Game Thread: Celtics vs. Pistons 4.3.11

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

Re: Game Thread: Celtics vs. Pistons 4.3.11

@ Dino - Yeah, exactly... breaking new, huh?

If it were me, I would keep him out until we're in the playoffs against a team of bigs, like if we go against the Magic or Lakers.  I'm all for resting him in the 1st round if we possibly can.  With Jermaine healthy (fingers crossed), I think it's do-able.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dino1980. Show dino1980's posts

"You lollgag the ball around the outfield.  You lollygag the ball around the infield. Do you know what that makes you?"

"Lollygaggers?"

"That's right!  Lollygaggers!!!"

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In Response to Re: Game Thread: Celtics vs. Pistons 4.3.11:
    [QUOTE]@ Dino - Yeah, exactly... breaking new, huh? If it were me, I would keep him out until we're in the playoffs against a team of bigs, like if we go against the Magic or Lakers.  I'm all for resting him in the 1st round if we possibly can.  With Jermaine healthy (fingers crossed), I think it's do-able.
    Posted by MsLithium21[/QUOTE]

Ms. L., generally I agree with you, but something to consider here:
    A player has to get game time to have his/her game legs and timing as well as feel with the teammates.  As you know as a ball player - one doesn't come on to the court after 3 months off and just play well.  You'll be rusty and out of sync with your teammates......especially on defense.   That's why Shaq needs a few games in before the playoffs.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

[QUOTE]MsLithium - I'm not going to doubt you! I know I broke my ankle running and didn't go down like that! I sincerely hope you are right about the diagnosis and the recovery time!!!!
    Posted by dino1980[/QUOTE]

I think the pain and recovery time depend on so many factors.  With all the running you do - especially if you're good about stretching - it sounds like you're in better shape than Shaq!  Even I was overzealous with those lay-up drills.  I work out multiple times a day but that was my first time going that hard to the basket since my playing days!  So, conditioning and muscle looseness are big factors and Shaq's not known for either one right now, especially at his age. I think that explains a lot...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

When Jason Maxiel (sp?) went straight around Green, its an example of why he's not getting more minutes.  Did you see Doc as he walked out to talk to Green - shaking his head.  Green just does not get the defensive rotations, yet.  It just takes time as the C's don't play D like normal teams.  YOu really have to understand the rotations.  I hope Green gets there in the next few weeks.....it would be nice to have him on the court more.  

West is the opposite example, he gets it and is really in sync with the other players.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Game Thread: Celtics vs. Pistons 4.3.11 : Ms. L., generally I agree with you, but something to consider here: A player has to get game time to have his/her game legs and timing as well as feel with the teammates.  As you know as a ball player - one doesn't come on to the court after 3 months off and just play well.  You'll be rusty and out of sync with your teammates......especially on defense.   That's why Shaq needs a few games in before the playoffs.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

I do know what you mean and completely agree.  It was just so scary to see him get hurt again today.  It's an extremely tough balance.  Hopefully this was just bad luck and his next comeback will be a more long-term.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dino1980. Show dino1980's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Game Thread: Celtics vs. Pistons 4.3.11 : Ms. L., generally I agree with you, but something to consider here: A player has to get game time to have his/her game legs and timing as well as feel with the teammates.  As you know as a ball player - one doesn't come on to the court after 3 months off and just play well.  You'll be rusty and out of sync with your teammates......especially on defense.   That's why Shaq needs a few games in before the playoffs.

Um, Shaq missed how many games?.... and was still a factor early in this one!!

I'd agree if we weren't talking about one of the NBA's 50 "Greatest Players"

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

All right 2nd unit - stay STRONG and hold that lead so we that we not only win but also get some rest for your teammates!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Game Thread: Celtics vs. Pistons 4.3.11 : Um, Shaq missed how many games?.... and was still a factor early in this one!! I'd agree if we weren't talking about one of the NBA's 50 "Greatest Players"

Shaq was such a huge factor in those minutes.  You're right too... I think it's all about balance, and the fortunate thing is that Shaq is already very much in sync with the rest of the starters so we have a little extra leeway with him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom. Show proftom's posts

Ya, but JO and Green contributed a heck a lot more than the box score shows.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Well, this is GREAT! We are beating up on the Pistons, a horrible team. Its about time.
    And for everyone who was counting on Shaq riding in on his White Horse to save the day.............its not happening. He is going to be out for three weeks minimum.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dino1980. Show dino1980's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Game Thread: Celtics vs. Pistons 4.3.11 : Shaq was such a huge factor in those minutes.  You're right too... I think it's all about balance, and the fortunate thing is that Shaq is already very much in sync with the rest of the starters so we have a little extra leeway with him.

You can't coach height!  That's what Shaq adds.  He's tough to get over or around.  As a starter, he's good, as a backup he's awesome!!

Shaq's always been a good passer so I'm never going to be worried about getting him involved or on the same page. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

By the way, who else has them on TV and just saw the shot of him walking around on his own power?! 

Best news all month, with our statement win in San Antonio a close 2nd.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dino1980. Show dino1980's posts

[QUOTE]Well, this is GREAT! We are beating up on the Pistons, a horrible team. Its about time. And for everyone who was counting on Shaq riding in on his White Horse to save the day.............its not happening. He is going to be out for three weeks minimum.
    Posted by pumpsie-green[/QUOTE]

Not only that, but they were excited to have Shaq back and didn't go away when he went down.

The mental focus was there for the 1st 3 quarters and that's been missing lately!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Game Thread: Celtics vs. Pistons 4.3.11 : You can't coach height!  That's what Shaq adds.  He's tough to get over or around.  As a starter, he's good, as a backup he's awesome!! Shaq's always been a good passer so I'm never going to be worried about getting him involved or on the same page. 

That's for sure, on all counts!  He's also very smart, which will help tremendously.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dino1980. Show dino1980's posts

[QUOTE]By the way, who else has them on TV and just saw the shot of him walking around on his own power?!  Best news all month, with our statement win in San Antonio a close 2nd.

I saw that!   I want a pair of those slippers Shaq was sporting!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

[QUOTE]Well, this is GREAT! We are beating up on the Pistons, a horrible team. Its about time. And for everyone who was counting on Shaq riding in on his White Horse to save the day.............its not happening. He is going to be out for three weeks minimum.
    Posted by pumpsie-green[/QUOTE]

Hey the Pistons played the Bulls down to the wire.  They're horrible but not THAT horrible... Maybe that's why we're blowing them out.  Wink

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Game Thread: Celtics vs. Pistons 4.3.11 : I saw that!   I want a pair of those slippers Shaq was sporting!

You're not kidding!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dino1980. Show dino1980's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Game Thread: Celtics vs. Pistons 4.3.11 : You're not kidding!!

For once we have a Celtic hurt and not sporting a "walking boot"

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

I'll be looking for him walking on youtube

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom. Show proftom's posts

Thats it, good win. And yes, Shaq is walking around on his own power, slight limp. He's back, not worry he's back.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Game Thread: Celtics vs. Pistons 4.3.11 : Hey the Pistons played the Bulls down to the wire.  They're horrible but not THAT horrible... Maybe that's why we're blowing them out. 

I just think its about time we beat a team we should beat easily. Its refreshing.
    As for Shaq, this is the same injury Von Wafer had....and he was out three weeks. And Shaq is older. Its a pretty painful debilitating injury, speaking from experience. You can walk on it, but you can't run or jump on it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dino1980. Show dino1980's posts

OK, good day today for the Celtics even with Shaq going down!!

Mental focus was there!  Defense was solid!  The new guys were looking good (at least those that played).  It's a positive step even with the injury.

It honestly gives me hope post-Perk-trade!  (Sorry guys I loved Perkins - and still do!)  If Shaq and/or J.O. are ready to go for the playoffs, WATCH OUT!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Game Thread: Celtics vs. Pistons 4.3.11 : Um, Shaq missed how many games?.... and was still a factor early in this one!! I'd agree if we weren't talking about one of the NBA's 50 "Greatest Players"

Smile - against the Pistons!  If this were the Lakers or Miami or Chicago, we'd find it tougher and we have to play better.  We can't live on how good we USED to be.  We have to work as a machine from this point out.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dino1980. Show dino1980's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Game Thread: Celtics vs. Pistons 4.3.11 : Smile - against the Pistons!  If this were the Lakers or Miami or Chicago, we'd find it tougher and we have to play better.  We can't live on how good we USED to be.  We have to work as a machine from this point out.

No doubt, but Shaq isn't going to forget how to play before the playoffs start.

I'd put that on the other guys who aren't nearly 40