Has anyone ever heard Doc Rivers......

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

Re: Has anyone ever heard Doc Rivers......

doc has never let me in the huddle

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

No, Doc is nothing more than an ugly cheerleader!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

Whether you like or dislike what Doc does in any given game, he remains the third best coach in Celtics history.  And if you'd like to go back to the days of Rick Pitino, Chris Ford, Jimmy Rodgers . . . well, there's not a lot I can say to you.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JG9000. Show JG9000's posts

In response to Number6Fan's comment:

Whether you like or dislike what Doc does in any given game, he remains the third best coach in Celtics history.  And if you'd like to go back to the days of Rick Pitino, Chris Ford, Jimmy Rodgers . . . well, there's not a lot I can say to you.

you are way off to list Doc as the 3rd best Celtics coach ever. ahead of him, in order:

1. Red

2. Bill Russell

3. Tommy Heinsoln

4. Bill Fitch

5. KC Jones

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to Kirk6's comment:

......in the huddle remind his team to block out on rebounds?

Seriously?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Should he remind them to tie their shoes and pee at halftime?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

In response to JG9000's comment:

you are way off to list Doc as the 3rd best Celtics coach ever. ahead of him, in order:

1. Red

2. Bill Russell

3. Tommy Heinsoln

4. Bill Fitch

5. KC Jones

Well, we can disagree.  :-)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Doc reminds of of myself when I was 12 screaming at the TV to block out and pass it. 

I posted a couple weeks ago all I ever hear Doc say in huddles is the obvious...we need a stop, we need a basket....  I heard Pop on Tv the other day...what a difference, actually talking strategy and showing different looks etc.

As far as Doc being mentioned as an all-time coach for the Celts.. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from chetgnat. Show chetgnat's posts

I was taken aback a bit but what I heard him say yesterday regarding offensive rebounding. He said that "the older generation will get it eventually, that" (paraphrasing now) it's more important to get everyone back on D than to try to get offensive boards because of the athleticism of the players today. If you give them any opening, they can just fly up the court and get an easy basket.

I thought about it for a bit and I'm sure the idea has merit, but I'm also sure that there is a middle ground that can be reached, and the extra boost that an offensive rebound and "extra few points" can give a team has to factor in at some point. Also, if you do not get the rebound, that means that at least one member of the opposing team is still up the court with you, which means that you should have an even chance to be able to hustle back on defense regardless, not to mention the fact that by pressing the boards you may actually be able to force the opponent to keep more players at their own basket, rather than flying up the court.

Not that you were necessarily talking about offensive boards but there it is.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

......in the huddle remind his team to block out on rebounds?

Yes, I've heard him say, "Everyone on the glass" He also has taken players out of games for not blocking out See Jared Sullinger early in the year agasint the nets. 

Finally the Celtics are one of the best defensive rebounding teams in the league. They don't offensive rebound, but that is by choice in order to get back on Defense. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

In response to chetgnat's comment:

I was taken aback a bit but what I heard him say yesterday regarding offensive rebounding. He said that "the older generation will get it eventually, that" (paraphrasing now) it's more important to get everyone back on D than to try to get offensive boards because of the athleticism of the players today. If you give them any opening, they can just fly up the court and get an easy basket.

I thought about it for a bit and I'm sure the idea has merit, but I'm also sure that there is a middle ground that can be reached, and the extra boost that an offensive rebound and "extra few points" can give a team has to factor in at some point. Also, if you do not get the rebound, that means that at least one member of the opposing team is still up the court with you, which means that you should have an even chance to be able to hustle back on defense regardless, not to mention the fact that by pressing the boards you may actually be able to force the opponent to keep more players at their own basket, rather than flying up the court.

Not that you were necessarily talking about offensive boards but there it is.

Doc does not believe offensive rebounding is important.

John Wooden uses to say, "assume every shot is going to be missed and go for the rebound."

Of course John Wooden was the greatest basketball coach of all time.

Yes, and the game has changed since he coched college ball. Vince Lombardi wasn't interested in the passing game at all as an offensive coach. He would have to evolve his postion today. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

Kirk, The Guilty party was Kevin Garnett who left his man to help with the drive to the basket.  Garnett does that often. He is one of the great help defenders the game has ever seen. 

If KG doesn't rotate the hornets might have just one the game with the first shot instead of the second. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from heirplain. Show heirplain's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

In response to jtkl's comment:

Kirk, The Guilty party was Kevin Garnett who left his man to help with the drive to the basket.  Garnett does that often. He is one of the great help defenders the game has ever seen. 

If KG doesn't rotate the hornets might have just one the game with the first shot instead of the second. 

Check the replay. Uncle Jeff was boxing out Ryan Anderson and KG already had rebounding position after the first shot. But he didn't box out Anthony Davis.

right!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Do you guys really think Doc never says "Block out"?

Amazing.

Every coach even in grammar school says block out.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

Kirk  Doc does all the time and has been great at motivating players. KG had a mental lapse thats not on Doc.  Do we really have to remind a H.O.F who is in top to in points and top 15 in rebounds and one of the greatest Defensive players of all time to box out?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

In response to JG9000's comment:

1. Red

2. Bill Russell

3. Tommy Heinsoln

4. Bill Fitch

5. KC Jones

+1 , Doc is 6th

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

Amazing.

But Doc does not.

And how would you possibily know this KirK?

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Amazing.

But Doc does not.

And how would you possibily know this KirK?

Because his team never does it.

so the Celtics "never" block out and by this you know that Doc "never" tells them to.

What are you talking about?

Sections
Shortcuts