Hail! Hail! Dan Shaughnessy!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mac1980. Show mac1980's posts

Hail! Hail! Dan Shaughnessy!

In case anyone missed this article.  This is what many of us have been trying to say since the trade.  Hopefully we're wrong. 

"I hated the Kendrick Perkins deal the day it was made, and I hate it even more today. 

Danny Ainge blew up his team. The Celtics were 41-14 when the trade was made. They were the top seed in the East, the most feared team in the NBA, consensus favorites to return to the Finals for the third time in four years. It was going to be the last roundup for the Big Three.

Something happened after the deal went down. The Celtics lost their mojo. They lost their way. While Doc Rivers tried integrating five new players and we all played the absurd “Shaq is coming back this weekend’’ game, the Celtics lost the top seed and the No. 2 seed. Rajon Rondo lost his standing as an elite point guard. Teams such as the Bobcats were suddenly confident playing on the parquet floor.

The Celtics are 14-12 since the deal and have lost 11 of their last 20. They were most recently humiliated by the Bulls and Heat, teams they figure to face if they get past the Knicks in the first round of the playoffs. For the record, the Oklahoma City Thunder are 20-7 since the All-Star break and have a chance to get to the Western Conference finals.

“I think we lost a handful of games in the last 20 that we should not have lost, and that’s not good,’’ acknowledged Ainge, the Celtics president. “Nobody wants that. I don’t think we had the resolve. I wish I knew why we weren’t playing well.’’

Coach Rivers says it’s “too simple’’ to blame it on the deal.

Call me simple. I blame the deal. Something changed. This team lost its toughness. It was the end of Ubuntu. The end of the Big Three Celtics as we knew them.

I’ve heard all the spin. Perkins was not Bill Russell. The Celtics were going to lose him and get nothing in return over the summer. Jeff Green was going to bring youth, scoring, defense, and rebounding to the bench. The Celtics were better with Shaq than with Perkins. The deal was going to make the Celtics better this year.

Baloney. The Celtics have gone into the tank, and the 39-year-old Shaquille O’Neal has played five minutes since Feb. 1 (he limped off with a no-contact calf injury April 3), but now we’re told he’s going to be just fine for the playoffs. He’ll be the first injury-prone, 39-year-old, 400-pound guy to return in game shape after a 2 1/2-month layoff.

Ainge still believes. And he says he’d make the same deal today.

“I think that we’re a better team and set up for the future,’’ he said. “I don’t think the trade has anything to do with why the team is not playing well. It’s easy to sit there and say it’s because of the trade.’’

If the Celtics don’t get out of the East, Ainge is going to get the blame — and not his four All-Star starters who are playing poorly.

“It’s good that the focus is on me,’’ said Ainge. “I just hope the players don’t use that as a crutch. When we made the deal, we were all on board.’’

It bothers me when Ainge says he probably would not have traded Perkins if he’d been able to sign him to a four-year deal that was offered last summer. That means this deal was about the future, not about now. A team with Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, and Kevin Garnett has to play to win now.

Ainge still believes in his team’s chances for 2011.

“I know I was worried about our team last year more than this year,’’ he said. “Paul was hurt and we weren’t able to get KG any rest.

“This year, our big four is healthier than last year and we’ve added some good firepower off the bench, especially with Delonte [West] and Jeff Green. We still have Glen Davis continuing to improve and I’m encouraged by Jermaine O’Neal and how he is physically.’’

What about the pipe dream of Shaquille coming out of mothballs to the rescue?

“I don’t think it’s a dream,’’ said Ainge. “I’m listening to my doctors and Shaquille and our trainer, and they all think he’ll be ready to go. I understand the track record. We all have some doubts about how long he will last because of what happened this year. I get all that.

“Right after the deal, we won five in a row and then we started playing terribly. But do you think the dip in our 3-point shooting and field goal percentage is because of Perk? Perk was not a guy that helped our offense.’’

What’s wrong with Rondo?

“I don’t know. He’s had a couple of really good games. He got some rest. Maybe he’s mentally and physically fatigued.’’

What about the myth of Jeff Green? He hasn’t rebounded or defended the way he was billed. He has had trouble assimilating.

“You don’t think 10 points in 21 minutes a night is productive for our team?’’ countered Ainge.

“Listen, we came in this year and had the best team that we’ve had in my time here for the first 45 games of the season. I believe we can return to that.’’

Not me. Kendrick Perkins isn’t walking through that door. Shaquille O’Neal might be walking through that door, but he’ll probably be limping out the door, and so will the Celtics — somewhere short of the NBA Finals."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rayman7. Show rayman7's posts

Re: Hail! Hail! Dan Shaughnessy!

Not a bad piece from the CHB.

He's got the same worries we all have, and he words it all very well, and I'm not a big DS fan.

What I'd like to know is this:  if it wasn't the trade, what is it?

And:  what is wrong with Rondo?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

I'm thrilled Shaugn of the Dead has joined the Danny Ainge lynch mob because THIS GUY IS ALWAYS 100% WRONG with his emotion driven analysis. The Celtics have issues, but a good 5-6 game series win against the Knicks would be a good start to turning this around toward Banner 18. I refuse to give up on the Celtics. Even though I sometimes criticize them - and Dan and others are free to do so - I'm too much a fan to say it's over.  And by the way, it ain't over, it's only the beginning...GO CELTICS!

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

The mistake was listening to Shaq.  

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

I normally don't care for Dan and still don't, but that piece was just about perfectly stated. The only flaw is that we need to see how this team does in the playoffs before we come to a final judgement. 

As for this:

"The Celtics were 33-10 without Perkins."

Yes, and that's because Shaq was playing well. Ainge rolled the dice on a 39 year old out of shape 7 footer and we're paying the price for that gamble unless Shaq can find his legs.

"We lost Shaq, Erden, and Perkins. The mistake was trading Erden."

LMAO - You realize Erden has played in exactly one game since the trade? Yeah he would have had a huge impact for us. 

Between two injured dudes I'm gonna go ahead and say the mistake was trading the one that is actually playing and is helping his team to a winning record. But you'll see soon enough in the playoffs what OKC can do.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

The ultimate irony this year would be a Chicago vs Oklahoma finals series.
    A Celtics final without the Celtics.
    That would be too much.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MinnesotaCelticsFan. Show MinnesotaCelticsFan's posts

I don't know...

I still think that it is too early to write off the Celtics.

Until we see how they respond in the first series of the Play-offs, I still have a wait and see attitude. I hated the Perk trade, but the Cs have played well with out him this year. Shaq will be back for the play-offs, and like last year the C's showed that they can flip the switch when they want to. There is nothing wrong with Rondo, accept an attitude adjustment. When the play-offs start,we will see if the adjustment has happened.

Do you remember last year?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

If we kept Perk we'd have had 3 weeks of a Baby/Erden center rotation and Harangody getting mins behind KG.

Wafer was the backup SF and Nate the backup SG when we needed guys who could rest Paul/Ray and someone who could defend Deng/LeBron.

Baby/Erden/DWest/Wafer and Nate all injured themselves within days of the trade deadline ending.

I'd like to know what the other options were before calling this trade a failure.

We couldn't have gotten the 2 guys I really wanted in Battier and Prince, I am 99.99% sure of that.

If Phoenix had been willing to deal Grant Hill or Jared Dudley the Celtic world would be a much happier place. Avery, a #1 and Nate (Dudley) or 'Quis (Hill) were FAIR offers and had PHX accepted either we'd still have Perk.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

The point remains that if we had the Nov-Jan Shaq coming back when expected (which was a week earlier than the March 14th game Perk 1st showed up in for OKC) we'd have the #1 seed right now.

Danny made a great trade on paper, a major youth and wing upgrade when the starters there are 33-35, a pick in the teens and a very good offensive C, worthy of maybe 20-24 mins on a contender.

Shaq played in 80% of the first 40 games. If he played in 80% of the last 20, starting w/ the 3/9 loss vs. the Clippers, and gave us the 9p-5r-1b he did early in the year, we have 5-7 of the 11 losses in that span turned into wins and the #1 seed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

shaughnessy's colleague bob ryan said on tony kornheiser's show this morning that the knicks have a 40-45% punchers chance, and that if the Cs survive that they're toast in round 2 against miami, whose trouncing of the celtics on sunday was far and away the most telling of their 4 matchups this year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MinnesotaCelticsFan. Show MinnesotaCelticsFan's posts

Kornheiser is an every-man fool. Shaunessy is an opportunist. It is likely that the the Knicks series will go for four games, but it will be over in five without fail.

Their is nothing wrong with the Celtic other than a Perk hang-over. They are not Old, they did not age in twenty games. They are the same guys that destroyed the NBA before the Perk trade. What has changed?

The play-offs will bring back focus.

Did everyone forget last year?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BoylestonBB. Show BoylestonBB's posts

'The Curse of Perk' anyone?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

I hope that he is wrong but I believe that he is right on this one. I also agree with Kirk6, the loss of Erden was huge. He is no Dwight Howard but he was more effective than the off-injured Shaq and JON, the slow-footed defense lacking Krstic, and the undersized trigger-happy(who can't shoot) Big Baby Davis. Perk was obviously better and more important than Erden but Ainge giving Erden away was basically giving away the least fragile and most effective backup center that Boston had.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

In Response to Re: Hail! Hail! Dan Shaughnessy!:
    'The Curse of Perk' anyone?
    Posted by BoylestonBB

I'd have to say that if there is a curse, it was applied right before all our guys started getting injured beforehand...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MinnesotaCelticsFan. Show MinnesotaCelticsFan's posts

Get over Erden, he was not the difference. He missed his mommy and he had to go back to Turkey. He was an adquate third Center, but not worth the ink written on the subject. Shaq and JO will be the starting and the back up Centers for the Celtics in the play-offs, as it should be.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

BP,

I met Bob Ryan in 1984 in Los Angeles.  I was living there and to make a long story short was introduced to him by a writer I knew.  Ryan sat down with us and told us that he regretted informing me the Lakers were going to win and the Celtics had no chance.  I was shocked and told him politely but firmly he was nuts.  He gave me a look like you are just a fan I am an NBA insider and I just told you the truth.

Well we all know what happened.  Whose to say it won't happen again.
    I saw him a couple of years later and reminded him what he had said. He was quite embarrassed I had brought it up and said he had underestimated Larry Bird's will to win.  Let hope he has made the same mistake again.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

nice story, concord. i don't know how "connected" ryan is at this point in regards to the Cs and the nba, but i've always been interested in and had respect for his take. shaughnessy's not so much, certainly not gerry callahan's. if i even had a point in bringing ryan up, it was that there are more than a few respectable opinions out there that are skeptical of boston. oh well, guess we'll be finding out about this team soon enough. this is easily my favorite sports time of the year. go celtics!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mogli. Show mogli's posts

This is why Shaughnessy is wrong. Check the Celtics record for the first half of the season when they played without Perkins. They were real good. The difference is back then we always had a healthy Oneal. That's what Ainge needed to make this trade work this year. He didn't get it so it was a disaster trade probably destroying the big three forever. That and the fact that the pieces never fit together for reasons no one can articulate. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BoylestonBB. Show BoylestonBB's posts

Truth is we have no played one game that matters yet, the actual season starts now.

The success of the trade will be determined in the next few weeks.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

BP, I met Bob Ryan in 1984 in Los Angeles.  I was living there and to make a long story short was introduced to him by a writer I knew.  Ryan sat down with us and told us that he regretted informing me the Lakers were going to win and the Celtics had no chance.  I was shocked and told him politely but firmly he was nuts.  He gave me a look like you are just a fan I am an NBA insider and I just told you the truth. Well we all know what happened.  Whose to say it won't happen again. I saw him a couple of years later and reminded him what he had said. He was quite embarrassed I had brought it up and said he had underestimated Larry Bird's will to win.  Let hope he has made the same mistake again.
    Posted by concord27

Love that story!  Just goes to show that no one from the outside can totally quantify a player's will to win.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

BP,
    Ryan was the best NBA reporter for many years.  He has been the dean of boston sports reporters over the last years and I think feels the need to have more of a national voice.  His lack of confidence in the Celtics however just parrots what all the others are saying over the country.  I think and hope they are wrong but what do I know. 

Shaughnessy as you say a always overstating optimism or pessimism.  He has been wrong more than he has ever been right. I just don't like him or respect him.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cshashaty. Show cshashaty's posts

Shaughnessy's job is to sell papers, and tossing red meat to the trade haters does that.

I don't see how we can judge the trade until the season wraps up. I still think DA is right, but the proof is yet to be seen.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tonyxx. Show tonyxx's posts

The point remains that if we had the Nov-Jan Shaq coming back when expected (which was a week earlier than the March 14th game Perk 1st showed up in for OKC) we'd have the #1 seed right now. Danny made a great trade on paper, a major youth and wing upgrade when the starters there are 33-35, a pick in the teens and a very good offensive C, worthy of maybe 20-24 mins on a contender. Shaq played in 80% of the first 40 games. If he played in 80% of the last 20, starting w/ the 3/9 loss vs. the Clippers, and gave us the 9p-5r-1b he did early in the year, we have 5-7 of the 11 losses in that span turned into wins and the #1 seed.
    Posted by rameakap

rame here's the problem.  doc should've played Shaq every other game from the beginning of the season and he most likely would not have injured himself.  doc does not know how to manage mins for a 39 yr old 425 lb player.  to much weight takes a beating on the frame which translates into fatigue.  shaq only knows one way to play and that is balls to the wall.  that's what happen and doc knows this now.  watch how doc manages shaq mins in post season if he even plays!

Sections
Shortcuts