GREED

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

Re: GREED

all about money - that's not going to help all the people who work selling tickets, working security, concession, reseraunts around the arenas etc.  really, in this economy their going to get all mucky muck over working out a deal.  really?  how much $$ do those players make, how much do owners pull in?  really, how many people, regular people does this hurt deeply?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConnectingRod. Show ConnectingRod's posts

Both the players and the owners have not learned their lesson.

The average attendance during the shortened season was 16,738 fans per game, down 2.2 percent from the 1997–98 average of 17,117 spectators per contest.[37] Ticket sales fell nearly two percent further in the opening months of 1999–00,[36] and remained under 17,000 per game for the following three seasons.[37] The league also saw television ratings drop for three consecutive seasons after the lockout.[38

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

To put in perspective, the players are stupid..is that a  surprise?

They're fighting for the long term benefit of the union... but what they lose in the near term (paychecks) wont be made up by the points they pick up in negotiations. 

The owners will be around long after all the players retire and are replaced by new ones. They are the ones with the biggest dog in the race. From my point of view, they own the teams so I still cant understand why they have to split anything with the players...

Also, the show of solidarity by all the NBA stars showing up is funny... only the highest paid stars were there,  having already made a fortune... wheres the lower paid guys at?? 

and... they sat in on the negotiations?? lol Im sure they contributed alot.. like Wade taking a personal offense cause Stern pointed his finger.. LOL They bringing street bargaining & in your face intimidation to a table full of billionaires. That'll help...

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lakersavenger. Show lakersavenger's posts

In Response to Re: GREED:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: GREED : Great post - but there is ONE star missing - noticeably absent............and that's why we call him ko-ME!!  Doesn't care about the Union, only about how HE can make money during the lockout.  Stephen A Smith has pondered aloud that ko-ME showing up might actually help the players.......but he won't!!
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11[/QUOTE]
    Hey Red, how about them Red Sox?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]To put in perspective, the players are stupid..is that a  surprise? They're fighting for the long term benefit of the union... but what they lose in the near term (paychecks) wont be made up by the points they pick up in negotiations.  The owners will be around long after all the players retire and are replaced by new ones. They are the ones with the biggest dog in the race. From my point of view, they own the teams so I still cant understand why they have to split anything with the players... Also, the show of solidarity by all the NBA stars showing up is funny... only the highest paid stars were there,  having already made a fortune... wheres the lower paid guys at??  and... they sat in on the negotiations?? lol Im sure they contributed alot.. like Wade taking a personal offense cause Stern pointed his finger.. LOL They bringing street bargaining & in your face intimidation to a table full of billionaires. That'll help...
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]

Great post, Karl.  koME is still speechless and only thinking of himself.  The second highlighted part is very true........trying to intimidate the owners?  LOL... they have the wrong people doing all the talking!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LAkeravenger. Show LAkeravenger's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: GREED : Great post, Karl.  koME is still speechless and only thinking of himself.  The second highlighted part is very true........trying to intimidate the owners?  LOL... they have the wrong people doing all the talking!!
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11[/QUOTE]
    Hey pal, how about them Red Sox?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lhtak. Show lhtak's posts

I do not think the league should budge, 50-50 revenue share sounds good to me. I do not understand why players/unions are not grabing on to it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

The players union thinks their purpose is somehow related to history.  Their nostalgia to be connected to guys like Russell who had a purpose when they formed the union is misplaced.  The average NBA salary is  over 5 mill per.  

I'm disappointed that the owners caved on getting rid of guaranteed contracts, it's the worst thing for the game.  Guaranteed contracts are an insult to the fans.

Funny and sad how Wade acted like a petulant little child when he told Stern not to talk to him as though he was a child.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

I want to see Lebrains and Wade serving fries at Mc doodles

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

[QUOTE]I do not think the league should budge, 50-50 revenue share sounds good to me. I do not understand why players/unions are not grabing on to it.
    Posted by lhtak[/QUOTE]
    The league spends a ton of money making big names players a big draw.  The players benefit in that.  Personally, I don't care about people who make millions a year squaking for more money.  Just bring in a bunch of scabs off the street who want to play and make them the big names.  If the existing players won't play - find some guys who will.  I don't care who plays - I just want to see my team play games.  These guys make millions per year, otherwise many of them would be flipping burgers or unemployed like so many people.  Really, in this economy you're too good to work for your millions per year.  Just find some guys who'll play and put a uniform on them.  I'd rather see that than listen to anything about people who make millions saying they're too good to work for that paltry pay.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: GREED : For me it is the ticket price, gas, parking, food.............not worth it when I can see it on tv.........and don't even tell me it is the atmosphere.........ain't worth the price
    Posted by damfuno[/QUOTE]

damfuno, I agree 100%!!

All pro sports is ridiculous in the cost to attend a game. Ticket prices, parking, anything eatable, bottle of water, soveneirs for the kids...you name it and it's grossly over priced.

Worse yet, you're frisked at the front door and any food or drink must stay behind. Dont want any competition for the wildly over priced concession stand.

Only time I go to pro sports games now is when someone offers me tickets. Then I take the kids out to dinner first, get them nice and full.... then go to the game and let the arena bathroom have what we just ate. That's our contribution.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

The upper echelon of the earning food chain is no more spoiled and out of touch than a few less educated professional basketball players.  The problem is not just the NBA or pro sports it is how society values the elite.  Hard times are coming and will continue and the NBA will get a serious wake up call.  Salaries will come down whether they like or not.  People for the most part don't have the money to pay.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from slicksteve38. Show slicksteve38's posts

If the players union were smart...I know...I know, stop laughing, I am semi-serious.  Anyways, if they were smart, they would tell the likes of Dwayne Wade to shut up and do what you do best, dribble the ball.  If you think men who put millions of dollars of their own money on the line to finance a team are going to listen to a guy who only got into college because of his jump shot, then left early...well...wake up.  Derek Fisher is a good representation for the players, he is well spoken and classy.  Can you imagine what went on through Stearns head when Wade did that?  If they play this year, watch the lack of calls Wade will get....i'm not kidding you, the league is fixed anyways, now it just got worse for the likes of Wade.  Notice Pierce sits quietly and observes....he knows better. I dont go into my board meetings at work spouting off, I observe and speak when the opportunity presents itself...Wade should try doing the same. he dresses like a business man thinking people will take him seriously....what a joke.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: GREED : yepper and the kicker is if you do go to a professional sporting event........you pay a kings ransom for the "priviledge" of seeing them and if you are like me......you get the nosebleed seat where it looks like a bunch of fleas running around..........why do that when you can sit in your comfy chair at home and see the game as if you had one of the seats where it only costs you your first born child........

So true... of course another thing I really dislike at games  (Im in NY area so its the Knicks or Nets games for me) is the constant racket and noise at every time out or intermission. I can never have a conversation about the game because the arena has to blast music every second ...

I would love a little quiet.... they feel people are all 3 yr olds that need to be entertained (if thats what they want to call it) every second during the game.

Fortunately I get ok seats most of the time. At Nets games it doesnt matter what seat you get cause the arena is usually 1/2 empty, so you can move to great seats  without much trouble.... but on the other hand, youre still watching the Nets

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Maybe the players are wrong, maybe the owners are wrong.  I don't know.  

But, I will say that its not the players fault that the league promotes players rather than the game.   The LEAGUE decided to promote "Kobe vs Lebron" rather than the Lakers vs the Heat or the Spurs team ball vs the Mavs team.  The C's don't get the respect in the league that the Heat or the Lakers get bacause their stars play team ball vs what lebron does.  So, what does the League promote....the team basketball concept?   No, they promote the individual player and his or her heroics.  Lebron is the biggest name in the NBA and has never won a championship.  That's promoting the individual rather than honoring the Championship.  Guarantee that wherever the teams return, the NBA will highlight the Heat and the Lakers and OKC and the Knicks more than they highlight the Mavs!

So, the players sell shoes because the league promotes the player.  That's the League's fault.  If they were like the NFL, they'd promote the game and when a player is gone, the team concept lives on.   I love teams like the Spurs and the Celtics because they play roles, not try to have one star carry the team playing "I can do everything".  Blame the owners and the Commissioner for the state of the NBA.   

And - its the OWNERS who offer these huge stupid contracts to people like Eddie Currie and Alan Houston (and James Posey's dumb Indiana contract).  The Players Union did NOT force such stupid contracts.  So, why blame the player?  Would you take a multi-year contract if someone was stupid enough to offer it to you?  I would!  The owners can make money if they simply showed some disclipline within the current system.   Then, maybe we could all afford tickets to games vs the stupid prices we have to pay now.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

[QUOTE]I am not sure that this is the case but when you consider that the players want 50+% of the revenue brought in by the NBA.......how about the NBA wanting their fair share of the sale of shoes, jerseys and any other endorsement that players get due to the fact that it is the NBA who is promoting their image.

good point

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

Its funny seeing what the players are up to now that the games are cancelled, tony parker playing in france for like 2k a month , brandon jeenings playing rec games with locals, durant schooling dudes at rucker. LOL. They need to realize without the nba theyre just some tall unemployed  dudes who  play ball, in the nba they are high profile superstar millionaires. Start their own league,LOL they cant even get more than 15 guys to show up to the negotiations. Clowns.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts