Garnett now a part time role player

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

Garnett now a part time role player

Garnett is now a part time role player for 11 million a year.  23 minutes last night.  Good thing we are saving him for the playoffs.  Love seeing the Celtics raise the white flag early in these games and say, "Well, it's obvious we are not going to beat you, so we'll rest KG for the playoffs."  Blow it up now.  This team does not have enough talent to afford the luxury of a 11 million dollar role player.  We need guys who can play 40 minutes a game.  Trade him to Minnesota for Kirilenko and Derrick Williams.  He'll agree to that trade.  It elevates Minnesota and it helps the Celtics.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

Re: Garnett now a part time role player

In response to Fierce34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to teejaytee70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Garnett is now a part time role player for 11 million a year.  23 minutes last night.  Good thing we are saving him for the playoffs.  Love seeing the Celtics raise the white flag early in these games and say, "Well, it's obvious we are not going to beat you, so we'll rest KG for the playoffs."  Blow it up now.  This team does not have enough talent to afford the luxury of a 11 million dollar role player.  We need guys who can play 40 minutes a game.  Trade him to Minnesota for Kirilenko and Derrick Williams.  He'll agree to that trade.  It elevates Minnesota and it helps the Celtics.

[/QUOTE]

In past interviews, KG said he doesn't want to go back to Minny.

Also, KG has a no trade clause in his contract. That's the Celtics way of saying you'll not have to worry about being traded.

[/QUOTE]

You do understand that a player can waive a no trade clause, right?  Does he really want to end his career toiling in Boston irrelevancy or go to a team he could make into a contender?

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to damfuno's comment:
    [QUOTE]

All true enough but if the Celtics keep playing with the lackluster jump shooting team they are the Boston fans will not tolerate it and the boo birds will be flocking more that the swallows of Capistrano.......I believe that the Boston fans are maybe second behind the Philadelphia fans as far as expectations of having an elite team.......and as we stand now we are far far away from being an elite team........no owner wants to see his team on national TV get booed for poor uninspired performance

[/QUOTE]

Jan. 15 is less than 3 weeks away. A change will be coming.

[/QUOTE]

Celtics don't really have all that much to offer, though.  I love the pie-in-the-sky trades that get thrown back and forth on this board where the Celtics get the best players for garbage (Lee and Bass).  Here are the players who have value on the Celtics - Rondo, Pierce (market limited-only contending teams will be interested in him and the money would be difficult to match), KG, Sullinger, and MAYBE Green, but he's soft as the day is long.  Green can score when he wants to, but he doesn't really do too much else.  Avery Bradley too, but I wouldn't trade him or Sully because they are part of the solution, not the problem.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

KG told Danny and Doc 11 million is worth 20+ minutes a game!!  He's still one of the highest paid players in the league if you go by minutes played!! That KG is one smart dude!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

In response to teejaytee70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

All true enough but if the Celtics keep playing with the lackluster jump shooting team they are the Boston fans will not tolerate it and the boo birds will be flocking more that the swallows of Capistrano.......I believe that the Boston fans are maybe second behind the Philadelphia fans as far as expectations of having an elite team.......and as we stand now we are far far away from being an elite team........no owner wants to see his team on national TV get booed for poor uninspired performance

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Celtics don't really have all that much to offer, though.  I love the pie-in-the-sky trades that get thrown back and forth on this board where the Celtics get the best players for garbage (Lee and Bass).  Here are the players who have value on the Celtics - Rondo, Pierce (market limited-only contending teams will be interested in him and the money would be difficult to match), KG, Sullinger, and MAYBE Green, but he's soft as the day is long.  Green can score when he wants to, but he doesn't really do too much else.  Avery Bradley too, but I wouldn't trade him or Sully because they are part of the solution, not the problem.

[/QUOTE]

"I love the pie-in-the-sky trades that get thrown back and forth on this board where the Celtics get the best players for garbage (Lee and Bass)."

Teejaytee70's above quote

Its all part of the "Dream World" senario that the hometown fans concoct that will turn-a- round the season for the Celts. Fantasy land trades by fantasy land General Managers. Same senario is probably going on in all the other franchises that are struggling. Its a national pastime for those who want to play general manager.

Seems 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Garnett was paid after his performance in leading the Celtics to one game before the finals. He would be very valuable if we could make a playoff run and would play more than he is now on road.

What is troubling is that we can't make a trade to get a player of impact upfront.  It just seems that the idea that Pierce is the go to guy is what killed us.  Hold on not attacking Pierce, what I am saying is the opposing teams focus on Pierce and he just cannot get good looks.  Rondo has not taken on more of the offensive load.  We truly have to think of moving some big pieces.  Bradley's return which is so anticipated will not mask how thin this team is in the offensive category.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to kyceltic's comment:
    [QUOTE]

KG told Danny and Doc 11 million is worth 20+ minutes a game!!  He's still one of the highest paid players in the league if you go by minutes played!! That KG is one smart dude!!

[/QUOTE]
    You are right.  If KG had agreed to resign with the Celtics for a much lower amount, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.  Maybe some of you remember a thread about KG resigning for 1/2 or even less than what he is being paid.  Most Celtics fans didn't believe this was even a realistic discussion.  Just Acie and myself.  It would have left the Celtics with a substantial amount to sign someone else. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

In past interviews, KG said he doesn't want to go back to Minny.

Also, KG has a no trade clause in his contract. That's the Celtics way of saying you'll not have to worry about being traded.

[/QUOTE]

it's never to late to get him to agree to a CHEAP buyout or roll some tape of him stinking and respectfully ask him to waive the trade clause and work out some deal where you get rid of him and pay part of his salary.

1200 or 1300 games into his career, KG's ship has sailed.  especially as trying to fake a 5 and being THE ONLY REBOUNDER ON THE FLOOR- what a ridiculous idea.  bass is awful, he plays 3 inches less than his size just like green plays 5 inches less than his size.

ainge has a lot to answer for assembling this troupe of stiffs and actually slapping a 'we're going to try to win it all' label on it one more time.  especially with a drone like rivers as a coach.  you need to get imaginative when you get old- yet buckle down and define roles early and often, not the doc ADD every night is different crap

the only ROLE doc defined this year was that bass is not to go in and try to post up.  brilliant!  you see how bass' game has withered up and died.  doc is really a smart guy!!  after all, we have OLD PIERCE and OLD GARNETT- we have SO MUCH overabundance of talent in the post!!!  bass is ugly to look at down there but he can make a couple of moves and draw LOTS of fouls shots in short order.

and the last point is MORE IMPORTANT than many will ever realize.  we are in the basement of the league, again, in FTA per game.  FT's allow for REST for an old team- better yet, let's have YOUNG GUYS like bass and rondo draw the fouls instead of putting pierce and KG in the hack-o-matic to tire THEM out.

really, it's not rocket science.  doc and danny have come up dividing by zero on a roster and coaching method once again.  doc has no coaching method- just throw it together and see what it does and then tinker the crap out of it.  jeff green's really THRIVING under this system!  green has serious apparent issues with heart and desire since he's left OKC to begin with!!!  we don't need to role shift him night to night!

ahh, but who cares, right?  ubuntu!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to susan250's comment:
    [QUOTE]

d players in the league if you go by minutes played!! That KG is one smart dude!!

[/QUOTE]
    You are right.  If KG had agreed to resign with the Celtics for a much lower amount, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.  Maybe some of you remember a thread about KG resigning for 1/2 or even less than what he is being paid.  Most Celtics fans didn't believe this was even a realistic discussion.  Just Acie and myself.  It would have left the Celtics with a substantial amount to sign someone else. 

[/QUOTE]

well thank you- i am often colored a lunatic for not wearing company line rose colored glasses.  i saw what shaq signed for, both shaq and kg have earned well OVER THREE HUNDRED MILLION and don't need the money, so i says- "why wouldn't garnett have signed for 2 million"?

and unfortunately the answer seems to be that ainge was too much of a pansy to forward that notion to him.  and then even stupider yet to let steamer walk and think JASON COLLINS was going to do anything for us, then watching doc ice out DARKO and then it's KG the 11 million psychologically and physically exhaused 37 year old center (with no support wiping the glass at the 4 spot other than sullinger) we have.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Acie, sometimes you make some good points but saying Bass can post anyone is not one of your better points.  He STUNT in post ups.   And saying Doc made a bad decision to restrict Bass's post ups?  That's an even worse assertion.   Stop trying to blame every single little problem on Doc.  He has his faults, but Bass's inability to post up is not a Doc issue.

KG is wire thin and older and he's not going to post up.  Bass has no post up skills.  Green is tall enough but he's a finesse player without the fire in his belly so he's not the solution.  Net, net,.....we don't have the talent for post ups on our team (and inside rebounding) and that's why we are all cola mourning for a trade.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Let's hope it's a good Change.   From past performance, it's not always clear Danny will do a GOOD trade vs just a trade.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to Celtsfan4life's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Acie, sometimes you make some good points but saying Bass can post anyone is not one of your better points.  He STUNT in post ups.   And saying Doc made a bad decision to restrict Bass's post ups?  That's an even worse assertion.   Stop trying to blame every single little problem on Doc.  He has his faults, but Bass's inability to post up is not a Doc issue.

[/QUOTE]

listen, i am no fan of bass in the post, but he CAN DRAW FOULS.  in fact, if you know a bit about basketball, what is the ONE THING that a coach (with a brain) will urge a player to do when they are "COLD" from the field.  GET FOULED, go to the line while the music is stopped and get a couple of makes OR get inside and get a close range shot- layup- put something in the hole so you have something to build on.

i never forwarded the idea that bass as a mainstay in the post was a good idea- he's not main feature material, never was and never will be.  but READ the article on boston.com from last fall where bass notes that his role has CHANGED and that doc told him to not go into the post this year and be a floor spreader. 

then check bass's FTA stats for this year- WORST OF HIS CAREER.  cause and effect?  yes.

i said bass is awkward to watch in the post but he does have a drop step that occasionally works and is a  dynamite free throw shooter and CAN draw fouls.  he has some of the same problems that davis had regarding shots blocked but the DRAWING FOULS and getting free throws so the vets can rest and NOT have to shoot what few free throws we get-

i'd like a panel of b-ball rhodes scholars to analyze WHY would doc totally disable that aspect of his game?  there is no good reason.  you give bass a FEW post up looks a game to KEEP his FTA up so he ALWAYS HAS A STEADY STREAM of things to do that he is OVER 80% SUCCESSFULL AT- since the removal of that aspect of his game, that is not great, but somewhat functional, his game has fallen off a cliff.

not even reading the tea leaves here, just reporting the facts!

http://youtu.be/fA3k7MQwKAg

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

KG is not the problem. He is at 15 and seven rebounds a game.  If the game is competitive he will play longer.  The problem is everybody else.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

In response to concord27's comment:
    [QUOTE]

KG is not the problem. He is at 15 and seven rebounds a game.  If the game is competitive he will play longer.  The problem is everybody else.

[/QUOTE

KG is a HUGE part of the problem.  26 minutes against the Clippers.  23 against Golden State.  Scalabrine is even questioning this.  He's not helping if he's not on the floor.  And let's be honest, he was playing for a contract last year - that's why he was playing in the low post.  Well, he suckered the Celtics into a new contract and now his games back outside where it's nice and easy.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Acie - look at the REASON that Doc told Bass not to post up.  When he does, he draws a foul sometimes.  However, he often loses the ball, makes a bad pass out of the double team, or the ball sticks and we get no movement.   I believe the ball should move quickly and we'll get more open shots.  That's the offense that worked for us when the big 3 first got here.  Now, the ball sticks - due to Rondo, primarily, but also due to the fact that any of our post move guys are very slow to make their move.  KG is the only one who'll make the move or pass.  Green takes forever to make up his mind, Bass takes forever to make the move, and Rondo just bounces the ball.   

I'm with Doc - I don't want Bass posting up.  I want the ball to move quickly.

I know you dislike Rondo's ball dribbling more than me, but I think that's why Doc is trying to encourage the whole team to move the ball more and to run more.   His point guard just isn't listening (coupled with the fact that its hard to run when you don't rebound!).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

Garnett is the least the of Cs problems these days. Let us start with the coach Doc Rivers. Seriously, you can't get your or teach your team how to rebound. Seriously. I remember outrebounding teams growing up way bigger than us. How you ask, BOX out your man. It is just embarrarssing to watch this team get beat to what feels like every available rebound. Pierce is the part time player these days. Terry is not even a shell of himself. I would be fine seeing Green, Bass, Pierce and Terry hit the road. I know Pierce has been a C all his life, but he just does not have it anymore. This team is just a .500 team no matter how you slice it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]

I'm with Doc - I don't want Bass posting up.  I want the ball to move quickly.

I know you dislike Rondo's ball dribbling more than me, but I think that's why Doc is trying to encourage the whole team to move the ball more and to run more.   His point guard just isn't listening (coupled with the fact that its hard to run when you don't rebound!).

[/QUOTE]

well, you have to work with what you have.  obviously the zero post up game restriction is benefitting neither the celtics nor bass.  you at least want to have a man playing to his salary level of $6M, right?  just so you could trade them if need be?  right now bass and green COMBINED are not playing to a $6M salary level. 

we HAVE to get bass the ball in varying spots, not just as an outside shooter stiff- absolutley ZERO good / great power forwards in the game have been banned from the paint- that's a ridiculous premise!!! 

what the hell, we've got enough ball stopping going on with rondo right now, who draws ZERO FOULS per game due to his apathy and personal agenda of (?) that doesn't rhyme with playing to his full potential. 

ALL I AM SAYING IS GIVE FREAKING BASS THREE POST UP LOOKS A GAME- he'll score one and get fouled on one- those are his efficiency stats in the post!!!  why are you hell bent on RONDO doing all the ball stopping and turnovers for this team?!!!  give bass some practice in the post and he might even get into a rhythm!

in the past i have observed the more action that you give bass, the less herky jerky and bumble prone he is and the MORE he can actually receive easy dishes from KG who is a very good passer for a big man!!!

honestly, i don't know what is so complex about the notion of a 4, ANY FOUR, getting a few post touches in a game, especially when their strictly perimeter and UNNATURALLY 100% perimeter existence is FAILING them and the team

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to antiqueman1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Garnett is the least the of Cs problems these days. Let us start with the coach Doc Rivers. Seriously, you can't get your or teach your team how to rebound. Seriously. I remember outrebounding teams growing up way bigger than us. How you ask, BOX out your man. It is just embarrarssing to watch this team get beat to what feels like every available rebound. Pierce is the part time player these days. Terry is not even a shell of himself. I would be fine seeing Green, Bass, Pierce and Terry hit the road. I know Pierce has been a C all his life, but he just does not have it anymore. This team is just a .500 team no matter how you slice it.

[/QUOTE]

just one question- how and why did the team get rid of the best big man coach in the game = clifford ray? 

answer: under the SLEAZIEST of circumstances, ray needed to have foot surgery and the celts basically dumped him in a swamp, possibly because he was cramping rivers' blatant incompetence. 

CLIFFORD RAY DID NOT WANT TO LEAVE THE CELTICS- he needed some time off over the summer of the last season he worked for the C's and then the celts just dumped him, in favor of nobody as big man coach.  davis' game stopped developing as far as rebounding goes and the team's big man fundamentals generally went down hill. 

do we deserve what we've gotten ever since = slowly worse and worse big man play?  definitely somewhat anyway.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]

Acie - look at the REASON that Doc told Bass not to post up.  When he does, he draws a [/QUOTE]

remember, JerLame O'neal, not in a bad natured gripey kind of way, but in a "i feel crappy because i did so little" kind of way, issued a fatwah to the boston globe this fall saying that he was told his role was zero on the offense. 

zero plays run for him in practice- that's the GUARANTEE to an atrophying overall role and when jerLame was called upon in games you saw a lot of short airballs and it was entirely 100% up to him to stay in "game shape" for any offensive involvement, while being PURPOSEFULLY STARVED OUT of any LOOKS IN SCRIMMAGE / PRACTICE.

this is NOT a logical thing to do to any big man.  much less one that formerly scored 15 a night in the league as long as o'neal did!!!  sure he's washed up, but NO, he's not worth starving out of any offensive role IF YOU ARE GOING TO BOTHER TO PAY HIM TO SHOW UP AND PUT YOUR UNIFORM ON.

it's never to ANYONE's competitive advantage to that to any player- everyone who might be on the floor has to have as much basic competency as possible.  unless you are doc rivers.  then people can have roles and routines that don't make any sense!

o'neal is STILL in the league, believe it or not and .........  somehow the suns are getting quite a bit more out of him than we were able to, injuries NOTwithstanding

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3120

PER 36 mins played

FG%    FT%   FTA   REB  PTS   BLK

2011-12  .433     .677    1.9   8.6   7.9    2.7

2012-13  .512     .767    4.1   9.9   15.3  3.2

CAREER   .466     .711    5.6   9.5   17.7  2.5

Well dangit if the stats don't lie- Doc's role for O'Neal managed to get LESS OUT OF HIM per minute than......  anyone else did.

Just as he is currently strangling and mangling Bass' existence down to a shadow of its former self

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheNewGKDynasty. Show TheNewGKDynasty's posts

GOTCHA AGAIN SON...

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts