Gasol will be a Celtic

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Re: Gasol will be a Celtic

In Response to Re: Gasol will be a Celtic:
    I think it's hilarious that people think Gasol would turn things around for the Celtics.  I honestly could care less whether that trade was made or not, because either way the Celtics are still just a good but not great team.  
    Posted by snakeoil123

I thin if you start
    Bradley
    RA
    PP
    KG
    Gasol

it improves our defense at the rim, gives us size and I think Bradley is as good a perimeter defender as Rondo. We don't need Bradley's scoring but when we need scoring that's when you put Moore in or bring in Pietrus and move Pierce to PT Forward and don't even use a true PG.

We really need Gasol's size though if you want to compete against the Heat and Bulls.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

snakeoil123, I don't think folks are saying getting Gasol would turn things around for the Celtics.  However, it would make us better.

Rondo is a great PG but what he does was so much more effective when the Big 3 were closer to their prime.  Rondo is adept at dishing out assists.  He's not a consistent enough scorer and rebounder to affect a game consistently.  His greatest effect on a game is when he's dishing out assists.

However, with Ray, PP and KG unable to convert those assists like they could 2 or 3 years ago, there is more of a burden on Rondo to significantly up his scoring which he's not really capable of doing.  Few and far between he'll have a decent scoring game but even his assists numbers are nowhere like they were last season.  And one important factor is that when in crunchtime, Rondo is even less productive.

Last season, after a torrid start, Rondo's assist numbers "DIPPED" to 11.6.  At one point early in the season, he was dishing out 13/14 dimes per game.  But as the season grinds along and KG, RA and PP are less productive scoring, Rondo becomes less effective because he's primarily an assist man.

For some reason, Rondo does not come out with the mindset that he displayed against NY in the first game.  Rondo has the "ability" to score 20 points and have 13 assists EACH GAME even without having a great perimeter shot.  We just don't get that from him.

Nobody in the NBA will ever again have the luxury of developing alongside 3 sure-fire Hall of Famers.  No PG will ever have the benefit of dishing out passes to 3 guys like Rondo does.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

IT IS NOT RONDO MAKING THE BIG 3 LOOK GOOD, IT IS THE BIG 3 MAKING RONDO LOOK GOOD.
    Posted by Fiercest34

Agreed!  Love your Kaman and Nash idea!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

IT IS NOT RONDO MAKING THE BIG 3 LOOK GOOD, IT IS THE BIG 3 MAKING RONDO LOOK GOOD.
    Posted by Fiercest34

If this point is true and I think it may be,  you can't get rid of Rondo fast enough.
    Let's see Rondo play without the big three in the next few games and see how Rondo does. It would be very revealing.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Gasol might be the best passing big man in the NBA today and he scores 16.8 PPG on a team where Kobe shoots 80% of the time.  He'd be our best rebounder, by far, at 10.2 per game.

And just think if he did not have to share the interior with Bynum, he'd be even more productive down low.

Like snakeoil though, I'm a little scared of his contract for the next two years.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: Gasol will be a Celtic : I think we'd have to give the Hornets a draft pick. But Nash and Kaman will definitely improve the Celts' halfcourt game.  C - Kaman PF - KG SF - Pierce SG - Ray PG - Nash Who would the opponent double team? And we can use the pick and roll again because Nash has unlimited range.
    Posted by Fiercest34

Not a bad bench, either, with Moore/FA, Pietrus, Bass/JJJ, and Wilcox!!

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

After last night's game - which I didn't see - we should ask for Bynum and not Gasol......LOL!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

Last night was definitely an eye opener for me. I love Rondo, and want to give him the benefit of doubts, but i don't think we will ever get a better player for him. Last night would have been an excellent time for him to step up, but they guarded(or not) him the same way. He could not make that adjustment. He would take one louse shout, and then would hesitate the rest of the quarter. Clearly, this a a mental issue more than a mechanical one. He is clearly one of the best for three quarters, but by the fourth quarter, he is extremely limited, and even a liability. Teams make adjustments, and you have to be able to counter. Gasol was pretty amazing last night as he is most nights.He had 14 rebounds while sharing space with Bynum. With him a KG, we have a two headed center. I get the feeling he is the odd man out in LA. If he needs his fire lit once in a while, so be it, Doc is one of the best at it, and certainly playing along side KG will keep him motivated on most nights. It is what it is...Gasoft will keeps us competitive for the next three years as we make the adjustment to the youngsters, and certainly helps to attract other talents to Boston...with JJJ, Moore, Green, and Bass, with our picks, we are back in the hunt..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hondorondo. Show hondorondo's posts

Last night was definitely an eye opener for me. I love Rondo, and want to give him the benefit of doubts, but i don't think we will ever get a better player for him. Last night would have been an excellent time for him to step up, but they guarded(or not) him the same way. He could not make that adjustment. He would take one louse shout, and then would hesitate the rest of the quarter. Clearly, this a a mental issue more than a mechanical one. He is clearly one of the best for three quarters, but by the fourth quarter, he is extremely limited, and even a liability. Teams make adjustments, and you have to be able to counter. Gasol was pretty amazing last night as he is most nights.He had 14 rebounds while sharing space with Bynum. With him a KG, we have a two headed center. I get the feeling he is the odd man out in LA. If he needs his fire lit once in a while, so be it, Doc is one of the best at it, and certainly playing along side KG will keep him motivated on most nights. It is what it is...Gasoft will keeps us competitive for the next three years as we make the adjustment to the youngsters, and certainly helps to attract other talents to Boston...with JJJ, Moore, Green, and Bass, with our picks, we are back in the hunt..
    Posted by Ortiz123

Ortiz123 makes the perfect points. While we may have trouble with other strong teams, teams with big, lengthy frontcourt players will give us fits. Trading Rondo for Gasol is a gamble, but then all trades have some risk. If there is a budget traditional point guard out there to add then I think the Rondo for Gasol deal is
    a great idea. New idea for analyzing Rondo effectiveness/limitations:  Is it just me or does his turnovers seem to lead to more points for the other team as opposed to other players' turnovers? Don't give up on the C's -- we are closer than many think.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

The Lakers would be crazy to trade Gasol for Rondo, and one thing i know about the Lakers is they are not crazy!!  We need to go after Kaman in a bad way!!

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In Response to Re: Gasol will be a Celtic : There is no way the Lakers win a title with Rondo and without Gasol.  Take last night as an example.  If you take Gasol off the Lakers and put Rondo out there, where do the Lakers get that 25 points and 14 rebounds from?  You surely won't get that from Rondo.  There is nothing Rondo does to compensate for that loss. Gasol's 4th quarter and OT performance is something the Celtics don't get from Rondo.  The current Laker team, WITH GASOL, needs a solid PG to make it a title contender.  If you remove Gasol from that equation, that PG has to be Deron Williams. They would need to replace that offense and rebounding and they won't get it from Rondo.  Rondo's assist numbers would even be reduced because he would then only have only 1 HOF to pass the ball to instead of 3 in Boston.  That makes getting assists a little bit easier for Rondo.
    Posted by Petey62

25 points and 14 rebounds?  how often he does that against the Celtics.  Last year he only had 12 points/7 rebounds in the game where his team lost and 20 points/10 rebounds in the game where his team won. 

Therefore he does not get 25 points and 14 rebounds against the Celtics every time he play against them

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In Response to Re: Gasol will be a Celtic : You are correct, we are closer than many think. I say we are one big man away from being elite.
    Posted by Fiercest34

And minus PG away from being elite!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

His averages for this season show what he's capable of consistently putting up and that is what's most important.

You're right about last night's game.  I simply used it as am example.  However, look at his season stats and that shows what's he's capable of doing.  Again, even on a team where Kobe hogs the ball AND he has to share the lane with Bynum.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to Re: Gasol will be a Celtic : Why be scared of Gasol's contract? When KG came to the Celts he was 31 years old and Ainge gave him a 5-year extension. 
    Posted by Fiercest34

And he is probably the most overpaid player in the NBA at this point.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to Re: Gasol will be a Celtic : So? Is it coming out of our pockets?
    Posted by Fiercest34

You were saying that we shouldnt worry that Gasol is 31 and has a big contract by saying that DA gave KG a 5 year extension.  My point is that extension obviously has not worked out.

I respect your opinion but I want to get younger and tougher.   Not older and softer.  Gasol can board but he isn't a guy you want to build around for the next few years.  He really isn't.

Regardless the Lakers never make this trade anyway.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In Response to Re: Gasol will be a Celtic : Again, one step at a time. It's easier finding a very good small guy than finding a big guy that plays like Pau Gasol. I mean we're already 1-6 against the Heat the last 7 games and we haven't beaten the Bulls since 2010.  We're better off with a big man that can rebound and score than a PG that can't shoot and disappears in 4th qtrs of games. What's the use of having someone that doesn't show up for the 4th qtr. I mean the NBA is not the NHL.
    Posted by Fiercest34

I agree with that it is  easier to find a PG than a Center !!!

I say make the trade if the Lakers are stupid enough to do it. We are both mediocre teams and still in a 7 game series they'd most likely win 4. We'd win 3 because our perimeter shooters are better, Pierce, Allen, Pietrus, Bass etc.  Other than Kobe..Artest & Fisher are way past their prime.

Hate to bring up old wounds but game 7 finals we lost was because we got outrebounded(yup, forget egregious discrepancy in foul shots and that helped blow a 13 pt lead). We won 3 games because we had Perkins and we shot better from the outside---I think Allen broke the record for 3s in one game.

So, this year we live or die depending upon our jump shots...Pierce, Allen and Rondo can drive to the basket but not enough.  The benefit of rebounding and I don't profess to be Sherlock Holmes here is a team can have a bad shooting night and still win. Case in point they shot 32% in game 7 while we shot 40% and their guy who walks on water only shot 6/24 or 25%. When you can put up shot after shot the frequency allows even a blind chipmunk to find an acorn.

The problem is that the Lakers know Rondo will not bring them a title but with Gasol I believe we could win because even without a steller PG, KG & Especially Gasol could put up the offensive rebound or he and KG could shoot the 5-10 ft jumpers & hook shots or pass out to Pierce, Allen etc. who could shoot from the outside or drive to the basket.

Personally, I do not believe Gasol is soft( plastic explosives are soft)...no, he's not a banger but he's a bit like Parish & McHale with an effective SOFT TOUCH !!! I believe KG, and yup I know he's really a PF and not a center and slightly built is much softer !!!

So, if we can dupe LA into the trade, give them JO too so they feel they are getting some height back and maybe a draft choice & do the trade .

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts