fosberg might know something about.

Pud

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Pud

[/QUOTE]

I was talking about preseason media hype... something a hyperventilating Fosberg might know something about.

Pud

[/QUOTE]

You suggested a lot of people in the media said he might be. Which obviously was not true.

But don't worry. No one here thinks you have any idea what you are talking about.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]

Pud

[/QUOTE]

Oh ok, I can understand what you are getting at a little clearer now.

So you meant that the last time a Celtic with no chance at winning an MVP was being discussed as a possible candidate to do so  (by the Boston media and pink hat fans) was Antoine before 2002-03?

Strange that I don't remember any 'Toine for MVP talk' back then.

I remember him being vilified for coming out of the '99 lockout overweight. His best season was 1998 when averaged 20.4p/10.2r and only attempted 3.6 three pointers a game. By 2002 he was an all-star again for the first time since that '98 season and only averaged 0.3 less points per game, but was jacking EIGHT 3's a game at the expense of 1.4 rebounds and nobody I knew of was promoting him as an '03 MVP candidate.

Pierce, off a 26p/7r/3a/2s 44/40/81%'s tour de force at age 24 was the player people were saying could have an MVP season in him. Unfortunately, Tracy McGrady stole his All-NBA 1st and 2nd team awards in '02 and '03 with rediculous 32/28ppg seasons, despite Pierce being the obviously better player over his career. Peja and Artest as the 2nd and 3rd team All-NBA SF's in '03 was a joke as Pierce was better than both of them.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

[QUOTE]

Pud

So you meant that the last time a Celtic with no chance at winning an MVP was being discussed as a possible candidate to do so  (by the Boston media and pink hat fans) was Antoine before 2002-03?

I remember him being vilified for coming out of the '99 lockout overweight. His best season was 1998 when averaged 20.4p/10.2r and only attempted 3.6 three pointers a game. By 2002 he was an all-star again for the first time since that '98 season and only averaged 0.3 less points per game, but was jacking EIGHT 3's a game at the expense of 1.4 rebounds and nobody I knew of was promoting him as an '03 MVP candidate.

Pierce, off a 26p/7r/3a/2s 44/40/81%'s tour de force at age 24 was the player people were saying could have an MVP season in him. Unfortunately, Tracy McGrady stole his All-NBA 1st and 2nd team awards in '02 and '03 with rediculous 32/28ppg seasons, despite Pierce being the obviously better player over his career. Peja and Artest as the 2nd and 3rd team All-NBA SF's in '03 was a joke as Pierce was better than both of them.

[/QUOTE]

There wasn't any.  He was shooting 38 percent as a power forward and pulling down 8 boards a game back then.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Rondo will never win an MVP in a league where he shares his prime years with LeBron and Durant.

But I could see him putting up #'s close to what earned Derrick Rose an MVP in 2011.

Rose's shooting %'s that year: 45% FG, 33% 3FG% 86% FT (career 81.5% FT)

Rondo can easily have a 47/34/77 line sometime in the future, or something like that.

Rose scored 25ppg, which RR will not do b/c he does not take 20 shots a game. But if he takes 15 shots, 1-3 on 3's and 6-12 on 2's and goes 3-4 from the line roughly every game he will average 18ppg.

Rose added 7.7 dimes, 4.1 rebounds and 1 steal in his MVP year while turning the ball over 3.4 times. Rondo can easily toss a 10/5/2 to his 18ppg season, turn the ball over less than 3 times and make up for those 7 less points that way. He hasn't averaged under 8 assists since his 2nd season, 6 years ago.

So while I don't think Rondo will ever win an MVP award, I think he can have 2-3 seasons in the next 4-5 years (the rest of his prime) where his impact on the court is equal to that of Derrick Rose's during his MVP season.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Pud

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Not exactly. Dunno that AWful had a chance or not.... but he was certainly being pumped up as a likely candidate by management.

I thought I recalled Pitino leading the charge but it must have been O'Brien in 2002-3 with his other-worldly assessments of AW.

Looking back, CPP and KG were much, much better MVP candidates.

Pud

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Pud

[/QUOTE]
    Not exactly. Dunno that AWful had a chance or not.... but he was certainly being pumped up as a likely candidate by management.

I thought I recalled Pitino leading the charge but it must have been O'Brien in 2002-3 with his other-worldly assessments of AW.

Pud

[/QUOTE]

You said it was the media a couple of minutes ago.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]

Pud

[/QUOTE]

Antoine was never legit discussed as an MVP candidate. If OB made some 'He's the MVP of this team' comments, perhaps that is what you are remembering.

Bill Simmons mentioned in a recent article on tanking that one negative side affect was rookies being allowed to do 'whatever they want' like Michael Carter-Williams on this years 76ers and Antoine on the '97 ML Carr led Celtics. He believes that season ruined antoine forever as it instilled bad habits and turned a player who could have been a 24/12/7 all-world PF who just shot 2-3 3's a game into a 20/8/5 overweight tweener who shot 6-7 3's a game.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Pud

Antoine was never legit discussed as an MVP candidate. If OB made some 'He's the MVP of this team' comments, perhaps that is what you are remembering.

Bill Simmons mentioned in a recent article on tanking that one negative side affect was rookies being allowed to do 'whatever they want' like Michael Carter-Williams on this years 76ers and Antoine on the '97 ML Carr led Celtics. He believes that season ruined antoine forever as it instilled bad habits and turned a player who could have been a 24/12/7 all-world PF who just shot 2-3 3's a game into a 20/8/5 overweight tweener who shot 6-7 3's a game.

Bad habits are nearly impossible to break.

When AW returned a few years later and helped lead the charge into the PO's along with CPP and Gary Payton (I think), those were heady days. That was the most exciting bball I can recall seeing since the Bird era.

Then AW got the big head again. And bad habits returned.

Pud

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Pud

[/QUOTE]
    Bad habits are nearly impossible to break.

When AW returned a few years later and helped lead the charge into the PO's along with CPP and Gary Payton (I think), those were heady days. That was the most exciting bball I can recall seeing since the Bird era.

Then AW got the big head again. And bad habits returned.

Pud

[/QUOTE]

Meh, it was more skills declining RAPIDLY than a big head.

After that spirited '05 playoff run he wanted to stay in Boston but Ainge told him the team was about to rebuild and engineered a trade that landed him in Miami. If he had a big head and bad habits there it hardly stopped the team from winning a title as 'Toine accepted a 6th man role and played in all 82 games with the same PER and a higher rebound per minute average than back in '03. 

The guy was kinda a fat slug who shot way too many 3's and did not rebound nearly enough between the '99 lockout and the end of his stint in Dallas in '04. He had two good seasons to start his career and 2 more on fun playoff teams to end it in '05/'06 before being completely done (bizarre) at age 31 in '08.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Fearless Fosberg is one great detective, and now a hoops expert too?                                                                                                                                                                                Or was that Fosdick?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to BaileyPowe's comment:
    [QUOTE]

better all the time, tomobo. it's the purest joy!

[/QUOTE]

I've heard Meth is as well...for a very short while!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Antoine Wlaker was as gutless swine who let that punk Kenyon Martin run him out of the league...the man refused to play a physical game and it ended his career....Martin OWNED the dude....and Martin was, is and always will be a thug punk...he won't try that crap with Sully!

Poor Antoine...I think they should name one of the MA casino's "Antoine Walkerville"!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Only one stat matters...the Celtics winning % before little napolean came back and the winning % after....all that counts...that's REALLY bottom lining the deal...