Game Thread: Celtics vs Spurs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Re: Game Thread: Celtics vs Spurs

In response to concord27's comment:

The defense is horrible and the old offensive mojo ain't what it used to be.  We are struggling mightily.

It was flat out a layup drill.  When Splitter is getting 23 pts on you, you know you have problems.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Speaking of Splitter, why can't we find a guy like that?

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In response to OneOnOne's comment:

In response to Celtsfan4life's comment:

Way to carry the team, Rondo.  Great play.   Unfortunately, we can't have a hero game from Rondo every night.  The whole team needs to step up better.  Where's Pierce, Green, Bass, etc.

Its not wheres Pierce, Green, Bass,.   Pierce and Bass both scored well.  The question is where is the defense and rebounding? Bass was the leading rebounder for starters with six.  Sully had 7.  We got killed inside.  Rondo dominated the 4the quarter and when he does that you aren't going to get much from anyone else since he has the ball.  We played fine on the offensive end.  Plain and simple its rebounding and defense.   Now if you want to ask where that is, I would like to know as well.

Clearly defense and rebounding were the biggest issues.   No disagreement from ANYONE here.  But that's part of my question about where's Pierce and Bass?  No drives that gave us free thows.  No inside points that broke down their defense.  No real defense on them.  and in the 4th quarter - no points.   Neither of them did much at crunch time.   SA scored 112 points - that gave us more possessions so some offensive stats look good....but that's deceiving.  

So I ask again, where's Pierce, Bass, and Green?   No real help.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

No bench, no boards, and the invisible man is  showing up again.

I posted that these  3 games (Detroit, San Antonio, and Oklahoma) would serve as a good early season reality check for the team.  Guess what?  So far we're getting an F.

Only good thing about tonites loss is the amusement  I'll get from reading several posters inane remarks about how Rondo was  the reason  we lost.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

for the 2nd unit, definitely. However, there's only one new guy with the starters.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Terry had 12 pts at half time.  He got one shot the rest of the game. The pecking order at crunch time also has to be sorted out. Terry is a big time 4th quarter player.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Speaking of Splitter, why can't we find a guy like that?

[/QUOTE]

Because Danny Ainge passed up DeAndre Jordan for JR Giddens in 2008.

[/QUOTE]

And counted on Shaq and JON to stay healthy while trading away all his other size.   At one point, we had 3 d-league players as our big men and now we've even let them go!!  Good way to improve our rebounding!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In response to breaktime's comment:

I posted that these  3 games (Detroit, San Antonio, and Oklahoma) would serve as a good early season reality check for the team.  Guess what?  So far we're getting an F.

Only good thing about tonites loss is the amusement  I'll get from reading several posters inane remarks about how Rondo was  the reason  we lost.

Come on, man.  Read the posts.   Rondo was great offensively but the posts talk about Rondo being the start of the defensive problems and he is.   Take your rose colored glasses off and be objective.  Rondo is as bad defensively as he is good offensively and that does hurt one of our two big problems......Defense and rebounding!

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

Come on, man.  Read the posts.   Rondo was great offensively but the posts talk about Rondo being the start of the defensive problems and he is.   Take your rose colored glasses off and be objective.  Rondo is as bad defensively as he is good offensively and that does hurt one of our two big problems......Defense and rebounding!

Point taken. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

Way to carry the team, Rondo.  Great play.   Unfortunately, we can't have a hero game from Rondo every night.  The whole team needs to step up better.  Where's Pierce, Green, Bass, etc.

Its not wheres Pierce, Green, Bass,.   Pierce and Bass both scored well.  The question is where is the defense and rebounding? Bass was the leading rebounder for starters with six.  Sully had 7.  We got killed inside.  Rondo dominated the 4the quarter and when he does that you aren't going to get much from anyone else since he has the ball.  We played fine on the offensive end.  Plain and simple its rebounding and defense.   Now if you want to ask where that is, I would like to know as well.

Thats what we have all been saying the whole night....not a revelation....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

yeah  read the posts... no one said the Cs lost because of him.... we said his defense on parker and in general is not good ... and you cant argue that....

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

In response to Fiercest34's comment:

In response to VeniceSox's comment:

Thats what we have all been saying the whole night....not a revelation....

When you lose 70% of your players from last season's team will result in something like tonight.

true but this is happening almost every night....its not like this defensive scheme is rocket science....its about help hedge and move....and since we have better athletes you would think that the D would be better....

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

Found 2 comments out  of all the posts tonite (3 when I include your reply to me) that Rondo's defense was a problem.  That's 3 of 90.  Not exactly an overwhelming number.

Nevertheless, your criticism is somewhat accurate.  Cheating on D for steals will allow the player to penetrate if the swipe is unsuccessful.  But that's more of an issure for Doc and the coaching staff than it is  for Rondo, isn't it?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Clearly defense and rebounding were the biggest issues.   No disagreement from ANYONE here.  But that's part of my question about where's Pierce and Bass?  No drives that gave us free thows.  No inside points that broke down their defense.  No real defense on them.  and in the 4th quarter - no points.   Neither of them did much at crunch time.   SA scored 112 points - that gave us more possessions so some offensive stats look good....but that's deceiving.  

So I ask again, where's Pierce, Bass, and Green?   No real help.

It was pretty much the Rondo show in the 4th.  Don't think Green played much the 4th.  Don't think Pierce touched the ball but twice in the 4th.  Bass was our best rebounder from the starters.  We can't have it both ways,  Rondo scoring most of the points because he gets the shots.  That means other guys aren't getting shots.   I don't know what the solution is.  Green is never going to do anything in 16 minutes a game.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

3 observations1) the small ball experiment is an abomination. They need a center. 2) trade Jeff Green for a parking meter (he just stands there); get what you can, most likely someone elses expensive mistake but if they could get Gortat, don't think twice. Maybe his health is still not right, but man is he soft, soft, soft. There was 2 on 1 fast break Rondo with the ball goes up the middle JG on the left instead of heading to the hoop goes to the left corner for a three, and Rondo misses a guarded layp. 3) I won't call it chemistry; but the team just doesn't look right on both sides of the court and in transition.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

true but this is happening almost every night....its not like this defensive scheme is rocket science....its about help hedge and move....and since we have better athletes you would think that the D would be better....

Not true.

?

Doc's defensive scheme is like Rocket science. The way the Celts play defense is the reason why they were such a great defensive team since KG came to Boston in 2007. It's not easy to learn, it's more complicated than help, hedge, and move.

First of all its not Docs scheme but even so, what is it that is so complicated?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Great article (written in 2011) about the C's (and Heat) defensive philosophy:

http://hoopspeak.com/2011/04/comparing-the-heat-and-celtics-defensive-philosophies/

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

Its not only rebounding  but its also their defense... where did one of the best defensive teams last year go??  The Spurs are shooting over 56% from the floor.....not acceptable... 

That's because many here refuse to believe that if you lose 70% of your players from last season's team, you're rebuilding! 

Why?

Because team chemistry has to be rebuilt also!

All those watching on Comcast with Mike, Tommy, and Scal, you heard them saying the new players are not doing what they're supposed to be doing.

This is not NBA 2K13. The real NBA needs the real players to master the system and learn to play with their new teammates.

I don't think its that difficult t understand that you keep your eye on the ball, in case somebody gets beat, you help out or to defend the pick and roll..Or you bock your man out to rebound. These guys have been playingin the nba for a while. They are not rookies...

Sections
Shortcuts