Going small, Doc Rivers is an idiot

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Re: Going small, Doc Rivers is an idiot

In Response to Re: Going small, Doc Rivers is an idiot:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Going small, Doc Rivers is an idiot : Rivers never went big. And when he went small in the fourth quarter, we didn't score for like four minutes. Don't make stuff up.
    Posted by Kirk6[/QUOTE]

Doc was big as we get when we started the game and Gortat killed us. We get outrebounded with basically anyone we put out there.  Can't blame him for trying something different.  I don't have a problem with that.  I have never been the biggest Doc supporter but he is in no shape form or fashion a idiot.   He has probably forgot more about basketball than you or I will ever know. Sure he can makes mistakes that us armchair QB's can question.  It that unit had won the game I suppose you would have still said he was a idiot? I remember some of your lineups and changes so I wouldn't be so quick to condemn.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Going small, Doc Rivers is an idiot : And how did that work out? I'm talking about Stiemsma. He played 2 minutes the entire game. I would try Stiemsma and Bass with Pierce, Ray, and Bradley. Or Stiemsma with KG, JJ, Ray, and Bradley. I think JJ is quick enough to play the three. But playing a team with no point guard and no center is stupid.
    Posted by Kirk6[/QUOTE]

I do agree about Steamer.  I have no idea why the kid doesn't get some run.  There is no way we woulvd be a worse rebounding team.  I know he would block shots and can move twice as fast a JO.  To me that is the biggest question mark, why doesn't he play more?  I don't care if he misses a assignment.  Somebody is obviously missing some.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrJohnnyMost. Show MrJohnnyMost's posts

Relax, boys. It's all under control. We're getting there... just a few more defensive stops and we'll be fine. The plan is good. We're almost there... The vets are getting into shape for the playoffs. The kids are getting some time. By the playoffs we'll be right there. Don't forget, we been injured. PP, Wilcox, JO, Dooling, and now Rondo. Bass and Pietrus give us a great bench. Just a few more defensive stops... I mean, they scored something like 80, right?? If we can hold them to 70, we'll be fine. Rondo will be back soon... and Dooling. It's all good.

Oh yeah?? Really?

Pass the kool-aid.

Please!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrJohnnyMost. Show MrJohnnyMost's posts

I think I'll see if there's a women's game on.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Yeah, if we can hold teams to in the low to mid 60's, we'll be fine. What's the problem!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Steimsma should get more minutes but only as a replacement to JON.  JJ can only play in spurts, he's clearly lost out there.  We've now seen that with Moore, he's just not comfortable yet and still has a lot to learn.   If Doc plays Moore and JJ more, we'll lose more (and they will develop).  So, his choice is to develop them and lose or try to win games and develop them more slowly.   I say:  develop them slowly and try to win more games - until early March.  If, by then, we are not in the playoff hunt, play the kids more and forget playing KG and others more.

But, going small was a solution when your starting center, JON, is so bad that he can't stop anyone and can't rebound and can't hit a shot.   He could have tried the Steamer more but Steamer has gone to the doghouse for some reason....can't figure out why.

Celtics need more size and Wilcox is NOT the answer.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Going small, Doc Rivers is an idiot : And how did that work out? I'm talking about Stiemsma. He played 2 minutes the entire game. I would try Stiemsma and Bass with Pierce, Ray, and Bradley. Or Stiemsma with KG, JJ, Ray, and Bradley. I think JJ is quick enough to play the three. But playing a team with no point guard and no center is stupid.
    Posted by Kirk6[/QUOTE]

Stiemsma with JJ and KG is even more of a disaster.  But, I would have liked the Stiemer with Bass, Pierce, Ray, and Bradley or Stiemsma with KG, Ray, Pierce, and Bradley.   Either way, Stiemsma should get more minutes, but not JJ.   JJ and Moore are just too lost.  Play them in the 2nd half of the season when its over for this team.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In Response to Going small, Doc Rivers is an idiot:
    [QUOTE]We are the worst rebounding team in the league, so what does Rivers do? He goes "small" and  Gortat gets 24 points and 12 rebounds. When is Rivers going to understand that interior defense and rebounding wins championships?
    Posted by Kirk6[/QUOTE]

Yes, we made him look all world, didn't we?   But the bigger problem was our offense and our rebounding, not our D.  We held them to a reasonable score.  We just can't put the ball in the basket ourselves.

Ray is just not aggressive and wasting space out there.  He was the leading scorer of the team at 14 points and he rarely tried to be aggressive until the 4th qtr.  Doc wants to get on KG about shooting more....he should be in Ray's butt about shooting more.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

Posted by Kirk6[/QUOTE]
    Come on, Stiems ma is not the answer either. To me, he 's a good shot blocker but not much else. Of course you can make the argument that JO is not as good a shot blocker and not much else. I'm sure if Stiemsma has game Doc would play him. You think NBA coaches are that clueless. Our bench is what it is, which is not very good.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

This thread and the reality of our big man situation just set it for me we are a lottery team.  Brittle point guards like Rondo and Dooling further seal our fate.

When Avery Bradley becomes the good story of game 14 of your season you can predict disaster ahead.  Trades will be made soon and I hope Bradley is one of them. Watching his primitive shooting skills and terrible floor leader abilities had me thinking he can traded now for his role playing defensive skills we do not have that luxury anymore of keeping him around anymore.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Face it, I said it preseason but many didnt buy into it.

We are not contenders. Our starters are not so good anymore. We'll get some good games here and there, very random & inconsistent. Its been that way over a year.

We have a decent bench, as far as individual players go. Its our starters where the problem is.

Id be playing Steamer, hes earned it imo but you know Doc... he sticks with the vets no matter what unless he takes a special liking to you. JON will have 1 good game in 8.. ditto KG... PP still has it imo but is slowly fading a bit, Ray can still shoot as good as ever, but his minutes will hurt him eventually.. and hes a disaster with the ball.

Whats left is Rondo, a one man fast break. 

Develop the young players they think will be around next year. This team may make the playoffs but is going nowhere. Sorry to say again.

They gave us great thrills since 2007 so lets not give them crap... not their fault, can only do what their body allows.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]This thread and the reality of our big man situation just set it for me we are a lottery team.  Brittle point guards like Rondo and Dooling further seal our fate. When Avery Bradley becomes the good story of game 14 of your season you can predict disaster ahead.  Trades will be made soon and I hope Bradley is one of them. Watching his primitive shooting skills and terrible floor leader abilities had me thinking he can traded now for his role playing defensive skills we do not have that luxury anymore of keeping him around anymore.
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

Why not showcase AB a bit and then decide if he's a keeper or not? What's there to lose? I'm not sure that he should be considered a luxury to have around. He is paid for and under contract. Anything he shows now is gravy.

DA saw something when he was drafted. Give the kid a chance. He plays with enthusiasm.

The disaster is not ahead. The disaster is an accumulation of what is already behind us.

Pud

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrJohnnyMost. Show MrJohnnyMost's posts

Steamer needs to play. Otherwise, when you need him, and they will, he will foul out in a quarter.

Of course, the same goes for all the kids, but we seem to be clinging to the hope that the vets will right the ship eventually. That hope is getting dimmer.

Apparently, the kids won't play until the Celtics give up on the season. We're a month away from that.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Going small, Doc Rivers is an idiot : That's because when Doc went big the Celts were bad. I watched the game, the Celts were better when they went small.  That's what I keep saying, if KG is our best big man then we're just a lottery team. KG and JO are done!
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

You may be right.  I really don't mind if we end up being a lottrey team.   It will just give us a much higher draft pick.   Considering how we are playing recently, it is a good possibility that this will happen.  

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

" He goes "small" and  Gortat gets 24 points and 12 rebounds"

there's no such thing as going big with our current lineup. It's only small and smaller. What you meant to say is that you wish Doc went small instead of tiny. 

I love how "Steamer" gets better and better each time he doesn't play in the eyes of our posters here. Yeah, he should have got some minutes, but let's not turn him into Ric Smith. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Going small, Doc Rivers is an idiot : Why not showcase AB a bit and then decide if he's a keeper or not? What's there to lose? I'm not sure that he should be considered a luxury to have around. He is paid for and under contract. Anything he shows now is gravy. DA saw something when he was drafted. Give the kid a chance. He plays with enthusiasm. The disaster is not ahead. The disaster is an accumulation of what is already behind us. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin[/QUOTE]
    I agree Pud the disaster occurred last Feb.  The result I am still reacting to.  I don't agree about AB but if he can help get something benificial in return, move him if not let's see what he can do.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts