Has anyone ever heard Doc Rivers......

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

Re: Has anyone ever heard Doc Rivers......

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

Should he remind them to tie their shoes and pee at halftime?

yes along with shoot the ball with your right hand..

try to steal the ball from the other team...

slide your feet on defense

pass the ball to your team mates

and you get pizza and treats after the games..

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to Ortiz123's comment:

Should he remind them to tie their shoes and pee at halftime?

Why doesn't Rivers ever tell players to try and block shots?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

In response to Kirk6's comment:

In response to chetgnat's comment:

I was taken aback a bit but what I heard him say yesterday regarding offensive rebounding. He said that "the older generation will get it eventually, that" (paraphrasing now) it's more important to get everyone back on D than to try to get offensive boards because of the athleticism of the players today. If you give them any opening, they can just fly up the court and get an easy basket.

I thought about it for a bit and I'm sure the idea has merit, but I'm also sure that there is a middle ground that can be reached, and the extra boost that an offensive rebound and "extra few points" can give a team has to factor in at some point. Also, if you do not get the rebound, that means that at least one member of the opposing team is still up the court with you, which means that you should have an even chance to be able to hustle back on defense regardless, not to mention the fact that by pressing the boards you may actually be able to force the opponent to keep more players at their own basket, rather than flying up the court.

Not that you were necessarily talking about offensive boards but there it is.

Doc does not believe offensive rebounding is important.

John Wooden uses to say, "assume every shot is going to be missed and go for the rebound."

Of course John Wooden was the greatest basketball coach of all time.

How many nba championships did he win???

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JG9000. Show JG9000's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

Do you guys really think Doc never says "Block out"?

Amazing.

Every coach even in grammar school says block out.

But Doc does not.

And how would you possibily know this KirK?

Because his team never does it.

so the Celtics "never" block out and by this you know that Doc "never" tells them to.

What are you talking about?

if a basketball team doesn't box out that goes right back to the coach. it's that simple. if it doesn't happen in a game then it's get's addressed in the next day's practice. oh i forgot. Doc doesn't like to practice.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

In response to jtkl's comment:

......in the huddle remind his team to block out on rebounds?

Why do you think that we are rebound better as a team???

Probably just by accident...Im sure Doc has nothing to do with it...

Yes, I've heard him say, "Everyone on the glass" He also has taken players out of games for not blocking out See Jared Sullinger early in the year agasint the nets. 

Finally the Celtics are one of the best defensive rebounding teams in the league. They don't offensive rebound, but that is by choice in order to get back on Defense. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

In response to jtkl's comment:

Kirk, The Guilty party was Kevin Garnett who left his man to help with the drive to the basket.  Garnett does that often. He is one of the great help defenders the game has ever seen. 

If KG doesn't rotate the hornets might have just one the game with the first shot instead of the second. 

Because the guard penetrated all the way to the bucket....something that happens often with Rondo,,,but the guy got by AB...so the bigs have to rotate and help...they can't do that and block out at the same time...can they???Which is more important???

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

Amazing.

Thank You...Seriously..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to JG9000's comment:

Amazing.

But Doc does not.

so the Celtics "never" block out and by this you know that Doc "never" tells them to.

if a basketball team doesn't box out that goes right back to the coach. it's that simple. if it doesn't happen in a game then it's get's addressed in the next day's practice. oh i forgot. Doc doesn't like to practice.

So you also think that Doc Rivers has never once mentioned the words "bliock out" in his entire life.

YOu understand that this is not me defending Doc correct? This is just me being smart enough to know that every coach in the history of basketball says "block out".

Seriously amazing.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Why doesn't Doc Rivers tell the Celtics to not turn the ball over?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

In response to JG9000's comment:

Amazing.

But Doc does not.

And the next time they lose by a three pts shot, its because Doc doesn't teach defense..

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

I don't get why Doc doesn't tell Randolph to shoot better.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

Amazing.

But Doc does not.

Kirk what is your source???

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to Ortiz123's comment:

And if he were a baseball coach, "throw strikes."

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from candre99. Show candre99's posts

Doc is an awful coach

And Angie a terrible gm

Unless they are losing on purpose 

They are doing a terrible job 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Say I was 12 years old and my dad caught me smoking a cigarette, he'd have knocked the krap out of me...no second chances...   If he caught me sneakin a beer, he'd have yelled at me, asked what the H*** is wrong with me... and cut me a second chance by the skin of my teeth... If I got a bad report card, he'd hover over me, check all my homework and quizzed me himself for the next 2-3 weeks... sure, it wouldnt last the entire next marking period but I knew if a month later (after he eased up a bit) he could test me again and if I didnt know my stuff, the roof would come down..

Why am I saying all this stuff?? Cause I equate Doc's poor coaching  to being a poor parent... How his players can make the same fundamental errors over n over and continue to pile up the PT is beyond me.  Theres no consequence to their actions. Instead, the appear to be rewarded. Heck, it even goes the other way... some guys off the bench that do great things and arent rewarded, just benched for who knows how long... Randolph's a good example.

As in our world of politics, leadership and almost anywhere  else you look....theres a lack of accountability which accepts mediocre performance... and often times encourages it. I place Doc Rivers in that category

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Why doesn't Ainge tell Doc to coach better?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

If doc had to step aside temporarily for family or health issues and the Cs suddenly won say 8 games in a row like they did when R9R tore his ACL or 14 out of 20... with everyone finally gets PT based on performance... would that just prove how great a coach doc really is?

After all, they say  his players really do love doc. Everyone want to play for doc... we all know... because Hubie Brown and Magic said so.

Sigh...... OK I know this is lame.... let me try another angle

If DA felt compelled to go full time reassuring/loving on R9R and as such didn't have time to oversee Celtic basketball operations... and on draft night the Cs chose a big based on BDC poll results which call for trading R9R for either a ham sandwich or a Top 5 pic... and that pic turns out to be awesome.. wouldn't that just show that DA is the GM genius that Mike Fratello and Jon Barry and Magic  say he is?

My point you ask????

Thank goodness for current Celtic management.

Lets hope just like Rondo.... that they aren't going anywhere.

Pud  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to Karllost's comment:

Say I was 12 years old and my dad caught me smoking a cigarette, he'd have knocked the krap out of me...no second chances...   If he caught me sneakin a beer, he'd have yelled at me, asked what the H*** is wrong with me... and cut me a second chance by the skin of my teeth... If I got a bad report card, he'd hover over me, check all my homework and quizzed me himself for the next 2-3 weeks... sure, it wouldnt last the entire next marking period but I knew if a month later (after he eased up a bit) he could test me again and if I didnt know my stuff, the roof would come down..

Why am I saying all this stuff?? Cause I equate Doc's poor coaching  to being a poor parent... How his players can make the same fundamental errors over n over and continue to pile up the PT is beyond me.  Theres no consequence to their actions. Instead, the appear to be rewarded. Heck, it even goes the other way... some guys off the bench that do great things and arent rewarded, just benched for who knows how long... Randolph's a good example.

As in our world of politics, leadership and almost anywhere  else you look....theres a lack of accountability which accepts mediocre performance... and often times encourages it. I place Doc Rivers in that category

Two problems with that analogy, Karl:

1. These are grown men, not 12 years olds.

2. If Doc's going bench players for fundamental mistakes, that would include Pierce, KG, Terry, and everyone. KG gave up the winning basket against the Hornets by simply not boxing out ... should Doc bench KG and start Shavlik Randolph?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to puddinpuddin's comment:

If doc had to step aside temporarily for family or health issues and the Cs suddenly won say 8 games in a row like they did when R9R tore his ACL or 14 out of 20... with everyone finally gets PT based on performance... would that just prove how great a coach doc really is?

After all, they say  his players really do love doc. Everyone want to play for doc... we all know... because Hubie Brown and Magic said so.

Sigh...... OK I know this is lame.... let me try another angle

If DA felt compelled to go full time reassuring/loving on R9R and as such didn't have time to oversee Celtic basketball operations... and on draft night the Cs chose a big based on BDC poll results which call for trading R9R for either a ham sandwich or a Top 5 pic... and that pic turns out to be awesome.. wouldn't that just show that DA is the GM genius that Mike Fratello and Jon Barry and Magic  say he is?

My point you ask????

Thank goodness for current Celtic management.

Lets hope just like Rondo.... that they aren't going anywhere.

Pud  

this thread isn't about Doc being a good coach.

It's about Kirk knowing that Doc has never once said the words "block out" Ever.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

this thread isn't about Doc being a good coach.

It's about Kirk knowing that Doc has never once said the words "block out" Ever.

I agree with Kirk. I've never heard Doc specifically tell  his team to box out in the times I've personally sat in the Celtics' huddle.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

I think I would blame it on our rotating zone defense scheme.  Our players are not in good position to block out and rebound when they are constantly rotating and moving to help the other guys on defense.  Not sure how we get around that but other teams do not rotate as much as we do on defense.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mikekane3334. Show Mikekane3334's posts

The real issue IMO is that there don't seem to be any consequences for screwing up.  Doc says something over and over but since he doesn't ever back that up by doing something, the players just keep on doing what they want.  He should bench whomever screws up, Pierce, KG whomever.  There has just got to be some accountability on these player's parts.  If you don't blockout and it costs us the game, as it did the other night, Doc should have been all over KG's butt.  But what does he do? Nothing.  Oh well, KG missed a blockout and we lost.  If he was a good coach and gave a crap he would have done something about it.  Maybe if KG didn't start the next game because he screwed up, the next time he might blockout!  Doc has no b.lls when it comes to managing the vets.  And by the way, I was hoping that bringing in some bigs would help us in the rebounding category but I forgot.  They can only play in practice and when the game is already decided!  I'm sick of Doc.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

It's not that Doc is a bad coach,it's he has success doing things one way and changing that has been challenging for doc. We have a different roster than the last few years and we need to finish games differently and develop a new system for O rebounding. Our offense has been at the top of offensive execution for about 5 years,now we have more energy and tough matchup guy,but not sharpshooters. Pierce isn't the lock he was and sticks the ball and has had bad timing on many of his passes.

I've been saying for a while we succeed when we shoot our 1st shot before 13 seconds left on the 24 clock. When we shoot with less than 8 on the clock we shoot about 20%. I know last second shots make for great highlites but it is not a way to run an efficient offense.

We suc k at O rebounding because Doc wants everybody but the shooter getting back. How many times when someone misses a shot we have either 1 or none players following missed shots against 3- 4 opponents. You can only play like that when you have a team of high percentage shooters.We used to be that team but not now we're not. PP and KG are shooting their lowest FG% since they've been together. We need to have more people hitting the boards. We win when 4-5 players 4-6 rebounds, we have no dominating board vacuum,but we do have a bunch of athletic players that could get a bunch more rebounds with a slight tweaking of our offensive sets.

DA has put together the best team he could under the present financial situation, a team that can and is contending. I feel though Doc has done better in spurts he needs to adapt and buy into his present roster whole heartedly or we will not reach our teams capabilities. I think Doc is a very good coach,but he needs to sop listening to Tull's "Living in the Past" and start listening to "Pump up the Volume" By M.A.R.R.S 

Sorry for the long post,but I needed to get that off my chest.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

i think its funny that people watch tv and think they know everything going on. They think they know what the coaches and players are saying, every word. On top of that, they know 100% of a guys personality, on and off the court.

All from watching the game on NESN.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

To be fair, most of the top teams in the league are bad offensive rebounding teams (Spurs, Heat for example). Maybe the Spurs should fire Pop or trade him for Doc.

Sections
Shortcuts