Globe writer: 5 year rebuild "at best"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Globe writer: 5 year rebuild "at best"

This was the next to last sentence in a Adam Kaufman article that appeared in today's Globe:

"So, how long will the Celtics’ rebuild last? Today, it looks like a five-year window, at best, and feels a lot longer. But, pending a top-three draft choice and some of those fireworks, another showdown with King James could come sooner than later."

I tend to agree. I think anyone who has followed this team for more than the past decade knows how miraculous the last rise from the dead was in 2007. In fact, such wheeling and dealing by past GM's produced some great players obtained through timely and fortuitous trades, but all such revivals, including 2007, were made possible primarily through drafts and luck, whether directly for players we kept or players and picks we bartered for other players and picks. This next rise from the dead will be no different. This is what history tells us.

Will we return to the playoffs soon? Two years in my estimation. Will we seriously contend for a banner then? No way, it will take several more years to finalize a starting roster and gel as a unit. To use the old bromide, Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither is a championship team. Don't forget, we had Paul Pierce, and obtained two probable HOF'rs by sheer timing and audacity in Ray Shuttlesworth and KG. That was luck and shrewdness to the Nth degree and unlikely to happen again in one off season.

So to the rest of the Celtics family I say have patience and try to temper "we're going all the way this year" bombast, because we're not. We're more likely going to slog this revival out one deal at a time over the next several years. I'm O.K. with that as long as we get to where we want to be - at the NBA finals.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Re: Globe writer: 5 year rebuild

Here's what I would do:

Keep Sully & Oly and trade everyone else we are able to unload and try to get draft picks and then bite the bullet for 2-3 years & build the team through the draft 100% when possible and our coach with college experience is the right man to lead young out of college players. I cite Golden State who got Curry & Thompson, the best front court in the game, I think, in the 1st round with Barnes too who starts. They might have won this year if Bogut didn't get hurt. Again, build mainly through the draft & unload anyone that' ll get us a decent draft pick.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

5 years is a long time to wait

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

i'm all for building through the draft with our stash of draft picks. i also think we have a few players to unload who may be desirable to the teams who were supposed to be tough in the playoffs this year but don't seem equipped to get over the hump. there are going to be a handful of playoff teams this year who think they are a player or two away from being legit. we need to capitalize on that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

In response to billge's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Only if you're in your 70s and watching the sands sifts through your hourglass.  :-)

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to Number6Fan's comment:

Only if you're in your 70s and watching the sands sifts through your hourglass.  :-)

=================================================================

Don't know your age but based on your comment perhaps you do not respect your elders. You will be elderly too..hopefully, maybe  etc. ??? However, your smiley symbol did lighten your comment and I take it, and I hope other Septuagenarians do too, as not totally offensive. Did you not respect your grandfather, father, uncles etc. In my Italian culture, we have utmost respect for older people.  But so you know, I don't watch grass grow & the sands continuing to fill my lifeline hourglass, thus what does keep me young, at least at heart and a bit physically too, I'm proud to state that the good Lord still allows me the following:

I play Super Senior over 65 & 70 USTA tennis tournaments and also a lot of singles and beat guys 30 years younger. Yup, I admit to using spin serves, slices, top spin, lobs, drop shots etc so it's not, obviously, a physical dominance. I jog a 10 min mile, swim 20 laps a day and earned a brown belt Karate belt 15 years ago at 60. I boxed in college and in the USMC. I am a combat Marine Officer Viet Nam Veteran.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Something like this is impossible to predict.

For example - in my opinion, if we can sign Hayward, draft Parker and trade for Asik we will make the playoffs next year. 

After making the playoffs, again IMO, it's all about keeping your team together.  Look at the Wiz, the Thunder and the Pacers.  All young teams with a good core of players under contract.

The Spurs are great, but are on the downside, the same for the Nets.  The Heat will be good only as long as the Big 3 stay together (or if they sign Gasol to replace Bosh who is leaving, IMO).

So we need to draft intelligently, improve, and keep the squad together.  We will be in the "next" generation of elite teams...............just a question of how many years that will take!

"Climb on my back, boys, and I'll take you home." - Cedric Maxwell

"You show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." - Red Auerbach

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr

If no Bynum injury, no Gasol trade - last word!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

SFBoston Fan, I say use what you got and learn them young whipper snappers...lol...I've been around a long time myself, am retired, and I'm also still kickin' chicken and stay active as well.

The C's can do it and will do it but it will take some time. There ARE other teams, young teams, that have talent and desire as well. And if the Heat retain their "big three" for several more years you can forget winning the east. So we all have to be in it for the long haul. But that's the thing. We old timers have more patience than the youngsters. We'll all be here to watch what happens!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

In my seventies, got no hourglass, butif this doesn't work you will also be five years older and the Celts might still suck , so lets do it a little faster, say three years.  Its not football, you have a small roster with only  eight or nine impact slots.  If you feel you have two or three young guys now , you need to add two or three each year to get to superior roster.  Draft, trade, and free agents.  Of course you can't make many mistakes.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

In fact if you aren't close to your seventies, you may be a #6 fan but you didn't see much of him  outside your crib.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

This is complete guesswork. No one knows who the Celtics will draft or sign as free agents over the next couple years. It could be two years, it could be ten.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

In response to SFBostonFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Here's what I would do:

Keep Sully & Oly and trade everyone else we are able to unload and try to get draft picks and then bite the bullet for 2-3 years & build the team through the draft 100% when possible and our coach with college experience is the right man to lead young out of college players. I cite Golden State who got Curry & Thompson, the best front court in the game, I think, in the 1st round with Barnes too who starts. They might have won this year if Bogut didn't get hurt. Again, build mainly through the draft & unload anyone that' ll get us a decent draft pick.

[/QUOTE]

Just like OKC did. built through draft by getting Westbrook and KD

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

If they draft well, make good trades, avoid any more terrible contracts, and catch a break or two, they can easily turn it around in 1-2 years.

...the King of the Rumba Beat...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

[QUOTE]

In fact if you aren't close to your seventies, you may be a #6 fan but you didn't see much of him  outside your crib.

[/QUOTE]

Sorry to anyone I offended.  But I'm in my mid-60s and mistakenly attributed your comment to the impatience of youth.

cheers --

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    LMFAO!!!,,,

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Post crib , I'm cool, no harm, no foul.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CeltsFanInNH. Show CeltsFanInNH's posts

May 20th will be the next step towards rebuilding. A top 3 pick could speed things up. 5 or lower means another Tankapalooza. Love is not going to bring the Cs or the Lakers a championship.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from fbombfury. Show fbombfury's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This was the next to last sentence in a Adam Kaufman article that appeared in today's Globe:

"So, how long will the Celtics’ rebuild last? Today, it looks like a five-year window, at best, and feels a lot longer. But, pending a top-three draft choice and some of those fireworks, another showdown with King James could come sooner than later."

I tend to agree. I think anyone who has followed this team for more than the past decade knows how miraculous the last rise from the dead was in 2007. In fact, such wheeling and dealing by past GM's produced some great players obtained through timely and fortuitous trades, but all such revivals, including 2007, were made possible primarily through drafts and luck, whether directly for players we kept or players and picks we bartered for other players and picks. This next rise from the dead will be no different. This is what history tells us.

Will we return to the playoffs soon? Two years in my estimation. Will we seriously contend for a banner then? No way, it will take several more years to finalize a starting roster and gel as a unit. To use the old bromide, Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither is a championship team. Don't forget, we had Paul Pierce, and obtained two probable HOF'rs by sheer timing and audacity in Ray Shuttlesworth and KG. That was luck and shrewdness to the Nth degree and unlikely to happen again in one off season.

So to the rest of the Celtics family I say have patience and try to temper "we're going all the way this year" bombast, because we're not. We're more likely going to slog this revival out one deal at a time over the next several years. I'm O.K. with that as long as we get to where we want to be - at the NBA finals.

[/QUOTE]

My God, finally someone get's it!  I've been talking about this since my time initially started on here.  Long story short the Celtics have a very very long road ahead.  Yeah, the time can be cut in half and that's only if you can persuade someone to jump aboard that has value.   Hope all is well!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

In response to Fiercy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Watch the 2014 Playoffs and you'll know guys like Kevin Love, Evan Turner, Spencer Hawes, Greg Monroe, Larry Sanders, or Gordon Hayward will not beat guys like Lebron James or Kevin Durant.

If the Celts are to become an elite team again, Ainge needs to get elite players.

The last time the Celts won a championship was when the Celts had 3 elite players.

Celts are not going to win a championship using borderline All-Star players against NBA superstars.

[/QUOTE]

+1

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

No one can predict the future.

But our's is bright....

2014 - two first round picks, ours and the worse of the Nets and the Hawks
    2015 - three first round picks, ours and the Clippers and maybe the 76ers
    2016 - two first round picks, ours and the Nets
    2017 - one first round pick, the better of ours or the Nets
    2018 - two first round picks, ours and the Nets

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

I can...we suck for the foreseeable future.....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Does rebuild complete equal a title? We will; have to keep the thread alive till then.  Have to check the BDC actuarial chart to see how many of us will be left by then.

Sections
Shortcuts