Free Agents and rebuilding for 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from elDunker2. Show elDunker2's posts

Free Agents and rebuilding for 2013

OK, so lets assume the most likely scenario and we keep the existing team, without Kaman, through 2012 season and get eliminated in the first or second round of the playoffs. The list of available free agents (most restricted) that will be realistically available to us are NOT gonna dramatically change this team, even if KG and Allen sign back with dramatically reduced one year contracts. The top franchise difference maker, howard is gone. williams and westbrook are slight upgrades at PG but will be retained by the Thunder and NJ. We don't want to bring in any more old horses...so who does that leave? Gordon and a bunch of good but not great players who can't elevate this team to championship caliber. We have alot of cap space $32+M to spend and nobody decent to buy... We better trade down in the draft to get a top 7 high potental starter since KG, Allen and Pierce are no longer trade material. By not structuring a blockbuster trade, Danny has dug a very deep hole for this team.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rebels345209. Show Rebels345209's posts

Re: Free Agents and rebuilding for 2013

I think what people forget is with cap space you can be involved in sign and trades also. We could also be a huge target to be included in any 3 team deals with our cap space. It isn't about outright signing free agents anymore. With cap space you become a prime time trade partner also

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to Free Agents and rebuilding for 2013:
    [QUOTE]OK, so lets assume the most likely scenario and we keep the existing team, without Kaman, through 2012 season and get eliminated in the first or second round of the playoffs. The list of available free agents (most restricted) that will be realistically available to us are NOT gonna dramatically change this team, even if KG and Allen sign back with dramatically reduced one year contracts. The top franchise difference maker, howard is gone. williams and westbrook are slight upgrades at PG but will be retained by the Thunder and NJ. We don't want to bring in any more old horses...so who does that leave? Gordon and a bunch of good but not great players who can't elevate this team to championship caliber. We have alot of cap space $32+M to spend and nobody decent to buy... We better trade down in the draft to get a top 7 high potental starter since KG, Allen and Pierce are no longer trade material. By not structuring a blockbuster trade, Danny has dug a very deep hole for this team.
    Posted by elDunker2[/QUOTE]

Not sure DA had much choice. We don't have many tradeable assets.  The hole was dug sometime ago.

The chickens have come home to roost.

Pud

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to Re: Free Agents and rebuilding for 2013:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Free Agents and rebuilding for 2013 : Not sure DA had much choice. We don't have many tradeable assets.  The hole was dug sometime ago. The chickens have come home to roost. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin[/QUOTE]

It's a rebuilding process at this point.  Which isn't anything to cry about.  Anyone with any basketball sense knew this was coming. With that said there is no way at this point to know how good or bad the Celtics will be next year because they will probably have 10 new guys.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

now that i know what we're going to have the rest of the way, and assuming that RA and KG will not be back next year (although anything is possible), i may actually go ahead and buy the remainder of the NBA season ticket. if this is the end of this era, which it probably is, i'm going to enjoy watching as much big 3 as i possibly can. :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Gordon and a bunch of good but not great players who can't elevate this team to championship caliber. We have alot of cap space $32+M to spend and nobody decent to buy...

There are some young bigs available who could make a difference. JaVale McGee and Roy Hibbert are both restricted free agents. The Celtics could offer them max deals and hope that Denver and Indiana don't match the offers. A third intriguing player is Ersan Ilyasova, who puts up monster numbers with the Bucks. He's an unrestricted free agent. If the Celtics decide they want him, he's theirs for the taking. A second tier center, more because of age, is the oft-discussed Chris Kaman. An old center, also unrestricted, is New Englander Marcus Camby, an underrated pro who has averaged a double-double for his career. Maybe the Celtics could sign two of these five players.

At the swing position, the Celtics should target Jeff Green, who hopefully will sign on the cheap out of loyalty to the team, and OJ Mayo, who would be very effective as a SG and backup PG. It won't take a max deal to sign Mayo. I would then try to bring back Garnett and Allen at discounted rates. I suspect Garnett would rather play closer to his Malibu home for the Clippers or Lakers, while Allen would probably stick around for the MLE.

Restricted free agent targets: McGee, Hibbert.
    Unrestricted free agent targets: Ilyasova, Kaman, Camby, Green, Mayo, Garnett, Allen.

If I had to make a bet, I'd say the Nuggets and Pacers retain their restricted free agents, the Celtics sign Ilyasova, Camby, Green, Mayo, Allen, and Wilcox (who fit in well with the Celtics); Garnett signs with the Clippers.

C Camby
    PF Ilyasova
    SF Pierce
    PG Rondo
    SG Allen

C Wilcox
    PF Bass
    SF Green
    PG Bradley
    SG Mayo

C Stiemsma
    PF Johnson
    SF Pietrus
    PG Draft pick
    SG Draft pick

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CASox. Show CASox's posts

[QUOTE]Gordon and a bunch of good but not great players who can't elevate this team to championship caliber. We have alot of cap space $32+M to spend and nobody decent to buy... There are some young bigs available who could make a difference. JaVale McGee and Roy Hibbert are both restricted free agents. The Celtics could offer them max deals and hope that Denver and Indiana don't match the offers. A third intriguing player is Ersan Ilyasova, who puts up monster numbers with the Bucks. He's an unrestricted free agent. If the Celtics decide they want him, he's theirs for the taking. A second tier center, more because of age, is the oft-discussed Chris Kaman. An old center, also unrestricted, is New Englander Marcus Camby, an underrated pro who has averaged a double-double for his career. Maybe the Celtics could sign two of these five players. At the swing position, the Celtics should target Jeff Green, who hopefully will sign on the cheap out of loyalty to the team, and OJ Mayo, who would be very effective as a SG and backup PG. It won't take a max deal to sign Mayo. I would then try to bring back Garnett and Allen at discounted rates. I suspect Garnett would rather play closer to his Malibu home for the Clippers or Lakers, while Allen would probably stick around for the MLE. Restricted free agent targets: McGee, Hibbert. Unrestricted free agent targets: Ilyasova, Kaman, Camby, Green, Mayo, Garnett, Allen. If I had to make a bet, I'd say the Nuggets and Pacers retain their restricted free agents, the Celtics sign Ilyasova, Camby, Green, Mayo, Allen, and Wilcox (who fit in well with the Celtics); Garnett signs with the Clippers. C Camby PF Ilyasova SF Pierce PG Rondo SG Allen C Wilcox PF Bass SF Green PG Bradley SG Mayo C Stiemsma PF Johnson SF Pietrus PG Draft pick SG Draft pick
    Posted by davidap[/QUOTE]

Max deals to Hibbert or McGhee?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

I think the OP means trade UP, which is what I have been saying we try to do.  CLE has 4 picks in the top 40, maybe they would do something.  There is such thing as TOO young also!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Free Agents and rebuilding for 2013 : Not sure DA had much choice. We don't have many tradeable assets.  The hole was dug sometime ago. The chickens have come home to roost. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin[/QUOTE]
    We had tradeable assets (RR, PP, Ray, KG) that teams wanted but DA didn't want to break up the band and get burned again. We will have a lot of cap space and 2 low draft choices but the FO is delusional to think that automatically means top FA's will want to play here next year. Hell, even if some decent FA's get bought out, they're likely to go to teams like Miami first. Plus, there are no guarantees that the C's will draft an impact player in the first round which is why I think DA should've pulled the trigger at the trade deadline. Seems like a lot of teams did and a lot of teams helped themselves too.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

In Response to Free Agents and rebuilding for 2013:
    [QUOTE]By not structuring a blockbuster trade, Danny has dug a very deep hole for this team.
    Posted by elDunker2[/QUOTE]

You make it sound so easy.  DA: "Hmmm, I think I'll organize a blockbuster trade.  I wonder who I should go after?"  :-)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TuukkainNet. Show TuukkainNet's posts

Anyone who believes we are in a bad situation has a very short term memory...it wasn't that long ago that we forced to hope that Eric Montross or Acie Earl or even Greg Minor would turn into something.  It wasn't that long ago that Dino Radja was our best player.  We are in great position to rebuild.  We have cap space, we have a PG who might be the best distributer in the league and a coach that is respected by everyone.   It might take another season or two but i believe we can be a contender again sooner then later.

1 championship and 1 runner up in the last four seasons is a solid run...

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Free Agents and rebuilding for 2013 : Cap space is useless if you have no one to use it on.
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

Get up on the wrong side of bed again?  :-)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Free Agents and rebuilding for 2013 : We had tradeable assets (RR, PP, Ray, KG) that teams wanted but DA didn't want to break up the band and get burned again. We will have a lot of cap space and 2 low draft choices but the FO is delusional to think that automatically means top FA's will want to play here next year. Hell, even if some decent FA's get bought out, they're likely to go to teams like Miami first. Plus, there are no guarantees that the C's will draft an impact player in the first round which is why I think DA should've pulled the trigger at the trade deadline. Seems like a lot of teams did and a lot of teams helped themselves too.
    Posted by wfdog[/QUOTE]

Our tradable assets would not have brought much in return. If they could have brought much, there would have been little reason to trade them because the Cs would still have had a very competitive team.

That DA could not swap RR and JG and #1 pics and pieces for a rental CP3 I suspect must have been an eye opener for many including those wearing green goggles.

DA should have started the transition 2 years ago when the value of Big Four was higher. But he doubled down, added aging AS's, resigned PP and RA... and lost.

Hindsight!

I do think that the Rondo et al for rental CP3 fiasco made DA gun-shy... and showed his hand as negotiating from a truly very weak position.

Pud

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

[QUOTE]Anyone who believes we are in a bad situation has a very short term memory...it wasn't that long ago that we forced to hope that Eric Montross or Acie Earl or even Greg Minor would turn into something.  It wasn't that long ago that Dino Radja was our best player.  We are in great position to rebuild.  We have cap space, we have a PG who might be the best distributer in the league and a coach that is respected by everyone.   It might take another season or two but i believe we can be a contender again sooner then later. 1 championship and 1 runner up in the last four seasons is a solid run...
    Posted by TuukkainNet[/QUOTE]

stop it! optimism is not allowed on this board! doom and gloom only!! ;)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Free Agents and rebuilding for 2013 : It's true. Who are we going to sign who'll make a difference or make us an elite team again?

Fierce, enjoy the rest of the season.  Then wait for the off season.  And see what happens.

Don't worry so much.  Try to have fun Smile.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]Anyone who believes we are in a bad situation has a very short term memory...it wasn't that long ago that we forced to hope that Eric Montross or Acie Earl or even Greg Minor would turn into something.  It wasn't that long ago that Dino Radja was our best player.  We are in great position to rebuild.  We have cap space, we have a PG who might be the best distributer in the league and a coach that is respected by everyone.   It might take another season or two but i believe we can be a contender again sooner then later. 1 championship and 1 runner up in the last four seasons is a solid run...
    Posted by TuukkainNet[/QUOTE]

We are certainly in a very bad situation compared to where most of us though we would be after 2007-8 and the beginning of the 2nd Big 3 era.

The hard part is getting to be an elite team. Staying elite should be less difficult than once getting there.

Success typically breeds success.. but not in this case.

We also have a coach feared by no one and a best player PG who is blessed with a Jekyll/Hyde temperament/production that few other franchises would want.

Pud

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Free Agents and rebuilding for 2013 : It's true. Who are we going to sign who'll make a difference or make us an elite team again?

Well according to you we just bring back this years team and sign Chris Kaman.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Free Agents and rebuilding for 2013 : Well according to you we just bring back this years team and sign Chris Kaman.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]

!!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CASox. Show CASox's posts

Agree with you on this one Fierce...Id like to see who others think the Cs spend all this money on in the offseason that will make them much better...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

im afraid Celtics fans are getting greedy and spoiled. 

we have had an elite team for 5 years (supposed to be 3 yr window) and now we are complaining bc we are gunna have to rebuild to get back to where we were? u cant just snap ur fingers to stay elite..it takes time, work, TIME. 

stop complaining, the current core gave us a championship and, barring injuries, we could have won 1 or 2 more. im more than happy with what this current group has given us and continues to give us, and look forward to seeing the next Celtics core evolve.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]im afraid Celtics fans are getting greedy and spoiled.  we have had an elite team for 5 years (supposed to be 3 yr window) and now we are complaining bc we are gunna have to rebuild to get back to where we were? u cant just snap ur fingers to stay elite..it takes time, work, TIME.  stop complaining, the current core gave us a championship and, barring injuries, we could have won 1 or 2 more. im more than happy with what this current group has given us and continues to give us, and look forward to seeing the next Celtics core evolve.
    Posted by JamezHill24[/QUOTE]

Way spoiled.  I've followed every team closely since about 1975 or so. Point being I have seen the good and the bad. This group got us a championship and worked hard.  This year you just root for them and appreciate them.  Next year you get a whole new team.  It might be amazing and it might be horrible.  That doesn't mean you spend all of 2012 crying.