Get Beasley

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rebels345209. Show Rebels345209's posts

Get Beasley

Getting Beasley for Jermaine O'Neal and the first rounder from the Clippers would be a savvy move and makes us better right now. Now Minnesota offered Beasley to the Lakers for a first rounder. The Lakers unlike us could do that deal because they had the trade exception from the Lamar Odom trade. Lakers don't have a comparable one year contract to send to the Wolves with a first rounder for Beasley and Lakers won't add payroll. Celtics do have an almost identical contract to Beasley in Jermaine O'Neal. This move would give us another scoring threat in the half court and would bring us closer to the team we would of been had Jeff Green been able to play this year. Garnett should be a center at this point in his career and honestly if he was I think it A) makes us better and B) immediately makes KG a top 10 (easily) center. I don't think that should be the only move but it is realistic and without the Celts willing to take a bad contract it will be tough to talk a team into really good pieces for a one year rental like Ray or KG or an aging vet with a big contract like Pierce. I personally would of course consider moving Rondo but we would need a healthy package back obviously. A logical move to follow up the Beasley trade would be Dooling and/or Wilcox (who I like) for another Center to help KG. it's going to be a fun two weeks

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Accension13. Show Accension13's posts

Re: Get Beasley

Excellent post... I have been wanting the C's to get Beasley for a while now. I wouldn't mind the trade getting expanded to bring back more young talent from the T'wolves. I would do ray and a first for Wes johnson/Beasley/Randolph/milcic. Young players that can run with rondo plus milcic could be a very good backup center for the C's. The guy is still young and he is big man that has good skills. If the deal is just for Beasley, I would like to see the C's give him significant minutes. I have been for the C's trading rondo, but if they don't it would be interesting having him play with Beasley. Beasley could be a very good player for the C's

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

In Response to Re: Get Beasley:
    I'm in favor of Beasley for JON but with no more than a 2nd round draft pick for sweetener. The Lakers are correct in refusing to give up a #1 pick as that pick could be as good or better than Beasley at one third the $.
    Posted by Mployee8

yup.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Accension13. Show Accension13's posts

I want the C's to get both odom and Beasley, but Beasley has way more upside than odom. It's really not about potential anymore with Beasley. He has proven he can be a very good player in this league. Right now, the only thing stopping him from being a star is the poor decisions he has made. Not really a bad kid. He's just a bit of a knucklehead. The incentive to get a new contract may be enough to get him to buy into the C's system

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

So you'd give a #1 pick along with JON?

Not me ... JON and a 2nd at best.

If it's the lower of the two picks, or a conditional pick (outside the top 20) that could roll over to next year, I'd consider it, depending on what else is available for O'Neal's carcass. I expect the Celtics to make the playoffs as a 7-8 seed, ending up with the 15th or 16th pick. The Celtics have too much pride to miss the post-season, and I still think they could surprise us in the playoffs.

In 2010, the Celtics looked similarly mediocre during the second half of the regular season and then turned it on in a big way, marching all the way to Game 7 of the Finals. If Ainge adds a decent player or two by the deadline, if Derrick Rose's back spasms limit his effectiveness, who knows what might happen? I'd say it's 90/10 that the Celtics will be one and done in the first round as a 7th or 8th seed, but I do give them that outside chance to pull off the upset if everything breaks right for them. And if the Celtics can claim the 6th spot, I think they have a better than 50/50 shot of reaching the second round. The Sixers, Magic, Pacers and Hawks (or whoever else takes third) don't scare me at all. The Celtics can beat any of them with or without homecourt advantage.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brawny27. Show Brawny27's posts

In response to "Re: Get Beasley":
    In Response to Re: Get Beasley : Odom or Beasley? Posted by Mployee8
    I agree Beasley would make us better now,trade J.O and a second.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Accension13. Show Accension13's posts

In Response to Re: Get Beasley : So you'd give a #1 pick along with JON? Not me ... JON and a 2nd at best. Posted by Mployee8
    Yeah... I would give a #1. The lakers didn't balk at giving a#1 they balked at taking back salary. They want minny to take back a player and not have to use their TPE. Ideally, the C's can convince them to take next years #1, but if not I would still do it

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I would not give up a #1.  I'd give up an expiring contract (JO), but even then it could leave the frontcourt a little thin if the C's decide that they're trying to make a playoff run and not build for the future just yet.  That is assuming JO ies even healthy... 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Beasley is a player who has underperformed on two teams not one. What I don't understand is how anyone here thinks he will help the Celtics.  He is not a team player, he does not play defense and his attitude is considered a problem.  

This guys is not going to make the Celtics better going forward.  He will score, but how does that put this team play well with him considering he can't do any of the other things that will make us a winning team.

Odom or Beasley they are both on the trash heap it is not going to do much unless we get some real players of consequence.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Beasley is super talented. How does he help the C'z? JO's corpse is sure productive when he's on the court every other 2 weeks. Your swaping JO for Beasley. If they could do that for JO and a 2nd Ainge didn't do it he should be fired. That's an brainer risk and it's not even a big one.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bird-to-DJ. Show Bird-to-DJ's posts

What has Beasley EVER done in the NBA to warrant a #1 anywhere in the first round.  "Beasley is super talented."  Only during his freshman year at K St. and in HS did Beasley look super talented.  He is, and this happens to many a NBA player, an undersized NBA 4 who has not transitioned to playing the 3 and is a headcase.  Also remeber, his qualifying number is $8M next year or he is a unrestricted FA.  If you could get him for JO and a #2 then fine - that is an acceptable risk/reward gamble.  But a #1 - not a chance esp. if he clashes during the rest of the season and is sent packing.  As Red-Russ said, the Wolves are shopping him hard - for a reason as they aren't going to give him the qualifying offer either and are praying someone is crazy enough to give them a #1 for a player they, most likely, won't have on their roster next year anyway.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rebels345209. Show Rebels345209's posts

I would still do it with the Clippers first rounder which will be in the 20's. Our pick looks like its going to range anywhere from 15-18. Beasley gives us another potential piece moving forward. Rumor is Houston is interested in Pierce. I refuse to endorse a Pierce trade and I'm not sure I want anything Houston has to offer

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Accension13. Show Accension13's posts

Beasley is a player who has underperformed on two teams not one. What I don't understand is how anyone here thinks he will help the Celtics.  He is not a team player, he does not play defense and his attitude is considered a problem.   This guys is not going to make the Celtics better going forward.  He will score, but how does that put this team play well with him considering he can't do any of the other things that will make us a winning team. Odom or Beasley they are both on the trash heap it is not going to do much unless we get some real players of consequence. Posted by concord27
    I understand your perspective, and you may be 100% correct; however, I disagree. He average close to 20pts and 8-9 rebounds last year. I know it was on a terrible team, but what he showed is he has Above average NBA ability. He is only 23, has size, and he has been working on reforming his image. I can't remember the guys name, but a respected Former NBA vet is mentoring the guy so at least he is trying. That combined with the fact he is playing for his next contract makes this a low risk high reward proposition for the C's. He is just a year older than JJJ, and he has more potential.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rebels345209. Show Rebels345209's posts

Beasley averaged nearly 20 pts per game just 12 months ago. Trading a late 1st rounder for a guy who was a top two pick 4 years ago should be a no brainer for a team that needs help

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

In Response to Re: Get Beasley:
    What has Beasley EVER done in the NBA to warrant a #1 anywhere in the first round.  "Beasley is super talented."  Only during his freshman year at K St. and in HS did Beasley look super talented.  He is, and this happens to many a NBA player, an undersized NBA 4 who has not transitioned to playing the 3 and is a headcase.  Also remeber, his qualifying number is $8M next year or he is a unrestricted FA.  If you could get him for JO and a #2 then fine - that is an acceptable risk/reward gamble.  But a #1 - not a chance esp. if he clashes during the rest of the season and is sent packing.  As Red-Russ said, the Wolves are shopping him hard - for a reason as they aren't going to give him the qualifying offer either and are praying someone is crazy enough to give them a #1 for a player they, most likely, won't have on their roster next year anyway.
    Posted by Bird-to-DJ

I didn't say a #1 pick. A 2 is worthless like JO. Your trading two worthless things for a talente player. Your on crack if you don't think he is talented. A one is isn't a horrible idea but probabaly a little too steep.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Im still hopeful that some day beasley will grow out of his problems.  The talent is there to be a top 10 scorer in this league.  I'm a kstate grad and all the sources say his substance abuse problems were really bad (which we knew.)  But like worse than just pot.

If he ever sheds that monkey he could be a very good player still I think.  But you have to get him at a good price for the risk/reward factor.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bird-to-DJ. Show Bird-to-DJ's posts

Tom -- Re-read my post.  I agreed that JO and a #2 was a worthwhile gamble, but that a #1 is significantly too steep unless you are prepared to potentially pay Beaasley $8M next year. 

I quoted you only in terms of stating that Beasley is "super talented", although I may have been a little too strident.  Yes, he is a career 15ppg player on very bad teams - so he can play... But 2 stats IMO are way more important - he is a career 45% shooter in the front court who does not go to the line very often.  From an offensive effiiceny standpoint he is way below where a super talented SF/PF should be.  Beasley is a volume shooter, plays less than stellar defense, and averages less than 6 rebounds per game.  He is worth the risk only if you are giving up nothing that you value.  Did not mean to attack your entire post - in fact I will agree that he is NOT worth a #1 in any situation.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

All good. I just think dumping JO for anything of value that won't screw the cap is more or less worth it if it's a 2nd round pick they want.

Sections
Shortcuts