Game Thread: Celtics vs Wizards

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Re: Game Thread: Celtics vs Wizards

[/QUOTE]

The Celts only allowed the Wiz 86 total pts tonight.

Also, the Wiz only shot 30% from 3pt land and 43.6% overall.

[/QUOTE]

While the Cs shot  even worse.... 42.9% overall.

The Wiz bench outplayed the Cs starters... and came within a hair's breadth of winning.

Pud

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattc355. Show mattc355's posts

_

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to Fiercest34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to prakash's comment:
    [QUOTE]

YES!! YES!! YESSSS!!! They won!  THEY WON!!!  Rejoice.

Ooops!

Oh well!  There is a lot of work to be done here.  The Celts absolutely have to get Terry involved.  They don't have enough scoring otherwise.  Rondo has to take up a bigger scoring role.  In Ray's absence, the defense is simply cheating and clogging up the middle.  Plus, they can focus on Paul Pierce.

[/QUOTE]

Not going to happen once Sully gets more touches in the paint.

Also, Green only played 16 minutes and he had 11 pts. Once Doc figures out how to maximize Green's abilities, the opposing team will pay if they cheat on defense.

[/QUOTE]

Fierce, I don't get this one.  Sully is not a dominant 1-1 player in the paint.  Plus, even dominant 1-1 players need outside shooters to spread the floor.  With Rondo, the spacing is not there.  Sully can work one defender.  But he can't manage multiple collapsing on him.

This is going to be a tough one.  If Doc tries to install a ball movement system, I am not sure of the creatative and passing skills of others.  Then Rondo is not a shooter.  At the same time, Doc does not have the shooters/scorers to keep the old system.

It looks to me like the Celts will have to keep the system from last year.  That means that they will not be a running team.  It also means that the defensive schemes need to be worked out.  At this point I see too many issues.  The pieces are not fitting.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

In response to Neal Page's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Come on people, April is still 5 months away. We're not even sure if the Celts will keep this roster intact.

Great win tonight because the Celts were able to win an ugly game. The Celts shot poorly, Lee and Terry kept missing open shots.

Remember, one of the characteristics of a great team is the ability to win ugly games.

[/QUOTE]

I am not trying to be THAT guy who starts calling people homers, but I can tell you're an apologist a little bit.  I get that it's early, but this is ridiculous.  I don't mind losing games, but this lackadaisical routine is a joke.

Call it like it is. That's unacceptable in terms of passion, attitude and energy.  They look they are playing a throwaway game in Maine in preseason. The turnovers are brutal, the energy lacks and they have no D in the paint whatsoever.

Run them out of the gym at next practice. That includes Garnett and Pierce. Wake up. I am shocked they're this lazy about it.

[/QUOTE]

In that case, you can call me an apologist too.

Two embarassing losses followed by an embarassing win.

Most of the pro and con talk  on the C's is meaningless at this  point, IMO.

Until we get to January, (maybe the next matchup against the Heat, to be specific), I don't think we'll know if we're a strong contender or pretender.

Five reasons why.

1. Doc getting a bead on what  works best. 

2. New players understanding and buying in  to Doc's system.

3. Whether KG is having  the same type of season  he did last year or whether Father Time  has at last caught up with him.

4.  AB's return.  I haven't forgotten  whart he  meant  to the team  last year.

5. Rondo playing  consistently and  not shying away from his weaknesses.

Until then, any judgements on the Celtics are liable  to turn on a dime.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Fierce, I don't get this one.  Sully is not a dominant 1-1 player in the paint.  Plus, even dominant 1-1 players need outside shooters to spread the floor.  With Rondo, the spacing is not there.  Sully can work one defender.  But he can't manage multiple collapsing on him.

This is going to be a tough one.  If Doc tries to install a ball movement system, I am not sure of the creatative and passing skills of others.  Then Rondo is not a shooter.  At the same time, Doc does not have the shooters/scorers to keep the old system.

It looks to me like the Celts will have to keep the system from last year.  That means that they will not be a running team.  It also means that the defensive schemes need to be worked out.  At this point I see too many issues.  The pieces are not fitting.

[/QUOTE]

Too early to make that call (the pieces are not fitting).   These guys have only been together as a team less than a couple of months including training camp and pre-season.   At this point last year, I think they were 0 and 3 and look how it turned out.  Its early in the season, man.  Don't panic.

Heck, Lakers started out  0 and 3.  Heat get beat by 20 in their second game.   Nets barely get by Toronto at home.   Its early season, man!  This is the NBA - any and everything happens early in the season!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to Petey62's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I am about to head down to the Verizon Center for the game but I figured I'd kick this off first (and right).

I think the Celtics were waiting for me to attend the game to start the winning. Ok, let's get it "crackin" tonight.

Let's put it all together and get our first win. Everybody have fun and I look forward to reading the thread when I get back.

Go Celtics......

[/QUOTE]
    It is a good sign when you start these game day threads. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Until we get to January, (maybe the next matchup against the Heat, to be specific), I don't think we'll know if we're a strong contender or pretender.

Five reasons why.

3. Whether KG is having  the same type of season  he did last year or whether Father Time  has at last caught up with him.

[/QUOTE]

Great analysis and comments.   C's will be fine - just takes time.   Only person I'm a little upset with is Terry.   He talks a big game and has not delivered....looking lost.  Ray has lit it up 2 of the 3 Heat games and Terry looks lost.   If he's going to be the replacement and even an improvement, he has to step it up!

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to breaktime's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Come on people, April is still 5 months away. We're not even sure if the Celts will keep this roster intact.

Great win tonight because the Celts were able to win an ugly game. The Celts shot poorly, Lee and Terry kept missing open shots.

Remember, one of the characteristics of a great team is the ability to win ugly games.

[/QUOTE]

I am not trying to be THAT guy who starts calling people homers, but I can tell you're an apologist a little bit.  I get that it's early, but this is ridiculous.  I don't mind losing games, but this lackadaisical routine is a joke.

Call it like it is. That's unacceptable in terms of passion, attitude and energy.  They look they are playing a throwaway game in Maine in preseason. The turnovers are brutal, the energy lacks and they have no D in the paint whatsoever.

Run them out of the gym at next practice. That includes Garnett and Pierce. Wake up. I am shocked they're this lazy about it.

[/QUOTE]

Five reasons why.

[/QUOTE]

Generally agree, but that doesn't have anything to do with no defense in Game 1, limited effort in Game 2 and another weak effort in Game 3.

You can make excuses against the Miamis, but seriously, that kind of a problem in the home opener tonight? Does this team have a pulse?    They're loaded beyond belief and just barely beat the Wizards when they laid an egg in the home opener. They should have refunded the fans last night for crying out loud.

Please don't go overboard. That was bad. Very bad.   They just made arguably the worst team in the Eastern Conf look like a good team due to lack of effort.

Keep in mind Doc clearly babied Pierce and Garnett last night for this game right here, knowing it was a back to back situation and being on the road. 

But, that's it.   The fact is, you can't tapdance around what your team is.  If Doc goes into FrancomaLand babying these guys, they won't be winning anything. Be careful. You have to have an attitude and create an identity as a team. These guys have been cocky all preseason.

[/QUOTE]

God, I hate what BDC does when  you reply to a post.

I think 90% of the C fans here  agree the team looks like sh*t so far.

If we  haven't seen them playing up to their potential after 10 games, you'll see a "blow it up" thread posted.  But, barring serious injury to a  key player,  I'm waiting one week post AB's return to seriously analyze this team.

Too many new parts and too early.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

I thought Barbosa, Terry, Bass, Lee and Wilcox were terrible.................Green came around a little, but how in God's name can he step out of bounds on that 3 point attempt??  Makes me nuts.

Sully was okay, but I was hoping for a little more.....guess I need to be patient!

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to Celtsfan4life's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Too early to make that call (the pieces are not fitting).   These guys have only been together as a team less than a couple of months including training camp and pre-season.   At this point last year, I think they were 0 and 3 and look how it turned out.  Its early in the season, man.  Don't panic.

Heck, Lakers started out  0 and 3.  Heat get beat by 20 in their second game.   Nets barely get by Toronto at home.   Its early season, man!  This is the NBA - any and everything happens early in the season!

[/QUOTE]

My concern is that so far, KG, Pierce and Ray have had to adjust their game to incorporate Rondo with his brilliance and his limitations.  This time, it will be imperative that Rondo adjusts his game somewhat.

Yes, it is early and I am ready to be patient.  I hope that Doc just stays with Sully and lets him build his confidence and presence.  I hope that Green keeps building his confidence and becomes a strong contributor.  I hope that Avery Bradley will return with his defensive presence and a shot.  I hope that the Celts can make a trade for a big.  There is just a lot that has to happen.  I am not panicking.  I am just looking at everything that needs to happen and wondering if all of that will fall into place.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Celtics are a talented team.  It's a long way from May.  People need to chill a tad.  It's way too early to get too high or too low.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  Last year people were trying to trade Garnett when they started out poorly.

They will compete and probably be in the Eastern finals.

But I think it is pretty clear that Jeff Green is not very good.  He wasn't very good before his medical emergency and he is not very good after it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I thought Barbosa, Terry, Bass, Lee and Wilcox were terrible.................Green came around a little, but how in God's name can he step out of bounds on that 3 point attempt??  Makes me nuts.

Sully was okay, but I was hoping for a little more.....guess I need to be patient!

[/QUOTE]

On Green, I think just about every 3 point shooter has stepped out of bounds at one point or another.  There's not much space on that sideline.  Not a big deal. The Wizards got called on the same thing late in the game.

Our 2 guard position gave us very little last night.   Collectively, they were 5 for 18 including 1 for 9 from 3 pointers (and they were WIDE OPEN 3 pointers most of the time).  This is what shooting guards are supposed to do well!!   Ours didn't last night.

Let's hope it improves in the coming weeks and its just a bad shooting night.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to Celtsfan4life's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Nice post Cfan.  You are correct.  Sully is no where near a dominate 1/1 player at this time.  Doubt he will ever be.  That doesn't mean he can't be a very effective player.  He COULD eventually be a dominant rebounder though.  He is tough and get the right position.  If/when he plays 30 something minutes a game I could see him getting 20 rebounds in a game.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Stepping out of bound irritates the hell out of me.  They are so worried about being behind the line that it costs us to's.  

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In response to OneOnOne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Here is a "new" concept.  Stop taking so many threes and drive to the basket once in a while!!

Stepping out of bound irritates the hell out of me.  They are so worried about being behind the line that it costs us to's.  

[/QUOTE]