Game Thread: Celtics vs Hawks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red2004sox. Show red2004sox's posts

Re: Game Thread: Celtics vs Hawks

Well if you trade two or three for one, that will open up a roster spot or two.  then you pick up K Mart.  K Joseph may be ready but if you trade for someone like Gasol, he can play Power forward, Small forward and some center.  But it is just a matter of what you trade and for whom.  Then you fill in the pieces.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BCSP's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If we go that route, I hope DA try's to get Ariza from the Wiz! 

[/QUOTE]

Can't get Ariza.

The Celts can sign a player for 1.9m but can't trade for a player worth 1.9m. So the Celtics can sign a free-agent worth 1.9m, the most, but can't trade for a player worth 1.9m.

[/QUOTE]

I was thinking a trade. Ariza is on the books for 7-million a year for the next 2-years.

Wishful thinking on my part! 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pa-Pow. Show Pa-Pow's posts

The question is why did Danny pay Green 9 mil for 4 big ones.  Green another lousy night 3 pts. and 1 rebound!! 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red2004sox. Show red2004sox's posts

If you pick up a straight Center like Gortat.  Then KG starts PF and Sully off the bench.  Gortats back up is Collins and Wilcox depending on the matchup.  Or KG still playing center with Sully playing power forward, with Gortat off the bench and Wilcox playing the 2nd unit power forward.  Plenty of options.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

If you get Gortat you can give up Melo.  Bass would probably have to sent.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to Pa-Pow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The question is why did Danny pay Green 9 mil for 4 big ones.  Green another lousy night 3 pts. and 1 rebound!! 

[/QUOTE]

Keep watching.  Now that things are falling into place you will see a domino effect.  Jeff Green will also find his role in the rotation.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to red2004sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If you pick up a straight Center like Gortat.  Then KG starts PF and Sully off the bench.  Gortats back up is Collins and Wilcox depending on the matchup.  Or KG still playing center with Sully playing power forward, with Gortat off the bench and Wilcox playing the 2nd unit power forward.  Plenty of options.

[/QUOTE]

The 5 that makes sense for Boston is Gortat.  The guy will play defense and will not disrupt the offensive chemistry.

Here is the issue: like it or not, Boston can't abandon the thought of being able to go through Miami and New York.  The last two games have been stellar because both teams attack from the guard spot.  AB's arrival has helped the Celts take that away.  Miami and New York attack from the forward spot.  The Celts need to have players to match up there.  That is why you can't trade Jeff Green and Bass.  Boston needs a stronger backup 5 than Collins.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Check into Okofur.   At this point I would trade Green (You know the guy about half the posters have been trying to bench Pierce for)  for a decent center.  That is more important than a backup for PP.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to OneOnOne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Check into Okofur.   At this point I would trade Green (You know the guy about half the posters have been trying to bench Pierce for)  for a decent center.  That is more important than a backup for PP.

[/QUOTE]

No.  You can't trade for that kind of money for that kind of production.  You will have to give up a lot and will get very little in retrun.  Dalembert will be a much better option for a backup 5.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to prakash's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The 5 that makes sense for Boston is Gortat.  The guy will play defense and will not disrupt the offensive chemistry.

Here is the issue: like it or not, Boston can't abandon the thought of being able to go through Miami and New York.  The last two games have been stellar because both teams attack from the guard spot.  AB's arrival has helped the Celts take that away.  Miami and New York attack from the forward spot.  The Celts need to have players to match up there.  That is why you can't trade Jeff Green and Bass.  Boston needs a stronger backup 5 than Collins.

[/QUOTE]

If you replace Bass with Pau Gasol, or even Amare, then the Celtics upgraded that PF position.

Jeff Green can be replaced by another SF worth 1.9m.

The Celtics' main problem is not a backup to Collins. A big man who can score more and rebound more than KG is what the Celtics need. In other words, the Celtics need another big man who's better or just as good as KG.

[/QUOTE]

I hear you Fierce.  I want to see what happens at New York on Monday.

My feeling is that there are only two moves that make sense.  Gortat at 5 or Dalembert at backup 5.  Ofcourse, Kevin Love at 4 will be ideal but that kind of stuff is pipe dream.

Personally, I believe that the Celts are not going to do anything.  They may move Lee for Dalembert.  They will keep playing Sullinger and will now try to find a place for Green in the rotation.  I don't think that they will make a move before the trade deadline.  To make a move now, it has to be something compelling that will not compromise the future.  If they wait until the trade deadline, they can't make a big disruptive move.  That will compromise the present.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

My feeling is that there are only two moves that make sense.  Gortat at 5 or Dalembert at backup 5.  Ofcourse, Kevin Love at 4 will be ideal but that kind of stuff is pipe dream.

Personally, I believe that the Celts are not going to do anything.  They may move Lee for Dalembert.  They will keep playing Sullinger and will now try to find a place for Green in the rotation.  I don't think that they will make a move before the trade deadline.  To make a move now, it has to be something compelling that will not compromise the future.  If they wait until the trade deadline, they can't make a big disruptive move.  That will compromise the present.

[/QUOTE]

Lee for Dalembert and Bass for Marion.

If the Mavs will go after Dwight in the summer, then they must get rid of Marion's contract.

[/QUOTE]

I think that either one will serve the Celts well.  Both will be good.  To get Marion, the Celts have to offer expiring contracts.  Barbosa, Wilcox and Collins are the contracts.  Can't dump Lee AND Barbosa (need safety net).  Can't trade Bass AND Wilcox.

In any case, neither of the two moves are happening on Jan 15th.  The moves will only happen around the trade deadline.  To make these moves now, the Celts will have to throw in too many draft picks.  By the trade deadline the motivation levels will be high on both the sides.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If the Mavs will go after Dwight in the summer, then they must get rid of Marion's contract.

[/QUOTE]
    sign the papers and do that right now.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to Kirk6's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We don't need to trade.

Wilcox will be back, and Melo is maturing.

[/QUOTE]

Whatever your smoking please pass it around so we can all be happy.

Newsflash,  I don't think Melo if going to play the big show this year.  Wilcox may be back before long but will probably get hurt again..  Seems like he is always injured. 

Yes Kirk we need a big man.  The entire NBA arena knows it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think that either one will serve the Celts well.  Both will be good.  To get Marion, the Celts have to offer expiring contracts.  Barbosa, Wilcox and Collins are the contracts.  Can't dump Lee AND Barbosa (need safety net).  Can't trade Bass AND Wilcox.

In any case, neither of the two moves are happening on Jan 15th.  The moves will only happen around the trade deadline.  To make these moves now, the Celts will have to throw in too many draft picks.  By the trade deadline the motivation levels will be high on both the sides.

[/QUOTE]

agree we need to keep Barbosa,  but yes we can trade both Wilcox and Bass.  Why couldn't we?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to OneOnOne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

agree we need to keep Barbosa,  but yes we can trade both Wilcox and Bass.  Why couldn't we?

[/QUOTE]

Same reason as Lee and Barbosa.  Versatility.  If you have Dalembert and Fab Melo can be brought up, you can get rid of Collins.  Marion is 6'7".  He will match up well with LeBron and (NY) Melo.  But I don't want to have him guard bigger 4s.  If you get rid of Bass, I prefer to keep Wilcox.  That will keep the Celts more versatile.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Marion would also help with the rebounding problems.  He does a lot of things that don't show up in the boxscore.  Doesn't need plays ran for him to be effective.  Plays defense.  Yes he could help us a lot.  We might have to throw in a second round pick with Bass to make it happen.  

This is like 99% of the trade proposals.  It most likely won't ever happen.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from red2004sox. Show red2004sox's posts

The Celtics will need to keep playing D like the last two nights.  If they do and they can, then their deficiency of bigs will not be as apparent.  That will take the pressure off of just making any move.  There will be teams looking to dump salaries before the trade deadline.  There always is!  If Danny wants to deal for a big and reasonable deal there will be deals to be made.

Funny how this years record is identical to last years record at this point in the season and last year they were so close to going to the finals.  They are starting to figure it out.  With Wilcox back it gives them a little more depth at the 5 and that is not a bad thing.  No matter how you look at it, Wilcox is an upgrade to Collins.  He just needs to gel on D with the rest of the team.

Sections
Shortcuts