Game Thread: Celtics vs Rockets

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Re: Game Thread: Celtics vs Rockets

In response to breaktime's comment:
    [QUOTE]

One more reason DA will pull the trigger,  hopefully for that mythical bigman we've  needed since  he said adios to Perk.  Bradley's return will help, but without a greater response to addrressing  our weaknesses,  we are a mediocre team which will end  the season  a few games above  .500 and be overmatched, not just by Miami, but NY, Brooklyn, and Philly too, IMO.

I know  I said I wouldn't make up my mind about this team until January, and Bradley is still out, but inconsistent means  one  step forward and  one step backwards, and that is the best way to define this  team after 25% of the season.

[/QUOTE]

I'm still waiting until late January or early Feb before making up my mind.   I am with you, though, on the fact that Ainge will be anxious to pull the trigger on a trade for a big/inside player. That solves one problem if he does.  The other problems, however, lie in how well these players learn to play in the defensive scheme.

Sometimes we, as fans, were very critical of what we had.  But in hindsight, we can see that what we had made us a good defensive team (Posey, Tony Allen, Perk, Delonte, Baby Davis, etc). I now wish we had some of their toughness on this team.   They weren't pretty, but man did this team play better d with each of those players!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

I will stick with my Celtics til the end and this isn't last season when we started out, what 10 - 10.  We have some really quality pieces (on paper) but they are just not working out yet.

Honestly folks, I really don't see improvement with this team.  The only thing consistent with this Celtics team is their inconsistency.  A quarter of the season is gone and we have some major flaws.  I mean MAJOR!

We have no closer, no rebounder, no individual defense, no team defense, no chemistry, athleticism that we don't utilize.  The Rockets ran us to death in this game.  The best thing about this season is Rondo's consistency.  But then again, Rondo can get 15 points and 13 assists before he brushes his teeth in the morning.  Maybe this team needs 20 and 13 from him because Pierce is too inefficient getting his 19 per game.  Five rebounds from the starting center spot - and ZERO rebounds a couple games ago.  That's UNHEARD of.  THAT'S INCONSISTENCY!

We need an infusion of something.  I don't want to put all that pressure on the return of Bradley because that might not materialize as expected.  We need a BIG BIG-TIME.

As I spout about inconsistency, we may very well go into San Antonio tomorrow and play the game of the season and WIN - that's just how INCONSISTENT we are.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to Celtsfan4life's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

One more reason DA will pull the trigger,  hopefully for that mythical bigman we've  needed since  he said adios to Perk.  Bradley's return will help, but without a greater response to addrressing  our weaknesses,  we are a mediocre team which will end  the season  a few games above  .500 and be overmatched, not just by Miami, but NY, Brooklyn, and Philly too, IMO.

I know  I said I wouldn't make up my mind about this team until January, and Bradley is still out, but inconsistent means  one  step forward and  one step backwards, and that is the best way to define this  team after 25% of the season.

[/QUOTE]

I'm still waiting until late January or early Feb before making up my mind.   I am with you, though, on the fact that Ainge will be anxious to pull the trigger on a trade for a big/inside player. That solves one problem if he does.  The other problems, however, lie in how well these players learn to play in the defensive scheme.

Sometimes we, as fans, were very critical of what we had.  But in hindsight, we can see that what we had made us a good defensive team (Posey, Tony Allen, Perk, Delonte, Baby Davis, etc). I now wish we had some of their toughness on this team.   They weren't pretty, but man did this team play better d with each of those players!!!

[/QUOTE]

Bradley can change things but KG without some real help will have trouble getting through the season.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not resigning Posey remains a mistake in my mind.  Clutch 3's and  good D.  Losing TA, in spite of his offensive problems, was a huge mistake. His D has left  a hole  we  have yet to fill.  Perk  was as close to  a good big  as we've had.  Lotta variables in  that  trade.  Good case can be made for either side, but we remain without a big in his absence.  BBD and Delonte, IMO, were just too off mentally to stay on Doc's team, but, moving off point,  that's what a lot of posters say about Rondo.
    Sorta like saying DA's trades have been about as inconsistent as the team's play.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In response to Petey62's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I will stick with my Celtics til the end and this isn't last season when we started out, what 10 - 10.  We have some really quality pieces (on paper) but they are just not working out yet.

Honestly folks, I really don't see improvement with this team.  The only thing consistent with this Celtics team is their inconsistency.  A quarter of the season is gone and we have some major flaws.  I mean MAJOR!

We have no closer, no rebounder, no individual defense, no team defense, no chemistry, athleticism that we don't utilize.  The Rockets ran us to death in this game.  The best thing about this season is Rondo's consistency.  But then again, Rondo can get 15 points and 13 assists before he brushes his teeth in the morning.  Maybe this team needs 20 and 13 from him because Pierce is too inefficient getting his 19 per game.  Five rebounds from the starting center spot - and ZERO rebounds a couple games ago.  That's UNHEARD of.  THAT'S INCONSISTENCY!

We need an infusion of something.  I don't want to put all that pressure on the return of Bradley because that might not materialize as expected.  We need a BIG BIG-TIME.

As I spout about inconsistency, we may very well go into San Antonio tomorrow and play the game of the season and WIN - that's just how INCONSISTENT we are.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, we have some major flaws.   We may only be disagreeing about the degree of the problem.  I remember some HORRID play at the beginning of the season and I see progress from that first month, Petey.  I find it hard to believe you think this team is as bad as it was when got our butts kicked by Milwaukee, had to go to OT to beat the lowly Wizards, got bruised by the Nets, and BLOWN OUT by a terrible Detroit team.  I can't believe you think Terry and Green aren't playing better than they did in the first 4 weeks of the season or that Wilcox isn't playing better.  

Of course we've improved, even if we are still inconsistent.

We stink, but we've made some improvements and if they continue, we'll be a "good", not great team.   We are short of just 3 things to become a great team:   A big man, Avery Bradley, and the team embracing the defensive schemes.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to BloggetyBloop's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Anyone know the final score?

Have a very blessed night!

[/QUOTE]

No, but I do know the Lakers record this season 10 wins and 14 losses!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Man, seeing KG and McHale like that makes one forget all about the game!!

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In response to kyceltic's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Man, seeing KG and McHale like that makes one forget all about the game!!

[/QUOTE]

I missed it.  What did they do?  I'm guessing KG showed love for McHale's losing a daughter?

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

I am watching TA play defense! He is so fundamentally sound!

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BCSP's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's the difference between KG and Duncan. While KG's very good at defense, his rebounding and inside scoring is not fundamentally sound right now. If we had Duncan instead of KG right now, the Celts wouldn't be looking for a guy like Gortat, the Celts would be looking to add a big guard who can score.

[/QUOTE]

Smile....another one where you go out on a limb, huh?  No one can argue this point.  Its absolutely true.....and obvious.  But, we don't have (nor do most teams) a Tim Duncan.....even a Tim Duncan at this stage of his career!  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Fierce, here's one for you:   I would rather have Tim Duncan than Dwight Howard - right now!  Duncan plays better TODAY than Howard does today.   In fact, I can't think of a center in the League that plays a better all around game than Duncan.   Mark Gasol is close, but generally - there aren't many better at the D, the rebounds, the picks, the timely passes, etc.   He is 70% of what he used to be and that's still better than most people out there.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BCSP's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's the difference between KG and Duncan. While KG's very good at defense, his rebounding and inside scoring is not fundamentally sound right now. If we had Duncan instead of KG right now, the Celts wouldn't be looking for a guy like Gortat, the Celts would be looking to add a big guard who can score.

[/QUOTE]

On the topic of big men, Melo 10 pts. 2 rebs. and 1 blk.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

[QUOTE]

Yes, we have some major flaws.   We may only be disagreeing about the degree of the problem.  I remember some HORRID play at the beginning of the season and I see progress from that first month, Petey.  I find it hard to believe you think this team is as bad as it was when got our butts kicked by Milwaukee, had to go to OT to beat the lowly Wizards, got bruised by the Nets, and BLOWN OUT by a terrible Detroit team.  I can't believe you think Terry and Green aren't playing better than they did in the first 4 weeks of the season or that Wilcox isn't playing better.  

Of course we've improved, even if we are still inconsistent.

We stink, but we've made some improvements and if they continue, we'll be a "good", not great team.   We are short of just 3 things to become a great team:   A big man, Avery Bradley, and the team embracing the defensive schemes.

[/QUOTE]

Celtsfan, I don't see any more improvement from this team today than I did when we beat the Wizards.  We jumped out on the Wizards in Washington, what 24 - 9, but barely scraped by with a win.  Things really haven't changed much from then.

As for Terry, I don't think he's settled in yet.  In the past 3 games before tonight, he was shooting 22% from the field (saw that caption on ESPN pre-game) so I really don't see much of an improvement out of him.  He had a decent game tonight (and I'm being generous) but, again, improvement is tied to consistency.  Shooting 22% over a 3 game period and then scoring 12 points does not constitute improvement to me.

And Green has been playing well, AGAIN, IN SPURTS.  Having a good 3 game stretch followed by some straight "duds" does not constitute improvement.  Personally, I'd like to see 30 minutes each from Terry and Green and see what they can do.

I know we have this tendency to turn things up post all-star break but we should be much better now than we are even with the new folks.  These aren't 3 year vets we brought in.  We should be further along than we are.  I still hold out hope we put it together with the addition of AB and an effective big man.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from cintrone. Show cintrone's posts

Two words I never expected in the same sentence: Celtics and pathetic. This team's inconsistency is beyond ridiculous. Green was a no show. Bass was a no show. Pierce playing hero ball. Rondo holding to the ball for too long. For God sakes Doc keeps running the same plays over and over again. When is it going to end?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Fierce, you sure are going out on a limb with some of your declarations tonight.  But Celtsfan is correct, they are kind of "obvious" don't you think.

Celtsfan, BTW, I like the Mrs. Lincoln comment!  Other than that, how was the play?  And to think the Lakers players were shocked when he was killed in the end.  U.S. History folks (HI101) freshman history.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts