Get with the program, Stevens: a tank rant.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Louisio. Show Louisio's posts

Get with the program, Stevens: a tank rant.

Boston now has 13 games left to play. What's left to play for? Not much, IMHO. We've seen some nice, competitive performances out of the Celitcs this season. There's been no season-long, intentional tanking. The fans have gotten their money's worth in what, after all, has been a season everybody knew from the getgo wouldn't end in a playoff appearance. The organization can hold its head high as far as I'm concerned. But at this point, if I may be blunt, it's time to tank, Brad! The difference between, say, fourth and seventh pick might well have huge implications for the franchise's future. And at this point we've had plenty of time to assess our pieces (talent), so there's no need to keep our best players on the floor. I'm sure Stevens (and Ainge) have a pretty good idea at this point what they've got in Sullinger. What they've got in Olynyk. What they've got it AB. Whether or not RR has made a full recovery, etc. Time to shut it down!

But sure, it's probably too late at this point to pass other teams in the draft sweepstakes -- the time to take care of business on that score was about six weeks ago. Just had to get this off my chest, is all.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinus007. Show sinus007's posts

Re: Get with the program, Stevens: a tank rant.

Louisio,

I think you're missing a couple of key points that go against your position.

Winning is in Stevens' blood, it's in his DNA. Something similar to what Larry Bird said: I din't come to play, I come to win.

Second, Danny wouldn't hire such a coach if the party line was to tank.

Also, the goal for this team is to compete and win #18 and beyond. Loosing mentality is not one of the stepping stones to it.

AK

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to sinus007's comment:

Louisio,

Winning is in Stevens' blood, it's in his DNA. Something similar to what Larry Bird said: I din't come to play, I come to win.

Also, the goal for this team is to compete and win #18 and beyond. Loosing mentality is not one of the stepping stones to it.

AK

====================================

Regarding the expression "tanking", I believe that means to purposely lose which I don't feel we have done. We lose because our team is mediocre but I believe we try to win every game.

I agree with you about Stevens. It's in his blood to win. We were competitive with Dallas up until last 2 minutes 2 nights  ago. Yup I know it is best to be in the bottom 5 ping pong ball lottery, something in which we have not been lucky. Had we gotten Tim Duncan, we might have had #s 18, 19 & 20 by now.

Last night was a Great victory...oops, mea culpa, a Terrible/ Worthless etc. victory. I recall we beat Miami 4-1 in playoffs 3 years ago before they got LeBron and Wade was the star. And they didn't have Bosh who played last night. Of course, we had KG,PP,RA, Tony Allen, Perkins & Rondo. So Miami's team was almost the same and without our Vets and a bunch of mediocre players, except rookies Oly & Sully, and then our pretty good Vets, Rondo, Hump & Bradley, the others  would be bench sitters on other teams, we win. Green & Bass are inconsistent. Green can hit 30 pts one night and then under 10 another night.

What I feel is positive is that Stevens is a very good coach especially having been a college coach so working with younger players is his main talent. So, It's not likely we'll get to pick from the top 5-6 prospects but with our numerous number of draft picks we should as Golden State did in the first round got Curry, Thompson & Barnes be able to get 3-4 good players from 5-30 picks in 1st round. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to mossad-did-911's comment:

sinus i think you're missing the main point. the season is over. they've already tanked. at this point every win is a loss in the long run. most of these guys won't be around by the time the team is competing for 18. screw their mentality.

Agreed,,,this ain't college...you can't win consistently in the NBA on grit, guts and effort alone...you really do need across the board talent and they just don't have it...they haven't "tanked" so to speak, they've been soundly beaten, and there is a huge difference between what they have done, are doing, that what the LAKERS AND 76'RS are doing...

I give them mucho credit, but there IS NOTHING left to play for but good players in the draft...I'd let the kids play...you know prescisely what the vets will give you....play them half a game...otherwise, give guys like KO  and Sully extended minutes, maybe find out if Pressy has any chance of making it long term, same with guys like Johnson and Babb...that's the best way to build a winner long term...the vets on the team will likely all be gone next year or the year after when contracts are up. It's not tanking, it's being prudent and smart.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

sinus i think you're missing the main point. the season is over. they've already tanked. at this point every win is a loss in the long run. most of these guys won't be around by the time the team is competing for 18. screw their mentality.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed,,,this sin't college...you can't win consisten tly in the NBA on grit, guts and effort alone...you really do need across the board talent and they just don't have it...they haven't "tanked" so to speak, they've been soundly beaten, and there is a huge difference between what they have done, are doing, thatn what the LAKERS AND 76'RS are doing...

I give them mucho credit, but there IS NOTHING left to play for but good players in the draft...I'd let the kids play...you know prescisely what the vets will give you....play them half a game...otherwise, give guys like KO  and Sully extended minutes, maybe find out if Pressy has any chance of making it long term, same with guys like Johnson and Babb...that's the best way to build a winner long term...the vets on the team will likely all be gone next year or the year after when contracts are up. It's not tanking, it's being prudent and smart.

[/QUOTE]

Irrespective of my post above yours, you do make a lot of sense !!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shamrock1000. Show shamrock1000's posts

[QUOTE]

Louisio,

AK

[/QUOTE]

Nonsense. If Steven's is so short-sighted that he cannot sacrafice one truly meaningless win for a far more secure future, then he is either not very bright, or has seriously limited impulse control. Since I believe Steven's is very bright, and extremely patient, I have to believe his already subtly coaching to tank. The Celtics have "been in" so many games, but ended up losing. It just doesn't seem possible statistically. Usually when this happens, people blame the coach. With the Celtics, since the expectations are so lopw that people let it slide (or even breathe a sigh of relief that we are that much closer to a good draft pick). However, had expectations been different, and the Celtics lost so many games they were in, we would be screaming for the coach's head. Thus, I suspect Steven's is already subtly coaching to lose. I'm not sure why he doesn't take it further - maybe the C's are afraid of repercussions from the league, or maybe it would just be too obvious and thus bad form. I just can't believe a guy as smart as Brad could be so short sighted....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticelmo. Show celticelmo's posts

In response to shamrock1000's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Louisio,

AK

[/QUOTE]

Nonsense. If Steven's is so short-sighted that he cannot sacrafice one truly meaningless win for a far more secure future, then he is either not very bright, or has seriously limited impulse control. Since I believe Steven's is very bright, and extremely patient, I have to believe his already subtly coaching to tank. The Celtics have "been in" so many games, but ended up losing. It just doesn't seem possible statistically. Usually when this happens, people blame the coach. With the Celtics, since the expectations are so lopw that people let it slide (or even breathe a sigh of relief that we are that much closer to a good draft pick). However, had expectations been different, and the Celtics lost so many games they were in, we would be screaming for the coach's head. Thus, I suspect Steven's is already subtly coaching to lose. I'm not sure why he doesn't take it further - maybe the C's are afraid of repercussions from the league, or maybe it would just be too obvious and thus bad form. I just can't believe a guy as smart as Brad could be so short sighted....

[/QUOTE]

Yep, this is a business as much as a game {NBA}and Stevens needs to get with the program. Who cares about the Locker Room at this point because as posted above, most of these guys will not even be around when the C's become competitive again. Nobody wants to get to the point of "tanking" but it is for the greater good. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to SFBostonFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mellymel3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agreed,,,this sin't college...you can't win consisten tly in the NBA on grit, guts and effort alone...you really do need across the board talent and they just don't have it...they haven't "tanked" so to speak, they've been soundly beaten, and there is a huge difference between what they have done, are doing, thatn what the LAKERS AND 76'RS are doing...

[/QUOTE]

Irrespective of my post above yours, you do make a lot of sense !!!

[/QUOTE]

We both make sense...I think most fans ghere are all in on playing hard but playing SMART, in the future building sense.....don't effort your way to a much worse lottery pick...what's the payoff? None as far as I can see...If you've been a fan of more than 20 years, you've been down this nasty road before....moral victories aren't worth a darn thing!...Philly, owners of the worst losing streak of all time have been there many times since the 80's....they REALLY tanked because they know the only way to start over is to REALLY start over...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

You know, I was really thrilled they pulled it out last night.  My bad . . . I guess

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to Number6Fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You know, I was really thrilled they pulled it out last night.  My bad . . . I guess

[/QUOTE]

No, it was a good win...they can happen...but lets not screw ourselves, that's all I'm saying...winning 13 in a row does nothing positive at all for their future where losing 13 in a row just might!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"You know, I was really thrilled they pulled it out last night"

With Lebron, I would have also had a thrill and it would have shown the team they can play with anybody. Without Lebron I wasn't thrilled at all - though I will never hold it against a fan who is happy we won a game.The problem is that a few more wins like that and we are stuck in no man's land - without either the playoffs or a good draft pick. 

Thats' a recips for mediocrity in the NBA. 

Stevens only knows one way to coach which is why Ainge needed to make a couple of trade deadline moves to give Stevens less pieces to work with. 

Hopefully they will lose anyway - a couple freak harmless injuries that keep guys out for a few games would help