Game Thread: Game 2 vs Knicks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

Re: Game Thread: Game 2 vs Knicks

In Response to Re: Game Thread: Game 2 vs Knicks:
    [QUOTE]I think going with baby over JON is a mistake!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted by jdm894g[/QUOTE]couldnt agree moree. doc better wake up! baby cant do anything on defense better than jo. rather jo taking the short jumper as well and for rebounding

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Game Thread: Game 2 vs Knicks : couldnt agree moree. doc better wake up! baby cant do anything on defense better than jo. rather jo taking the short jumper as well and for rebounding
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN[/QUOTE]

That surprised me too.  Was he trying to rest JO?  That's the only explanation I can come up with.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Game Thread: Game 2 vs Knicks : Yes, Jay.  If our starters get any help, we'll win big but our bench is giving us nothing.  BBD and Green are especially doing terribly.  West is doing ok, but not great.   I understand West - he's hurt.   Clearly, Krstic is now in Doc's doghouse and Doc has NO faith in him due to his horrid defense.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

Kind of contradicting post to your previous one! The bench was giving us nothing so why was BBD in the game instead of JO? that to me seems like a bad decision. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Game Thread: Game 2 vs Knicks :   Kind of contradicting post to your previous one! The bench was giving us nothing so why was BBD in the game instead of JO? that to me seems like a bad decision. 
    Posted by cabutan[/QUOTE]

As I said in either this thread or another, I think we should have made them play against our height so I'm in agreement to at least try JON more in that last few minutes.  I understand Doc's logic, however, in believing that BBD was faster to the double team and faster to get back to his man as JON is slow. But, I'd give JON a chance.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Why didnt DOc feel that way in game 1?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

I just got home from work and was really looking forward to watching the recording of the game. My luck, my kids recorded some teenage shows at the same time as the game, therefore the game didn't record. Oh well. I'm happy the C's won. It looks like Rondo had a big game according to the box scores. 
        I don't have to work Friday, so I get to watch it for sure and live.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Game Thread: Game 2 vs Knicks :   Kind of contradicting post to your previous one! The bench was giving us nothing so why was BBD in the game instead of JO? that to me seems like a bad decision. 

And no, Cabutan, its not a conflict.  I still say the bench is giving us little to nothing.   Doc can't give them more minutes if they are giving up leads, fouling, and not bringing the energy.   And this is more true if he puts in the players who are even worse (Murphy, Arroyo, Sasha, etc).   I'd love to be wrong.   Sasha has the best chance of proving me wrong, then Wafer but I'd be willing to bet that they just don't give Doc enough defense in practice to earn minutes.  I hope they get a chance and they deliver, but right now, the bench is not giving us anything.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]Why didnt DOc feel that way in game 1?
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]

Because the problem in game one was Amare who was killing us inside.  height helped in game one.  I'm only guessing but based on his comments post game, I'm guessing he thought speed was necessary this game because the issue was Carmelo outside not Amare going to the hole.

See the difference?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

[QUOTE]I just got home from work and was really looking forward to watching the recording of the game. My luck, my kids recorded some teenage shows at the same time as the game, therefore the game didn't record. Oh well. I'm happy the C's won. It looks like Rondo had a big game according to the box scores.      I don't have to work Friday, so I get to watch it for sure and live.

Posted by mem17[/QUOTE]

Didnt miss anything really. Horrible game by the C's..PP played 0 defense on Melo..Rondo finally pushed the ball all the time which was probably the only good sign.. and Knicks played without Amare and Billups..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Game Thread: Game 2 vs Knicks : And no, Cabutan, its not a conflict.  I still say the bench is giving us little to nothing.   Doc can't give them more minutes if they are giving up leads, fouling, and not bringing the energy.   And this is more true if he puts in the players who are even worse (Murphy, Arroyo, Sasha, etc).   I'd love to be wrong.   Sasha has the best chance of proving me wrong, then Wafer but I'd be willing to bet that they just don't give Doc enough defense in practice to earn minutes.  I hope they get a chance and they deliver, but right now, the bench is not giving us anything.

All along I had trouble watching PP do nothing on Melo. Give 2-4 minutes to Sasha lets say to try to change Melos game for a bit. Some fouls here and there and stop his rythm..Put PP back in..what does any coach has to loos? is only 2-4 mins!!...Delonte comes in and is being guarded by a taller guy..DWest does nothing..not even brings energy..he is not a good match on this series.. Wafer brings energy and so does Sasha and I think they would match way better..either one.. Remember, Sasha can guard multiple positions.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Game Thread: Game 2 vs Knicks : Didnt miss anything really. Horrible game by the C's..PP played 0 defense on Melo..Rondo finally pushed the ball all the time which was probably the only good sign.. and Knicks played without Amare and Billups..

Well, I wouldn't say Pierce did nothing.  I'd say Pierce tried but that Carmelo showed why he is one of the best scorers in the league.  he is phenominal and folks in Boston just don't understand how good this guy is offensively.  There's a reason Carmelo competes for the scoring championship EVERY year and carried his college team to the National Championship in his FRESHMAN year.  Doc waited until late in the game, then double teamed him, made him pass it and kept him from scoring late.   I think you missed a great game from a fan's perspective.  We Celtics fans were driven crazy, but the rest of America saw a knock down drag out war just like the first game.  

Let's give the Knicks their due - they played well and fought hard.  Great performance by Carmelo.  He hit some shots with that quick release and falling sideways that few players can do.

Celtics were not at their best but gritted out another win.  Proud of them for that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MinnesotaCelticsFan. Show MinnesotaCelticsFan's posts

Melo is good, but not this good. He had help. Pierce had a horrible defensive night at the same time that Melo was great.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneNation. Show OneNation's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Game Thread: Game 2 vs Knicks : Well, I wouldn't say Pierce did nothing.  I'd say Pierce tried but that Carmelo showed why he is one of the best scorers in the league.  he is phenominal and folks in Boston just don't understand how good this guy is offensively.  There's a reason Carmelo competes for the scoring championship EVERY year and carried his college team to the National Championship in his FRESHMAN year.  Doc waited until late in the game, then double teamed him, made him pass it and kept him from scoring late.   I think you missed a great game from a fan's perspective.  We Celtics fans were driven crazy, but the rest of America saw a knock down drag out war just like the first game.   Let's give the Knicks their due - they played well and fought hard.  Great performance by Carmelo.  He hit some shots with that quick release and falling sideways that few players can do. Celtics were not at their best but gritted out another win.  Proud of them for that.
    You nailed it Celts. People seem to forget that Paul deystroyed Melo in N.Y. That was literal. These tremendous talents go back and forth. Sometimes, someone becomes unstoppable. What counts are the two wins that Boston has.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Game Thread: Game 2 vs Knicks : All along I had trouble watching PP do nothing on Melo. Give 2-4 minutes to Sasha lets say to try to change Melos game for a bit. Some fouls here and there and stop his rythm..Put PP back in..what does any coach has to loos? is only 2-4 mins!!...Delonte comes in and is being guarded by a taller guy..DWest does nothing..not even brings energy..he is not a good match on this series.. Wafer brings energy and so does Sasha and I think they would match way better..either one.. Remember, Sasha can guard multiple positions.

You could be right.  Maybe that works, maybe it doesn't.  It could be worth a try.

As a AAU coach, I see Doc's point and position, though.  Hard to argue with a win.  You coach for the situation.  You look to see what the other team is taking away from you and what you can take away from them.  I've had games where i try to do the Bill Russell think -  hold the other team close until a critical point in the game, then change something on them that forces them to do something they aren't ready for (in this case, double teaming Carmelo and forcing their weakest offensive player to get the ball).   And....it worked!

When do you run (higher turnover percentage) and when do you slow it down (their defense can set up)?  What player gives you and advantage or can execute the plays or defense you want to play (in this case, who's best at double teams or good on a very quick player).   In some cases, you need a power defender (O'Neal) and some cases you need a quicker guy (Garnett or BBD or Green).  If its Amare or Howard you need height.  If its double teams, you need quickness.  

We could debate it a long time after the fact, but during the game, a coach has to make an immediate decision.  I've been wrong and lost at times.  Sometimes I make the right call.  Sometimes I make the right call and my players don't execute.  A lot goes into winning my friend.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Re: Game Thread: Game 2 vs Knicks : That surprised me too.  Was he trying to rest JO?  That's the only explanation I can come up with.
    Posted by MsLithium21
    problem is that doc has a security blanket fixation with doc. he can not quit him. no matter what jo does, always back to bb. just a familiarity comfort zone. steady and predictable versus the exceptional. jo must play over his head like last game to even be considered. bb just has to be able to fog up a mirror and breathe. almost like doc would rather lose with doc for he could forgive himself more easily than with jo. hey, at least i saw him finally bench rondo at a crucial point of the game. dont believe he was in there when kg made his winning shot. going to west is a big statement. clearly going with green or jo would be an even bigger statement. when shaq was around, he actuallhy went with the big  non-free throw shooting shamrock a few times over bb down the stretch. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickFox17. Show RickFox17's posts

In Response to Re: Game Thread: Game 2 vs Knicks : All along I had trouble watching PP do nothing on Melo. Give 2-4 minutes to Sasha lets say to try to change Melos game for a bit. Some fouls here and there and stop his rythm..Put PP back in..what does any coach has to loos? is only 2-4 mins!!...Delonte comes in and is being guarded by a taller guy..DWest does nothing..not even brings energy..he is not a good match on this series.. Wafer brings energy and so does Sasha and I think they would match way better..either one.. Remember, Sasha can guard multiple positions.
    Posted by cabutan

true and i totally agree.  I am glad we won and also glad rondo plyed better but this was a horrible and emabarrasing win.  We could be 0 and 2 easily but luckily the Knicks dont execute in the end.  We should play Shasha and Wafer. Wafe drives to the basket strong and can shoot.  Sahsha is big and can take some of Grenns minutes.  We got nutting to lose now cause we are up 2 0 against one of the worst defensive team in the NBA.  I am glad also that like i said before that Rondo needs to use his assets which are speed,quickeness and passing cause his jumper is not working.  Good game RR and keep up the fast pace.  KG Step it up and Dwest what s up?  JGreen needs to be more aggressive

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickFox17. Show RickFox17's posts

I did like KG with that last post up move and scored with that baby hook shot.  He needs to do that more instead of that fadeaway jumpshot and not close to basket.  I wish KG would play more in the paint like a big man

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

In Response to Re: Game Thread: Game 2 vs Knicks : problem is that doc has a security blanket fixation with doc. he can not quit him. no matter what jo does, always back to bb. just a familiarity comfort zone. steady and predictable versus the exceptional. jo must play over his head like last game to even be considered. bb just has to be able to fog up a mirror and breathe. almost like doc would rather lose with doc for he could forgive himself more easily than with jo. hey, at least i saw him finally bench rondo at a crucial point of the game. dont believe he was in there when kg made his winning shot. going to west is a big statement. clearly going with green or jo would be an even bigger statement. when shaq was around, he actuallhy went with the big  non-free throw shooting shamrock a few times over bb down the stretch. 
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN

Good points on all fronts.  I'm happy to come away with a win, but I did hold my breath seeing Baby in lieu of JO.  I love Baby and he held his own, but I'd thought JO had proven his late game worth in Game 1.  Interesting point about going with West in the last seconds line-up.  Turns out Rondo was in there too.  They were running a 3 guard/2 forward line-up, comprised of the Big 4 and West.  I'm thinking Doc wanted someone to bring up the ball who had a good chance of hitting his foul shots, and THAT paid off!  Smile

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Game Thread: Game 2 vs Knicks : Good points on all fronts.  I'm happy to come away with a win, but I did hold my breath seeing Baby in lieu of JO.  I love Baby and he held his own, but I'd thought JO had proven his late game worth in Game 1.  Interesting point about going with West in the last seconds line-up.  Turns out Rondo was in there too.  They were running a 3 guard/2 forward line-up, comprised of the Big 4 and West.  I'm thinking Doc wanted someone to bring up the ball who had a good chance of hitting his foul shots, and THAT paid off! 
    Posted by MsLithium21[/QUOTE]absolutely love your avatar, is that actually YOU?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Game Thread: Game 2 vs Knicks : absolutely love your avatar, is that actually YOU?
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN[/QUOTE]

Thank you CC!  Yes, that is me, honest to God!  Smile

Sections
Shortcuts