Give us your projected Celtic's depth chart...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Give us your projected Celtic's depth chart...

Starters in bold:

PG - Rondo, Pressey <starts the season at PG until Rondo gets back

SG - Bradley, Lee, Brooks, Crawford

SF - Green, Wallace, Bogans

PF - Olynyk, Bass

C - Sullinger, Faverani, Humphries

Assuming Rondo isn't ready to start the season than Bradley could get the nod, though if everything goes great Pressey will impress in camp and take the starting PG job until Rondo gets back.  Also I have high hopes for Faverani taking the center position and rolling with it as well as Brooks maturing enough to take over the shooting guard position, I readily admit that this paragraph is wild eye'd, pie in the sky thinking and I'm projecting upward but I have a lot of faith in Danny Ainge's ability to spot talent.

Assuming this ^ fantasy scenario happens and everything goes right, the starting five of the future would be: Rondo, Brooks, Green, Olynyk and Vitor.  People will ask what about Sully, I have deep concerns about his back being able to handle a starting load over the course of a season and he could be very effective as a 6th man.  There is also the distinct possibility that once Rondo returns and proves he is healthy and Pressey has already shown he can start Rondo will be a trading chip.  In that case swap out Rondo for Pressey above...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Re: Give us your projected Celtic's depth chart...

I think you have this mostly right, except:

Sully will not start at center and will likely not even log any minutes at center.  At 6'9" without any vertical, he would get demolished in the middle.  They are paying Fav $6M with 3 years.  He will start even if he needs to develop skills over time.  Winning isn't important as development.  Hump will backup Fav with Oly playing some minutes at C as well.

Bass will likely start at PF since its his position to lose and more importantly, Danny will want to showcase Bass for a trade in December.  Sully will backup Bass, and Oly will also get some minutes, especially when Hump is in at center.

Bradley and Pressey will share minutes at PG until Rondo returns in late Nov/early Dec.   Rondo and Avery will be traded before the end of the season (unless Bradley really shines at PG).  Don't think Danny will pay Rondo ~maximum in his contract year and Bradley at only 6'1" without an effectively consistent outside shot won't fit in Stevens system at SG. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

I expect this depth chart because of a rookie coach not making waves and not doing what's best (which is starting Brooks and making him a focus of the offense) and showcasing needs for trade

Pg- Bradley-Crawford-Pressey

Sg- Lee-Bogans-Brooks

Sf-Wallace-Green

Pf-Bass-Sullinger-Olynyk

C-Humphries-Faverani

I left Rondo out because who knows when he'll be back.

Crawford and Brooks may play a lot together just so we can determine to keep one or the other. Pressey should get short minutes to start the season unless he blows our socks off with his play.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Until Rondo returns:

Bradley (35), Pressey (13)

Brooks (20), Lee (20), Crawford (8), Bogans

Green (35), Wallace (15)

Sullinger (25), Olynyk (18), Bass (15)

Humphries (18), Faverani (14)

Now this is more of what I would do and not what I expect will happen, because lets face it, nobody here has any idea what is up Steven's sleeve.

I think Bradley & Brooks start. Pressey and Lee off the bench. Sully & Humphries could work well together in tandium, at least to grab all the misses from the B-brothers. Green, Bradley and Brooks will all initiate the offense, creating confusion for the opposing team's defense. I believe Olynyk and Lee are the first off the bench, which pushes Sullinger to the Center position. In reality, I think that per each game at least one of [Faverani, Humphries, Olynyk, Bass, Sullinger] will sit out due to injury, rest, depth, etc. but this is how the minutes will distribute over Oct/Nov/Dec

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Pretty certain that this is the starting lineup and depth chart at the beginning of the season, if no further roster moves:

PG - Bradley, Pressey, (Crawford)

SG - Lee, Brooks, (Crawford)

SF - Green, Wallace

PF - Bass, Sully, (Oly)

C  - Fav, Hump, (Oly)

At the end of the season, likely only Green and Fav remain as starters. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from romneywins. Show romneywins's posts

Point Guard depth is NOBODY

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Pressey isn't going to start. Bradley started last year. He isn't going to lose the job to Pressey.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

I think Wallace starts over Green because he is a vet and makes more money, He has accomplished more in this league than Green. Green will have to outplay him to start.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

In response to DaCeltics' comment:

I think Wallace starts over Green because he is a vet and makes more money, He has accomplished more in this league than Green. Green will have to outplay him to start.

I'ld have to disagree with that. The position is Green's to lose. And he's not going to lose it to Wallace.

"There is also the distinct possibility that once Rondo returns and proves he is healthy and Pressey has already shown he can start Rondo will be a trading chip.  In that case swap out Rondo for Pressey above..."

Pressey was turnover prone in summer league..... SUMMER LEAGUE. You really think he can beat out Rondo in the eyes of DA?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

In response to DrBoogiebone's comment:

I'ld have to disagree with that. The position is Green's to lose. And he's not going to lose it to Wallace.

"There is also the distinct possibility that once Rondo returns and proves he is healthy and Pressey has already shown he can start Rondo will be a trading chip.  In that case swap out Rondo for Pressey above..."

Pressey was turnover prone in summer league..... SUMMER LEAGUE. You really think he can beat out Rondo in the eyes of DA?

PG- Crawford, Pressey, Lee   (Crawford may be the best passer on the Celtics and leads the others in assists/minute. His liability is poor decision making in shot selection but he can score) Rondo unable to start season

SG- Bradley, Lee, Brooks, Bogans (need to see where Bradley's game is after a summer of concentrating on his shooting) Expect Bradley to have the bulk of the minutes with Lee and Brooks competing for time. Winner to emerge on consistency

SF- Green, Wallace, Olynyk (Wallace because of defense, rebounding and garbage points) but Olynyk will see 10 minutes/game until we see how well he adjusts to the NBA game

PF-  Sullinger, Humphries,  Bass (perhaps Humphries and Bass share equal time...need to showcase Humphries and Bass for probable trade)

C- Humphries, Faverani (need to showcase Humphries and see where Faverani's game is) Humphries is not a center but is more mobile and better scorer than Faverani

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

Brad Stevens already said he expects Bradley to be the starting PG when the season starts.

We really are tanking, aren't we?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Sorry, there is ZERO chance that Wallace starts over a healthy Green.  

Green is the foundation of the starting 5, their go-to man, and likely floor leader.    

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

In response to moskk's comment:

In response to DrBoogiebone's comment:

PG- Crawford, Pressey, Lee   (Crawford may be the best passer on the Celtics and leads the others in assists/minute. His liability is poor decision making in shot selection but he can score) Rondo unable to start season

SG- Bradley, Lee, Brooks, Bogans (need to see where Bradley's game is after a summer of concentrating on his shooting) Expect Bradley to have the bulk of the minutes with Lee and Brooks competing for time. Winner to emerge on consistency

SF- Green, Wallace, Olynyk (Wallace because of defense, rebounding and garbage points) but Olynyk will see 10 minutes/game until we see how well he adjusts to the NBA game

PF-  Sullinger, Humphries,  Bass (perhaps Humphries and Bass share equal time...need to showcase Humphries and Bass for probable trade)

C- Humphries, Faverani (need to showcase Humphries and see where Faverani's game is) Humphries is not a center but is more mobile and better scorer than Faverani

At least you got 1 position correct!!  and Oly at SF and not PF?  mmmmkay.  Everybody is entitled to their opinion no matter how illogical.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

In response to chris33's comment:

In response to Fierce34's comment:

Brad Stevens already said he expects Bradley to be the starting PG when the season starts.

We really are tanking, aren't we?

yep

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to R9R's comment:

Until Rondo returns:

Bradley (35), Pressey (13)

Brooks (20), Lee (20), Crawford (8), Bogans

Green (35), Wallace (15)

Sullinger (25), Olynyk (18), Bass (15)

Humphries (18), Faverani (14)

Now this is more of what I would do and not what I expect will happen, because lets face it, nobody here has any idea what is up Steven's sleeve.

I think Bradley & Brooks start. Pressey and Lee off the bench. Sully & Humphries could work well together in tandium, at least to grab all the misses from the B-brothers. Green, Bradley and Brooks will all initiate the offense, creating confusion for the opposing team's defense. I believe Olynyk and Lee are the first off the bench, which pushes Sullinger to the Center position. In reality, I think that per each game at least one of [Faverani, Humphries, Olynyk, Bass, Sullinger] will sit out due to injury, rest, depth, etc. but this is how the minutes will distribute over Oct/Nov/Dec

this is exactly what i would do....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

Pressey, Sullinger and KO, Green and Brooks

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

As regards Olynyk at SF instead of PF...

1, There is a logjam at PF and Humphries and Bass need PT to showcase their trade value. Sullinger is better at PF than Olynyk at this stage because he has a better post game, is stronger and rebounds better.

2. Olynyk is a point forward (great passer) with excellent ball handling (from the early days as a PG) versus Sullinger. IMO Oynyk is a great help defender too, a reason why he loses his own man when no one switches to cover his man. Olynyk could eventually play minutes at BOTH SF and PF but he's needed more at SF until the roster stabilizes

3. Crawford is a better distributor than Bradley (as already mentioned) and without Rondo a primary need on this team is ball distribution. Contrary to Brad, Bradley doesn't see the floor as well as Pressey or Crawford.

4. Perhaps I'm wrong but "illogical" seems a bit over the top

5. Lee ahead of Brooks on the depth chart because of experience. Brooks may have the better UPSIDE but needs PT to showcase his value

6. The roster depth chart that I projected was intended to start the strongest team possible while making concessions for showcasing players for later trade value as well as  to allow time  for new players to establish their eventual team value

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

You're forgetting one minor point...there isn't a SF in the NBA that Oly could keep up with and cover on D.

Crawford is a good passer.  but that doesn't mean he makes the right decisions, a much more important skill for the floor leader.   

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

You're forgetting one minor point...there isn't a SF in the NBA that Oly could keep up with and cover on D.

Crawford is a good passer.  but that doesn't mean he makes the right decisions, a much more important skill for the floor leader.   

One of the values of being 7' tall is that exceptional athleticism is less important if the player has a high basketball IQ with good lateral movement and great hands. We're not talking about the "ideal"makeup of a PF since we only have Green who comes close. We're talking about a serviceable standin.

Further, Olynyk's great passing ability promotes Sullinger's value since we don't have Rondo to create opportunities for him. Olynyk also has an outside and intermediate game to complement his ability to score or to find passing lanes.

While it's entirely premature Olynyk shows the potential to be a complete player who can play multiple positions to compensate for a missing Rondo.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

there isn't anything inadvertant about it.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to nyjetsssucc's comment:

In response to 37stories' comment:

there isn't anything inadvertant about it.

Well...just between you and I............

Yep...

oh. I didn't know they traded their two best players for a bunch of scrubs inadvertantly.

Sections
Shortcuts