Good to see rondo back on track

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pliu. Show pliu's posts

Re: Good to see rondo back on track

Orlando's a good team.  Rondo was out there at the end and he stayed in role as did Allen and Pierce who drained the big shots.

Are you saying that Orlando messed up by not forcing Rondo into being the closer ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

pliu, I think Rondo should look for his own offense more, especially at crunch time, because he is the player left alone most often to take the shot.  Yet, he STILL dribbles out front so much looking to make that assist.  If Rondo was aggressive enough to attack the rim 5 times a game, he'd increase his scoring because he'd either make the layup or get fouled.  I have never seen an elite PG so reluctant to go to the hoop.

Yesterday was a prime example.  On at least three occasions, he got past Nelson and had a beat towards the rim.  Only once, he took it to the rim and made the layup before Howard could get to it.  On one of the other occasions, he threw the ball out near the Magic bench all the way to Baby.  Baby then got to the rim where he drew a foul.  All he had to do was attack the rim and he had a layup.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to Re: Good to see rondo back on track:
    [QUOTE]Orlando's a good team.  Rondo was out there at the end and he stayed in role as did Allen and Pierce who drained the big shots. Are you saying that Orlando messed up by not forcing Rondo into being the closer ?
    Posted by pliu[/QUOTE]

He could at least be a decoy... or better yet make a play going toward the basket. 

The kid was standing there on the weak side waving his arms with no one in his zipcode.

Agreed... if he doesn't have a shot, why being looking for it.

He doesn't... and he doesn't.

Pud

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pliu. Show pliu's posts

You have made the point that Rondo has never made a game winning buzzer beater.  However the one time he did score at the buzzer to tie a game, Allen, Pierce and Garnett were, ironically, the decoys for  Rondo's game tying alley-oop as the defense keyed on them ignoring the non-shooting Rondo which allowed him to sneak in.

I thought this was just a beautiful example of turning a weakness into a strength.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]You have made the point that Rondo has never made a game winning buzzer beater.  However the one time he did score at the buzzer to tie a game, Allen, Pierce and Garnett were, ironically, the decoys for  Rondo's game tying alley-oop as the defense keyed on them ignoring the non-shooting Rondo which allowed him to sneak in.
    Posted by pliu[/QUOTE]

I'm sure you have a relevant point here somewhere.

RA, KG and PP are legit decoys. Rondo is not.

Pud

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

There is no Rondo problem Acie stop spouting ignorance

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

I think acie overdoes it but he does have a point. Rondo driving more to the basket will result in (more) fouls. I don't know the numbers but I think we're consistently drawing fewer fouls than our opponents. Some on here blame the refs, but its more likely to be (lack of) penetration imo.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from gtown07. Show gtown07's posts

[QUOTE]I think acie overdoes it but he does have a point. Rondo driving more to the basket will result in (more) fouls. I don't know the numbers but I think we're consistently drawing fewer fouls than our opponents. Some on here blame the refs, but its more likely to be (lack of) penetration imo.
    Posted by basketbert[/QUOTE]

We also represent the highest shooting percentage in the league and the most assists per game. Could it be the Celtics get fouled less, and have a higher shooting percentage and the high assists per game because our scorers take more wide open shots? Also damages your ability to get offensive rebounds when the ball goes in. 

I wonder if Rondo has anything to do with that? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]I think that what I said applies to crunch time as well.   Why should Rondo look more for his own offense at close out time when that's the reason we have Pierce, Allen and, to a lesser extent, Garnett?
    Posted by pliu[/QUOTE]

my perception of rondo's ultimate role is to set the table early in the game, and sometimes that will be for himself when he has a favorable matchup.  if rondo goes out there early on with a killer instinct then it makes this team have to work so much less hard down the stretch and the key cogs like garnett, ray and pierce will have more left in the tank  for the stretch run of games, esp. important playoff games if rondo goes out there and sets up the easy ones for others and ALSO gets the low hanging fruit that is there for himself.

instead of increasing the amount of his own taking the low hanging fruit this year, he is now over-passing.  come playoff time when the defenses tighten up, you can't do that.  you have to seize what's there when it's there, not swing the ball again counting on easy looks showing up again in the same 24 second shot clock.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]pliu, I think Rondo should look for his own offense more, especially at crunch time, because he is the player left alone most often to take the shot.  Yet, he STILL dribbles out front so much looking to make that assist.  If Rondo was aggressive enough to attack the rim 5 times a game, he'd increase his scoring because he'd either make the layup or get fouled.  I have never seen an elite PG so reluctant to go to the hoop. Yesterday was a prime example.  On at least three occasions, he got past Nelson and had a beat towards the rim.  Only once, he took it to the rim and made the layup before Howard could get to it.  On one of the other occasions, he threw the ball out near the Magic bench all the way to Baby.  Baby then got to the rim where he drew a foul.  All he had to do was attack the rim and he had a layup.
    Posted by Petey62[/QUOTE]

thank you petey.  nearly 100% of the time in games rondo is quicker than the man guarding him yet he rarely uses his quickness to break things down and get the easy scores for FEAR OF BEING FOULED AND GOING TO THE FREE THROW LINE.

it is a major problem, a painfully simple problem, that this kid has to conquer for this team to really win it all this year, or even go deep.

and nelson in particular is NOT a good defensive player.  he is prone to getting foul trouble.  and if you abuse him and he doesn't get fouls himself then at least you are damaging him mentally.

this is all the kind of killer instinct stuff that is lacking from rondo's game most of the time, because he hasn't had the killer instinct to slay his own demons and conquer his ONLY major weakness in his game- the shot.

and then once he conquers the shot he can hone in his defensive skills, which could be all nba defensive in a meainginful, non-gambling-for-steals kind of way.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]I think acie overdoes it but he does have a point. Rondo driving more to the basket will result in (more) fouls. I don't know the numbers but I think we're consistently drawing fewer fouls than our opponents. Some on here blame the refs, but its more likely to be (lack of) penetration imo.

don't just think it.  believe it, because it's true.  we regularly give up a 10 to 15 FTA disparity, such as last night.

if there was some AGGRESSIVENESS where there should be in our lineup (read: the youngest quickest guys with the best skills advantage over their defender) then we could come a lot closer to break even on our perennial FTA deficit.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

We often don't draw fouls because we get easy shots near the basket with interior passing - and we don't get offensive rebounds which often end in foul shots.  We don't do a lot of hard driving to the basket, but we do a ton of scoring in the paint.  The foul shot discrepency is often about style of play, we almost never let anyone take an easy shot near the basket, we almost always strongly contest every shot.  In the last game Howard had one foul and zero blocked shots and we scored a ton of points in the paint, so while everyone is talking about how great he is, it really looks like he didn't play any interior defense and that's why Orlando lost last night to the Celtics.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Good to see rondo back on track : We also represent the highest shooting percentage in the league and the most assists per game. Could it be the Celtics get fouled less, and have a higher shooting percentage and the high assists per game because our scorers take more wide open shots? Also damages your ability to get offensive rebounds when the ball goes in.  I wonder if Rondo has anything to do with that? 
    Posted by gtown07[/QUOTE]

Sure he has, no doubt about it. I'm just saying driving to the hoop could pay off. Get the other team in foul trouble and get us (rather than them) a FT advantage for a change. FTs are higher percentage than jumpers.....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from gtown07. Show gtown07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Good to see rondo back on track : Sure he has, no doubt about it. I'm just saying driving to the hoop could pay off. Get the other team in foul trouble and get us (rather than them) a FT advantage for a change. FTs are higher percentage than jumpers.....

I'm not disagreeing with you totally as drive and kick is one of Rondo's tactics as it is Pierce and Allen. Layups are a higher percentage than FT's though. One layup is two points so anything over a 50% shooting percentage is equivalent to over 100% FTs. The C's are in the 76% range on FT that equates to 39% FGs. They are shooting right around 50% from the floor so baskets without fouls is better than fouls without baskets.

See what I mean?