Give Bill Russell a statue

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Give Bill Russell a statue

Great article here. This is something that should have been in Boston years ago.

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/articles/give_bill_russell_a_damn_statue/page1

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EliasB. Show EliasB's posts

Re: Give Bill Russell a statue

When you watch the Lakers and Celtics, do you root for both teams? I swear your the strangest Lakers fan...

Cool

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

In Response to Re: Give Bill Russell a statue:
    [QUOTE]When you watch the Lakers and Celtics, do you root for both teams? I swear your the strangest Lakers fan...
    Posted by EliasB[/QUOTE]

It's called being "CLASSY"....

Do you know anything about that?? Not all Laker fans are trolls like you.

Undecided

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Right in front of the Garden.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulpierceisbest. Show paulpierceisbest's posts

Im thinking a bench, with Red and Bill sitting on it next to each other.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Give Bill Russell a statue : RU;  I've ben a diehard Celtics fan since I turned on the radio as a kid, can't tell you what year, but the Celtics and the Lakers were in the final minutes of a game seven in 1962-63, and Gene Guarilia made a great block on Elgin Baylor. I got caught up in the excitement of listening to Johnny Most and have been a fan ever since. Even though I'm a diehard fan like yourself I still respect other teams and thier accomplishments, especially the Lakers who have been a model of consistancy over the years.  Yes some Laker fans are trolls, and I'm sure some Celtics fans are as well, but ignore them and post here to converse with us.  Hetchinspete. 
    Posted by Hetchinspete[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

A statue is nice but I dont really care about stuff like that. Not with so many nitwits running around proclaiming Lebron or Kobe the greatest player ever.

Once Russell gets a statue, then Kobe will get one..bigger.. then Lebron will insist he gets one tomorrow... its like youth sports where they make sure every kid that signs up gets a participation trophy.. just dilutes trophies in general.

Best thing we can do is keep the stories about Russell alive by talking about them and tellin you kids etc. 

I said before my dad would tell me about the greatest baseball player he ever saw... I was thinking Babe or Willie??  Nah, he told me all about Joe D and what made him so great. I starting reading stuff about him, seeing what I could find as the internet came of age.. When Im asked who's the greatest baseball player, I say Joe D... I cant even say I saw him play but it was passed down to me and I learned to appreciate the skills he had... like getting a jump on a fly ball before it left the bat..

Thats why everyone knows the Babe, knows Bobby Orr, Jim Brown  etc..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Very well said......this board is open to any fans who show respect and intelligence...this board is not really made up of just Celtic fans....classy fans who root for other teams should be welcomed and appreciated...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

[QUOTE]A statue is nice but I dont really care about stuff like that. Not with so many nitwits running around proclaiming Lebron or Kobe the greatest player ever. Once Russell gets a statue, then Kobe will get one..bigger.. then Lebron will insist he gets one tomorrow... its like youth sports where they make sure every kid that signs up gets a participation trophy.. just dilutes trophies in general. Best thing we can do is keep the stories about Russell alive by talking about them and tellin you kids etc.  I said before my dad would tell me about the greatest baseball player he ever saw... I was thinking Babe or Willie??  Nah, he told me all about Joe D and what made him so great. I starting reading stuff about him, seeing what I could find as the internet came of age.. When Im asked who's the greatest baseball player, I say Joe D... I cant even say I saw him play but it was passed down to me and I learned to appreciate the skills he had... like getting a jump on a fly ball before it left the bat.. Thats why everyone knows the Babe, knows Bobby Orr, Jim Brown  etc..
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]

We have Magic, Hearn and Jerry West (coming soon at All Star Weekend, great idea when it comes to unveiling it!) statues, Jerry Wests was long overdue. Byrant will get a statue for sure. Not sure about Kareem though. Hard to pick what sort of statue there should be for Jerry West, player or executive? Very exciting time.

But the Celtics and Boston should really go ahead with one for Russell. And re-naming the arena after him would be brilliant. Not a fan of the corporate naming of sports arenas.

Completely get your meaning in regards to youth sports were 'everyone' has to win. Which I think is garbage, it's all about participation at that level and not winning. A kind word from your coach and parents on your performance should be enough.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

"The Bill Russell Arena"...........that is the best idea I've heard of in a long time!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE] If any player in any sport deserves a statue, it has to be Bill Russell!!  It's a damn shame we have to see some clown, wearing Russ's #6!!
    Posted by kyceltic[/QUOTE]

Agreed ! 

Sections
Shortcuts