Good for Stern!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

Good for Stern!

Stern Nixes Deal Sending Paul to LA.

We don't need the inmates running the asylum.  It was bad enough when James, Bosh, and Wade colluded to set up Miami as a super power, but this new CBA was intended to bring parity to the league, and having one of the major teams collude with a player to create another big market monster would be contrary to the intentions of the league to move towards parity.

It's a mess, but the NBA is a mess.  Better to get it all out on the table now and seek a resolution than to give in to the same ol same ol, rich get richer routine.

Stern Kills Deal.

-

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Re: Good for Stern!

Seriously?  Your only talking as a Celtic fan.  This is horrible for the sport.  The commish vetoing a trade because of pressure from other owners not wanting the Lakers to be a power house again.  Okay for Miami to have a dream team but nobody else?  The man in charge of putting the deal together for the hornets wants to resign due to this.  Stern did nothing about this until other owners got involved.

Hornets were getting a good deal out of this, now if they keep Paul and he walks next season they get nothing so you tell me how is this in the best interest of the hornets?  Players all around the league are not happy about this and they shouldn't be.  Too much power in Sterns hands, power he shouldn't have. 

No matter who you are a fan of, this is just plain wrong. What a mess Stern has caused.  Friday is going to be unreal!! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In Response to Re: Good for Stern!:
    [QUOTE]Seriously?  Your only talking as a Celtic fan.  This is horrible for the sport.  The commish vetoing a trade because of pressure from other owners not wanting the Lakers to be a power house again.  Okay for Miami to have a dream team but nobody else?  The man in charge of putting the deal together for the hornets wants to resign due to this.  Stern did nothing about this until other owners got involved. Hornets were getting a good deal out of this, now if they keep Paul and he walks next season they get nothing so you tell me how is this in the best interest of the hornets?  Players all around the league are not happy about this and they shouldn't be.  Too much power in Sterns hands, power he shouldn't have.  No matter who you are a fan of, this is just plain wrong. What a mess Stern has caused.  Friday is going to be unreal!! 
    Posted by TFB12[/QUOTE]

Agree with you.

Think about it... the NBA (owners of Hornets) trades Paul to Lakers, then they Veto it. LOL

THe trade certainly isnt weighted heavily in the Lakers favor so I dont get the problem.  Lakers get Paul and lose Odom & Gasol. Gasol has been one of the top 10 players in NBA for several years and Odom just won 6th man of year. This is a joke.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

well this just shows how much power the owners have over stern...the people to hate/credit for this are the owners, specifically dan gilbert because he still cant get over the fact that LBJ isnt in ohio anymore...that paul trade was ugly from the start, and im glad it didnt happen, but the reasoning doesnt make sense to me...unless of course it is because the nba doesnt want the players to pick what team they are traded to, and with the news that DH12 wants to go to the nets..does that mean the owners will veto any trade to the nets for DH? maybe these players are best off keeping their mouths shut about where they want to go..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Nothing wrong with players saying where they want to play. It's still up to the owners to make the trade.

The issue is players like DH or Paul have another year left on their contracts. If their teams dont make a trade and allow the contracts to expire, they will get nothing.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

[QUOTE]Nothing wrong with players saying where they want to play. It's still up to the owners to make the trade. The issue is players like DH or Paul have another year left on their contracts. If their teams dont make a trade and allow the contracts to expire, they will get nothing.

Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]

-

Maybe there should be no such thing as an unrestricted free agent in the NBA. 

Maybe when a players contract with a team runs out, and a player wishes to sign with the highest bidder or where-ever, compensation, adequate compensation, based on the players statistical place in the league, number of years, and the position played should be paid by the team that signs the player.

Some such system would insure that teams like the Hornets would be compensated by whoever signs the player who is walking, Paul, in this case.

Otherwise big market teams will continue to dominate the free agent market and players and teams will collude to game the system.

The free agent system is broken, at any rate.  What Stern did was put the brakes on. 

If NFL type parity is the NBA's goal then steps must be taken in that direction.  It's a mess right now in the wake of the Miami big three and now, players who want to gravitate to LA or NY to form super-teams.

-

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

Would you be saying the same thing if the league vetod a trade that sent Paul to the Celtics? 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Good for Stern! : - Maybe there should be no such thing as an unrestricted free agent in the NBA.  Maybe when a players contract with a team runs out, and a player wishes to sign with the highest bidder or where-ever, compensation, adequate compensation, based on the players statistical place in the league, number of years, and the position played should be paid by the team that signs the player. Some such system would insure that teams like the Hornets would be compensated by whoever signs the player who is walking, Paul, in this case. Otherwise big market teams will continue to dominate the free agent market and players and teams will collude to game the system. The free agent system is broken, at any rate.  What Stern did was put the brakes on.  If NFL type parity is the NBA's goal then steps must be taken in that direction.  It's a mess right now in the wake of the Miami big three and now, players who want to gravitate to LA or NY to form super-teams. -
    Posted by RajonRondowski[/QUOTE]

That sounds like a pretty good idea.

In this way teams wouldnt be in such a panic to trade players in their final year. If the player has any kind of no-trade aluse or veto power, they are left at the players mercy.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Some of you probably aren't old enough to remember that Bowie Kuhn, commissioner of MLB once vetoed a deal that would have sent Rollie Fingers and Joe Rudi to the Red Sox and Vida Blue to the Yankees......"not in the best interest of baseball."

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from N2thaIzzo. Show N2thaIzzo's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Good for Stern! : That sounds like a pretty good idea. In this way teams wouldnt be in such a panic to trade players in their final year. If the player has any kind of no-trade aluse or veto power, they are left at the players mercy.
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]

I don't know why people can't see that it's ownerships fault that these players are leaving?  What has NO done to make CP want to stay?  What has Denver done to make Melo want to stay?  Cleveland and LeBron?  Those are inarguably 3 of the best players in the NBA and ownership couldn't put the proper pieces around them to make them want to stay.  Look at what LeBron was playing with in Cleveland...  would you stay playing with that?  I'm not saying those guys will win a title, but if I'm gonna lose, I'd rather lose while living in LA, NY, or Miami.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]Would you be saying the same thing if the league vetod a trade that sent Paul to the Celtics? 
    Posted by jalvis[/QUOTE]
    Of course because this is wrong.  I really couldn't care less to be honest with you, on one hand the Lakers were getting a great PG but giving up two very good big men leaving them with the possibility of only having Bynum who is injury prone. 

This is more about principle.  It's wrong, it makes the NBA look bad.  Just think if CP3 leaves after this season the Hornets get zip.  And the NBA is supposed to be running the Hornets, or killing the hornets?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

-

Good Background on NBA Decision

Ian Thomsen  is a well respected writer on all things NBA and a very good guest commenter on Sports TV.  His take in SI just came out on the web and has an excellent take on the NBA action nixing the Paul trade and the reasons behind what can only be described as an ongoing problem stemming from the owners not holding out for a hard salary cap.  It seems their compromise to get a season underway will bite them in the butt for as along as this contract is in effect.  Expect the next contract to have a hard cap or no season will ensue.

-

The initial response by the league is understandable. It follows years of simmering arguments that were not cooled by the new collective bargaining agreement, which five owners refused to ratify on the same day the Hornets' trade was canceled. Bad feelings remain about the outcome of the lockout negotiations, because it maintained a soft cap that won't prevent the Lakers from outspending the rest of the league, even after a more punitive luxury tax takes effect in two years.

-

Getting new ownership in place for the Hornets is crucial for the league at this point, says Thomsen.  I say the NBA has always been a mess and it's still a mess and we went through that dumb lockout for basically nothing except a few more dollars in the owners pocket but no true path to parity, just revenue sharing which will still allow some owners to pocket money from big market teams while underspending on their own teams salary and not really seeking to be competitive.

Read I-Thom below.

Nixed Paul trade  shows trouble with NBA owning Hornets

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Stern only did this because the owners, who technically own N.O. right now forced his hand.  Stern would love CP3 in L.A.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

[QUOTE] Stern only did this because the owners, who technically own N.O. right now forced his hand.  Stern would love CP3 in L.A.

Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

-

I don't understand the splitting of hairs here or why it matters who did what.  The League did it, the NBA did it.  Stern works for the NBA.

What documentation do you have that Stern would love Paul in LA?  What documentation do you have that the owners forced his hand? 

The NBA vetoed the trade. 

The NBA is comprised of owners who hired Stern as Commissioner to represent the interests of the League, i.e the owners.

I don't understand the point of your post.  How does it advance the discussion?

-

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Good for Stern! : - I don't understand the splitting of hairs here or why it matters who did what.  The League did it, the NBA did it.  Stern works for the NBA. What documentation do you have that Stern would love Paul in LA?  What documentation do you have that the owners forced his hand?  The NBA vetoed the trade.  The NBA is comprised of owners who hired Stern as Commissioner to represent the interests of the League, i.e the owners. I don't understand the point of your post.  How does it advance the discussion? -

It is the whole point of the discussion.  The 29 other owners own the Hornets and used that leverage to have this deal vetoed (for now).  If the NBA didn't own the Hornets there is no way this deal gets vetoed.

You're right, Stern doesn't want superstars in big markets.... way to advance the discussion.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Good for Stern!:
    [QUOTE]Stern Nixes Deal Sending Paul to LA. We don't need the inmates running the asylum.  It was bad enough when James, Bosh, and Wade colluded to set up Miami as a super power, but this new CBA was intended to bring parity to the league, and having one of the major teams collude with a player to create another big market monster would be contrary to the intentions of the league to move towards parity. It's a mess, but the NBA is a mess.  Better to get it all out on the table now and seek a resolution than to give in to the same ol same ol, rich get richer routine. Stern Kills Deal. -

Colluded?  James and Bosh were free agents and chose to go to Miami, that is not collusion, that is free market capitalism.  Garnett to Boston and Gasol to L.A. are way closer to collusion due to McHale and West benefitting their former teams.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Good for Stern! :   It is the whole point of the discussion.  The 29 other owners own the Hornets and used that leverage to have this deal vetoed (for now).  If the NBA didn't own the Hornets there is no way this deal gets vetoed. You're right, Stern doesn't want superstars in big markets.... way to advance the discussion.

Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

-

What's the point of the whole discussion? 

It's common knowledge that the League owns the Hornets, not just the "other29 teams" but the League as a whole, including the Lakers.

It's also common knowledge, of course, that the problem is the league owning the Hornets -- that was the point of Thomsen's article, right?

So why is it an important point that Stern would love Paul in LA?

The NBA wishes to move toward NFL type parity which would mean that they no longer want "star" player's to only gravitate to big market teams.  I would think Stern would now be on the same page as the owners and is even guiding them in that direction or at least giving lip service to the idea.

I think the point of the whole discussion has become what a mess the NBA is now, post labor dispute, but what's new:  it's always been a corrupt mess that NBA fans just have to live with or not watch. 

But we don't have to like it.

-

http://rajonrondowski.blogspot.com/

-

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Good for Stern! : - What's the point of the whole discussion?  It's common knowledge that the League owns the Hornets, not just the "other29 teams" but the League as a whole, including the Lakers. It's also common knowledge, of course, that the problem is the league owning the Hornets -- that was the point of Thomsen's article , right? So why is it an important point that Stern would love Paul in LA? The NBA wishes to move toward NFL type parity which would mean that they no longer want "star" player's to only gravitate to big market teams.  I would think Stern would now be on the same page as the owners and is even guiding them in that direction or at least giving lip service to the idea. I think the point of the whole discussion has become what a mess the NBA is now, post labor dispute, but what's new:  it's always been a corrupt mess that NBA fans just have to live with or not watch.  But we don't have to like it. - http://rajonrondowski.blogspot.com/ -

The NBA will never be able to move towards NFL type parity for the simple reason that in the NFL you have to fill out a 50 man roster but only need 12 in the NBA.  As we've seen the past few years, the top 5 players in the NBA can largely dictate the balance of power.  Realistically speaking, there has never been parity in the NBA, 2 teams own 1/2 the championships.  It is and always has been a superstars league, more so than the other major sports.

Unless the NBA chooses to attempt to restrict player movement there is no reason to suspect that the best players won't continue to flock towards larger markets. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DeweyCBoston. Show DeweyCBoston's posts

Im glad that CP wont be a Laker today, but Boston couldve made a better offer if DA was risking alienation of our current point guard, right? IDK, Pray for the best.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

No, no, no. What Stern has really done is put the Knicks in the running for Paul - just what the Commish was intending all along - to bring NY (his home town) back to prominence.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LakerFan67. Show LakerFan67's posts

Bad for the league! You put the cabash on a trade that benefitted 2 small market teams & hurt the Lakers. Was Stern saving the Lakers from themselves? I know the Lakers were attempting to lure D Howard to L.A. sending away contracts but there never is any guarantee that your best laid plans comes to fruition.

Now Howard wants to go to the Nets & Deron Williams has admitted that he's had discussions with DH about signing with the Nets. It's only collusion if ownership was talking & not players (splitting hairs).

If Stern wants to keep the league honest, he had no business stopping Laker-Houston-NO trade. I'm glad he stopped it because the Laker team was gutted but I don't like such unilateral decisions that are influenced by competing franchises. Gilbert & Cuban have no business trying to affect trades when they are competing in the same arena.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]Bad for the league! You put the cabash on a trade that benefitted 2 small market teams & hurt the Lakers. Was Stern saving the Lakers from themselves? I know the Lakers were attempting to lure D Howard to L.A. sending away contracts but there never is any guarantee that your best laid plans comes to fruition. Now Howard wants to go to the Nets & Deron Williams has admitted that he's had discussions with DH about signing with the Nets. It's only collusion if ownership was talking & not players (splitting hairs). If Stern wants to keep the league honest, he had no business stopping Laker-Houston-NO trade. I'm glad he stopped it because the Laker team was gutted but I don't like such unilateral decisions that are influenced by competing franchises. Gilbert & Cuban have no business trying to affect trades when they are competing in the same arena.
    Posted by LakerFan67[/QUOTE]

You mean KIBOSH??  And the team is owned by the league.  therefore, when it is sold, I'm sure that deal will be all set to go through.  But no one will buy a team with zero value, wouldn't you agree.  Stern explained it all very well, I thought!!

Sections
Shortcuts