Happy Thanksgiving to everyone (and just beating a dead horse)..

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Re: Happy Thanksgiving to everyone (and just beating a dead horse)..

In Response to Happy Thanksgiving to everyone (and just beating a dead horse)..:
    ...But the NBA officating is atrocious.  Pick a call....but that baseline non-call on Ray Allen was a text book hip check that six eyes did not see.  It was easy to get caught up in the "anti-Celtic" officiating mode, but the more neutral games I watch, it is pervasive around the league. Hope everyone has a great day!
    Posted by jallen3531

Agreed !  Have a great day everyone.  The officiating will never change.  It just keeps getting worse every year. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Why do you think the league is having to go to stricter technical rules than ever before?  It's no coincidence

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Yeah, but the thing is they're never consistent about it.  I watch a lot of NBA games and there's no question that certain teams (and players) never commit fouls.  The problem is, every time we post about it we sound like we're whining.  

If the league is concerned about an officiating problem, maybe they should watch the games themselves.  It's pretty bad.  In the 2010 NBA, a player can get hipchecked into the media floor seats with no call, but the moment he gets upset about the call he gets a T.  That's now a three point swing:  two non FTs and a T for the other team.  And that's a minor example.  I've watched guys get tomahawked under the hoop for no call, and the ref is standing beside the play. 

But if they don't care about it by now, they're not going to.  The ref's whistle is and always will be the great equalizer.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

The Ray Allen hip check was a bad call as well as the foul called against Nate when he was going after a lose ball.
        Some people may think " do you think you can do a better job?" My answer is a confident "yes."

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

It is not our imagination that the Celtics are not one of the teams that get preferential calls either.  Over and over again Pierce looks for a foul call rarely ever hearing the whistle.  How did a team so good, popular and deserving of calls at certain junctures not get in the group of elite preferred teams.

Teams I believe get the most help are:
    Number one the Lakers, how can there be a doubt.
    2. Any team Lebron is on.
    3. Orlando, Dwight has assaulted people and barely hears the whistle.  It because he smiles so much.
    4. Teams at home who have a crowd in need of a win like Toronto.  Except when it is the Lakers.
    5. Chicago, due to the desire of the league to have another winner there.  They get calls more than most young teams.

Of course this is of the top of my head and most likely completely inaccurate but for a winning team like Boston gets less calls than any elite team in the NBA. Before anybody says it is because of Garnett, Pierce and the history of the Celtics that is not a good enough of reason.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from showtime32. Show showtime32's posts

In Response to Re: Happy Thanksgiving to everyone (and just beating a dead horse)..:
    Number one the Lakers, how can there be a doubt. 2. Any team Lebron is on. 3. Orlando, Dwight has assaulted people and barely hears the whistle.  It because he smiles so much. 4. Teams at home who have a crowd in need of a win like Toronto.  Except when it is the Lakers. 5.
    Posted by concord27

You get that when you're the back to back World NBA Champions!

Oops, I forgot Boston wins their titles in clumps of 1....unless we go back to the 8 team league.

Have a safe holiday. Tongue out

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Well at least you admit it.  The party is over this year though.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jofc. Show jofc's posts

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

Officiating doesn't really favor any team or work against any specific team either.  I've lived in several different states and I can tell you this.

Local commentators ALWAYS whine about how their team never gets the calls.  There are enough bad calls in any game where that argument can be backed.  Fans generally just look for the calls that hurt their team.  It all adds up to EVERY fanbase feeling that their team is the one that gets the short straw when it comes to officiating. 

Go to any team's forums and you'll see the fans talking about how officiating hates their team.  It's the same everywhere.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Since the 1970's - the Home Team wins in the NBA about 70% of the time.  It is the biggest advantage in all of pro sports.  I did research on it, and the 16 playoff teams last year won 72% of their games, while in the playoffs, it "dropped" to 71%.  These are the facts, and they are not in dispute.  Home court advantage is pivotal in the NBA.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Yet the Celtics won consistently away from home in each series.  The Celtics except for game 7 were a good bet to win even on the road.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

In Response to Re: Happy Thanksgiving to everyone (and just beating a dead horse)..:
    In Response to Re: Happy Thanksgiving to everyone (and just beating a dead horse).. : You get that when you're the back to back World NBA Champions! Oops, I forgot Boston wins their titles in clumps of 1....unless we go back to the 8 team league. Have a safe holiday.
    Posted by showtime32

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

well, that 8 team league was pretty good for the Lakers.....they were able to advance to the playoffs with losing records 6 times....even made the finals once....swept by the Celtics but it counts using Hollinger's logic right?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schleprechaun. Show Schleprechaun's posts

Wow, the lakers really couldn't finish, back when they only 8 teams in the league. Intriguing....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Yet the Celtics won consistently away from home in each series.  The Celtics except for game 7 were a good bet to win even on the road.
    Posted by concord27

Were they?  The Celtics were 15-9 in the playoffs last year.  They also had a very good road record during the reg season.  In the 24 games they played in the playoffs last year, the HOME team won 15, or 62 % of the time.  So, even with an anomaly like last year's Celtics team, the HOME team wins most of the time.  Even though that counts in the stats I mentioned earlier, the HOME team wins in the NBA about 70% of the time!

Further breakdown - one in Miami, two in CLE, two in ORL and one in LA.
    Road record -
     MIA 1-1
    CLE - 2-1
    ORL - 2-1
    LAL - 1-3
    total on the road  6-6  50%  not bad

Home record -
    MIA - 3-0
    CLE - 2-1
    ORL -  2-1
    LAL - 2-1
    total at home 9-3     75%
    Coincidence?

The lakers last year in the playoffs were 5-6 on the road
    2 losses at OKC
    2 at PHO
    2 at BOS
    They played 23 games, that means they were 11-1 at home!

Numbers don't lie!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: Happy Thanksgiving to everyone (and just beating a dead horse).. : You get that when you're the back to back World NBA Champions! Oops, I forgot Boston wins their titles in clumps of 1....unless we go back to the 8 team league. Have a safe holiday.
    Posted by showtime32

I always love how Lakers fans forget they were part of that same 8-team league

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Yes they do....and for that fact....why does no one talk about the Yankee dynasty of years ago when they played in an eight team league called "the American League"?....which was originally a second league in and of itself (referred to even today as the "junior circuit" because the National League started earlier)....these were and are actually two leagues with different sets of rules that agreed to have their league champions play each other beginning in the early 1900's....also, any one old enough remembers the old American Football League that began in 1960...an eight team league that had it's own champions....the merger began two eight team conferences that led to the Super Bowl.....tremendous history in all three of the major sports that featured eight teams each....enough about putting down the Celtic dominance from the mid '50's through the mid' 70's....

Sections
Shortcuts