Grizzlies release Melo

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Grizzlies release Melo

This was a total waste by the Celtics.  And it was just last year.  I know he was considered a project but I really did not think we were in such a solid position to draft a project who very well might be out the league in his second season.

It's looking like Melo just won't be an NBA player.

We sure whiffed on that one.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevekubersky. Show stevekubersky's posts

Re: Grizzlies release Melo

That's the way she goes sometimes. Sully at least is panning out ok. Can't win everything.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from johconn. Show johconn's posts

In response to stevekubersky's comment:

That's the way she goes sometimes. Sully at least is panning out ok. Can't win everything.

Agreed. If Sully continues his upward development that draft will have been a success. Wonder where Melo will go now though. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

and at least we didn't have to eat his salary,,,

but I sense there is more to this.  Releasing him after only 2 weeks and before camp is curious.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from debrit. Show debrit's posts

In response to johconn's comment:

In response to stevekubersky's comment:

Agreed. If Sully continues his upward development that draft will have been a success. Wonder where Melo will go now though. 

He will be claimed by the Lakers and he will develop to be the next Kareen.Go Lakers

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

In response to Petey62's comment:

This was a total waste by the Celtics.  And it was just last year.  I know he was considered a project but I really did not think we were in such a solid position to draft a project who very well might be out the league in his second season.

We did whiff on Melo.  but I don't blame Danny.  Drafting Big men is always a crap shoot and high risk, especially in the late 1st or second round.  At least we didn't waste a lottery pick.  This is why I do not believe that we will get our much needed Center via draft.

and if it makes you feel any better, even BB whiffed on Ras I with the 33rd pick and Tavon Wilson with the 48th pick and several others in the NFL draft.  S*it happens.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigsmellybear. Show bigsmellybear's posts

BWAHAHAHA!!

Yeah we did...bigtime..he was hedious...and to think there were MANY here who kept on saying how great he was...the only thing he was good at was giving himself concussions!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

and at least we didn't have to eat his salary,,,

but I sense there is more to this.  Releasing him after only 2 weeks and before camp is curious.

We want to avoid the repeat offender luxury tax is all. It's a lot of money. More than Melo would have been worth even if he developed into a solid role player. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

No one all that good was picked after him. Late round picks best you can do is draft potential. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjetssuc. Show nyjetssuc's posts

In response to jtkl's comment:

No one all that good was picked after him. Late round picks best you can do is draft potential. 

Ahhh..Melo will be a D League legend...for crackin' his skull....that's about it..Melo, get back home on the first flight out and open a business checxking Brazilian bikini's on the beach dude, especially with all that $$$ you stole from the C's....he can't play but he made a stash!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"We sure whiffed on that one."

And every team whiffs on picks. 

At the position the Celts have been drafting in, your only choices are: 

1. Forget about drafting a genuine 7 footer

2. Draft a 7 footer who has some kind of major character or injury concern

3. Draft a raw "project" of a 7 footer and hope he develops

You can make an argument that in today's NBA, you shouldn't even bother trying to draft a genuine center anymore. 

If you're going to make that argument, then it was a wasted pick. 

However, if you believe, like I do, that a genuine 7 footer who can either play great offense or great d is still valuable in this league, then if you're the Celtics you have to roll the dice. 

"Whiff" means you had the guts to swing, but you missed. It happens. 

Ainge's track record on trades is not so hot but he has drafted pretty well over the years.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjetssuc. Show nyjetssuc's posts

Look....bottom line...Melo sucked then, he sucks now, and will always suck as a player...he's an all day sucker

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lbrad389. Show lbrad389's posts

In response to nyjetssuc's comment:

Nope... the Celtics are the Suckers!

Look....bottom line...Melo sucked then, he sucks now, and will always suck as a player...he's an all day sucker

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

In response to Mployee8's comment:

Okay, why is this is a wasted pick? Did we miss out on Michael Jordan in his prime. Who was the superstar picked after that makes passing on a 7 footer in the late round make sense. 

Finally a voice of reason agreeing with the minority of us, flabbergasted by Danny's wasted pick when he made it, no less!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

Finally a voice of reason agreeing with the minority of us, flabbergasted by Danny's wasted pick when he made it, no less!

What do you expect to get with the 22nd pick in a weak draft? We were (and still are) desperate for size. I wouldn't consider it a "waste". It was a gamble, pure and simple. I'ld only consider it a "waste" if there was still some talented prospects on the board. The only one i can think of is Perry Jones iii (6'11 stringbean type that we already had in JJJ at the time). Apparently DA felt a gamble was a better choice then who was left. If you were at Foxwoods, and GIVEN a token for the slots that you HAVE to spend then and there after the machine already hit... would you call that a waste? It's not like we can carry picks over to the following years' draft. I would have taken a chance on him too. We need size.

He gambled and lost. It's not like he lost anything of value really. Move on....

I'ld be willing to bet that everyone on here has made decisions that didn't pan-out. And when it didn't pan-out, did you like having your nose rubbed in it? When you're an exec, you're constantly making decisions. It's totally impossible for them all to work out.

Win some, yah lose some. I still like his track record, considering where his picks have been.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomobo. Show tomobo's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

In response to DrBoogiebone's comment:

What do you expect to get with the 22nd pick in a weak draft? We were (and still are) desperate for size. I wouldn't consider it a "waste". It was a gamble, pure and simple. I'ld only consider it a "waste" if there was still some talented prospects on the board. The only one i can think of is Perry Jones iii (6'11 stringbean type that we already had in JJJ at the time). Apparently DA felt a gamble was a better choice then who was left. If you were at Foxwoods, and GIVEN a token for the slots that you HAVE to spend then and there after the machine already hit... would you call that a waste? It's not like we can carry picks over to the following years' draft. I would have taken a chance on him too. We need size.

He gambled and lost. It's not like he lost anything of value really. Move on....

I'ld be willing to bet that everyone on here has made decisions that didn't pan-out. And when it didn't pan-out, did you like having your nose rubbed in it? When you're an exec, you're constantly making decisions. It's totally impossible for them all to work out.

Win some, yah lose some. I still like his track record, considering where his picks have been.

Mployee8 predicted Ainge would take Trey Thompkins with the 25th pick in 2011.

Back in 2012, Mployee8 wanted Ainge to draft PJ3 and Moultrie.

That would have meant no Jared Sullinger.

This year Mployee8 predicted the Celts would end up with the #7 pick, in a trade with the Kings, and Ainge would select Cody Zeller.

When it's about stuff that don't pan out, Mployee8 is the master.

HAHAHA

Laughing @ one's own joke is gauche, dewche

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

It seems that many are taking my comments to be an indictment on Ainge's draft history.  They are not.  This has nothing to do with Ainge's draft history.  Many are also simply "chalking" it up to "things happen" and "most teams whiff on drafts" but I don't care about "most teams".  I care about the Celtics and we whiffed badly.

My disappointment is that we drafted him AS A PROJECT.  When we selected him, we said as much so why do we draft this player, tagged him as a project and then get rid of him after only one year?  We could have drafted a player NOT considered a project, gotten more out of him than we got from Melo and possibly actually used him during our rebuild.

To me, a project is drafting someone like Festus Ezeli.  This cat played 78 games for the Warriors.  He is a project you can develop, you know he will continue to develop and play in the NBA.

It's not like we had any semblence of a center to back up KG anyway so why not draft a project who will be a project and play as one?  Oh Doc doesn't play freshmen.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

He was a late first round pick. He didn't work out.

Who cares?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

the day we drafted melo...i knew he was garbage..wasted pick.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from skinnyrexraptor. Show skinnyrexraptor's posts

They'll need him to carry Oden's crutches...

Sections
Shortcuts