Game Thread - Celtics vs. Wizards. 04.11.11

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dino1980. Show dino1980's posts

Re: Game Thread - Celtics vs. Wizards. 04.11.11

In Response to Re: Game Thread - Celtics vs. Wizards. 04.11.11:
    Dino, I think you're a little hard on Green.  Just my opinion.  Our team has been screwed all year with injuries.  No other team has been hit so hard.  That's why I can't blame anyone.  I understand your frustrations with Green and Ainge, but it's like this team was cursed sometime at the beginning of this year.  I have never seen anything like it.
    Posted by MsLithium21

Well in Baseball the Marlins won it all then blew up the team!   Hence Josh Beckett and Mike Lowell in Boston....but you have to switch sports to find a decent comparison

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

In Response to Re: Game Thread - Celtics vs. Wizards. 04.11.11 : Nope. Bavetta blew it when they were up 6 with a minute left by calling a foul on a 3 that did not exist.
    Posted by tompenny

I'm with you there.  Bavetta IS Italian for Blind.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dino1980. Show dino1980's posts

Dino, I think you're a little hard on Green.  Just my opinion.  Our team has been screwed all year with injuries.  No other team has been hit so hard.  That's why I can't blame anyone.  I understand your frustrations with Green and Ainge, but it's like this team was cursed sometime at the beginning of this year.  I have never seen anything like it.
    Posted by MsLithium21

I had to edit my comment because Washburn was talking about the Von Wafer play at the very end of the game!  I typed Green by mistake.

I don't blame Green, it's not his fault he's backing up Paul Pierce.  He could be more productive with more minutes, but who do you take off the court?  I'm not a fan of the transaction but again, not Green's fault!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KGLove. Show KGLove's posts

In Response to Re: Game Thread - Celtics vs. Wizards. 04.11.11 : For the record, one guy never loses it for you in a team game!  You could look at anyone and say they could have been the difference in a close game! What if Baby took better, high percentage shots??
    Posted by dino1980

Wafer is the reason we went into OT instead of winning in regulation .... cant say why we lost in OT cause i was too disgusted to watch....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

In Response to Re: Game Thread - Celtics vs. Wizards. 04.11.11 : For the record, one guy never loses it for you in a team game!  You could look at anyone and say they could have been the difference in a close game! What if Baby took better, high percentage shots??
    Posted by dino1980

I agree with that. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

Ohhh-K... gotcha!  I feel badly for Wafer.  He seemed to be crushed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dino1980. Show dino1980's posts

Ohhh-K... gotcha!  I feel badly for Wafer.  He seemed to be crushed.
    Posted by MsLithium21

For the record I like both Green and Wafer.  Both guys can run the floor and shoot.  You put them with Rondo in a fast break situation and it spells trouble.

Green will be much better next year after a training camp where he can actually learn the plays!! His defense needs to improve a bit, but I think we've talked about that before...he's smart and athletic, he just needs to learn where to be on that end of the floor.

The transaction was bad because we traded a starter for 'the best player in the trade' who now comes off our bench!  Still not Green's fault that it happened.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

I agree with all of that.  Obviously they were wrongly assuming Shaq would be back imminently, making it a moot point.  I would have certainly preferred that we make a simple trade, role player for role player - send one of our back-up guards to another team for one of their back-up small forwards.  I can only imagine that Danny was just trying to maximize the number of healthy bodies.  I'm more angry about all the injuries than at our GM, though.  We were leading the East at the time, and maybe we would have held on but we don't know for sure.  The starters were already starting to wear thin from all the minutes.

All I can say right now is that this is worse than cheering for the Red Sox during the Curse of Bambino days.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

I partially agree with it. green is actually a pretty good defender at the three. he get's abused at the four. Problem is if he is just at the 3 he just get's to spell Pierce and little time on floor. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dino1980. Show dino1980's posts

I partially agree with it. green is actually a pretty good defender at the three. he get's abused at the four. Problem is if he is just at the 3 he just get's to spell Pierce and little time on floor. 
    Posted by jtkl

That's true, he just misses his rotations when the other team moves the ball well.  He'll get it!!

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

Kirk, I think we're all just in pain because we lost.  Green will start eventually... and mark my words, Wafer will become a great clutch player after THIS!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dino1980. Show dino1980's posts

I am a little confused here. Green had 20 points and 15 rebounds and was a +10 tonight. Wafer was a +21. Why all the whinning? I think tonight showed what I have said all along. Green should start at the 3 with Pierce at the 2. Green is a better player than Ray Allen is at this point in his career. And Wafer played really well tonight, as he usually does.
    Posted by Kirk6

No whining, just a healthy debate.  Nobody thinks Green is a bad player and nobody has said he played bad tonight.  He would be better with more minutes!!

We did debate the validity of the +/- stat. 

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

I was at the game tonight.  Had a front row seat.  For those who love for Wafer, Murphy, and Arroyo to get more playing time.....we saw them tonight against a last place team that was missing 3 of its top players and had d - leaguers as subs.  Arroyo was slow and made dumb plays.   Until tonight, I couldn't figure out why Wafer didn't get more minutes.  Its no longer a question in my mind.

For those who were so excited about getting Murphy and I kept asking why would we be excited about a Nets castoff.....tonight shows why.  Wow was he terrible.  I watched his shots and he was so far off line it was ridiculous.

West, BBD, and Green will do well as subs for the starters in a playoff rotation.  Krstic and JON will also help.    The rest of the bench can stay home and not even attend the games.  Sasha, Murphy, Arroyo, Bradley, and even Wafer just have low basketball IQ.  Sorry folks, but its true.

If West doesn't come back, we REALLY will be losing a great help man.  He could have been our best bench player this year.  This kid is really good - shoots, plays good D, good heady plays on the court.  Wow.  I really liked his game.

Our season is going to come down to Shaq, though.  I have faith in Rondo, Ray, Paul, KG, West, BBD, and Green.  They will play with heart, play smart, and play well.  But, without a Center, we're in real trouble.  KG just is not strong enough to play Center and BBD is too small for long stretches.  Danny took a gamble and right now, his gamble looks stupid.  I hope Shaq comes back and we can all call Danny smart.  PLEASE, Shaq - get healthy.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

Very, very well said.  I hope Shaq and West get well enough to make Danny look like a genius!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Green-Islander. Show Green-Islander's posts

was just watching the game highlights a while ago and i think it was smithy(?) who said the line of the year..

"a bonehead play"

lol

i'd still give credit to the bench for the 1st four quarters. in the last minute of the fourth and in the overtime though... :/

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

Let me guess, was the "bonehead play" a missed dunk and its immediate aftermath?  Going out on a limb here...  Wink

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Green-Islander. Show Green-Islander's posts

sadly, yea. the missed dunk was forgivable, he drove hard and if it went through that couldve jolted the team back to full energy and all. but it was that thing after that missed dunk that bothered me the most, JO couldve made an easy lay in even with a defender there, or get a foul.

but no, wafer had to do that thing and walk backwards not looking where the ball is. whew. :/

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

I was at the game tonight.  Had a front row seat.  For those who love for Wafer, Murphy, and Arroyo to get more playing time.....we saw them tonight against a last place team that was missing 3 of its top players and had d - leaguers as subs.  Arroyo was slow and made dumb plays.   Until tonight, I couldn't figure out why Wafer didn't get more minutes.  Its no longer a question in my mind. For those who were so excited about getting Murphy and I kept asking why would we be excited about a Nets castoff.....tonight shows why.  Wow was he terrible.  I watched his shots and he was so far off line it was ridiculous. West, BBD, and Green will do well as subs for the starters in a playoff rotation.  Krstic and JON will also help.    The rest of the bench can stay home and not even attend the games.  Sasha, Murphy, Arroyo, Bradley, and even Wafer just have low basketball IQ.  Sorry folks, but its true. If West doesn't come back, we REALLY will be losing a great help man.  He could have been our best bench player this year.  This kid is really good - shoots, plays good D, good heady plays on the court.  Wow.  I really liked his game. Our season is going to come down to Shaq, though.  I have faith in Rondo, Ray, Paul, KG, West, BBD, and Green.  They will play with heart, play smart, and play well.  But, without a Center, we're in real trouble.  KG just is not strong enough to play Center and BBD is too small for long stretches.  Danny took a gamble and right now, his gamble looks stupid.  I hope Shaq comes back and we can all call Danny smart.  PLEASE, Shaq - get healthy.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life

Celtsfan4life, I too was at the game last night and I could not agree with you more.  Murphy's shot was never on line.  Every time he shot, he was way off.

I will say one thing though.  I was very disappointed that KG and Rondo did not sit on the bench.  It seemed that each time there was a timeout, Ray was the first person off the bench to provide encouragement.  There was one moment during a free throw when Ray was tutoring Wafer near the Celtics bench.  That kind of bench participation is invaluable especially at a time when developing chemistry is so paramount.

Maybe it's me but this is NOT the time to be about "oneself".  This is the time to be about "team" and for KG and Rondo to NOT even sit on the bench to provide guidance and encouragement to the guys on the court did not sit well with me.

There were several moments where Rondo could have calmed Bradley and/or Arroyo but he was nowhere to be found.

Watching ESPN's "The Association" when Shaq stayed in the locker room during the Sixers game, I just don't see why Doc allows that.  There is NO reason whatsoever for that to occur.  If a player is with the team, especially at a road game, he should be required to sit with his teammates on the bench.  If he does not have a blazer or jacket, then he should suit up like Pierce and Ray, observe the play and help out where applicable.

There is NOTHING being done in the locker room during games by players who aren't playing.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

I am a little confused here. Green had 20 points and 15 rebounds and was a +10 tonight. Wafer was a +21. Why all the whinning? I think tonight showed what I have said all along. Green should start at the 3 with Pierce at the 2. Green is a better player than Ray Allen is at this point in his career. And Wafer played really well tonight, as he usually does.
    Posted by Kirk6

They have tried it and defensively it got torched. What worked defensively was Green and Allen in at the same time.  Not sure why. maybe Pierce has trouble guarding smaller quicker 2 guards.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

In Response to Re: Game Thread - Celtics vs. Wizards. 04.11.11 : Celtsfan4life, I too was at the game last night and I could not agree with you more.  Murphy's shot was never on line.  Every time he shot, he was way off. I will say one thing though.  I was very disappointed that KG and Rondo did not sit on the bench.  It seemed that each time there was a timeout, Ray was the first person off the bench to provide encouragement.  There was one moment during a free throw when Ray was tutoring Wafer near the Celtics bench.  That kind of bench participation is invaluable especially at a time when developing chemistry is so paramount. Maybe it's me but this is NOT the time to be about "oneself".  This is the time to be about "team" and for KG and Rondo to NOT even sit on the bench to provide guidance and encouragement to the guys on the court did not sit well with me. There were several moments where Rondo could have calmed Bradley and/or Arroyo but he was nowhere to be found. Watching ESPN's "The Association" when Shaq stayed in the locker room during the Sixers game, I just don't see why Doc allows that.  There is NO reason whatsoever for that to occur.  If a player is with the team, especially at a road game, he should be required to sit with his teammates on the bench.  If he does not have a blazer or jacket, then he should suit up like Pierce and Ray, observe the play and help out where applicable. There is NOTHING being done in the locker room during games by players who aren't playing.
    Posted by Petey62

I hear and agree with what you're saying on all of this, though I'd like to believe that there may have been extenuating circumstances for Rondo and KG last night.  What sticks with me the most is that Ray was so involved in coaching and encouraging his teammates!  I would LOVE to see him as OUR head coach in maybe 10 years!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

I noticed that, too, Ms. L.  There was one huddle near the end that was composed of the five players in the game plus Allen. 

I just finished watching last night's game, and as I posted in another thread, the most encouraging thing I took away from last night's game is that Jermaine showed he's ready to play significant minutes in the playoffs. Previous to last night, I was worried that Doc wasn't giving him enough minutes to get into game shape. It seems now that if Shaq is unable show up, Jermaine will be a more than capable starter. If Shaq is in fact able to provide twenty minutes, we'll be in great shape at the five.

Sections
Shortcuts