Glen Davis- time to step it up..........

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

Glen Davis- time to step it up..........

I am the biggest Davis fan out there.  I love what he does for this team.  And he has stepped it up this season.  However, he has to be a consistent force on the boards.  Given his minutes increase, the scoring has increased like it should, mostly.  But his board numbers are too low.  I can accept somewhat lower board numbers because he moves people into a different zip code a lot of the time and the ball falls easily to someone else.  But there as many times that he just doesn't get one.  He should be @ 6 or 7 rebounds a night for his minutes played, not 4.5. 

I know the season is young.  But this has to be worked on for him to be able to be out there in the crucial and extended moments and not cost us- he's our best chance and most probable finisher for a big right now come playoff time, both O'neals and perk are wild cards.

Also, I don't like the fact that Davis only got 7 shots tonight.  And that happens a lot of nights.  From what i have observed, the Celts are really hard to beat when Davis is involved on offense- he adds what sheed didn't give us last year- spreading the floor w/ high percentage shots and spirited overall play on both ends.   Especially on a night when we shot a miserable .422, Davis should get more shots than 7.

The Celts need to get Davis more involved on O.  it's not like our offense comes easy in the half court and he shoots high percentages on about everything he does.  So let's get him a stable number of looks each night already.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Re: Glen Davis- time to step it up..........

In Response to Glen Davis- time to step it up..........:
    I am the biggest Davis fan out there.  I love what he does for this team.  And he has stepped it up this season.  However, he has to be a consistent force on the boards .  Given his minutes increase, the scoring has increased like it should, mostly.  But his board numbers are too low.  I can accept somewhat lower board numbers because he moves people into a different zip code a lot of the time and the ball falls easily to someone else.  But there as many times that he just doesn't get one.  He should be @ 6 or 7 rebounds a night for his minutes played, not 4.5.  I know the season is young.  But this has to be worked on for him to be able to be out there in the crucial and extended moments and not cost us- he's our best chance and most probable finisher for a big right now come playoff time, both O'neals and perk are wild cards. Also, I don't like the fact that Davis only got 7 shots tonight.  And that happens a lot of nights.  From what i have observed, the Celts are really hard to beat when Davis is involved on offense- he adds what sheed didn't give us last year- spreading the floor w/ high percentage shots and spirited overall play on both ends.   Especially on a night when we shot a miserable .422, Davis should get more shots than 7. The Celts need to get Davis more involved on O.  it's not like our offense comes easy in the half court and he shoots high percentages on about everything he does.  So let's get him a stable number of looks each night already.
    Posted by aciemvp

My sense in watching is that BBD is not the 1st, 2nd or 3rd scoring option many times during the game... and frequently he is the bail out option, particularly with the 18 to 20 footer.

He is shooting with confidence at 57% from the field and 90% from the line. Hard to improve over that.

What's the problem?

Pud

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

I am the biggest Davis fan out there.  I love what he does for this team.  And he has stepped it up this season.  However, he has to be a consistent force on the boards .  Given his minutes increase, the scoring has increased like it should, mostly.  But his board numbers are too low.  I can accept somewhat lower board numbers because he moves people into a different zip code a lot of the time and the ball falls easily to someone else.  But there as many times that he just doesn't get one.  He should be @ 6 or 7 rebounds a night for his minutes played, not 4.5.  I know the season is young.  But this has to be worked on for him to be able to be out there in the crucial and extended moments and not cost us- he's our best chance and most probable finisher for a big right now come playoff time, both O'neals and perk are wild cards. Also, I don't like the fact that Davis only got 7 shots tonight.  And that happens a lot of nights.  From what i have observed, the Celts are really hard to beat when Davis is involved on offense- he adds what sheed didn't give us last year- spreading the floor w/ high percentage shots and spirited overall play on both ends.   Especially on a night when we shot a miserable .422, Davis should get more shots than 7. The Celts need to get Davis more involved on O.  it's not like our offense comes easy in the half court and he shoots high percentages on about everything he does.  So let's get him a stable number of looks each night already.
    Posted by aciemvp

Im not concerned with Davis's rebs...

Considering hes taking almost 2 charges per game, thats 2 rebs per game he might have had but took the charge instead. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KOBEnumber5. Show KOBEnumber5's posts

Posted by aciemvp

I thought big baby was excellent last night except that he allowed Dirk to shoot the winning shot all up in his grill. Surprised

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In Response to Re: Glen Davis- time to step it up..........:
    In Response to Glen Davis- time to step it up.......... : My sense in watching is that BBD is not the 1st, 2nd or 3rd scoring option many times during the game... and frequently he is the bail out option, particularly with the 18 to 20 footer. He is shooting with confidence at 57% from the field and 90% from the line. Hard to improve over that. What's the problem? Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin

the problem with regard to how many looks davis gets is that this team is old.  if allen does not extend the floor, which he did not last night, then we need someone else to do it.  sometimes that should be davis.  but regardless of any given game's inner machinations, they should run some stuff for davis.  he is a good scorer.  he is better than a bailout jump shooter as the shot clock expires.

i know you and dudder have run davis down as maxed out with the potential, but it's still not true.  he's a starting quality player on any number of teams, so just like with rondo, let's develop our younger players to carry as much load as they are able to, not restrict their opportunities in running them out of the offense by ignoring them.  with rondo i can see why they woudl ignore him, he doesn't want the ball sometimes and often times is hesitant to shoot.

in a game where we should a coat of paint over 40% as a team, it's time to give the guy shooting 57% more shots.  no?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In Response to Glen Davis- time to step it up.......... : Im not concerned with Davis's rebs... Considering hes taking almost 2 charges per game, thats 2 rebs per game he might have had but took the charge instead. 
    Posted by Karllost

that's true.  but i'd still like to see further development of his boarding game.  he has shown he's capable of grabbing 7, 8 rebounds a game.  maybe i'm wrong, maybe he doesn't need to do that all the time to do what the team needs of him. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to Re: Glen Davis- time to step it up.......... : the problem with regard to how many looks davis gets is that this team is old.  if allen does not extend the floor, which he did not last night, then we need someone else to do it.  sometimes that should be davis.  but regardless of any given game's inner machinations, they should run some stuff for davis.  he is a good scorer.  he is better than a bailout jump shooter as the shot clock expires. i know you and dudder have run davis down as maxed out with the potential, but it's still not true.  he's a starting quality player on any number of teams, so just like with rondo, let's develop our younger players to carry as much load as they are able to, not restrict their opportunities in running them out of the offense by ignoring them.  with rondo i can see why they woudl ignore him, he doesn't want the ball sometimes and often times is hesitant to shoot. in a game where we should a coat of paint over 40% as a team, it's time to give the guy shooting 57% more shots.  no?
    Posted by aciemvp

I've never run down BBD to the max... or at all. 

Dudder... probably! Not I.

I frankly don't know what his potential is and am very pleasantly surprised by the emergence of the extended mid-range jay this year. I thought that 15 feet was pushing it a tad but he is hitting the 18 to 20 footer with authority.

BBD hasn't made a liar out of me by any stretch of the imagination.

Rondo either for that matter.... but I am wanting RR to!

Pud

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In Response to Re: Glen Davis- time to step it up.......... : I've never run down BBD to the max... or at all.  Dudder... probably! Not I. I frankly don't know what his potential is and am very pleasantly surprised by the emergence of the extended mid-range jay this year. I thought that 15 feet was pushing it a tad but he is hitting the 18 to 20 footer with authority. BBD hasn't made a liar out of me by any stretch of the imagination. Rondo either for that matter.... but I am wanting RR to! Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin

must have been dudder.  given davis' ability to hit the 18 footer, i think we should use it more than we are.  the less overall burden on ray the better.  and at the same time, it would only be prudent to run a couple of post ups for davis a game.  develop that too- davis may well be THE BIG on the floor when it comes down to it in crucial playoff situations.  KG can't always operate in the post.  So let's give davis some looks there to get him ready / see what he has.

From what I have seen so far, Davis has a decent post game with various jump hooks, jukes, possibly viable fadeaway, good left hand.  i don't think we should just assume that he can pull that out of the bag with little use for clutch situations, let's develop it a bit already. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to Re: Glen Davis- time to step it up.......... : must have been dudder.  given davis' ability to hit the 18 footer, i think we should use it more than we are.  the less overall burden on ray the better.  and at the same time, it would only be prudent to run a couple of post ups for davis a game.  develop that too- davis may well be THE BIG on the floor when it comes down to it in crucial playoff situations.  KG can't always operate in the post.  So let's give davis some looks there to get him ready / see what he has. From what I have seen so far, Davis has a decent post game with various jump hooks, jukes, possibly viable fadeaway, good left hand.  i don't think we should just assume that he can pull that out of the bag with little use for clutch situations, let's develop it a bit already. 
    Posted by aciemvp

Same for Semih in the post game?  What do you see that you like in his game?

Pud

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxRock1. Show SoxRock1's posts

What do you expect from a guy nicknamed Big Baby?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonsucks69. Show bostonsucks69's posts

Time to step it up chubby! LOL

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In Response to Re: Glen Davis- time to step it up.......... : Same for Semih in the post game?  What do you see that you like in his game? Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin

i'm not sure we've seen enough of semih to know what he could do.  seems capable of short jump hooks, has decent hands and can hit free throws at a nice clip.  i'm all for finding out what most anyone can do rather than just assuming you have better options on the floor.  after all, davis HAS taken over in some very important games in the past and dominated.  i'm sure he's not ready / may never be able to do it nightly but i'm sure we can get more out of him than we are.  just sayin'. 

i'm sure the same for semih too.  i also thought marquis was looking great in the pre season and then his shot count has hit the skids.  a little better in recent games, but still not the same production. this is a team that needs to find consistency where it can, rather than just ignoring potential sources of it!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

In Response to Glen Davis- time to step it up.......... : I thought big baby was excellent last night except that he allowed Dirk to shoot the winning shot all up in his grill.
    Posted by KOBEnumber5

Dirk is one of the best or maybe the best player in the league in regards to shooting over shorter players. Dirk's a former MVP and it shows. 
       Off the topic, but some Heat troll posted a few weeks ago here that Bosh is the best power forward in the NBA. Bosh isn't nearly the player Dirk is. Add K.G, Amare, Gasol and Tim Duncan to that list also.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

that's funny.  the best power forward for a guy with no power.  i mean kg has at least some inside game, bosh has almost nothing.  he gets nervous at the thought of it.  visibly nervous.  the only thing he does around the hoop is very occasional open dunks/tip ins.  other than that he's an outside gunner 4.  a better defensive rebounding bargnani in other words

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from oldtimerceltfan. Show oldtimerceltfan's posts

BB is doing just fine, I notice in that dallas game, that he got their respect. I don't know if anyone else notice, but I did. He got double teamed when he had the ball. I couldn't belive what I was seeing. His improvement demanded a double team. Go BB go.

Sections
Shortcuts